PDA

View Full Version : Uverse wireless receiver

cantthinkofanything
12-04-2012, 12:32 PM
I can see the benefit of having a wireless receiver. But it's not so that I can move my fucking TV all around my property. Why are they making this the main point of their commercials?

leemajors
12-04-2012, 01:10 PM
cause they sure as hell can't brag about their internet service in my experience.

CubanMustGo
12-04-2012, 04:03 PM
I'd like to strangle the guy that came up with the idea for these commercials and all the little pricks who are saying how rough their childhood was without a fucking wireless DVR.

mrsmaalox
12-04-2012, 04:08 PM
cause they sure as hell can't brag about their internet service in my experience.

Totally sucks. I hated AT&T before, I hate them even more now that they forced me into Uverse.

Sportcamper
12-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Totally sucks. I hated AT&T before, I hate them even more now that they forced me into Uverse.

Is it because your receivers drop off? When UVERSE works the programming is excellent…

mrsmaalox
12-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Is it because your receivers drop off? When UVERSE works the programming is excellent…

That may be the problem....I have 11 devices in my network, it's supposed to accomodate up to 13 so I know I'm pushing it. Uverse just randomly kicks a random device off the nework at least once a day; then it's a 30 minute battle of "cannot connect to network" "troubleshooter cannot diagnose" until I scream and give up. Then I'll come back later and that device will be on and something else is off. Constant battle :bang

cantthinkofanything
12-04-2012, 05:39 PM
That may be the problem....I have 11 devices in my network, it's supposed to accomodate up to 13 so I know I'm pushing it. Uverse just randomly kicks a random device off the nework at least once a day; then it's a 30 minute battle of "cannot connect to network" "troubleshooter cannot diagnose" until I scream and give up. Then I'll come back later and that device will be on and something else is off. Constant battle :bang

they are idiots. we kept having an issue with the TV receivers quit working and we'd have to reset them which takes forever and sometimes they wouldn't come back on. so I'd call and talk to some Indian for 30 minutes and go through the same process of turning off shit, turning it back on, resetting each receiver, then the router, and ending up with them having to reset it from their end. Every time I would explain from the beginning that I already did this and that they need to just reset from their end. But nooooo...we had to go through the same fucking 30 minute process anyway. Eventually, they said that because of bandwidth issues, they needed me to move the main receiver from the living room to the den so it would be closer to the router. Which sounded like BS but I switched them anyway. After this didn't work and more phone calls and three weeks later, they determined that we needed a new router.

jeebus
12-04-2012, 08:59 PM
I'd like to strangle the guy that came up with the idea for these commercials and all the little pricks who are saying how rough their childhood was without a fucking wireless DVR.
I despise that shit. They got 13 year olds talking to 9 year olds as if they've lived through the great depression. I wish a terrorist would detonate a dirty bomb in those kids houses.

robino2001
12-04-2012, 10:50 PM

We had a similar issue... finally nailed it down to a wireless speaker setup we were using in a bedroom not far from the gateway. That REALLY messed with our wi-fi... otherwise, I/we love our Uverse - especially compared to the other options in our area.

Sportcamper
12-05-2012, 06:46 AM
mrsmaalox- I am trying to figure out 11 devices? What do they all do? I have three TV’s & Internet & this past year I have had every problem described by others in this thread…The trick is to get to a level two technician from Texas to get things done…Over 12 months I have swapped out every piece of gear & now everything works fine…I noticed that there were changes made to the DVD’r, router and modem…UVERSE technicians NEVER show up the day they are scheduled in my area so the Level-2 technicians just send me the upgraded equipment & I install them myself…

The technical staff from India is beyond horrible…They just repeat everything you say & after an hour or so they will finally transfer you to level-2…

bus driver
12-05-2012, 09:31 AM
interesting, I have about 8 devices connected to my uverse internet and never have a problem with it or the tvs.

mrsmaalox
12-05-2012, 10:46 AM
mrsmaalox- I am trying to figure out 11 devices? What do they all do? I have three TV’s & Internet & this past year I have had every problem described by others in this thread…The trick is to get to a level two technician from Texas to get things done…Over 12 months I have swapped out every piece of gear & now everything works fine…I noticed that there were changes made to the DVD’r, router and modem…UVERSE technicians NEVER show up the day they are scheduled in my area so the Level-2 technicians just send me the upgraded equipment & I install them myself…

The technical staff from India is beyond horrible…They just repeat everything you say & after an hour or so they will finally transfer you to level-2…

I only have the U-seless internet. I have 3 teenagers, so our devices are 4 laptops, printer, 4 iphones, 2 tvs and whatever game systems or ipods they are using at whatever point. Personally, I just care about my laptop, phone and tv, but the continuous "Mom! I can't get wifi!" from those with limited data plans is extremely annoying.

ploto
12-05-2012, 11:21 AM
I was having some issues with the my U-verse that started a whole ordeal because they had to dig up the neighbor's yard to rewire something. They use contractors to dig, and they did not dig deep enough. Then, they did not come back in a timely manner to re-dig, and it rained in the hole. The rain caused AT&T to have to replace some whole huge thing that means we have great connectivity now!

I also eventually got lucky. The guy who finally fixed it all gave me his cell phone number and told me to call him directly. No more India!!

CubanMustGo
12-05-2012, 11:22 AM
I've had similar problems w/uVERSE in the past and all we have are two laptops, two cell phones, an iPod touch, a tablet, and a wireless printer. There are simply times when the LAST device simply can't get an IP address. If I shut off the wireless on one device the other one will connect, and then later it will let me turn the other device back on without problems. It's inconsistent as hell and infrequent so I haven't bothered trying to get AT&T to do anything about it. We're using the router/DVR that AT&T provided in 2008; one of these days I'll just get them swapped out.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Issue free with uverse for over 5+ years.

RGMCSE
12-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Can someone explain the benefits of having u-verse? I have Turbo roadrunner with my own wireless router with multiple universal wireless bridges/extenders throughout my house. I can have hundreds of devices connected to wifi at one time. On average I may have 8-10 devices connected without issue. Plus I have directv and love it! But then again I've been in the IT industry for 11 years and I fix my own tech issues. I rarely call tech support and even at that it's always been an issue on the ISP's side.

phxspurfan
12-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Can someone explain the benefits of having u-verse? I have Turbo roadrunner with my own wireless router with multiple universal wireless bridges/extenders throughout my house. I can have hundreds of devices connected to wifi at one time. On average I may have 8-10 devices connected without issue. Plus I have directv and love it! But then again I've been in the IT industry for 11 years and I fix my own tech issues. I rarely call tech support and even at that it's always been an issue on the ISP's side.

Its cheaper. By a lot.

leemajors
12-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Its cheaper. By a lot.

I'm paying $60 less a month with cable/phone thru TW and TV through Directv. I liked UVerse's TV offering, especially since it included Red Zone, but after two years my internet speeds decreased by half and they could do nothing to improve it, even running two new lines from the pole.

RGMCSE
12-06-2012, 01:39 PM
I just took a quick look at U-Verse best TV & Internet package for $95.00 a month which includes 360 channels and up to 12 mbps download speed / bandwidth. I looked at the channels and I will say that if you get the Starz and Showtime package standard that's pretty damn nice. However a bunch of those 360 channels are BS. 60 of them alone seem to be music channels and I didn't notice an extensive HD selection. That's reserved for their Add on channels.

With Directv you get a shit ton of HD channels standard plus a shit load of sport channels come standard as well. MLBTV, NFLTV, NBATV and Golf and hockey channels. Plus all kinds of fox sports regional channels. Not to mention the NFL package which I get every year. But the most important thing to me is the Bandwidth. I couldn't deal with just 12mbps. I'm pulling over 20 right now with TW and I'm tempted to get more. In my house someone will be downloading something or streaming netflix and or slingbox tv or playing online games plus watching youtube videos or something like that. This happens on a daily basis. My family doesnt even realize why we can do all this cool shit online all at once. They just know it works. I could just imagine if I dropped the bandwidth to save a few bucks. The wining and looks I would get.:lol

trypldubl
12-06-2012, 04:36 PM
I have had U-Verse for a few years now and its better than TW. I have the U-300 with all the premium movie channels, mid speed internet and 3 recievers for about $98.00. At one time I had a good deal on the U-450 or whatever with the hightest internet speed and paying on $73.00 for a while. I just have to negotiate prices with them if my bill goes up or promotions expepire. Thats the only downside but other than that no real issues....the DVR cannot be wireless though.