DarkReign
12-06-2012, 04:45 PM
diP-o_JxysA

Wild Cobra
12-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Another "must see."

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-06-2012, 04:52 PM
There's a few extra seconds in the Japanese version that jump out, especially since they've worked so hard to coooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnceal exactly who the villain is in this one.

BrHlQUXFzfw

CubanMustGo
12-06-2012, 05:07 PM
I don't think it's Kahn ... it's Gary freaking Mitchell (and the blonde looks just like the one in the TV series). Is that's the best they could do?

DPG21920
12-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Looks awesome. I remember how surprised I was walking out of the first one. Really did not expect a lot but thought it was really well done.

Captain Kirk
12-06-2012, 05:13 PM
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/20309_o.gif

pass1st
12-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Looks like Gary is the villain in this one

CuckingFunt
12-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Cumberbatch!

reason
12-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Bring back Kirk.

benefactor
12-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Looks awesome. I remember how surprised I was walking out of the first one. Really did not expect a lot but thought it was really well done.
Same here. I'll definitely be seeing this one opening week.

Juggity
12-06-2012, 09:02 PM
This looks deplorable.

It's not even star trek anymore.

tlongII
12-06-2012, 09:44 PM
I'm a Star Trek geek so of course I'll watch it.

mojorizen7
12-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Cool.
I wasn't keen on the story aspect of the first reboot(timeline stuff) ,but they nailed the new,younger cast IMO.

I think this Gary Mitchell character is from the "Where No Man Has Gone Before" episode....the second pilot that introduced Bill Shatner. I'll have to boot up my OS collection.

desflood
12-07-2012, 06:55 AM
There's a few extra seconds in the Japanese version that jump out, especially since they've worked so hard to coooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnceal exactly who the villain is in this one.

BrHlQUXFzfw
Thanks for putting that up - those few seconds make all the difference.

CubanSucks
12-07-2012, 02:24 PM
when's this fucking trailer plague that is the Inception BWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gonna be over?

Proxy
12-09-2012, 01:17 PM
This looks deplorable.

It's not even star trek anymore.

I enjoyed the first one and this one looks fun... but I wasn't a trek fan growing up. What are the glaring differences from the show other than the obvious injection of action scenes?

Juggity
12-09-2012, 01:36 PM
I enjoyed the first one and this one looks fun... but I wasn't a trek fan growing up. What are the glaring differences from the show other than the obvious injection of action scenes?

In the show (at least the later series) there was always this focus on a realistic approach to alien cultures. Rather than throwing down to fight at the drop of a hat, a lot of the show was concerned with politics or the nuances of first contact, scientific exploration, cautious diplomacy, and war only as a last resort.

One of the reasons I always preferred star trek to star wars was that in star trek, the writers always took great pains to try to make technologies and processes look feasible for the distant future. In Star Wars, the fallback was always just magic — "the force" as a catch-all that can explain anything; people jumping all over the place, displaying inhuman skills and traits, etc. Maybe other people liked that, but I always found it much less interesting because it turned into fantasy rather than science fiction.

In Star Trek, it always felt like the villains had a legitimate beef with the heroes. In Star Wars, the goals always felt much less clear, like for some reason all the villains are just intrinsically evil and don't give a fuck about anything except killing jedi and gaining power (with which to do what, though?).

I won't claim that Star Trek hasn't had its low points in terms of writing, but this new movie seems like it's approaching star wars levels. Cheesy dialogue and thin plotlines masked by a bunch of explosions, maniacal villains, and huge fight scenes. It just feels like there isn't much DNA left from star trek in these movies.

TDMVPDPOY
12-09-2012, 01:43 PM
In the show (at least the later series) there was always this focus on a realistic approach to alien cultures. Rather than throwing down to fight at the drop of a hat, a lot of the show was concerned with politics or the nuances of first contact, scientific exploration, cautious diplomacy, and war only as a last resort.

One of the reasons I always preferred star trek to star wars was that in star trek, the writers always took great pains to try to make technologies and processes look feasible for the distant future. In Star Wars, the fallback was always just magic — "the force" as a catch-all that can explain anything; people jumping all over the place, displaying inhuman skills and traits, etc. Maybe other people liked that, but I always found it much less interesting because it turned into fantasy rather than science fiction.

In Star Trek, it always felt like the villains had a legitimate beef with the heroes. In Star Wars, the goals always felt much less clear, like for some reason all the villains are just intrinsically evil and don't give a fuck about anything except killing jedi and gaining power (with which to do what, though?).

I won't claim that Star Trek hasn't had its low points in terms of writing, but this new movie seems like it's approaching star wars levels. Cheesy dialogue and thin plotlines masked by a bunch of explosions, maniacal villains, and huge fight scenes. It just feels like there isn't much DNA left from star trek in these movies.

never been a fan of both, or watch any just glimpses of here and there....but starwars seems like nobody can put up a strong fight cause of all the the unexplain super powers one can gain while the other cant due to some reason unexplained...while startrek, stargate at least everyone is on the same lvl playin field no advantages over the other

Proxy
12-09-2012, 01:56 PM

I see... yeah that is disheartening to alienate the original fanbase like that. Even though I enjoyed the previous movie, I acknowledged it was an entertaining action movie with the sci-fi fantasy look and not anything intellectual. Since Prometheus somewhat disappointed in it's writing, I'm really itching for a good sci-fi movie. Last one I can remember was Moon.

ace3g
12-17-2012, 11:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZE4gqGV6HM

mFFL03
12-17-2012, 06:42 PM
The first 10 minutes leaked out on the internet today...who wants to find and post it.

ace3g
03-09-2013, 03:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RxZcxkFZZP0

jeebus
03-09-2013, 03:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RxZcxkFZZP0
I still don't know what this movie is about.

Wild Cobra
03-09-2013, 04:39 PM
It doesn't matter.

It's Star Trek!

ace3g
03-09-2013, 04:41 PM
One day it is "this trailer shows way too much" others it is "what the hell is this movie about"

Wild Cobra
03-09-2013, 06:09 PM
One day it is "this trailer shows way too much" others it is "what the hell is this movie about"

No shit.

That trailer shows just enough so you know it's a well done movie, but not enough to be a spoiler of any sort.

Kind of like women...

The best ones show just little, and not too much... Makes you want to explore!

Trainwreck2100
03-10-2013, 01:01 AM
too bad we can't google earth this movie amirite?

Wild Cobra
03-10-2013, 01:09 AM
LOL...

Makes you want to see it, doesn't it. Satisfy that curiosity...

jeebus
03-10-2013, 01:17 AM
LOL...

Makes you want to see it, doesn't it. Satisfy that curiosity...
I was gonna see it no matter what. It's just the trailer doesn't do it for me. The last movie, I kinda knew what it was gonna be about from the trailer: how Kirk and company came to be, the Enterprise, etc. I don't think they mentioned the Romulans, which was fine. This time around they showed some skinny little dude with a sheldon haircut and making him out to be the villain. I'd rather not see who it is at all in the trailer...dunno if that makes sense. lol

benefactor
05-14-2013, 06:11 AM
Comes out this weekend. It's getting great early reviews. I'll probably go Saturday.

J.T.
05-14-2013, 07:53 AM
Comes out this weekend. It's getting great early reviews. I'll probably go Saturday.

Midnight Friday tbh. You're a fag for waiting.

benefactor
05-14-2013, 11:27 AM
I know...the wife took my Vulcan ears away from me when we got married. I'm still recovering tbh.

J.T.
05-16-2013, 12:32 AM
Midnight Friday tbh. You're a fag for waiting.

I one-upped even myself. Local theater had a 9:00PM IMAX 3D screening so I went with a friend. We'd been waiting for that movie for 4 years. Very worthy sequel, tbh. They kept some elements from The Wrath of Khan, which I was pleased with, but Abrams stayed true to the first movie and is telling his own story with these characters. My only gripe with the movie was that I didn't really feel like there was all that much 3D for the price I paid. But unlike Avante I didn't spend $60 at the concession stand ($0, actually) so I'm happy with the overall experience.

No post-credits scene, so don't waste your time sitting through it unless your cousin was on the staff or some shit. I took that bullet for all of ya.

RandomGuy
05-16-2013, 04:06 PM
I one-upped even myself. Local theater had a 9:00PM IMAX 3D screening so I went with a friend. We'd been waiting for that movie for 4 years. Very worthy sequel, tbh. They kept some elements from The Wrath of Khan, which I was pleased with, but Abrams stayed true to the first movie and is telling his own story with these characters. My only gripe with the movie was that I didn't really feel like there was all that much 3D for the price I paid. But unlike Avante I didn't spend $60 at the concession stand ($0, actually) so I'm happy with the overall experience.

No post-credits scene, so don't waste your time sitting through it unless your cousin was on the staff or some shit. I took that bullet for all of ya.

Duly noted. Thanks.

benefactor
05-16-2013, 07:03 PM
Just got back. Solid follow up...acting, action, story...not much to complain about.

8.5/10

Durant82
05-19-2013, 09:16 PM
I like how JJ Abrams toned down the lens flare for this one.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Saw it this weekend. Pretty much enjoyed the hell out of it until the last 15-20 minutes. The first one struck a good balance between paying tribute and respecting the original material while still finding its own voice and ideas for the movie. This one did that for about 80-90% before falling off that wagon pretty hard.

Bottom line: if you liked the first one, you'll like this one. It's a summer blockbuster through and through and holds no pretenses to be something more than that.

CubanMustGo
05-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Yeah, he's pretty much on the "fuck the Trekkies" bandwagon. :lol

Spur|n|Austin
05-20-2013, 02:49 PM

:lol Thank you, sir.

MannyIsGod
05-20-2013, 06:11 PM
I really enjoyed it. Don't think its a "fuck the trekkies" thing at all. Just a reimagination with a lot of homage paid.

Fabbs
05-20-2013, 07:14 PM
Information i could have used a day earlier.
Was going to sit for a few afterwords anyways. :lol
Does anyone keep track of the length of these.
It has got to be a record.
I think 5 minutes had gone by when i left and it was still rolling credits.