PDA

View Full Version : Good article from Fox

bigfan
12-06-2012, 06:34 PM
http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/12/06/12/Stern-change-Spurs-Give-it-a-rest/msn_landing.html?blockID=831467&feedID=3581

Mark in Austin
12-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Writer makes the same mistake most people covering the Spurs make: Uses terms / phrases like slow, steady, sure, quietly taking care, winning games quietly, inching closer etc to describe the team. But in reality the Spurs on the court are nothing like that. It's just that for reporters / columnists, the Spurs are a boring, quiet team to write about because they actually have to pay attention to the games. They can't fill half their columns writing about off court drama & speculating about who the next coach will be, if Lamar is too distracted by his reality TV show, etc.

The Spurs are boring to reporters / columnists looking for the sensational tabloid headline / article. Not to people who love basketball.

racm
12-06-2012, 07:38 PM
If the NBA were run like a foreign league the Spurs would be seen as THE model organization.

Except it's run like the WWE in an attempt to curry celebrity over the sport, so no one can write about the Spurs unless they watch Spurs games.

KaiRMD1
12-06-2012, 08:43 PM
The Lakers are the John Cena of the NBA

YoMamaIsCallin
12-07-2012, 09:57 AM
The Lakers are the John Cena of the NBA

That would be a valid comparison if, you know, the WWE was an actual competitive sport. Rather than one where the characters, story lines, and "results" of the "matches" are scripted.

Don't get me wrong, I like the WWE. But it's not a sport. It's an exhibition for entertainment, basically a soap opera for men. And boys.

romain.star
12-07-2012, 10:50 AM
That would be a valid comparison if, you know, the WWE was an actual competitive sport. Rather than one where the characters, story lines, and "results" of the "matches" are scripted.

Don't get me wrong, I like the WWE. But it's not a sport. It's an exhibition for entertainment, basically a soap opera for men. And boys.

Are some of the US fans actually believe that it's not scripted matches?!

KaiRMD1
12-07-2012, 06:49 PM

With the way the NBA is going, I doubt it's much of a competitive sport anymore especially when owners, analysts and even the commissioner keep referring to it as a "business" and not a sport first and foremost.

Darius Bieber
12-07-2012, 07:52 PM

Sounds like Stern's NBA at the moment.

YoMamaIsCallin
12-08-2012, 11:46 AM
With the way the NBA is going, I doubt it's much of a competitive sport anymore especially when owners, analysts and even the commissioner keep referring to it as a "business" and not a sport first and foremost.

At a high level both the NBA and the WWE are in fact in the entertainment business, and they compete for TV ratings and deals, ticket revenue, etc. If it weren't for the NBA business there would be no NBA sport.

YoMamaIsCallin
12-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Sounds like Stern's NBA at the moment.

I think that's going way too far. There will always be tension between the business and sports aspects of the NBA, but no one believes the NBA does not have actual competition or that the results are predetermined, except conspiracy theorists.