PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Surface Struggles to Ship A Million Units

ElNono
12-05-2012, 01:01 PM
"While some see potential in Microsoft's Surface tablet, most industry watchers appear to have written off the device at this point. Orders were reportedly cut in half following a slow launch, and Microsoft's debut slate has been hammered time and time again by reviewers and analysts. The latest to pile on is Boston-based brokerage firm Detwiler Fenton, which estimates that when all is said and done, Microsoft will have sold fewer than 1 million Surface tablets (http://bgr.com/2012/12/05/microsoft-surface-sales-q4-2012-est/) in the slate's debut quarter..."

Drachen
12-05-2012, 01:40 PM
I will be honest, this kinda sucks. I am intrigued by MSs offering, but mostly I want competition.

lefty
12-05-2012, 01:43 PM
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab282/smokyoner/roflcopter.gif

baseline bum
12-05-2012, 03:44 PM
LOL Microsoft the new TOSB.

resistanze
12-05-2012, 03:59 PM
http://www.corporate-eye.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Microsoft-Store-AZ-outside.jpg
:lmao Microsoft Stores
:lmao Exact copy of Apple store
:lmao not trendy

Drachen
12-05-2012, 05:57 PM
http://www.corporate-eye.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Microsoft-Store-AZ-outside.jpg
:lmao Microsoft Stores
:lmao Exact copy of Apple store
:lmao not trendy

I like the logo.

baseline bum
12-05-2012, 08:37 PM
I like the logo.

BSOD would have been more fitting tbh

Drachen
12-05-2012, 09:23 PM
eh. I haven't gotten BSOD in about 4-5 years

baseline bum
12-05-2012, 09:48 PM
eh. I haven't gotten BSOD in about 4-5 years

Me neither since switching to Linux. :toast

ElNono
12-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Ballmer needed to go about 3-4 years ago. Probably after the Vista fiasco. Not sure what they're thinking.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-06-2012, 12:04 AM
Ball <---

----> ........................... ----> .................................................. ........................Microsoft

Brunodf
12-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Windows 8 RT sucks, the Windows 8 PRO is the real deal

ElNono
12-06-2012, 01:07 AM
^ in what sense? Windows 7 was good enough.

DJ Mbenga
12-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Windows 8 RT sucks, the Windows 8 PRO is the real deal

problem is microsoft couldnt price things competitively or they would fuck their relationships with their companies. apple has no problem they can just say jump and its done. in microsofts perfect world they would have priced it at 499 with the keyboard for free 399 without. and people would have bought them, i would have. it combined tablet, school productivity (MS office) and a fantastic hardware.
problem is the consumer has this psychology that if the product isnt priced below the ipad its inferior no matter what. they cant get it out of their heads

leemajors
12-07-2012, 10:11 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/07/gaming-company-derides-microsoft-rt-marketplace-/

UK gaming outfit Rubicon has castigated Microsoft after claiming a Windows RT port of its Great Big War Game made a meager £52 ($83) in its first week in the store. The company was particularly incensed at Redmond's lack of promotional features to help the title's visibility, claiming that "if you're familiar with (its) new store, this means our app is forever consigned to the garbage bin." The company added that the iOS, Android "and even RIM" stores have promoted the app, which it said was widely lauded, and felt that after investing £10,000 on the port, "we got spat on" by the software giant. The developer punctuated its blog statement by saying it won't work with Microsoft again, and "that store is going to look mighty bleak for a long time to come" if it doesn't change its policy. No doubt there's some sour grapes getting squeezed here, but it's fair to say that RT is much in need of some sweeter news.

MannyIsGod
12-07-2012, 12:19 PM
This really sucks because having a fully functional tablet capable of running office apps is exactly what I want. Its too expensive though. I'd rather get a convertible ultrabook. I'm about 6-7 month from a laptop purchase and when that time comes I hope there is something lightweight with tablet like functionality that is running full windows 8 because that is really what I want from a new device. Oh, and long battery life.

CuckingFunt
12-07-2012, 01:31 PM
This really sucks because having a fully functional tablet capable of running office apps is exactly what I want. Its too expensive though. I'd rather get a convertible ultrabook. I'm about 6-7 month from a laptop purchase and when that time comes I hope there is something lightweight with tablet like functionality that is running full windows 8 because that is really what I want from a new device. Oh, and long battery life.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts. Except, with a five-year-old laptop that's seriously showing it's age, I'm probably a lot closer to an upgrade than 6-7 months. I was really hoping the Surface would be good, but the reviews just point out too many things wrong with both design and functionality for me to be interested. I'm somewhat intrigued by the Lenovo Yoga, but there's still nothing on the market that seems to fit exactly what I'm looking for. Which is odd and frustrating, since I don't think what I'm looking for is particularly magical or difficult.

leemajors
12-07-2012, 02:08 PM
That pretty much sums up my thoughts. Except, with a five-year-old laptop that's seriously showing it's age, I'm probably a lot closer to an upgrade than 6-7 months. I was really hoping the Surface would be good, but the reviews just point out too many things wrong with both design and functionality for me to be interested. I'm somewhat intrigued by the Lenovo Yoga, but there's still nothing on the market that seems to fit exactly what I'm looking for. Which is odd and frustrating, since I don't think what I'm looking for is particularly magical or difficult.

I wonder if this is a widespread sentiment, PC sales are still going down. I'm glad I have zero interest in laptops. I would take one if my job handed out one, but otherwise not interested.

CuckingFunt
12-07-2012, 03:05 PM
I wonder if this is a widespread sentiment, PC sales are still going down. I'm glad I have zero interest in laptops. I would take one if my job handed out one, but otherwise not interested.

I don't really have much of an interest in laptops, either. I've ended up with one because as a college student I like knowing I can have all of my homework with me and unlimited computer access when I travel, rather than hoping to get a few hours with someone else's computer or that I remembered to load everything I needed onto my flash drive. But in general I've always thought they occupy some sort of inconvenient middle ground where they're not beefy or reliable enough (or comfortable enough for long term use) to function like a desktop, but also not small/stripped down enough to really be portable.

My ideal situation would be to have a really nice desktop that I could use for long computing/homework sessions and that functioned as storage and media center, and something super portable that mostly functioned as a tablet, but had a usable/convenient keyboard and could run, say, Word and OneNote. That's it. But there's really nothing like that on the market.

Drachen
12-07-2012, 04:18 PM
I don't really have much of an interest in laptops, either. I've ended up with one because as a college student I like knowing I can have all of my homework with me and unlimited computer access when I travel, rather than hoping to get a few hours with someone else's computer or that I remembered to load everything I needed onto my flash drive. But in general I've always thought they occupy some sort of inconvenient middle ground where they're not beefy or reliable enough (or comfortable enough for long term use) to function like a desktop, but also not small/stripped down enough to really be portable.

My ideal situation would be to have a really nice desktop that I could use for long computing/homework sessions and that functioned as storage and media center, and something super portable that mostly functioned as a tablet, but had a usable/convenient keyboard and could run, say, Word and OneNote. That's it. But there's really nothing like that on the market.

You should be able to do this soon since there is supposed to be an office app for tablets (IOS and Android) coming soon, but even if they are shitty, you can get your desktop and get a tablet and use splashtop desktop to access your computer when you are on the go (with wifi or mobile data). It basically allows you to remotely access your desktop computer and use all of the programs on there through your tablet. It is a pretty cool solution and requires pretty much zero vpn/remote desktop setup knowhow.

MannyIsGod
12-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Yeah I"m not in love with splashtop though. I definitely want a laptop like device. I think the surface is actually exactly what I want because I sometimes need that keyboard but not always. I love tablets but I want a tablet with more functionality like a full fledged PC. The programs I need to run are basically Excel, Word, Powerpoint, and MATLAB. ArcGIS functionality would also be good but I am not likely to use that much in the coming months.

Drachen
12-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Yeah I"m not in love with splashtop though. I definitely want a laptop like device. I think the surface is actually exactly what I want because I sometimes need that keyboard but not always. I love tablets but I want a tablet with more functionality like a full fledged PC. The programs I need to run are basically Excel, Word, Powerpoint, and MATLAB. ArcGIS functionality would also be good but I am not likely to use that much in the coming months.

keyboard and mouse functionality as an option on my tablet are awesome so I totally agree with you there. I am notgoing to try to sell you on splash top, but if there is something specific that you don't like, there are other options.

ElNono
12-08-2012, 01:11 AM
the problem is that a lot of you guys want the ipad-type of portability and battery life with a 3.2 Ghz Ivy bridge and a gpu in it... and the tech just isn't quite there yet...

baseline bum
12-08-2012, 01:25 AM
the problem is that a lot of you guys want the ipad-type of portability and battery life with a 3.2 Ghz Ivy bridge and a gpu in it... and the tech just isn't quite there yet...

When does the 4TB ipad come out son? It also needs RAID for my pr0n.

ElNono
12-08-2012, 02:05 AM
When does the 4TB ipad come out son? It also needs RAID for my pr0n.

It's all stored in the iCloud, tbh :lol

tbh, I just installed a 256GB SSD on my Ivy Bridge boxen at work and I'm all giddy with the 260Mb/s write and 530 Mb/s (:wow) read speeds...

To top it off, our Verizon FIOS business line just got upgraded to 35Mb/s up and 75Mb/s down for the same price... xmas came early this year...

leemajors
12-08-2012, 09:51 AM
You should be able to do this soon since there is supposed to be an office app for tablets (IOS and Android) coming soon, but even if they are shitty, you can get your desktop and get a tablet and use splashtop desktop to access your computer when you are on the go (with wifi or mobile data). It basically allows you to remotely access your desktop computer and use all of the programs on there through your tablet. It is a pretty cool solution and requires pretty much zero vpn/remote desktop setup knowhow.

Chrome remote desktop is even easier

Clipper Nation
12-08-2012, 01:49 PM
:lol The haters were hoping and praying that Team Apple would fall off, but #WeStacked tbh... there will never be real competition to the iPad, imho...

MannyIsGod
12-09-2012, 04:57 AM

Nah, I'd be happy with a 1.6 mhz ivy :)

MannyIsGod
12-09-2012, 04:59 AM
:lol The haters were hoping and praying that Team Apple would fall off, but #WeStacked tbh... there will never be real competition to the iPad, imho...

The fuck? There's lots of competition with the ipad and much of it is just as good and cheaper. Team Apple? SMH.

ElNono
12-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Nah, I'd be happy with a 1.6 mhz ivy :)

I suspect you mean GHz? :lol

The 3317U does 1.7GHz non-turbo, possibly 1.6GHz in low power mode, but it's still a 14W chip even in that low-power mode. Intel needs to get to 3W-7W TDP to compete with ARM power-wise, and thus start seeing the same battery life improvements. Probably the next generation or two of Intel CPUs...

baseline bum
12-09-2012, 05:21 PM
I suspect you mean GHz? :lol

The 3317U does 1.7GHz non-turbo, possibly 1.6GHz in low power mode, but it's still a 14W chip even in that low-power mode. Intel needs to get to 3W-7W TDP to compete with ARM power-wise, and thus start seeing the same battery life improvements. Probably the next generation or two of Intel CPUs...

C'mon son, my 5MHz Zenith was the shit yo

MannyIsGod
12-09-2012, 05:37 PM
lol oh shit. Turning the clock back.