PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: ***Unofficial Pau Gasol Trade Prediction Thread***

12-05-2012, 03:52 PM
What will the Lakers end up getting for Pau? Even casual basketball fans know that Gasol is not a PF in Pringles' system. He's also far too talented to be backing up Howard. My prediction is that the Lakers will try to raid the roster of a fringe playoff team to get some 3 point shooters and a backup/stretch center back. Fringe playoff teams that Gasol can put over the top include the Bucks, Warriors, Denver, and Rockets (not sure if they are still tanking).

Mal
12-05-2012, 03:57 PM
What can Sota offer them other than Derrick Williams ?

Koolaid_Man
12-05-2012, 04:03 PM
What will the Lakers end up getting for Pau? Even casual basketball fans know that Gasol is not a PF in Pringles' system. He's also far too talented to be backing up Howard. My prediction is that the Lakers will try to raid the roster of a fringe playoff team to get some 3 point shooters and a backup/stretch center back. Fringe playoff teams that Gasol can put over the top include the Bucks, Warriors, Denver, and Rockets (not sure if they are still tanking).

not sure but after seeing this he's definitely on the chopping block...

Kobe Heaps Support Upon Pau Gasol
Amid rising pressure and growing trade speculation smothering the ailing Pau Gasol, Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant offered his strongest public support to date to back the Spaniard with whom he has won two NBA championships.

“I love Pau like a brother,” Bryant told ESPNLosAngeles.com on Tuesday. “I really do. I want him to dominate like I know he can.”

“I want him to dig in and be determined, not discouraged,” Bryant continued. “We should go to him more on the post because he can dominate from there as he has to the tune of two rings. I’m sure we will adjust and figure out a balance when he comes back healthy.”

LkrFan
12-05-2012, 04:06 PM
:lol - Pau's not going anywhere. Just like you guys are resting Leonard (for the same ailment), the Lakers are (finally) resting Pau. As you guys saw v. Houston Jamison and Hill held down the PF spot pretty well in Pau's absence.

If Howard were a better FT shooter, I'd believe Pau is out of here too. He can anchor our defense but is an offensive liability down the stretch like Shaq was. Teams will employ Hack-a-Dwight more regularly until he starts making 'em:

Rockets interim coach Kelvin Sampson on Hack-a-Dwight: "One, it gets the ball out of Kobe's hands. There's not a better fourth-quarter player in this league than Kobe. They set the rhythm. It was hard for us to get them out of that rhythm. ... It comes under the category: 'You do what you have to do to win the game.' "

So no, I don't see Pau going anywhere. If it's a close game in the 4th they can slide Pau in at the 5 an eradicate ^ det strategy.

I would like to see Jamison start and bring Pau off the bench Manu-style. Pau would beast in the 2nd unit and could still close quarters/games at center.

Mugen
12-05-2012, 04:28 PM
:lol - Pau's not going anywhere. Just like you guys are resting Leonard (for the same ailment), the Lakers are (finally) resting Pau. As you guys saw v. Houston Jamison and Hill held down the PF spot pretty well in Pau's absence.

If Howard were a better FT shooter, I'd believe Pau is out of here too. He can anchor our defense but is an offensive liability down the stretch like Shaq was. Teams will employ Hack-a-Dwight more regularly until he starts making 'em:

So no, I don't see Pau going anywhere. If it's a close game in the 4th they can slide Pau in at the 5 an eradicate ^ det strategy.

I would like to see Jamison start and bring Pau off the bench Manu-style. Pau would beast in the 2nd unit and could still close quarters/games at center.

:lol LkrFan with the basketball bads per the usual.

First of all, Hill is strictly a center in Pringles' system. He's going right back to DNP - CDs when Pau gets back.

Second, no way in hell Pringles sits Howard out during the 4th. Not until D12 signs that extension. Absolutely can't risk pissing off a baby like dwight to the point where he wants to leave at season's end. Making sure dwight resigns is just as important as winning the championship in the eyes of the Laker FO. Much more likely that Pau continues to ride the pine in favor of Jamison to close games.

Third, not every player can accept coming off the bench like classy Manu :cry. Pau doesn't seem to be happy with Pringles since he's gotten there and i'm sure he doesn't appreciate being scapegoated by kobe nuthuggers ever since Brown was fired. I'd say there's zero chance Pau would be happy with a 6th man role.

The Lakers will absolutely be looking to trade Pau. The only reason it might not get done is because they can't find a team to bend over like past seasons, but sure as hell won't be for lack of trying.

LkrFan
12-05-2012, 04:42 PM
:lol LkrFan with the basketball bads per the usual.

First of all, Hill is strictly a center in Pringles' system. He's going right back to DNP - CDs when Pau gets back.

That's your opinion. Hill's jumper has improved and is pretty reliable up to about 17'. He can play PF or C.

Second, no way in hell Pringles sits Howard out during the 4th. Not until D12 signs that extension. Absolutely can't risk pissing off a baby like dwight to the point where he wants to leave at season's end. Making sure dwight resigns is just as important as winning the championship in the eyes of the Laker FO. Much more likely that Pau continues to ride the pine in favor of Jamison to close games.
i didn't say the whole 4th quarter. Reading is fundamental. I said end of quarters/games (i.e. "down the stretch") when det tactic is viable. He'll, PJ used to take Shaq out. Why couldn't Pringles do the same with Howard?

Third, not every player can accept coming off the bench like classy Manu :cry. Pau doesn't seem to be happy with Pringles since he's gotten there and i'm sure he doesn't appreciate being scapegoated by kobe nuthuggers ever since Brown was fired. I'd say there's zero chance Pau would be happy with a 6th man role.
I'll bet there's $19M reasons why he would accept it and thrive. Odom didn't like it either. 2 rings and a sixth man of the year later, even he'll admit it was the right move. It's not like Pau can't still play starter's minutes to put up numbers.

The Lakers will absolutely be looking to trade Pau. The only reason it might not get done is because they can't find a team to bend over like past seasons, but sure as hell won't be for lack of trying.
Maybe, maybe not. I'm just of the belief that he is staying. He has the best low post game on the team. As soon as Pringles figures out that he shouldn't be shooting jumpers all game we'll see Pau's true value as a player. If they trade him - so be it, but I doubt it.

ElNono
12-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Hard to put on your big boy pants when you're wearing a skirt, tbh...

Mugen
12-05-2012, 04:53 PM
That's your opinion. Hill's jumper has improved and is pretty reliable up to about 17'. He can play PF or C.

Not an opinion, that's fact. With Pau out last night, Center Dwight Howard played 34 minutes and his backup center Hill played 14 minutes. He can play either position but under Pringles, he's strictly a center.

i didn't say the whole 4th quarter. Reading is fundamental. I said end of quarters/games (i.e. "down the stretch") when det tactic is viable. He'll, PJ used to take Shaq out. Why couldn't Pringles do the same with Howard?

Phil NEVER benched O'Neal during Hack-a-Shaq. Mostly because Shaq would make it when it counted. Howard is just not as mentally strong as Shaq.

I'll bet there's $19M reasons why he would accept it and thrive. Odom didn't like it either. 2 rings and a sixth man of the year later, even he'll admit it was the right move. It's not like Pau can't still play starter's minutes to put up numbers.

Odom didn't mind because he was closing games while Baby Drew was hurt. You really think Pau is going to respond well to coming off the bench AND getting benched in crunch time?

Maybe, maybe not. I'm just of the belief that he is staying. He has the best low post game on the team. As soon as Pringles figures out that he shouldn't be shooting jumpers all game we'll see Pau's true value as a player. If they trade him - so be it, but I doubt it.

He has the best low post game in a system that doesn't care about the post. D'Antoni had said it before himself that post plays have no use in his system and only slow it down. Pringles will never figure out how to use Pau and that's why Mitch is going to be actively trading him by the beginning of January if not sooner.

Jodelo
12-05-2012, 04:57 PM

:lmao:lmao

Reck
12-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Mugen putting the hurting on lrkfan.

pass1st
12-05-2012, 05:47 PM
We can't really trade Pau for another PF and say it's an improvement when our choices will either be Smith or Amare. I'd have legitiment worries for the team if we got Amare for Pau, tbh. I've always said we should keep Pau, but he's been mediocre lately, even when it was him & Bynum (a pairing that favored him better). It's obvious he wants to stay a Laker, even though brass tried to trade him several times already.

He might have declined to the point where a smaller role will benefit him more than a larger one, such as being a 6th man benefited Odom more than being a starter did. Trading him will be a mistake unless we completely rip off a team again, which could very well happen tbh.

KL2
12-05-2012, 06:04 PM
There is no way LA gets Smith for Pau, I read last time LA asked ATL about it but they turned it down immediately lol. That probably leaves Stoudemire available, I really would love it if LA got him. Duncan owns him, it's a much better matchup for TD and the Spurs in general as he doesn't have as much length as Pau. Plus most of his scoring would be taken away.

Ace
12-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Pau is not going anywhere...

When Steve Nash signed with the Los Angeles Lakers, a source says he was promised that Pau Gasol would not be traded.

Nash was also considering offers from the Raptors and Knicks.

When Nash returns and plays with Gasol, the Lakers could conceivably ask him to reconsider.

Nash signed with the Lakers prior to their acquisition of Dwight Howard.

With Gasol struggling, his name has surfaced in trade speculation.

LkrFan
12-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Not an opinion, that's fact. With Pau out last night, Center Dwight Howard played 34 minutes and his backup center Hill played 14 minutes. He can play either position but under Pringles, he's strictly a center.
Part of the reason why Hill didn't play PF was because Jamison was on last night. Despite his putrid percentages last year in Cleveland, and the beginning of the year with Mike Clown, he has been balling in Pringle's system. Last night's 15 pt, 9 reb, 3 block night (on 6-11 FGAs, 3/4 3ptrs) proved that his 33 point game the other night wasn't really a fluke. Jamison just fits Pringle's system at PF moreso than Hill and from the looks of it, Pau as well. Hill not playing PF was two fold. Pau was not there to play C, so Hill had to back up Dwight. Jamison balling at PF for 37 minutes, left little used Earl Clark backing him up for the remaining 11 minutes.

Phil NEVER benched O'Neal during Hack-a-Shaq. Mostly because Shaq would make it when it counted. Howard is just not as mentally strong as Shaq.
This is a flat out lie. I've seen many times whereas Phil took Shaq out. It didn't happen all the time, but it happened several times.

Odom didn't mind because he was closing games while Baby Drew was hurt. You really think Pau is going to respond well to coming off the bench AND getting benched in crunch time?
More B.S. I'm too lazy to pull up the article, but LO was PISSED that Phil took him from the starting lineup. But once we saw how well could play off the bench, play starter's type minutes, close games with Pau (and Bynum on the bench), he embraced his new role and thrived in it.

But to answer your question, yes, I would expect Pau to respond well. He's a professional.

He has the best low post game in a system that doesn't care about the post. D'Antoni had said it before himself that post plays have no use in his system and only slow it down. Pringles will never figure out how to use Pau and that's why Mitch is going to be actively trading him by the beginning of January if not sooner.
There you go talking in absolutes again. :lol Time will tell if you are right or not. We'll see.

LkrFan
12-05-2012, 07:16 PM

You obviously don't watch Laker games. He's no Dirk or KG, but his jumper has improved. I've seen him hit plenty of 17' jumpers in the preseason and in this RS.

LkrFan
12-05-2012, 07:20 PM
We can't really trade Pau for another PF and say it's an improvement when our choices will either be Smith or Amare. I'd have legitiment worries for the team if we got Amare for Pau, tbh. I've always said we should keep Pau, but he's been mediocre lately, even when it was him & Bynum (a pairing that favored him better). It's obvious he wants to stay a Laker, even though brass tried to trade him several times already.

He might have declined to the point where a smaller role will benefit him more than a larger one, such as being a 6th man benefited Odom more than being a starter did. Trading him will be a mistake unless we completely rip off a team again, which could very well happen tbh.
Agreed. I say they need to just shut him down for a few weeks. Give Jamison his minutes then reacclimate him to the team later on. He will get the opportunity to heal and rest.

If they moved him to the 6th man role, I can't think of one team in the league that could handle what he would bring to our 2nd unit. It needs to happen, tbh.

pass1st
12-05-2012, 07:22 PM

Before
http://vorped.com/bball/index.php/player/shotchart/894-Jordan-Hill/season/2011-2012-POST

After
http://vorped.com/bball/index.php/player/shotchart/894-Jordan-Hill

12-05-2012, 07:51 PM
What can Sota offer them other than Derrick Williams ?
i didn't include the wolves since kevin love and pekovic seem to be working out well together in the front court.

midnightpulp
12-05-2012, 08:31 PM
There's not a better fourth-quarter player in this league than Kobe.

People still believe this myth?

Latarian Milton
12-05-2012, 09:13 PM
dude is a C n he only played PF for lakers because they had bynum/DH. dude would be an excellent piece to fit the C in a princeton system when he has all the attributes needed for him to succeed in that system, like passing, vision, shooting etc...

purplengold
12-06-2012, 02:43 PM
look like raptors n wolves wanted Pau but Mitch stop trade talks recently

Clipper Nation
12-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Lakers should have sold high, tbh...

Gasol's Trade Value Falling Dec 06, 2012 2:15 PM EST

http://basketball.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/wiretap/photos/2006/Gasol_Pau_lal_120308.jpg The Los Angeles Lakers have reportedly received inquiries for Pau Gasol, but Gasol's trade value is dropping.
"Now you have to wonder if some of his performance issues are knee-related," one NBA general manager with past interest said on Wednesday.
Gasol, 32, has missed the past two games due to knee tendinitis.

pass1st
12-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Lakers should have sold high, tbh...

Like we sold Kwame Brown high? :lol

Richie
12-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Gasol for SJax, Bonner, Mills. Do it.

irishock
12-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Gasol for SJax, Bonner, Mills. Do it.

Ur gonna have to at least give up Kawhi as well.

Richie
12-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Ur gonna have to at least give up Kawhi as well.

Obviously the Spurs aren't giving up Kawhi, but considering the Lakers got offered a package of Pekovic and Williams they should see how low Gasols trade value it.

Bonner is exactly the player the Lakers need, SJax would have to go to make the salaries work (and he is another big time 3 point shooter), we could also give them players like Mills and Neal to fill out their bench and both are far superior to Blake at the point.

I actually think Bonner/Jax/Neal/Mills for Gasol works for both teams. If anything, I'd be worried about giving the Lakers that much shooting and depth for an injured Gasol.

LakeShow
12-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Agreed. I say they need to just shut him down for a few weeks. Give Jamison his minutes then reacclimate him to the team later on. He will get the opportunity to heal and rest.

If they moved him to the 6th man role, I can't think of one team in the league that could handle what he would bring to our 2nd unit. It needs to happen, tbh.

As usual Lakers fans are the only ones to know wtf their talking about. :toast I've been saying that we should start Hill and bring Gasol and Jamison off the bench, Just like Lakers greats James Worthy and Robert Horry have said. Hill is perfect for the PF position. His energy with MWP at the beginning of the game would be unmatched. He has shown to be able to make the short jumpers, and good defense and the ability to get out of Howards way. I have mixed feelings about Gasol, I'm tired of seeing his weak ass constantly getting pushed around by C, PF, SF, SG and PG's. If I had my way I would have shipped his ass out a long time ago BUT the lakers should not just give him away. If they can't get equal value for him, Like you guys have suggested, I would not trade him.

TD 21
12-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Though it's difficult to envision Bargnani playing for the Lakers and them not robbing someone blind in a blockbuster trade, if they become desperate enough and are worried about Nash's durability, I could see this going down . . .

To Lakers: Bargnani, Calderon

To Timberwolves: Gasol

To Raptors: Pekovic, Williams, Barea

The Lakers would probably insist on the Timberwolves/Raptors taking one of Blake/Duhon, which would mean a couple other contracts also switch teams to make it all work.

Latarian Milton
12-07-2012, 01:52 AM
trade is pending n will be done by christmas tbh. dude gon be a great fit for mavs system, a big who can pass and play D, a big upgrade over kaman at least. mavs got some exciting assets that _'antonie will be interested in (marion + fillers) and im guessing there waiting till christmas because kaman is gonna be the "filler" n he cannot be traded before christmas. if they not trading him to dallas pau be already gone tbh

colargol
12-07-2012, 03:37 AM
Manu and Bonner for Gasol

purplengold
12-07-2012, 03:42 AM
trade is pending n will be done by christmas tbh. dude gon be a great fit for mavs system, a big who can pass and play D, a big upgrade over kaman at least. mavs got some exciting assets that _'antonie will be interested in (marion + fillers) and im guessing there waiting till christmas because kaman is gonna be the "filler" n he cannot be traded before christmas. if they not trading him to dallas pau be already gone tbh

you think gasol gon pull an odom if he sent ta Mavs?

pookenstein
12-07-2012, 04:56 AM
Just imagine a straight up trade Amare for Pau from NY's pov.
They'd have a bigmanrotation of Chandler, Gasol, Sheed, Camby, Thomas and Melo for smallball. :wow

whitemamba
12-07-2012, 04:59 AM
Just imagine a straight up trade Amare for Pau from NY's pov.
They'd have a bigmanrotation of Chandler, Gasol, Sheed, Camby, Thomas and Melo for smallball. :wow

la would never do that..plus amare will probably make the knicks worse.

Latarian Milton
12-07-2012, 08:53 AM
amare ain't gonna help lakers as much as marion would imho, marion has better mobility n plays solid D, and would be a better fit for the PF role than amare in _'antonie's system if he moves there. kaman's contract is gon expire come the end of season and there was a reason why mavs only signed him to a 1yr contract. they just intentionally made a great trading asset of him imho, like the signing of gooden in 09' summer if i remember correct