Birthdate: 11/5/86
NBA Position: Power Forward
Ht: 6-10
Wt: 230
Int Team: STB Le Havre
Hometown: Rouen, France

Stats

NBA Comparison: Emeka Okafor

Strengths: Ian is a real monster in the paint, using his good athleticism and long arms to grab tons of boards ... Reads the ball well off the rim, and even when he doesn't read it, his pure athleticism usually leads to the rebound ... Great length, wingspan and reflexes allow him to grab lots of long rebounds that would bounce right over most other player's heads... Defensively he is a beast ... Incredible reach allows him to alter and/or block shots other players wouldn't even think of contesting ... Has very quick hands, leading to lots of steals and tipped balls ... When Ian does score, many of his baskets come off tip ins and offensive rebounds ... This could account for his high shooting percentage (18-30 at 60% in Zaragoza) ... Very good at establishing position in the paint, reads the play very well when making cuts and calling for the ball ... Gets the ball in good position under the basket drawing lots of fouls ... A solid free throw shooter for a post player (70%) ... In fact, many of the points he scores come from free throws ... Runs the floor very well, and is one of those hustle players coaches always want on their team ... Always goes for the loose ball, blocked shot, or hustle rebound ... Has decent court vision when around the basket ... Foot work is good around the basket, but needs to add some moves to his arsenal ... His potential is considerable.

Weaknesses: At this point in his basketball career, he is still very raw and what many would call a "project" ... Still very raw offensively .... Has no shot outside of 8-10 feet ... Limited offensive skills, besides rebounding and dunking ... Strength is his biggest question mark right now. He is very good at establishing position down low, but is rarely strong enough to keep it ... Must pout on weight without losing much agility, but he's such a strong athlete, that shouldn't be a problem ... The same goes for rebounding... Must get better at anticipating shots and not try to block everything ...

-Rob Salvador 10/4/04

constantstate
06-28-2005, 09:27 PM
for those of us who have no clue.

from nbadraft.net

Ian Mahinmi

Strengths: Ian is a real monster in the paint, using his good athleticism and long arms to grab tons of boards ... Reads the ball well off the rim, and even when he doesn't read it, his pure athleticism usually leads to the rebound ... Great length, wingspan and reflexes allow him to grab lots of long rebounds that would bounce right over most other player's heads... Defensively he is a beast ... Incredible reach allows him to alter and/or block shots other players wouldn't even think of contesting ... Has very quick hands, leading to lots of steals and tipped balls ... When Ian does score, many of his baskets come off tip ins and offensive rebounds ... This could account for his high shooting percentage (18-30 at 60% in Zaragoza) ... Very good at establishing position in the paint, reads the play very well when making cuts and calling for the ball ... Gets the ball in good position under the basket drawing lots of fouls ... A solid free throw shooter for a post player (70%) ... In fact, many of the points he scores come from free throws ... Runs the floor very well, and is one of those hustle players coaches always want on their team ... Always goes for the loose ball, blocked shot, or hustle rebound ... Has decent court vision when around the basket ... Foot work is good around the basket, but needs to add some moves to his arsenal ... His potential is considerable.

Weaknesses: At this point in his basketball career, he is still very raw and what many would call a "project" ... Still very raw offensively .... Has no shot outside of 8-10 feet ... Limited offensive skills, besides rebounding and dunking ... Strength is his biggest question mark right now. He is very good at establishing position down low, but is rarely strong enough to keep it ... Must pout on weight without losing much agility, but he's such a strong athlete, that shouldn't be a problem ... The same goes for rebounding... Must get better at anticipating shots and not try to block everything ...

-Rob Salvador 10/4/04

JUUOT
06-28-2005, 09:28 PM
i wonder though if he will stay in france one more year. come in the development league or just come in to join the roster

Kori Ellis
06-28-2005, 09:28 PM
Everyone should post in this thread whatever you know about this guy. I don't know much about him at all.

I wonder if they will trade him.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-28-2005, 09:29 PM
He's tall and black.

constantstate
06-28-2005, 09:29 PM
i had just posted that on the viva la france thread. i dont know anything about him either. wow.

boutons
06-28-2005, 09:30 PM
Any French peuple know his ethnic background? Name sounds West Africain.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-28-2005, 09:31 PM
NBAdraft.net had him going 48th.

whottt
06-28-2005, 09:32 PM
After reading his scouting report I hope the Spurs keep him...

constantstate
06-28-2005, 09:32 PM
well the fact that he was in ny for the draft has to say something... but maybe not. no one knows if they'll even keep the pick or if they were drafting for someone else? he looks pretty promising, and it was good to hear the crowd STUNNED in ny. lol

SequSpur
06-28-2005, 09:33 PM
Sounds like a scrub to me.

MannyIsGod
06-28-2005, 09:33 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure they can't keep him overseas as some people are saying. The dude is a first rounder and has guarnteed money, I doubt he'd walk away from that.

However, I think it's plausible that he would play in NBDL under the new CBA rules.

TNT21
06-28-2005, 09:34 PM
Strengths: Ian is a real monster in the paint, using his good athleticism and long arms to grab tons of boards ... Reads the ball well off the rim, and even when he doesn't read it, his pure athleticism usually leads to the rebound ... Great length, wingspan and reflexes allow him to grab lots of long rebounds that would bounce right over most other player's heads... Defensively he is a beast ... Incredible reach allows him to alter and/or block shots other players wouldn't even think of contesting ... Has very quick hands, leading to lots of steals and tipped balls ... When Ian does score, many of his baskets come off tip ins and offensive rebounds ... This could account for his high shooting percentage (18-30 at 60% in Zaragoza) ... Very good at establishing position in the paint, reads the play very well when making cuts and calling for the ball ... Gets the ball in good position under the basket drawing lots of fouls ... A solid free throw shooter for a post player (70%)

GOODBYE RASHO!!

Marcus Bryant
A volleyball player from France? WTF?

SpursWoman
My son is thrilled there's an "Ian" on the team (for now anyway)... that's about all I know so far.

whottt
06-28-2005, 09:35 PM
His scouting report sounds like Dikembe Mutombo with quickness...

JUUOT
06-28-2005, 09:35 PM
kory can you glue the vive la france thread to this one i gave some info thx

drpill
06-28-2005, 09:36 PM
Sounds like another potential Buford-Popovich draft day steal... I like the idea of snatching an athletic 6-10 big late in the draft; sounds like he is incredibly raw but the Spurs will need length and athleticism up front in a couple years (they could use it right now) and this kid may be the solution. Given the spot in the draft, I like the pick a lot.

Guru of Nothing
Could this guy develop into a 3 - to guard the likes of TMac, Tayshaun, etc.

kolko
http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/headshots/ian-mahinmi-hd.jpg

JUUOT
by the way he is a national team staff favorite. he is considered as good as petro sine he is improving at an incredible rate

Kori Ellis
kory can you glue the vive la france thread to this one i gave some info thx

Okay, I merged them.

Thanks!

timvp
06-28-2005, 09:37 PM
Sounds like the Spurs' match for Amare Stoudemire. Stoudemire is going to be a top three player in the league soon, so the Spurs had to go out and get someone of his athletic build.

How can you doubt the Spurs draft brass? They always pull off gems.

If the Spurs feel good enough about him to give him guaranteed money, I'm guessing this is going to be a solid pick.

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2005, 09:39 PM
This pick makes sense. The Spurs are not likely to find immediate help at the 3 late in the first round so you might as well draft a young guy who you can stash in Europe or on your IR and work him through your program for a year or two. At a #28 pick's salary and with the ability to drop him after 2 years if there's no hope it's a good bet.

This guy sounds like a great athlete and if he fills out he could work out quite well. If not, hey, it was a late first round pick.

At least he didn't play for Paris Basket Racing...:smokin

NZHayden
2 French
2 Slovenians
2 Argentineans

1 New Zealander!

Horry For 3!
He sounds like the Spurs type of player. Dominates the boards and plays great defense.

Aggie Hoopsfan
Damn LJ beat me to it.

His frame and skill set sound like a future Amare clone.

Aggie Hoopsfan
BTW, now everyone is giving him cyberhead, we'll probably trade him. :lol

Mark in Austin
06-28-2005, 09:40 PM

Mahinmi=manure? :spin

NZHayden
He's tall and black.

like emeka or mumtombo?

spurster
This guy has project written all over him. This would be a good 2nd round pick, but lousy for a 1st rounder.

drpill
Found this online:

http://www.fedexforum.com/displayArticle.aspx?id=91

World Select Team Announced for 2005 Nike Summit

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Memphis, Tennessee, March 23, 2005 — Boasting of a 10-player team that features six players measuring 6-10 or bigger, Nike Basketball announced today the players and coaches who will comprise the 2005 World Select Team that will compete in the 8th Annual Nike Hoop Summit on April 9 at FedExForum.

This year's World Select Team participants include 6’10” Nemanja Aleksandrov (Serbia and Montenegro), 6’7” Marco Belinelli (Italy), 6’11” Eric Boateng (England), 6’11” Vilmantas Dilys (Lithuania), 7’0” Semih Erden (Turkey), 6’1” Adam Gibson (Australia), 6’10” Ian Mahinmi (France), 5’11” Michael Mokongo (France), 6’4” Martynas Pocius (Lithuania) and 6’11” Dusan Sakota (Greece).

E20
06-28-2005, 09:41 PM
http://www.yahoo.com has a profile for every player drafted except for this guy. :wtf

slayermin
Ok. Who has video or gifs of this guy?

ChumpDumper
Well the only reason SA didn't use all their 1st rounders in the past was cap space -- who knows who they would've taken otherwise.

timvp
by the way he is a national team staff favorite. he is considered as good as petro sine he is improving at an incredible rate

Pop has close ties to the French National Team coaching staff. This guy sounds raw but with the Spurs drafting history, this must know what they are getting.

And with the guy sitting in the crowd, I'm sure Mahinmi knew about this.

CIA strikes again.

dn0

:lol :lol :lol

JUUOT
06-28-2005, 09:42 PM
from lequipe.fr the french sport newspaper called it this morning

Ian Mahinmi (19 ans, 2,04 m), le jeune intérieur du Havre, pourrait être la vraie surprise de cette draft. Alors qu'il pensait se retirer avant la date, Mahinmi a finalement laissé son nom après avoir eu des contacts intéressants avec plusieurs franchises. Certains l'annoncent même au premier tour. Il aimerait rejoindre Marcus Camby, son modèle, à Denver mais pense rester encore une saison en Europe. Utah, qui possède deux choix au premier tour, s'intéresse à lui.

"the young forward from le havre could be the surprise of the draft.when he was going to call out of the draft. he finally stayed after having interesting contacts with several franchise. Some even say he could end up being a first rounder. he would like to go to denver where play his mnodel. marcus camby, but think he might stay in europe one more year to get ready. utah could take him with one of their first round picks."

50 cent
Also sounds like a defensive type like Ben Wallace that will clog that paint and focus on rebounds and blocking shots.

In Pop and RC we trust.

Kori Ellis
He averaged 6.0 points and 4.0 rebounds per game while shooting 59.7% from the field in 31 games this year (16.8 mpg).

beirmeistr
well the fact that he was in ny for the draft has to say something... but maybe not. no one knows if they'll even keep the pick or if they were drafting for someone else? he looks pretty promising, and it was good to hear the crowd STUNNED in ny. lol
I am just as stunned. I've never heard his name or read about him before. "A Dennis Rodman without the tattoos" is how they described him.

Horry For 3!
06-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Sounds like the Spurs' match for Amare Stoudemire. Stoudemire is going to be a top three player in the league soon, so the Spurs had to go out and get someone of his athletic build.

If the Spurs feel good enough about him to give him guaranteed money, I'm guessing this is going to be a solid pick.
True. Spurs are very good with their draft picks when no one knows about the player that much. This could be one of those picks.

mrcoon29
06-28-2005, 09:43 PM
I don't think only the NY crowd was stunned. I know I was. :lol

AI-square
06-28-2005, 09:46 PM
I am just as stunned. I've never heard his name or read about him before. "A Dennis Rodman without the tattoos" is how they described him.

If he's a Dennis Rodman without the tattoos, the overall craziness and the badass hair, then I reckon he would be a player most of you guys would like over time.

ChumpDumper
06-28-2005, 09:46 PM
He's actually played quite a bit for an 18-year old in the French A league. A couple of double-doubles even.

sa_butta
06-28-2005, 09:47 PM
He's tall and black.So he can probably jump real high.

Ocotillo
Jay Bias called it a reach.

Kori Ellis
JUUOT -- his team is in the French Pro A League, right? Isn't that the same league in which Sanikidze plays for Dijon?

Guru of Nothing
And with the guy sitting in the crowd, I'm sure Mahinmi knew about this.

CIA strikes again.

Bingo! 5 seconds after the pick, I was, why was he there?

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2005, 09:48 PM
The Spurs have a stacked roster as it is. What's wrong with drafting a really young kid who you can work on developing for a few years down the line?

IcemanCometh
06-28-2005, 09:49 PM
Utah kept Raul Lopez and Andrei Kerilenko in Europe for 1 year. NJ did the same with Kristic, because a player has guaranteed money doesn't mean he has to sign a contract, a team has a certain time period where it has exlusive rights to that player.

Ocotillo
06-28-2005, 09:49 PM
I wonder if the Spurs brass considers the nationality for chemistry purposes? For instance there will be two Argentines, two Slovenians and now two Frenchmen. Might be easier on the kid with Parker here.

mrcoon29
06-28-2005, 09:50 PM
I don't recall them talking to the Spurs pick. Did I miss the interview when Pop shot me with the stun gun??

ducks
06-28-2005, 09:50 PM
does he count against the cap if he stays in europe under the new cba

Ocotillo
06-28-2005, 09:51 PM
does he count against the cap if he stays in europe under the new cba

I wouldn't think so because he wouldn't have a contract with the Spurs if he stays in Europe.

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2005, 09:53 PM
Yes, he will count against the cap.

JUUOT
06-28-2005, 09:53 PM
yes kori exactly. they play in the same league as dijon and parisBR. there is rumor javtokas would also play in france next year or karaulev i dont remember i will try to find.
le havre was a small surprise finishing in the middle of the championship

Solid D
06-28-2005, 09:54 PM
from lequipe.fr the french sport newspaper called it this morning

Ian Mahinmi (19 ans, 2,04 m)

2.04 m is closer to 6'8" (6'8-1/2")

JUUOT
he is not spurs material.
in 2003 2004 he shot 100% FT

http://lequipe.fr/Basket/BasketStatsClub28.html

picnroll
Spurs definitely need a guy to match up with Amare. He was far too quick for any of the Spurs' bigs. Mahinmi was described on ESPN as a Rodman without the tatoos. I'll settle for that any day. :smokin

ChumpDumper
06-28-2005, 09:55 PM
From draftexpress:

October 24, 2004 - Ian Mahinmi, yet another (but much more raw) extremely athletic French big man had his best game of the season so far as well, scoring 7 points to go along with 5 rebounds and 1 block in 15 minutes of action.

October 29, 2004 - Ian Mahinmi had 4 points, 7 rebounds and 2 steals for Le Havre in their third consecutive

January 17, 2005 - Breakout performance for Ian Mahinmi in the French League. The raw paint player scored 21 points, grabbed 11 rebounds and added 2 steals for Le Havre, although his team fell one point short of the victory against Bourg.

February 14, 2005 - In France, Ian Mahinmi got a double-double with 11 points and 11 rebounds, helping Le Havre to win over Pau-Orthez. The Frenchman is extending this season the good taste he left in the European Junior Championships in the last summer.

March 14, 2005 - Just a short stop in France to mention Thabo Sefolosa, who hadn't been delivering his best performances lately. But against Dijon, he had 17 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists and 2 steals to help Chalon win the game. Ian Mahinmi also had quite a nice performance this weekend with 14 pts (6/10 shooting), 6 rebounds and 3 fouls in 32 minutes.

March 21, 2005 - In France, the most noticeable performance was made by Ian Mahinmi, with 13 points and 2 blocks that helped Le Havre beat Clermont.

May 23, 2005 - Ian Mahinmi and his team LeHavre created the biggest surprise of the first round, getting the best of Cholet, the 6th seed and French cup finalist. Mahinmi was a key contributor in the first game, connecting on 6 of his seven shots, to finish with 14 points. He also had 4 rebounds, an assist and a block in 25 minutes in a 84-75 win. In the second game, Mahinmi was solid against one of the best interior duos in the league: the internationals Claude Marquis and Cyril Akpomedah. Mahinmi only played 13 minutes due to foul trouble, but he had 6 points, 5 rebounds and was very consistent defensively during that time.

Pretty impressive for an 18 year old.

ducks
someone in chat said he was 6 10 6 8 is much smaller

Kori Ellis
he is not spurs material.
in 2003 2004 he shot 100% FT

http://lequipe.fr/Basket/BasketStatsClub28.html

That's okay he shot 66% from the line this year -- he is destined to be a Spur.

beirmeistr
06-28-2005, 09:56 PM
For you board veterans that were here in 1999, was the Ginobili selection as much a stunner as this one?

picnroll
I wonder if the Spurs brass considers the nationality for chemistry purposes? For instance there will be two Argentines, two Slovenians and now two Frenchmen. Might be easier on the kid with Parker here.
Maybe the Spurs are building an ark.

JUUOT
yes solid D. ian is 10 cm smaller than petro. but as amazing leaping ability and long arms (sato type) he plays PF not center. i guess he could not play spot minute at SF cause he has no perimeter shooting.
he will be our ROSE of the future

ducks
this guy rebounds better then scola

scola never gets 10 rebound games

Lonestar
06-28-2005, 09:57 PM

Nuff said! RC and Pop have consistently outperformed everyone else for years now. I trust that they know what they're doing. Nothing is ever guaranteed but we seem to get the most done with what we get.

Guru of Nothing
Geez. ESPN has more to say about Von Wafer than Mahinmi.

Kori Ellis
2.04 m is closer to 6'8"

I see him listed at 2.06m elsewhere.

JUUOT
on side not a third frencie in the draft to LA lakers in secound round maybee to help Bynum develop

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-28-2005, 09:58 PM

Now you've started the anti-Scola campaign too?

Damn, not even one game in silver & black, and it already started, you're quick!

Kori Ellis
06-28-2005, 09:58 PM

Ian averaged 4 rebounds a game this season. Scola averages a little more. :)

ducks
06-28-2005, 10:00 PM
when has scola got over 10 rebounds

constantstate
from draftcity:

Euro Junior Championships (sept 9 2004)

Ian Mahinmi
(France; C; 1986; 6’10”; 20.6 mpg, 7 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 1.8 bpg)

One of the most pleasant surprises of the tournament was this 6’10” French and very athletic paint player. His vertical leap is simply amazing for a guy of his size. He can jump out of the gym to grab a board or to block a shot. 7.4 rebounds and 1.8 rejections are not bad at all for 20 minutes of playing time, although he needs to improve positioning and timing. He is extremely raw, but he already shows some incipient movement in the low post and—what’s really important—a very good attitude. This kid works very well without the ball to position himself under the basket. As yet he shows neither midrange nor, obviously, perimeter skills.

Physically his body is quite skinny and underdeveloped, not common at all among the French ballers. For that reason he suffers on defense getting banged around the low post. His lateral quickness is more than sufficient for his position, though. Given his physical profile, he’s a guy to keep an eye on for the future.

ducks
Now you've started the anti-Scola campaign too?

Damn, not even one game in silver & black, and it already started, you're quick!

I am a scola fan but his rebounding sucks

Guru of Nothing
06-28-2005, 10:01 PM
Maybe the Spurs are building an ark.

That's funny!

Solid D
I see him listed at 2.06m elsewhere.
That would be a little over 6'9", then. At 19, is he done growing?

JUUOT
you can trust RC and POP thanks to their tie with french national team staff. Plus sanikidze is in the league so they watched some games and parker has a lot of really good friends there to give info.

ShoogarBear
Pop and RC have everyone so scared now about their international picks that even if he is a scrub, they could probably trade him to somebody right now and get something decent.

Jelly
To the experienced draft watchers....
Why are people wondering why he was there? Why wouldn't he be there?
I've never watched a draft before, so it's a serious question, I'm not challenging anybody.
I know that Tony Parker was there when he was selected at 28.
Also, why did everyone boo David Lee at #30?

SequSpur
06-28-2005, 10:03 PM
yawn!!!!!

50 cent
RC saying that they hope he will stay overseas and that they don't anticipate him playing for the next several years.

picnroll
Buford interviewed saying he'll probably stay overseas for a couple of years.

Kori Ellis
RC Buford was just said he'll stay overseas a couple years.

ChumpDumper
why did everyone boo David Lee at #30?He's white.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
when has scola got over 10 rebounds

This last season? In 12 games.

http://www.acb.com/stspartidojug.php?cod_jugador=A3C&cod_competicion=LACB&cod_edicion=49

http://www.euroleague.net/plantillas/jugador.jsp?id=AJG

constantstate
rc on espn said they'd keep him overseas for a few years?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-28-2005, 10:04 PM
They said his wingspan was 7'2". that'll work.

Guru of Nothing
RC said it - the Spurs don't expect Ian to play in the NBA during the next two years.

Solid D
Yeah he said the next couple of years. Does RC ever blink? Dude, he needs to hit the rack and get some shut-eye and major REM sleep!

picnroll
06-28-2005, 10:05 PM
This kid is in the same league and putting up better numbers than Sankidze isn't he Juuot

Jelly
He's white.

are you kidding?

hussker
All I have to say is this...Reference 1999...How many on this board could pronounce the name of the 57th pick in the draft then? And NOW? YEEHA!

Round 1
# Team Name College/HS/Country
1 CHI Elton Brand Duke
2 VAN Steve Francis Maryland
3 CHA Baron Davis UCLA
4 LAC Lamar Odom Rhode Island
5 TOR Jonathan Bender Picayune (MS) HS
6 MIN Wally Szczerbiak Miami(OH)
7 WAS Richard Hamilton Connecticut
8 CLE Andre Miller Utah
9 PHO Shawn Marion Nevada-Las Vegas
10 ATL Jason Terry Arizona
11 CLE Trajan Langdon Duke
12 TOR Alek Radojevic Barton County CC
13 SEA Corey Maggette Duke
14 MIN William Avery Duke
15 NYK Frederic Weis France
16 CHI Ron Artest St. John's
17 ATL Cal Bowdler Old Dominion
18 DEN James Posey Xavier
19 UTA Quincy Lewis Minnesota
20 ATL Dion Glover Georgia Tech
21 GSW Jeff Foster Southwest Texas State
22 HOU Kenny Thomas New Mexico
23 LAL Devean George Augsburg (MN)
24 UTA Andrei Kirilenko Russia
25 MIA Tim James Miami (FL)
26 IND Vonteego Cummings Pittsburgh
27 ATL Jumaine Jones Georgia
28 UTA Scott Padgett Kentucky
29 DAL Leon Smith Martin Luther King (IL) HS
Round 2
1 LAL John Celestand Villanova
2 LAC Rico Hill Illinois State
3 CHI Michael Ruffin Tulsa
4 DEN Chris Herren Fresno State
5 NJN Evan Eschmeyer Northwestern
6 WAS Calvin Booth Penn State
7 DAL Wang ZhiZhi China
8 VAN Obinna Ekezie Maryland
9 ORL Laron Profit Maryland
10 CLE A.J. Bramlett Arizona
11 DAL Gordan Giricek Croatia
12 DEN Francisco Elson California
13 MIN Louis Bullock Michigan
14 CHA Lee Nailon Texas Christian
15 HOU Tyrone Washington Mississippi State
16 SAC Ryan Robertson Kansas
17 NYK J.R. Koch Iowa
18 PHI Todd MacCulloch Washington
19 MIL Galen Young UNC-Charlotte
20 CHI Lari Ketner Massachusetts
21 HOU Venson Hamilton Nebraska
22 VAN Antwain Smith St. Paul's (VA)
23 POR Roberto Bergersen Boise State
24 MIA Rodney Buford Creighton
25 DET Melvin Levett Cincinnati
26 BOS Kris Clack Texas
27 GSW Tim Young Stanford
28 SAS Emmanuel Ginobili Italy
29 UTA Eddie Lucas Virginia Tech

About statistical abbreviations

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2005, 10:06 PM
Yeah he said the next couple of years. Does RC ever blink? Dude, he needs to hit the rack and get some shut-eye and major REM sleep!

Yeah, at first I thought the video feed was frozen.

ducks
06-28-2005, 10:06 PM
This last season? In 12 games.

http://www.acb.com/stspartidojug.php?cod_jugador=A3C&cod_competicion=LACB&cod_edicion=49

http://www.euroleague.net/plantillas/jugador.jsp?id=AJG

good he is improving :elephant :elephant :elephant

Kori Ellis
06-28-2005, 10:07 PM
This kid is in the same league and putting up better numbers than Sankidze isn't he Juott

I'm not Juott, but they are in the same league.

Ian averaged 6 ppg and 4 rpg in 17 mpg this season.

Sanikidze averaged 4.6 ppg in 14 mpg this season.

ChumpDumper
are you kidding?Not really.

The fans booing were mostly white too, btw.

Marcus Bryant
are you kidding?

You realize the Knicks fans were doing the booing, no?

AI-square
06-28-2005, 10:08 PM
To the experienced draft watchers....
Why are people wondering why he was there? Why wouldn't he be there?
I've never watched a draft before, so it's a serious question, I'm not challenging anybody.
I know that Tony Parker was there when he was selected at 28.
Also, why did everyone boo David Lee at #30?

Obviously, the Knicks fans either wanted someone else, or someone who could play in another position.

Mark in Austin
From ESPN's live chat:

Ian Mahinmi: (10:54 PM ET ) Hey everybody. Hello from the newest Spur.

Ian Mahinmi: (10:55 PM ET ) Hello!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dan: Ian, how does it feel to be playing with the newest champions? Do you feel blessed to learn from Duncan and Ginobili?

Ian Mahinmi: (10:56 PM ET ) I feel really really happy to play with these kinds of players. I think that's a dream come true to play with a player like Tim and Ginobili. I'm really, really happy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Richie (NC): How does it feel to go to a champions team?

Ian Mahinmi: (10:57 PM ET ) I'm really proud. For sure, a team like that has really, really good guys. I am very proud of that.

Bruno: Does the fact that the Spurs have multiple international players make it an easier transisition for you?

Ian Mahinmi: (10:58 PM ET ) Yes. For me, you feel like a familiar sentiment.

Chris: Hi Ian! Congratualtions on being selected by my Spurs! Are you going to stay in Europe longer, or are you coming over to play for the Spurs next season?

Ian Mahinmi: (10:59 PM ET ) I think I'm going to stay with my team in France for a year or two to get some more experience.

Marco (from HK): Ian, are you ready to have a ring on your hand?

Ian Mahinmi: (10:59 PM ET ) Yeah! I think everybody is ready for a ring!

Ben: Congrats Ian, tell us a little about your game and what you can bring to the table in San Antonio?

Ian Mahinmi: (11:00 PM ET ) I'm a really defensive team player, I like to bring a lot of rebounds ... making some great blocks ... and doing the maximum to help my team on defense.

tony'france): 2 FRANCAIS aux spurs c trop cool danc combien de temps compte tu venir a san antonio

Ian Mahinmi: (11:03 PM ET ) je compte rester une annee de plus ou deux avant de venir
Ryan (Milwaukee): Congraduatlions Ian, what are some differences you have noticed in US basketball from what you started with?

Ian Mahinmi: (11:05 PM ET ) The difference? It's not the same style of play. Here, the play is more athletic, they are shooters, there is more pressure, there is more money -- that's really, really different. You got a lot of fans, compared to France, it's very different.

whottt

Check my avatar.

whottt
06-28-2005, 10:09 PM
Just kidding.

Jelly
06-28-2005, 10:09 PM
You realize the Knicks fans were doing the booing, no?
oh, never mind...

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2005, 10:10 PM
Knicks fans think darkies are good and whitey sucks, even though they are whitey.

whottt
06-28-2005, 10:10 PM

It's almost like they are building a Noah's ark of international basketball players isntit?

Tobias
06-28-2005, 10:11 PM
Nor do they like anyone under 6-11

timvp
The future of the Spurs plays in the French leagues :lol

Spurs really like Sanikidze last season and now Mahinmi has guaranteed money coming to him eventually.

Very interesting. I wonder if this was "their guy" again like Parker and Udrih were.

Guru of Nothing
All I have to say is this...Reference 1999...How many on this board could pronounce the name of the 57th pick in the draft then? And NOW? YEEHA!

Round 2

11 DAL Gordan Giricek Croatia

Say What!?

whottt
I wonder if they asked for Parker's input on this pick...

50 cent
Knicks fans are about as intelligent as their GM who thinks his job is to make every other team better than his. Isiah and Knick fans think basketball is scored more like golf. They'll learn one day.

picnroll
06-28-2005, 10:13 PM
For him to stay in the draft and to be present in NY I'm assuming he had a hard promise from the Spurs that he was their first round pick.

JUUOT
06-28-2005, 10:13 PM
picnroll. yes i think so. i could check to make sure but they were both bench players (SANIKIDZE started some at the end however)
but the amazing thing is the rate Ian is progressing. his numbers keep increasing and fast.

Kori you were right (for once ;-)) he is announced at 2,06m on the team website of le havre

BigDaddyMatty
06-28-2005, 10:16 PM
The Spurs didn't scout over 8 countries to grab a player they weren't very high on. Did you see that monster walking to the podium? 18 yrs old!!! Give the KID a yr in Europe, put 20 lbs of muscle on him, teach him to shoot the J, and send him over.

JUUOT
06-28-2005, 10:17 PM
whott you can bet they did. tony explained he had something to do with udrih coming last year . so i guess he was asked on this one. but mostly it should come from contact tony has in france and more than anything the french national coach that was in SA few month ago and has good relationship with POP

Kori Ellis
06-28-2005, 10:18 PM
From ESPN's live chat:

Ian Mahinmi: (10:54 PM ET ) Hey everybody. Hello from the newest Spur.

Ian Mahinmi: (10:55 PM ET ) Hello!

Dan: Ian, how does it feel to be playing with the newest champions? Do you feel blessed to learn from Duncan and Ginobili?

Ian Mahinmi: (10:56 PM ET ) I feel really really happy to play with these kinds of players. I think that's a dream come true to play with a player like Tim and Ginobili. I'm really, really happy.

etc.

I wonder if his English that good, or someone is typing for him and fixing it.

BigDaddyMatty
06-28-2005, 10:19 PM
too bad they don't have a 2nd rdr.

boutons
06-28-2005, 10:20 PM
http://hoopshype.com/players/bruce_bowen.htm

Bruce also played for Le Havre when Ian was 7 years old.

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2005, 10:20 PM
Hmmm...wonder if Seattle was drafting Gelabale for the Spurs?

Kori Ellis
06-28-2005, 10:25 PM
I think David Chancellor is going to have an interview with Ian now.

JUUOT
06-28-2005, 10:25 PM
5,7pts et 4,1 rbds à 60% en 16mn
5.7pt 4.1 rebounds shooting 60% in 16 mn not bad at all for a second (really first ) pro season imagine if you double playing time and increase performance you get a 12 and 9 a game !!!

Kori Ellis
06-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Ian said that he doesn't know Tony Parker personally, but he's really excited, blah blah blah.

They are interviewing him on KSAT too. He's saying he's excited about possibly playing with Tim Duncan, etc.

Lady M
http://hoopshype.com/players/bruce_bowen.htm

Bruce also played for Le Havre when Ian was 7 years old.
bruce was the best scorer in the french league

caspian
Leave it to the Spurs to draft yet another shocker that no one has heard of or could possibly have foreseen, immediately after which people scramble to research what turns out to be another pure gem.

Wow. Impressive.

whottt
06-28-2005, 10:28 PM
bruce was the best scorer in the french league

More proof that Pop holds offensive players back :depressed

JUUOT
06-28-2005, 10:30 PM
two frenchie at seatlle. they had Gelabale and petro. hope we wont regret it. and they would like to get boris diaw. i will have to root for them. i wish they ttrade allen and james it would make it easier to support them

grjr
06-28-2005, 10:31 PM
One of the most pleasant surprises of the tournament was this 6’10” French and very athletic paint player. His vertical leap is simply amazing for a guy of his size. He can jump out of the gym to grab a board or to block a shot.

Keep him away from motorcycles.

ChumpDumper
06-28-2005, 10:31 PM
they would like to get boris diawThem and us both.

IcemanCometh
06-28-2005, 10:32 PM
knick fans always boo at the draft, its a tradition

Kori Ellis
I understand that Boris has asked to be traded from the Hawks. I wonder what they want for him.

Solid D
two frenchie at seatlle. they had Gelabale and petro. hope we wont regret it. and they would like to get boris diaw. i will have to root for them. i wish they ttrade allen and james it would make it easier to support them

What about Ronny Turiaf? Will you root for the Lakers now, too? :)

JUUOT
06-28-2005, 10:34 PM
how do you see seatlle sending us gelabale? Marcus?

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-28-2005, 10:35 PM
Who were they just talking about? Second worst attendance, a new arena or something?

Kori Ellis
06-28-2005, 10:38 PM
Did anyone watch the Kens sports broadcast? They had the interview with RC Buford from the practice facility.

Guru of Nothing
06-28-2005, 10:39 PM
how do you see seatlle sending us gelabale? Marcus?

Maybe it involves Beno and Antonio Daniels.

jochhejaam
06-28-2005, 10:45 PM
His scouting report sounds like Dikembe Mutombo with quickness...

I like your optimism, I'm looking at our first round pick in the same way.
Good luck with him!

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Does anyone know what team they were talking about on the draft show when they said the team was second to last in attendance, had no rights to their area, and their tv network folded today.

I missed the team they were talking about.

Was it Boston or Atlanta?

timvp
06-28-2005, 10:49 PM
It was Charlotte.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-28-2005, 10:50 PM
It was Charlotte.

Oh.

texbumTHElife
06-28-2005, 10:53 PM
Putting a franchise back in Charlotte after the fans completely stopped going to Hornets games was one of the dumbest moves ever by the NBA. They will be out of Charlotte again in <5 years.

AI-square
06-28-2005, 10:58 PM
RC Buford and the Spurs' scouting team are amazing. With one draft pick they turn a nobody into someone worth talking about for 6 pages in a thread. That's pretty good work. Some of you may even go to sleep thinking, "who the F is Ian Mahinmi?"

Summers
06-28-2005, 11:00 PM
I wonder if his English that good, or someone is typing for him and fixing it.

It's like Tony with a lot more Pepe le Peu.

Kori Ellis
06-28-2005, 11:01 PM
It's like Tony with a lot more Pepe le Peu.

Yeah I heard him now. He doesn't sound much like Tony. He sounds like a Jamaican French guy or something.

exstatic
06-28-2005, 11:11 PM
Keep him away from motorcycles.

No shit. :lol

Das Texan
06-28-2005, 11:12 PM
sounds like a very raw guy. if he is willing to work hard, he has all the raw talent to be something special in this league.

the key is the willinginess to put the time in the gym to improve his game.

that will make or break him quite frankly.

whottt
06-28-2005, 11:16 PM
I think I see a method to the Spurs madeness with some of the bigman picks in the past two drafts...with Manimi and Karulov...

Basically they realize the chances of getting a lottery bigman are slim for the next 5 years so they are going after young athletic projects for the post Duncan era...

This guy sounds like a latecomer to basketball who is rapidly picking up the game...

Sounds like two other pretty decent Spurs bigmen I know of...

TheTruth
06-28-2005, 11:17 PM
someone get that boy a couple gorditas.

Tek_XX
06-28-2005, 11:18 PM
First Name pronounced "yawn"

grjr
06-28-2005, 11:19 PM
I think I see a method to the Spurs madeness with some of the bigman picks in the past two drafts...with Manimi and Karulov...

Basically they realize the chances of getting a lottery bigman are slim for the next 5 years so they are going after young athletic projects for the post Duncan era...

This guy sounds like a latecomer to basketball who is rapidly picking up the game...

Sounds like two other pretty decent Spurs bigmen I know of...

Cadillac Anderson and Dwayne Schintzius?

whottt
06-28-2005, 11:25 PM
Cadillac Anderson and Dwayne Schintzius?

No...

One of the guys I am thinking of wanted to be a swimmer and probably would have if not for his pool getting destroyed. Basketball was his second choice...

The other one was a 6'4 military brat whose main career goal was to serve his country and who couldn't even get off the bench on his team until a freakish 7 inch growth spurt, after joining the military...

Edit: and yes I know you knew...but framing your point never hurts.

Dre_7
06-28-2005, 11:31 PM
The other one was a 6'4 military brat whose main career goal was to serve his country and who couldn't even get off the bench on his team until a freakish 7 inch growth spurt, after joining the military...

To this day that still amazes me. :lol

JUUOT
06-28-2005, 11:31 PM
kori how many jamaican french have you ever heard? lol

Kori Ellis
06-28-2005, 11:32 PM
kori how many jamaican french have you ever heard? lol

:lol

None. But that's what his accent sounds like a mix between.

JUUOT
06-28-2005, 11:36 PM
nice. i go to bed with a smile lol

Kori Ellis
Spurs Picked Who? … Ian Mahinmi?
LAST UPDATE: 6/28/2005 11:18:45 PM
Posted By: CyberBob

Five days after winning the NBA title, the San Antonio Spurs continued their global focus by using their only draft choice on Ian Mahinmi, an obscure power forward from France. He was not listed among the dozens of prospective picks in the NBA's draft media guide.

The Spurs always manage to surprise us on draft night, and Tuesday night was no different. We're used to this. Manu, Tony, Beno -- we had no idea who they were, so lets give a San Antonio welcome to the man named Mahinmi (yahn mah-HEE'-nee).

The pick took longer than allowed. Maybe David Stern needed some practice saying the name. The NBA champs selected the French forward at No. 28. He was one of seven international players to be chosen in the first round.

Who is Ian Mahinmi? He's a 6’10”, 230-pound rebounder. Mahinmi is just 18-years-old and he’s from France. He’s only played basketball for four years.

Mahinmi told WOAI that he knows “of” Tony Parker, but not personally. He says the idea of playing for the Spurs is a dream come true.

The Spurs have no immediate plans for Mahinmi, who impressed the team's scouts during a tournament in Spain. They plan to keep him playing in Europe for the next couple of years.

“He's in a really good teaching situation and he's in a really good playing situation,” Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said. “I think that's a better development plan than players who come over here and sit on the end of benches.”

Mahinmi played the past two years with Le Havre in France. In 2004-05, he averaged 6.0 points and 4.0 rebounds in 16.8 minutes per game for Le Havre in the Pro A League.

“His game is very, very raw,” Buford said. “Over the course of the last year, he's made significant progress from being able to barely play on (Le Havre's) second team to starting on their first team.”

He was the second Frenchman taken Tuesday, following center Johan Petro taken 25th by Seattle.

“I've got to work on my offensive moves,” Mahinmi said by phone from New York. “I'm already quick but I want to be more quick.”

This year marked the third straight year that the Spurs have had the 28th pick, and the fourth time in the past five seasons.

Last year they selected backup point guard Beno Udrih in that slot, and in 2001 they used it on Tony Parker, another French player and the starting point guard for San Antonio's championship teams in 2003 and 2005.

Mahinmi said he followed the NBA Finals, won by the Spurs over Detroit in seven games.

“I watched every game,” he said, adding that he has also been following Parker's career. “Of course, I was cheering for the Spurs.”

San Antonio traded its second round pick (59th overall) to Atlanta last year as part of a draft-day deal for the 42nd pick, Viktor Sanikidze from the Republic of Georgia. Sanikidze, 19, played this season in France's top pro league. He is one of four international players whose rights belong to San Antonio.

The most NBA-ready among them is Luis Scola, a 6-9 teammate of Manu Ginobili on Argentina's 2004 Olympic championship team. Scola, 25, was MVP of Spain's top pro league this season after averaging 18.5 points and 6.7 rebounds, and he is considered a strong prospect to join the Spurs next season.

Marcus Bryant
You have to figure that the American-born and raised bigmen in the draft are well known commodities for the most part, especially the high schoolers. It's an inexact science, but it would seem that if the Spurs are to find a steal in the draft, looking at young (as in under 20 yrs old) international players is the way to go.

This was a great time for the Spurs to use a pick to draft someone for the future. As the roster stands there are very few pressing current needs. In all likelihood the Spurs will be bringing back the same rotation next year, plus Scola, wherever he fits in.

If you think the Spurs need a prospective backup small forward, well they have a team option on Linton Johnson for next season and a future prospect in Viktor Sanikidze.

This is not to say that Ian Mahinmi will be anything more than a difficult name to remember how to spell and a footnote in Spurs history, but I'd hold off before labelling it as a horrible pick or whatever. The draft is no longer about finding players who will make an immediate impact. It's about finding players from Baha Blanca Bianca, Argentina or whatever who in a few years could turn into something special.

Maybe an 18 year old French volleyball player is next. Who knows?

Boo
06-28-2005, 11:38 PM
hopefully he'll turn out great for us...

I don't think he will be able to contain Amare unless he puts lots of muscle on (which he probably will in the upcoming future)

manu got game
06-29-2005, 12:48 AM
Knicks fans are about as intelligent as their GM who thinks his job is to make every other team better than his. Isiah and Knick fans think basketball is scored more like golf. They'll learn one day.

That's why I'm a spurs fan even though I live in NY.

TMSKILZ
06-29-2005, 02:07 AM
That's why I'm a spurs fan even though I live in NY.
I'm a Spurs fan & living in NY as well. What part do you live in? I'm from Queens.

slayermin
06-29-2005, 02:14 AM
If you were the Spurs, would you give him a little stipend to make sure he is living well? Afterall, Ian is now an investment.

TDMVPDPOY
06-29-2005, 02:37 AM
this kid should get away from motorbikes or even bikes.
get him a personal trainer? massoman/kwillis or drob to make him into a lean n cut machine 255pounds.

Nbadan
06-29-2005, 02:43 AM
This pick is uncharacteristic of the Spurs. Scola is about the only big the Spurs have picked in recent memory where they showed enough patience to want to wait for him to develop even in a foreign league. My guess is that POP would rather take his chances with bigs who have already played in the league and have a reputation rather than wait maybe years to see if this chunk of coal turns into a diamond. Besides, there is really nothing spectacular about Mahinmi despite what some of the optimistic scouting reports that have been posted in this forum say about him. He's a great leaper and a lousy defender.

What gets me is that there were better bigs and tweeners with more potential still available last year like Anderson Varejao, and in the 2003 draft with Zaza Pachulia, Kyle Krover and even Luke Walton. At the very least if the Spurs wanted to wait for a big to develop they should have grabbed Sofokalis Schortsanitis, or baby-Shaq, last year.

Very uncharacteristic of the Spurs.

Mr. Body
06-29-2005, 03:11 AM
What gets me is that there were better bigs and tweeners with more potential still available last year like Anderson Varejao, and in the 2003 draft with Zaza Pachulia, Kyle Krover and even Luke Walton. At the very least if the Spurs wanted to wait for a big to develop they should have grabbed Sofokalis Schortsanitis, or baby-Shaq, last year.

What's characteristic of the Spurs is drafting young talent, the position has nothing to do with it. They needed speed and athleticism on the perimeter first, and so ran out and got Parker and Ginobili. Now their biggest needs are on the post.

If you have any reason to believe this French guy isn't a great defender or is incapable of increasing his basketball skills, by all means share the specifics.

Pachulia and especially Varejao are of dubious talent. I'd take a flier on a tall, long player with tremendous athleticism over them any day. Yeoman players you can find any day - and overpay any day. A potential game-changer and freakish shot blocker doesn't often come around at #28.

Horry For 3!
06-29-2005, 03:18 AM
Here are 2 pictures of Ian Mahinmi in a Spurs cap at the NBA Draft in New York.

http://img294.echo.cx/img294/2238/ianmahinmi6ai.jpg
http://img294.echo.cx/img294/2263/ianmahinmi20av.jpg

SLOVENIAN 8
06-29-2005, 03:24 AM
From draftexpress:

October 24, 2004 - Ian Mahinmi, yet another (but much more raw) extremely athletic French big man had his best game of the season so far as well, scoring 7 points to go along with 5 rebounds and 1 block in 15 minutes of action.

October 29, 2004 - Ian Mahinmi had 4 points, 7 rebounds and 2 steals for Le Havre in their third consecutive

January 17, 2005 - Breakout performance for Ian Mahinmi in the French League. The raw paint player scored 21 points, grabbed 11 rebounds and added 2 steals for Le Havre, although his team fell one point short of the victory against Bourg.

February 14, 2005 - In France, Ian Mahinmi got a double-double with 11 points and 11 rebounds, helping Le Havre to win over Pau-Orthez. The Frenchman is extending this season the good taste he left in the European Junior Championships in the last summer.

March 14, 2005 - Just a short stop in France to mention Thabo Sefolosa, who hadn't been delivering his best performances lately. But against Dijon, he had 17 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists and 2 steals to help Chalon win the game. Ian Mahinmi also had quite a nice performance this weekend with 14 pts (6/10 shooting), 6 rebounds and 3 fouls in 32 minutes.

March 21, 2005 - In France, the most noticeable performance was made by Ian Mahinmi, with 13 points and 2 blocks that helped Le Havre beat Clermont.

May 23, 2005 - Ian Mahinmi and his team LeHavre created the biggest surprise of the first round, getting the best of Cholet, the 6th seed and French cup finalist. Mahinmi was a key contributor in the first game, connecting on 6 of his seven shots, to finish with 14 points. He also had 4 rebounds, an assist and a block in 25 minutes in a 84-75 win. In the second game, Mahinmi was solid against one of the best interior duos in the league: the internationals Claude Marquis and Cyril Akpomedah. Mahinmi only played 13 minutes due to foul trouble, but he had 6 points, 5 rebounds and was very consistent defensively during that time.

Pretty impressive for an 18 year old.

WTF! Who is this guy? :lol really great numbers :lol :lol This is french league damit, that cant be compare with euroleague so......
I think that Spurs made a mistake

And that F.... Larry Bird :lol i know that he will pick Lorbek becouse he was on a lot of games here inEurope when Lorbeka was playing. Lorbek on of the best PF you will see , he is a great shooter wit really soft hand he can hit for 3 ...... :smokin But he will probably stay 1 more year in europe

caspian
06-29-2005, 03:37 AM
What's characteristic of the Spurs is drafting young talent, the position has nothing to do with it. They needed speed and athleticism on the perimeter first, and so ran out and got Parker and Ginobili. Now their biggest needs are on the post.

If you have any reason to believe this French guy isn't a great defender or is incapable of increasing his basketball skills, by all means share the specifics.

Pachulia and especially Varejao are of dubious talent. I'd take a flier on a tall, long player with tremendous athleticism over them any day. Yeoman players you can find any day - and overpay any day. A potential game-changer and freakish shot blocker doesn't often come around at #28.

Completely agree. Athleticism is directly proportional to upside. He's not "athletic", he's a freak.

ata
06-29-2005, 04:05 AM
From Dan Wetzel:
LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/draft?analysis=1)

28. SA - Ian Mahinmi, PF: The Spurs pick France's Ian Mahinmi. He was in the house and wearing a slightly off-white suit. He is very tall. He looks good. Of course, he only averaged five points a game last season. Knowing the Spurs, he'll probably be the Finals MVP in 2010. - 10:17 pm EDT
– This is why you have to love (or hate) the Spurs. How under the radar was Mahinmi? His bio didn't even make the official NBA draft media guide. No small feat since Torin Francis is in there and he isn't even in the draft. And don't think a lot of obscure foreigners are forgotten. There is a guy in there named Dirk Maedrich, who averaged 1.7 points a game for something called BS Energy Braunschweig in Germany. - 10:22 pm EDT

:spin

Nbadan
06-29-2005, 04:33 AM

Eh, as I said before drafting a late round big is always a gamble for any team. Maybe Mahinmi with his freakish athleticism and Super scout, Sam Presti manage to pull another one out of his ass. For Spur fans sake, I definitely hope so, all I'm saying is that the Spurs have had some success drafting foreign smalls late, Gino, Udrih, Parker but their success at drafting late bigs and tweeners has always, through no luck of their own, been stymied by either injury, to Javokas, by unworkable contracts, to Scola, and by player who simply disappear from the league like Chris Carawell (With Michael Redd still on the board) and Sergi Karaulov (who? actual Spurs 2004 2nd round pick). Mahinmi is young, raw and freakish though, maybe working under the toolage of the Spurs system in time he can physically develop his game, learn to play some D for God's sake, and become a valuable member of the Spurs society.

As long as were kinda talking trading draft picks though, the Spurs 99 trade of pick Leon Smith to Dallas for Gordan Giricek and a future 2nd round pick was a steal, but taking Ginobili at #57 in the same draft was genious. In 98, the Spurs traded their first round pick Felipe Lopez and Carl Herrera to Vancouver for Antonio Daniels and they took Derrick Dial at 57. Hummm... I wonder who the Spurs can package with Mahinimi in 05-06?

boutons
06-29-2005, 06:18 AM
Jamaica was Spanish (there is still quite a bit of Spanish flavor), then English until independence. Never any serious French coloiniztion or influence in Jamaica.

May you're thinking about Haiti, Guadaloupe, or other Carribean islands, but not Jamaica.

mattyc
06-29-2005, 07:18 AM
We are going to own half the players in Europe eventually.

Timoha
06-29-2005, 07:32 AM
We are going to own half the players in Europe eventually.

yup, we are becoming the U.N of basketball or something
:D

Pee_Eye_Emm_Pee
06-29-2005, 07:37 AM
hello guys... i am a new member

i found this pic of our new SPUR... so i decided to share it w/ you guys, hope it's not been posted before

http://www.broadbandnewsnet.com/newsmanager/articlefiles/2095-french.jpg

SpursWoman
06-29-2005, 08:11 AM
28. SA - Ian Mahinmi, PF: The Spurs pick France's Ian Mahinmi. He was in the house and wearing a slightly off-white suit. He is very tall. He looks good. Of course, he only averaged five points a game last season. Knowing the Spurs, he'll probably be the Finals MVP in 2010. - 10:17 pm EDT
– This is why you have to love (or hate) the Spurs. How under the radar was Mahinmi? His bio didn't even make the official NBA draft media guide. No small feat since Torin Francis is in there and he isn't even in the draft. And don't think a lot of obscure foreigners are forgotten. There is a guy in there named Dirk Maedrich, who averaged 1.7 points a game for something called BS Energy Braunschweig in Germany. - 10:22 pm EDT

:lol :lol

JUUOT
06-29-2005, 08:19 AM
french news this morning
" the major surprise came from Ian Mahinmi. chosen with pick 28 by spurs. he will join TP but maybee not next season. Le havre forward anticipated to keep maturing one more year in europe anyway before making the transition. But the attraction of a conteding team and learning with the best (duncan) might change this"

however from what we heard yesterday he will stay one more year in Europe at 90% chance. he could maybee join as sonn as the season end being in SA for the playoff to see how it works.

La grosse surprise est venu de Ian Mahinmi, choisi en 28e position par les San Antonio Spurs. Il rejoindra donc Tony Parker, mais peut-être pas cette saison. L'intérieur du Havre avait en effet prévu de s'aguerrir encore une année en Europe avant de faire le grand saut. Mais l'attrait d'une équipe candidate au titre et la possibilité de travailler aux côtés de Tim Duncan auront peut-être raison de ses hésitations.

spur219
06-29-2005, 08:36 AM
Popovich has always liked players like Tyson Chandler who are long skinny quick and very athletic and great defensively. I see this as a type of move that can get him this type of player. My thoughts are also that Pop got a player who will be able to defend Amare Stoudamire.

batman2883
06-29-2005, 08:39 AM
I think with this guys hops and height, he will be pulling in mad boards on the defensive and offensive side. They analysts last night were complaining about him being a volleyball player till four years ago. So what, Tim Duncan was a swimmer most of his life, and we all know what he turned into. I think the Spurs did the right thing, however we still need a young athletic player to come in and take over for Bruce, im not so sure Linton Johnson is the answer.

spurster
06-29-2005, 09:23 AM
If the Spurs are going to leave Mahinmi in Europe for at least a season or two, then he qualifies as a project. No, that's not a bad thing, but a little surprising for a 1st round pick. I would guess at the following reasons.

1. The Spurs did not think anyone available would help them right away.

2. No one wanted to help the Spurs with any kind of trade up or trade down, having been burned before (Claxton, Nazr).

3. With the new CBA, 1st round picks are only guaranteed 2 years instead of 3. This closes the distance between 1st rounders and 2nd rounders.

4. With no 2nd round picks and no 1st round pick next year (don't know about 2nd round next year), the Spurs wanted to put this pick to good use.

5. The Manu-Scola theory of picks is that if you draft enough international 2nd rounders, letting them develop in Europe, you will probably find a few that are good enough. This year's draft pick follows the same reasoning, though it will cost the Spurs 1st round money this time. But if you average it out over all their 2nd round picks, given the success they've had, it's a reasonable cost.

wildbill2u
06-29-2005, 09:57 AM
Popovich has always liked players like Tyson Chandler who are long skinny quick and very athletic and great defensively. I see this as a type of move that can get him this type of player. My thoughts are also that Pop got a player who will be able to defend Amare Stoudamire.

You mean a player with more courage than brains? The only way to contain Stoudemaire is to get in his way and take the charge. Ouch! :lol

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 10:53 AM
1. The Spurs did not think anyone available would help them right away.

2. No one wanted to help the Spurs with any kind of trade up or trade down, having been burned before (Claxton, Nazr).

You do realize that Mahinmi is the player that the Spurs wanted in the draft, right?

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20659

spurster
06-29-2005, 11:12 AM
You do realize that Mahinmi is the player that the Spurs wanted in the draft, right?

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20659
You want me to believe the Express-News is a reliable source about the Spurs NBA draft moves?

Vashner
06-29-2005, 11:30 AM
Sounds like 1st place we need to take him is the all you can eat buffets..

boutons
06-29-2005, 11:36 AM
"all you can eat buffets"

WTF is it with you people wanting players to put on fat? Amazing. Let's put 40 lbs on Manu or Andrei Kirilenko or Tay or Rip or Tim or Robert and let's see how much slower they are, how many more problems they have, a la Shaq, with ankles and knees and feet.

The only weight he should thinking about is productive, upper-body muscle, not dead-weight fat.

Tobias
06-29-2005, 11:49 AM
You want me to believe the Express-News is a reliable source about the Spurs NBA draft moves?
Seeing as how they have quotes from RC, I'd say so.

ObiwanGinobili
06-29-2005, 12:21 PM
"all you can eat buffets"

WTF is it with you people wanting players to put on fat? Amazing. Let's put 40 lbs on Manu or Andrei Kirilenko or Tay or Rip or Tim or Robert and let's see how much slower they are, how many more problems they have, a la Shaq, with ankles and knees and feet.

The only weight he should thinking about is productive, upper-body muscle, not dead-weight fat.

when we talk about puttign weighjt on Manu it's because he has lost weight since the begining of the season. His listed weight is NOT his current weight.
this has been explained , let it be.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 12:22 PM
Even Manu said in one of the Argentinean papers in the last couple days that the Spurs want him to gain weight this summer (because he has lost weight) so he'll be on a diet regimen. So I don't know why Boutons translates that into meaning that fans want Manu to gain 40 pounds of fat.

manu got game
06-29-2005, 12:40 PM
I'm a Spurs fan & living in NY as well. What part do you live in? I'm from Queens.

I live upstate.
Montgomery,NY.

picnroll
06-29-2005, 12:40 PM
Report was that up until recently the kid was thinking of pulling out of the draft. You can bet that the reason he stayed in was because the Spurs guaranteed him they would pick him at 28 otherwise he would have withdrawn. You can bet since the Spurs guaranteed him they would pick him they had him rated higher than a lot of players taken ahead of him that might have potentially fallen to the 28th spot. We might be surprised at how high they rated him. Maybe they'll say someday.

People (reporters, scouts) knew that the Spurs were interested in a French player, probably from Presti, Buford, et als. scouting pattern. Some knew or suspected toward the end it was this kid probably because he was French, 18 and didn't pull his name from the draft. The biggest risk likley was some parasite like Thorn grabbing him before the Spurs pick.

Solid D
06-29-2005, 12:45 PM
I read on a board somewhere that Utah was also interested in Mahinmi. No credibility to that however.

easjer
06-29-2005, 12:53 PM
Report was that up until recently the kid was thinking of pulling out of the draft. You can bet that the reason he stayed in was because the Spurs guaranteed him they would pick him at 28 otherwise he would have withdrawn. You can bet since the Spurs guaranteed him they would pick him they had him rated higher than a lot of players taken ahead of him that might have potentially fallen to the 28th spot. We might be surprised at how high they rated him. Maybe they'll say someday.

People (reporters, scouts) knew that the Spurs were interested in a French player, probably from Presti, Buford, et als. scouting pattern. Some knew or suspected toward the end it was this kid probably because he was French, 18 and didn't pull his name from the draft. The biggest risk likley was some parasite like Thorn grabbing him before the Spurs pick.

Fortunately for the Spurs they were able to do some name dropping and dangling to get some people grabbed ahead of their pick. Also, there were several French players available which could only help their chances of nabbing him.

ShoogarBear
06-29-2005, 01:29 PM
Let me be the first to say . . . Ian Mini-me?

batman2883
06-29-2005, 01:31 PM
Birthdate November 5, 1986
Position PF/C
Height 6-10
Weight 220
Team STP Le Havre
Hometown Rouen, Francis
Last Updated 6/26/05

Strengths: Young, athletic big man who could be a real sleeper in this year's draft. Mahinmi, not Johan Petro, is the most athletic French big man in the draft. At the moment, he looks very uncoordinated and awkward running the floor, but make no mistake, he is very athletic. He runs the floor like a gazelle. Very long and has great leaping ability for his size. His long arms and quick leaping ability make him an excellent shot-blocker. He has the physical ability to block shots and snatch rebounds like few others are capable of. He also has solid lateral quickness and very quick hands for a big man. Uses his quick hands and long arms to tip away entry passes to the post.

On the offensive end, he is a very high-percentage scorer in the paint. Does a great job establishing position deep in the post. Has above-average footwork and is developing some nice post moves. When he gets the ball deep in the paint, he has the explosiveness to finish with authority. He is only 18 years old, and with his raw athleticism and shot-blocking potential, he could turn out to be a productive NBA player in the future.

Weaknesses: Very raw offensive skills. He has solid footwork so he does have the foundation to develop a good post game, but it is not there yet. Needs to refine his moves in the post. His shooting touch could use improvement and so could his range. Does not yet have the ability to score outside of the paint. He needs to develop a consistent jump shot from more than five feet away, which he currently does not possess. Has very limited shooting range, ball handling, and passing skills.

Mahinmi needs to get stronger in order to hold his position better in the paint. He can get pushed out of position rather easily. Grabs a lot of rebounds because of his athletic ability, but he needs to work on positioning himself and boxing out for the rebound. Still learning the fundamentals of the game. Could really use a few more years in Europe to develop better basketball skills to go along with his outstanding length and athleticism.

Mark in Austin
06-29-2005, 02:02 PM

None of the players you just mentioned will ever have a prayer of defending Amare - it's not even a possibility. Ian, on the other hand, has the potential to be the long four with defensive instincts that could help contain Stoudamire. Unless you think an opponent dropping 37 ppg in the playoffs on the Spurs is a good thing, this pick makes a lot of sense given the relative rarity of long, athletic fours that are defensively inclined.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 03:12 PM

I guess you could believe RC.

"He was our target," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said of Mahinmi in a telephone interview Wednesday. "Where we draft, we don't get a chance to see many 6-10 plus athletes with that type of athleticism. You just don't see that at the end of the first round, so consequently, having an opportunity to get that type of player was a priority."

wildbill2u
06-29-2005, 04:50 PM
hello guys... i am a new member

i found this pic of our new SPUR... so i decided to share it w/ you guys, hope it's not been posted before

http://www.broadbandnewsnet.com/newsmanager/articlefiles/2095-french.jpg

I hope he's the guy in Red that's headed up to the ceiling :elephant :elephant

batman2883
06-29-2005, 04:56 PM
Just remember this dude was a volleyball player previous to being a basketball player. My point in volleyball you have to jump pretty nicely to spike the ball over the net, that clip that somebody posted early was awesome it shows his aggressiveness towards the rim. His athletcism will be welcomed here in the great city of San Antonio.

tlongII
06-29-2005, 06:21 PM
That guy sucks. I can't even pronounce his name. Phucking Phrenchy.

Vashner
06-29-2005, 06:52 PM
Does he get any compensation from Spurs while he works in Europe? I wonder.

ducks
06-29-2005, 07:00 PM
did he suck your daughter or something?

Vashner
06-29-2005, 07:17 PM
Dude R.C is the Yoda of basketball... he knows how to pick the younglings...

strangeweather
06-29-2005, 07:40 PM
If the Spurs are going to leave Mahinmi in Europe for at least a season or two, then he qualifies as a project. No, that's not a bad thing, but a little surprising for a 1st round pick. I would guess at the following reasons.

3. With the new CBA, 1st round picks are only guaranteed 2 years instead of 3. This closes the distance between 1st rounders and 2nd rounders.

Not only that, but now that the Spurs are over the cap for the foreseeable future, it's cheaper and easier to sign a first rounder. You can sign a first rounder without having cap space, but if you sign a second rounder for more then the minimum and you're over the cap, you have to use all or part of an exception. (See: Scola, Luis.)

Further, with a first rounder, you have a locked-in cap figure, and you have them locked up until you own the player's Bird rights, so you don't have to worry about holding open cap space to resign the player in a couple of years. (See: Ginobili, Manu.)

sw

FilSpursFan
06-29-2005, 07:49 PM
He sounds like the Spurs type of player. Dominates the boards and plays great defense.

How about his FT%? is he a Spurs materiel too?

JUUOT
06-29-2005, 08:20 PM
he was 100% two season ago but doent count cause he played rally too few minutes. but this year he is 66% defintely spurs material. however as you might have read he started basket only 4 years ago and shoty mechanics is still somtehing he works hard on. it should improve

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-29-2005, 08:56 PM

SequSpur
06-29-2005, 10:12 PM
yawn......................

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-29-2005, 11:08 PM
A Manure type yawn?

Sequ we get it, you hate everyone and anyone that's taller than 3'6.

SequSpur
06-29-2005, 11:21 PM
Hey Writer.. any insight to what stores are going up here on 151 and 410?

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-29-2005, 11:59 PM

I have many insights, many retail developments going up at 151/410 now that 151 is completed.

But guess what, I can make a very good living with a career in urban planning and design.

You're short, grumpy, and bald and that's never going to change nor make you money. Unless of course you join Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs on Ice tour.

Mr. Body
06-30-2005, 12:24 AM
Just remember this dude was a volleyball player previous to being a basketball player. My point in volleyball you have to jump pretty nicely to spike the ball over the net, that clip that somebody posted early was awesome it shows his aggressiveness towards the rim. His athletcism will be welcomed here in the great city of San Antonio.

You're right that his volleyball background is interesting, but not offensively (in basketball or volleyball). A great volleyball defenseman needs exceptional timing to block the other guy from spiking it over the net. I'm sure this was one of his specialities and makes him a great shot blocker. With his size and jumping ability, he's able to hang over the net, giving more time to locate where the ball is. His quick jumping helps even more.

grjr
06-30-2005, 12:30 AM

I was shocked to see all the stores they were building there when I went to Lowes last week. I was also shocked there was a new Walmart open and I didn't even know it was being built (I don't get out much :lol )

You'd have to think we're due for a new Super Target there. Maybe a CompUSA? Would be a good place for a Costco. Isn't Safeway coming to town sometime soon? (Not that we need any competition for HEB :rolleyes )

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-30-2005, 12:49 AM
You'd have to think we're due for a new Super Target there.

151/410 does have a Super Target coming its way. Part of a large retail center.

Also, where'd you hear about Safeway entering the SA market?

grjr
06-30-2005, 01:18 AM
151/410 does have a Super Target coming its way. Part of a large retail center.

Also, where'd you hear about Safeway entering the SA market?

Not sure about the Safeway rumor. Seems like I read it somewhere about 6-12 months ago. I'm probably completely off base though.

FearDaDuncaN_SA
07-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Leave it to the Spurs to draft yet another shocker that no one has heard of or could possibly have foreseen, immediately after which people scramble to research what turns out to be another pure gem.

Wow. Impressive.

Exactly, exactly! I am so very excited about Ian!!!

Kori Ellis
07-01-2005, 12:16 PM

He's not a former volleyball player. That was a mistake by ESPN.

I believe they were reading off Splitter's bio by accident.

nanya
07-01-2005, 05:18 PM
san antonio drafted ian mahinmi from france i think that he will fit right in with the other players like tony parker he is also from france :spin

boutons
07-01-2005, 06:39 PM
"from france"

... but like Tony, not ethnically French. What is Ian's ethnicity? I'm guessing some tribe of French West Africa.

underoath
07-01-2005, 08:53 PM
Wait so he's not a former volleyball player?

Kori Ellis
07-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Wait so he's not a former volleyball player?

Correct.

R.C. Buford said that he has no idea where ESPN got that "trash" about volleyball.

I (probably incorrectly?) deduced that they must have been looking at Splitter's bio because ESPN called Ian a 20-year-old former volleyball player .. and that describes Splitter.

benjirh
07-01-2005, 09:03 PM
"from france"

... but like Tony, not ethnically French. What is Ian's ethnicity? I'm guessing some tribe of French West Africa.

Is there a reason this matters? He was actually born in France.

boutons
07-01-2005, 09:21 PM
It doesn't matter at all, just curious.

Galileo
11-21-2008, 04:15 PM
ian Mahinmi
NBA Position: Power Forward
Ht: 6-10
Wt: 230
Int Team: STB Le Havre
Hometown: Rouen, France

Stats

-Rob Salvador 10/4/04

OK, now that three years have gone by, is there an update? Will Mahimni be an all-star by 2010? I think he will become a monster for the Spurs.

timvp
11-21-2008, 04:17 PM
OK, now that three years have gone by, is there an update? Will Mahimni be an all-star by 2010? I think he will become a monster for the Spurs.

He won't be an All-Star by 2010. He'll probably never be an All-Star. For the next few seasons, if he plays as well as Nazr did during the 2005 playoffs that'd be fantastic.

Lower the bar.

T Park
11-21-2008, 04:29 PM
He won't be an All-Star by 2010. He'll probably never be an All-Star. For the next few seasons, if he plays as well as Nazr did during the 2005 playoffs that'd be fantastic.

Lower the bar.

Agreed.

I prefer to be positive and hopefull on Mahinmi, hes shown alot in DLeague to not be serviceable IMO, in the league.

ChumpDumper
11-21-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm hoping for Elsonish performance this season.

Galileo
11-21-2008, 04:44 PM
I'm hoping for Elsonish performance this season.

He will be better than that. And better than Nazr Mohammed. He has elite athletic skills and is learning from the masters.

ChumpDumper
11-21-2008, 04:47 PM
He's very athletic, but still raw in many ways. If he can run and dunk like Elson did and alter some shots and get to the right spots on defense, the Spurs will be in very good shape.

T Park
11-21-2008, 04:48 PM
He's very athletic, but still raw in many ways. If he can run and dunk like Elson did and alter some shots and get to the right spots on defense, the Spurs will be in very good shape.

A smarter version of Francisco Elson is pretty much all this team needs right now.

MaNu4Tres
11-21-2008, 04:51 PM

Whens the last time you saw him play? Just curious

timvp
11-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Mahinmi's floor is probably a more mechanical version of Elson ... which would probably get him sent back to Austin. He has a chance to help the Spurs this year but the chances of him not being able to cut in the NBA right now are probably higher than the chances that he'll be able to win the starting center job.

ChumpDumper
11-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Whens the last time you saw him play? Just curiousFar too long ago. Looking forward to seeing him play tomorrow night.

Brazil
11-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Mahinmi's floor is probably a more mechanical version of Elson ... which would probably get him sent back to Austin. He has a chance to help the Spurs this year but the chances of him not being able to cut in the NBA right now are probably higher than the chances that he'll be able to win the starting center job.

We will see we timvp, I agree with you on the "lower the expectation" aspect, but I'm still confident that he is nba material.

duncan228
11-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Looking forward to seeing him play tomorrow night.

Please post your thoughts on him when you can. It's hard not to be a little excited about what he can bring to us, it will be nice to hear what you see in him.

galvatron3000
11-21-2008, 05:05 PM
I've never seen the kid play but I've always had high expectation from him. I just hope his niche is rebounding and deterring shots in the paint. If that's the case, a la Ben Wallace then I am good. I know he is pretty athetetic based on a older video of him when his mold was suppose to be closer to Garnett, don't know about that now though.

AFBlue
11-21-2008, 05:08 PM
I wonder if he can score on the NBA level....

Yes, he did a very good job establishing position and was good at finishing or drawing a foul around the basket in the D-League, but he was almost always bigger, taller, or more athletic than his opponent right?

And the interesting thing about the scouting report is that it's almost completely focused on his defense. But, based on the last couple years of watching him in Austin, I would say there's much more emphasis on his O...which is a bad thing since it's not advanced.

I don't think we'll truly be able to get a reading of where Mahinmi is in his development and really what he's capable of doing at the NBA level long-term until he gets the opportunity to get out on the court and play with the big boys.

Once he has proven he's in game-shape and has a few games under his belt, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets that opportunity....and I'm looking forward to it.

manufan10
07-06-2021, 05:13 PM

widowmaker
07-06-2021, 06:03 PM
Dude never panned out for the Spurs anyway. Who cares.

K...
07-06-2021, 06:39 PM
i thought he was legit retired the moment he got that big contract, but i guess for professionalism sake this is the actual end?

exstatic
07-06-2021, 09:59 PM
Even when players don’t pan out for us, they still have NBA careers. As a late first rounder, Ian played over 600 NBA games.

Congratulation, Ian.

timtonymanu
07-06-2021, 10:00 PM
At least he got a ring with Dallas. He was basically a placeholder for Splitter who turned out much better for us.

slick'81
07-06-2021, 11:08 PM
Rip ians career

buttsR4rebounding
07-08-2021, 03:38 PM
He was the first Spur that really got screwed by the medical staff. They misdiagnosed his ankle injury that cost him almost an entire season that he would have played huge minutes. I always wondered what would have happened if that didn't occur. Maybe nothing different, but it definitely contributed to him and the Spurs parting ways.

I wish him the best. He can go back to playing volleyball, the sport he really loves.