PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Front Runners For Greg Oden (article from August 2012)

LkrFan
12-06-2012, 05:37 AM
Size and defense were problems for the San Antonio Spurs before the Los Angeles Lakers traded for Dwight Howard. That trade made it even more important for the Spurs to improve their interior defense, whether that be from guys like Tiago Splitter getting better or from the team picking someone up through trade or free agency. We've heard the name Andray Blatche and there are still guys like Darko Milicic out there. Early Wednesday morning Fox Sports' Sam Amico tweeted another possibility, this one with the biggest boom or bust potential of them all.

"One NBA GM listed three teams he considers frontrunners for Greg Oden (in no order): Spurs, Pacers and Magic. The GM made sure to stress, however, "that's just my best guess." Oden is currently back at Ohio State, working toward a degree in sports and leisure."

There's nothing concrete there. This doesn't mean the Spurs have expressed interest in Oden, it just means that one general manager thinks they'd be a good fit. Perhaps that GM heard that from Oden's agent Mike Conley, Sr. or someone else close to Oden's camp. Considering the other options out there, taking a flier on Oden would be as good a move as possible. He probably wouldn't be very costly and if he doesn't work out then they'll part ways with him and keep their core and chemistry in tact.

Oden has gone on record to say he'd like to play this year, but he's not going to rush back if he's not ready. Smart move by Oden since he thinks this is part of the reason he hasn't been able to stay healthy. While Oden may not be available for several months, perhaps the Spurs should try to sign him soon, get him to San Antonio to continue rehabbing, while getting him accustomed to the Spurs system and culture. San Antonio would also be a great spot for Oden because is their a more out of the spotlight contender than the Spurs? Everyone's got either LA or Oklahoma City penciled in to face Miami in the Finals.

There's a lot of reasons the Spurs should make a run at Greg Oden but there's one big reason why they shouldn't. He's played 82 games over the last four years... total. I still think it's worth the risk.

LINK (http://www.projectspurs.com/2012-articles/august/amico-spurs-a-frontrunner-for-greg-oden.html)

Discuss sons. :toast

NickiRasgo
12-06-2012, 05:41 AM
Written by Trevor Zickgraf on Wednesday, 15 August 2012 00:41.

Paranoid Pop
12-06-2012, 05:42 AM
Can't even walk, please no.

AussieFanKurt
12-06-2012, 05:53 AM
:lol

LkrFan
12-06-2012, 06:02 AM
:lol
^ Gets it. :lol

baseline bum
12-06-2012, 06:18 AM
Perhaps Mitch should pick up the phone tbh... couldn't be worse than Howard and his 47% at the line.

DapDaGenius
12-06-2012, 06:37 AM
Yeah.....................let the Magic take him....

racm
12-06-2012, 07:00 AM
The Spurs already have an undersized center with no ACLs and their MVP-level center has tendinosis in one of his knees.

Would a guy with two uneven legs and no knees at all be an upgrade? :lol

spursparker9
12-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Mean nothing.

spursparker9
12-06-2012, 07:59 AM
If the Spurs didn't sign Curry or Kenyon Martin, why would they sign Oden?

MI21
12-06-2012, 09:07 AM
I am surprised Oden wasn't picked up by a team like Phoenix. The medical staff there have managed to get the rotting corpse of Jermaine O'Neal to perform... they could potentially do work with Oden.

Juggity
12-06-2012, 09:36 AM
:lol Lakers
:lol sub-.500 superteam
:lol damaged goods dwight howard
:lol damaged goods steve nash
:lol Kobe
:lol 30,000 of the emptiest points ever scored

bigfan
12-06-2012, 09:43 AM
They might sign him to sell Decker dogs in the upper seats.

bus driver
12-06-2012, 10:01 AM
i think they should take a chance on him. as a backup and for low money

Kidd K
12-06-2012, 10:37 AM
The Spurs can beat the Lakers as they're built right now. They don't need extra help to beat them. Lakers have been pretenders for years after their title by default year in 2010, going through the weakest (and injury-riddled) western conference in a decade. The Fakers aren't scaring anyone with how awful they're playing.

But yeah, I would take a chance on Oden for league minimum if I was the Spurs' GM, and Oden seemed to have some semblence of possibly being able to keep his body duct taped together long enough to make a difference. He doesn't have to have a major role. Just 12-18 minutes a game of solid play and no injuries would be nice.

Boomersgold
12-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Not a good idea. Oden at his best is a 10 point, 10 rebound player, which is what Tiago gives us anyway. The fact that he may never play basketball again makes him too much of a risk to sign.

KaiRMD1
12-06-2012, 01:15 PM
I think the Lakers front court is more a problem for the Lakers than the rest of the league. Also, no, Oden needs to play in the D-league to get his confidence back up and show whether he is decent.

JRHernandez88
12-06-2012, 01:26 PM
It would be funny to steal him and he stayed healthy...

freetiago
12-06-2012, 02:48 PM
hes a good guy for the minimum but no player is ever coming to san antonio
i hear his favorite player is david robinson though
and SA is a great place for a guy like him who said he had problems in the begining of his career staying focused and out partying too much
but this applies to a lot of guys and it never works for SA
just saying your interested in SA is a way for guys to up their trade value and show maturity

Juggity
12-06-2012, 02:59 PM
The only place he should be looking to end up is Phoenix

Thomas82
01-29-2013, 09:28 PM
It looks like Cleveland and Miami are the favorites to get him.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/29/report-cavaliers-heat-become-front-runners-to-land-oden/#

ThaBigFundamental21
01-29-2013, 10:27 PM
I don't why you wouldn't take a look at him if you are the Spurs, we all know the Spurs still need another big man. IF he stays healthy the Spurs are golden. Who better to manage his minutes than Pop??? I'm sure that is playing into Oden's mind.
His contract would most likely cheap and have some sort of injury clause. It's low risk high reward.

Ice009
01-30-2013, 01:45 AM
I don't why you wouldn't take a look at him if you are the Spurs, we all know the Spurs still need another big man. IF he stays healthy the Spurs are golden. Who better to manage his minutes than Pop??? I'm sure that is playing into Oden's mind.
His contract would most likely cheap and have some sort of injury clause. It's low risk high reward.

It's low risk, with possibly one of the biggest payoffs in NBA history. I don't care about his offense, but if healthy, he has the potential to be one of the best defenders in the NBA.

For a low salary, the Spurs are crazy if they haven't at least had a workout with him.

They need to pick the ball up and inspect it rather than dropping it.

baseline bum
01-30-2013, 01:51 AM
You just always wonder if he can be the next Ilgauskas. I never thought Big Z would play again after the constant foot injuries around 98, but low and behold he came back and played 11 years at a pretty nice level.

DrunkTXLabrat
01-30-2013, 01:56 AM
phoenix should have the edge for their record with old and injury prone guys. we should be second or equal for our record of careful minute watching. i guess i understand how the cavs and heat are appealing for him. i'd love to see him here for the minimum. i think he's a little foolish to be narrowing it down to those teams. if i were him and the spurs and suns obviously offer a better chance of staying healthy, that's the deal i'd sign.

Russ
01-30-2013, 02:06 AM
You just always wonder if he can be the next Ilgauskas.

Was that what Portland was thinking on draft night? :lol

I. Hustle
02-08-2013, 04:11 PM
http://sulia.com/channel/cleveland-cavaliers/f/c092c776-78bb-4a72-a8e8-b4630aa60851/?source=twitter

CGD
02-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Looks like the market may be set for him. Good chance for the Spurs to one up it if interested. Obviously a roster spot would have to be created by the trade deadline....