PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Inexplicably Hyped Role Players

timvp
12-06-2012, 03:30 AM
Eric Maynor - He sucks and has always sucked. The highlights of his career have been just not Westbricking and instead passing it to Durant. Yet somehow part of the justification of trading away Harden was that Maynor would be :cryback:cry

Nick Young - His shot selection makes JR Smith seem like John Stockton. Doesn't pass. Doesn't rebound. Doesn't play defense. Doesn't do anything other than chuck ... and he's not even that good of a shooter.

Norris Cole - He's just really got damn bad at basketball. He was bad last year as a rookie and is now even worse. Yet, you catch a Heat game and the talk is like he's some up and coming stud.

Samuel Dalembert - He's from a great island but there's a reason no one wants him despite his decent to good numbers: he has no instincts. Just basketball dumb.

CJ Watson - Somehow he was considered a quality backup for Derrick Rose. Truth is he was damn bad both years in Chicago. They let him walk and now he's bad in Brooklyn.

Who u got?

JMarkJohns
12-06-2012, 03:41 AM
Eric Maynor hit a game-winner in the 2007 NCAA Tourney that led VCU over JJ Redick's Duke. To me, this by itself explicables Maynor's hype.

Malik Hairston
12-06-2012, 04:17 AM
Completely agree with Maynor and Cole, especially Cole..

I'd have to think about other current players, but Courtney Lee was hyped all off-season and he was hyped when Houston acquired him..he had a decent rookie season and has progressively become shittier..

For this past decade, I'll list players that were on virtually every forum wishlist during every off-season, despite the lack of production from these players..

- Hakim Warrick
- Chris Wilcox
- Travis Outlaw
- Mickael Pietrus
- Sean Williams
- Ike Diogu

LkrFan
12-06-2012, 04:28 AM
Kawai Leonard. :downspin:

Jeff Van Gundy
12-06-2012, 04:39 AM
George Hill

rayjayjohnson
12-06-2012, 04:54 AM
cue asshurt spurfan whining about bonner.

bonner up, bitches.

AussieFanKurt
12-06-2012, 05:00 AM
In 2K13 Nick Young virtually never misses a shot, his offense is like 90+. So odd considering he doesn't even do this

rayjayjohnson
12-06-2012, 05:01 AM
ok, srsly tho:

Iman Shumpert - No offensive game to speak of, has a nose that looks like his haircut and only got props for D because, Chandler aside, the N:lolw Y:lolrk Kn:lolcks may as well not bother running back each time Melo and JR brick one.

Dwight Howard - He's a shell of his former self. I can't wait until he turns the Rockets into Magic 2.0

Brandon Jennings - I'll wait until it's not a contract year to change my mind

Andrew Bogut - I'm sick of hearing "when Bogut gets back". Bogut is from Geelong. Any Australians here know what this means. He's like a fat housing commission resident cashing that pension cheque.

Damien Lillard - :lmao tlong. :lmao chucker. :lmao knees

Paranoid Pop
12-06-2012, 05:55 AM
Manu Ginobili
Tiago Splitter

:king

Ace
12-06-2012, 07:21 AM
Perkins - Great floor leader :cry

racm
12-06-2012, 07:28 AM
Kendrick Perkins - I still do not understand how Sam Presti extended him and paid him 8 million a year even before he suited up for OKC, preventing them from retaining Harden.
The entire Sacramento Kings team - Wizards west, tbh. How can this be a talented squad when they all need the ball to play? Wish Chuck Hayes got out of there tbh, he'd be great on a contender.
Nicolas Batum - for every great game he gets he gets a 1-15, 1-10 from 3 game, tbh

thunderfan
12-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Eric Maynor? He's not been sharp this year, I'll grant you that. Something seems amiss since recovering from his ACL injury. Prior to that though, he was fantastic or OKC. I'm not sure how hyped the guy was. I never thought of him as a guy people just raved about, but he was a solid player and did what OKC needed him to do and did it extremely well. To say that he "sucks and has always sucked" is very puzzling to me. Sucks in the sense that he's not Chris Paul or D-Rose? I guess so. He played his role very well for OKC though. On an irrelevent side note - Eric Maynor is the best half court buzzer beater shooter in the NBA. The amount of half court makes or near makes from this guy is just creepy.

elemento
12-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Agree with the list tim. I would add:

Shannon Brown - Kobe wannabe. Teams pay him to imitate Kobe and jump. He can't do anything else. Zero BBIQ and putrid shot selection.
Anthony Randolph - typical case where teams keep paying/hoping for potential.
Landry Fields - got massive hype from NY fans because he was a 2nd round pick. He can't shoot, he is average/bellow average in everything else but still got 6m/year contract from the Raps.

Funny that for every inexplicably hyped role player there is a really underrated/undervalued role player. Carl Landry (4m), Jeremy Pargo (1m), Tony Allen(3.3m), Mike Dunleavy (3.7m), Ronnie Brewer (min). All massive steals for their price tags.

Clipper Nation
12-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Kobe Bryant...

Juggity
12-06-2012, 08:35 AM
Kawai Leonard. :downspin:

Who's "Kawai Leonard"?

KL2
12-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Definitely Kobe, it's like shaqs been erased from laker history when they talk about the first 3 ships.

Latarian Milton
12-06-2012, 08:49 AM
rashard lewis, dude & allen remade the old seattle combo in miami but only half of it is functioning well. lewis can't fucking rebound and can't hit shit, just watch his current game you'd never imagine such a player could sign a contract worth 100+ million tbh

spurspokesman
12-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Im glad someone said shumpert.

Jodelo
12-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Jordan Crawford

Bynumite
12-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Definitely the "future face of the spurs" according to Pop, future DPOY, all star starter etc. Kiwi Leo.

racm
12-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Agree with the list tim. I would add:

Shannon Brown - Kobe wannabe. Teams pay him to imitate Kobe and jump. He can't do anything else. Zero BBIQ and putrid shot selection.
Anthony Randolph - typical case where teams keep paying/hoping for potential.
Landry Fields - got massive hype from NY fans because he was a 2nd round pick. He can't shoot, he is average/bellow average in everything else but still got 6m/year contract from the Raps.

Funny that for every inexplicably hyped role player there is a really underrated/undervalued role player. Carl Landry (4m), Jeremy Pargo (1m), Tony Allen(3.3m), Mike Dunleavy (3.7m), Ronnie Brewer (min). All massive steals for their price tags.

Carl Landry and Mike Dunleavy are putting together Sixth Man of the Year worthy seasons. Both outperforming the guy who's making more than 10 mill off a certain bench, tbh :downspin:

Kidd K
12-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Agreed with Maynor being overhyped. He gets his name dropped a ton despite being below average. I think his hype mainly (if not solely) stems from being out last year. I'm guessing the media hyped him up to make people think the Thunder had even more potential than they really did by lauding Maynor like he was the best backup PG in the NBA, and the Thunder were just that amazing for not dropping off when he got hurt.

I think Dalembert is okay though. His numbers look better than he really is, but you usually don't hear much about how amazing he is besides by his own team's announcers liking him. I wouldn't mind having him on the Spurs tbh. If he didn't carry the same pricetag anyway.

My picks, I'm going with Tyrus Thomas. He can occaisionally make a nice defensive play and has some pretty nice athleticism no doubt, but his head's barely in the game half the time and he's a chucker on offense.

Brunodf
12-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Blair, has been spurs starting Center(or PF) in the last 2 seasons and can't play any defense or offense, low BBIQ, makes TD play against two 7' alone.

thunderfan
12-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Agreed with Maynor being overhyped. He gets his name dropped a ton despite being below average. I think his hype mainly (if not solely) stems from being out last year. I'm guessing the media hyped him up to make people think the Thunder had even more potential than they really did by lauding Maynor like he was the best backup PG in the NBA, and the Thunder were just that amazing for not dropping off when he got hurt.

Maynor is solid. There's nothing spectacular about him, but he takes care of the ball and makes good decisions. Sets up guys well, shoots the ball reasonably well. Some in OKC would like to see Jackson get some time at backup PG. In preseason it was said that Jackson could potentially take the backup PG spot from Maynor. Jackson is Westbrook-like athletically and would have a lot more potential to create problems for defenses than Maynor does.

Kidd K
12-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Maynor is solid. There's nothing spectacular about him, but he takes care of the ball and makes good decisions. Sets up guys well, shoots the ball reasonably well. Some in OKC would like to see Jackson get some time at backup PG. In preseason it was said that Jackson could potentially take the backup PG spot from Maynor. Jackson is Westbrook-like athletically and would have a lot more potential to create problems for defenses than Maynor does.

I haven't seen much of Jackson, is he that good?

thunderfan
12-06-2012, 10:52 AM
I haven't seen much of Jackson, is he that good?

He's that athletic. He has a lot of potential. I guess Maynor has the higher bball IQ at this point though. Pretty impressive at 6'3 from the PG position:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4P8GNFukuc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__N0aOjCZ5c

purplengold
12-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Jamal Crawford, streaky n unreliable as fuck

irishock
12-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Bryant comes to mind.

Clipper Nation
12-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Jamal Crawford, streaky n unreliable as fuck
That's true, but his handles have always been worth the hype he gets, tbh....

purplengold
12-06-2012, 11:27 AM
That's true, but his handles have always been worth the hype he gets, tbh....

you musta been a rafer alston fan, Stacey

JRHernandez88
12-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Lamar Odom

Brazil
12-06-2012, 11:41 AM
ok, srsly tho:

Iman Shumpert - No offensive game to speak of, has a nose that looks like his haircut and only got props for D because, Chandler aside, the N:lolw Y:lolrk Kn:lolcks may as well not bother running back each time Melo and JR brick one.

Dwight Howard - He's a shell of his former self. I can't wait until he turns the Rockets into Magic 2.0

Brandon Jennings - I'll wait until it's not a contract year to change my mind

Andrew Bogut - I'm sick of hearing "when Bogut gets back". Bogut is from Geelong. Any Australians here know what this means. He's like a fat housing commission resident cashing that pension cheque.

Damien Lillard - :lmao tlong. :lmao chucker. :lmao knees

Except for Shumpert, you didn't list any role players tbh

DMC
12-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Blair, has been spurs starting Center(or PF) in the last 2 seasons and can't play any defense or offense, low BBIQ, makes TD play against two 7' alone.

I wouldn't call Blair "hyped" though. I wouldn't call George Hill hyped either.

thunderfan
12-06-2012, 12:00 PM
I wouldn't call Blair "hyped" though. I wouldn't call George Hill hyped either.

Yeah, that's why I disagree with Maynor being on the list. I don't really think he's hyped either.

JRHernandez88
12-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Except for Shumpert, you didn't list any role players tbh
LMAO. My thoughts exactly. Deserves a face palm, tbh.

timvp
12-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Maynor gets as much love nationally as any backup point guard in the league. Don't know how Thunder Fan can claim there is no hype surrounding him. Whenever the Thunder are talked about, there's always the "and then they have the prototypical true pass-first heady gritty gutty point guard off the bench Eric Maynor who offers a great change of pace" comment. It's as if Chris Paul is the backup point guard on OKC. Even last year, there were those numerous times during the Finals that the commentators would say ":cryand this young Thunder squad is doing all of this even without the great Eric Maynor who is out with a torn ACL:cry".

Maynor has pretty good point guard instincts (he's not as bad as, say, Norris Cole) but when you have the ceiling of John Crotty, you should never be discussed as the second coming, tbh.

thunderfan
12-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Maynor gets as much love nationally as any backup point guard in the league. Don't know how Thunder Fan can claim there is no hype surrounding him. Whenever the Thunder are talked about, there's always the "and then they have the prototypical true pass-first heady gritty gutty point guard off the bench Eric Maynor who offers a great change of pace" comment. It's as if Chris Paul is the backup point guard on OKC. Even last year, there were those numerous times during the Finals that the commentators would say ":cryand this young Thunder squad is doing all of this even without the great Eric Maynor who is out with a torn ACL:cry".

Maynor has pretty good point guard instincts (he's not as bad as, say, Norris Cole) but when you have the ceiling of John Crotty, you should never be discussed as the second coming, tbh.

Well I would agree that "The Great Eric Maynor" comments would be considered over-hyped. He is a pretty "heady", pass first, solid point guard who offers a change of pace. Those comments are accurate. I don't think that statement in itself suggests than anyone thinks he's Chris Paul. I do agree some of the national commentators are fairly ignorant. They tend to dramatize things. I rarely listen to them. I'm either at the game or watching the local announcers, so maybe I'm not really hearing the hype surrounding Eric Maynor. When he was playing well last year and the year before, I did hold the opinion that he was one of the better backup PG's in the league.

DAF86
12-06-2012, 03:47 PM
I laughed my ass off when I caught a Nets game earlier in the season and I saw Keith aka "the centerpiece" Bogans starting a game for them. I don't know if he's hyped per se but damn the coaches sure love 'em some Bogans.

Dude isn't even good enough to play in China, imho.

The Batman
12-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Definitely Kobe, it's like shaqs been erased from laker history when they talk about the first 3 ships.

http://campus.albion.edu/rrs13/files/2011/10/men_in_black_movie_image_tommy_lee_jones_and_will_ smith.jpg

Splits
12-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Not sure if Tyreke Evans is either overhyped or considered a role player, but his numbers have declined every year since his rookie season. He turns the ball over a ton, can't shoot the 3 at greater than 25% yet hoists 2 per game, and brings no intangibles for $7 million a year.

FkLA
12-06-2012, 07:14 PM
David Lee and Carlos Boozer. Classic examples of boxscore reporting.

racm
12-06-2012, 07:19 PM
David Lee and Carlos Boozer. Classic examples of boxscore reporting.

David Lee's been great this season. Boozer just sucks.

Golden State is 11-7 while the Bulls are 9-8, tbh...

FkLA
12-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Lee doesnt suck but hes made out to be a borderline all-star, which hes not imo.

racm
12-06-2012, 07:30 PM
He's not. He's made an All-Star team. :hat

monosylab1k
12-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Speaking of David Lee, has anyone mentioned Boris Diaw in this thread yet?

":cry but he'a such a good passer"

monosylab1k
12-06-2012, 08:23 PM
I laughed my ass off when I caught a Nets game earlier in the season and I saw Keith aka "the centerpiece" Bogans starting a game for them. I don't know if he's hyped per se but damn the coaches sure love 'em some Bogans.

Dude isn't even good enough to play in China, imho.
He's one of those guys coaches can trust because he'll never do anything stupid or crazy. He's the anti-JR Smith. Of course coaches forget he also never does anything particularly helpful either.

DAF86
12-06-2012, 08:30 PM
He's one of those guys coaches can trust because he'll never do anything stupid or crazy. He's the anti-JR Smith. Of course coaches forget he also never does anything particularly helpful either.

You go check the other thread, imho, tbh, fwiw, fbi.

TheCultOfPersonality
12-07-2012, 07:14 AM
I agree with anyone that says Kendrick Perkins and Lamar Odom.

Muser
12-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Anyone that the Spurs have ever had on 10-day/short contract i.e Pops Mensah-Bonsu.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Lee doesnt suck but hes made out to be a borderline all-star, which hes not imo.

:lmao he's sure as fuck better than Diaw this year you retarded bean eating sp!c

TDMVPDPOY
12-07-2012, 09:20 AM
lin..payin this clown 6m to sit on a bench, cant wait the final year of his current contract..payin a scrub 13m to sit