PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili intends to retire a Spur

Dex
12-07-2012, 03:58 PM
No surprises here, but....whatever. Read it if you're bored.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1431995-charting-manu-ginobilis-future-with-the-san-antonio-spurs

Charting Manu Ginobili's Future with the San Antonio Spurs
By: Garrett Jochnau

Since arriving in San Antonio for the 2002-2003 NBA season, Manu Ginobili has been one of the most influential members on the roster.

He was a late second-round draft pick and, despite the odds, matured to be one of the best players in San Antonio Spurs history.

Now a seasoned veteran, the 35-year-old Ginobili is witnessing a gradual decline as he plays out the final year of his contract.

Just last year, the Spurs were witnessing a similar situation emerging with Tim Duncan.

The team's franchise star was nearing the end of his $21.16 million dollar deal and, with the offseason approaching, it was common knowledge that the future Hall-of-Famer would re-sign with his former team.

Like Duncan, there is little question where Ginobili will spend the final years of his career. The Spurs have been his home and family since arriving as a rookie and he has no intentions of taking his talents elsewhere.

"I have two years left on my contract with San Antonio and my intention is not to play in another team and to retire as a Spur," Ginobili said.

Duncan declared himself a "Spur for life" and, after signing another paycheck with the team, has emerged as an All-Star talent, despite his obvious age concerns.

So what is in store for Ginobili?

While the Argentinean guard is not quite as physically attached to Duncan, the only other route NBA fans can imagine him taking is retirement.

With another few years on the squad likely, however, the biggest questions are his contract situation and his role with the team.

Ginobili currently leads the Spurs in terms of salary, with just over $14 million remaining in his most recent deal. However, the two time All-Star has lost a step or two over the last few years and injury has plagued his entire career.

A pay cut would be expected anyways, but should he follow in Duncan's shoes here, a dramatic decrease could be looming.

Duncan's pay cut ensured that the Spurs would remain contenders beyond his retirement, and Ginobili will likely make his decision baring the team's future in mind, as well.

Every NBA team has developed a family-like atmosphere, but the "Spurs Big Three" have realized that sacrifice is necessary should the team succeed.

“A lot of people ask me, ‘How are you so successful in San Antonio?’” Parker said. “Because, I say, we did a lot of sacrifice. When you look at Manu, Manu did a lot of sacrifice to stay here. I did the same thing. Sometimes when you want to win championships, you have to do that.”

By taking less than what his market value may be, Ginobili would give the Spurs flexibility over the offseason, increasing their chances of winning a title as his window for another ring closes.

With plays like this, Ginobili ensures San Antonio fans that he's still a presence. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VhbwQM9-UJw)

Although the deal itself cannot be predetermined, one cannot consider Ginobili donning colors other than the sleek black and silver next year.

With his fate on the team fairly secure, the other question that Ginobili brings forth is his role on the team.

Throughout his career, the shooting guard has witnessed his spot in the rotation fluctuate from starter to sixth man multiple times. But with the emergence of Danny Green, his future as the team's spark off of the bench is practically written in stone.

However, while Ginobili will be one of the team's most prominent players until he hangs up his jersey, the effects of aging have hit him harder than others on the team.

Needless to say,his minutes will be monitored heavily.

As of December 5, he is averaging 24.5 minutes per game, the third lowest behind last year's 23 and his rookie campaign.

This obvious decline in playing time is evidence that Ginobili is beginning to slow down.

And while his leadership and intelligence will never disintegrate, his fading talent will force him to shift from a star to a role player.

However, despite his decline, one thing is for sure.

When the 2013 NBA season tips off, Manu Ginobili will be a Spur—a title that will never fade.

Dex
12-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Just realized how misleading this title could be....This should be fun. :downspin:

Chinook
12-07-2012, 04:06 PM
No surprises here, but....whatever. Read it if you're bored.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1431995-charting-manu-ginobilis-future-with-the-san-antonio-spurs

Interesting article, but like many BR postings, it's recycling old information/interviews. Ginobili probably has one or two years left in him. I think he'll do like Duncan and sign a contract below market value but with a no-trade clause included. (It's funny that there were only two players that had no-trade clauses before this offseason, but now there are four and San Antonio could potentially add two more with Manu and Jack.)

It's still nice to hear players say to the media that they don't plan to leave. That's such a contrast from what we normally see.

Mouth is Bleeding
12-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Hate bleacherreport

TMTTRIO
12-07-2012, 05:23 PM
of course especially if he decides this is his last year. With his health issues and the way he's been struggling I think he should consider retirement after this season is over. Good to see he's already training his boys even though he said he doesn't want them to be basketball players.
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/559760_413721988698425_644239760_n.jpg
Thanks to InfoManu

timvp
12-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Hopefully Ginobili doesn't retire after this season. He has too much basketball left in him.

BillMc
12-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Interesting article, but like many BR postings, it's recycling old information/interviews. Ginobili probably has one or two years left in him. I think he'll do like Duncan and sign a contract below market value but with a no-trade clause included. (It's funny that there were only two players that had no-trade clauses before this offseason, but now there are four and San Antonio could potentially add two more with Manu and Jack.)

It's still nice to hear players say to the media that they don't plan to leave. That's such a contrast from what we normally see.

Can Jack have a no trade clause? I'm probably wrong, but I thought there was some rule about how long you have to have been with a club to get one. Anyone who knows, I'd appreciate the enlightenment.

Chinook
12-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Can Jack have a no trade clause? I'm probably wrong, but I thought there was some rule about how long you have to have been with a club to get one. Anyone who knows, I'd appreciate the enlightenment.

You have to have been in the league for at least eight years, and have been with the team with which you get the no-trade clause for four years. The years do not have to be consecutive. This is Jack's fourth year in San Antonio. So he should be eligible so long as he finishes the year out with the Spurs.

Read more here: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q97

It's possible that last year doesn't count as a full year. If that's the case, he would not be eligible. But the rules seem unclear about what conditions need to be met to accrue a season.

Mal
12-07-2012, 06:39 PM
This could be interesting off season. With Bonner, Jax and Manu contracts expiring, and Leonard, Duncan, Green all signed relativly cheap. Spurs can keep same, old, core, after resigning Gino, Jax and still have room to add new player. With Howard, Jefferson, Millsap, Smith and West hitting FA.

letmk
12-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Hopefully Ginobili doesn't retire after this season. He has too much basketball left in him.

I really hope can learn something from Kidd. Not the playing style as they are totally different type of players. But Kidd's approach to the transition from his heydays to old-days.

BillMc
12-07-2012, 06:42 PM
You have to have been in the league for at least eight years, and have been with the team with which you get the no-trade clause for four years. The years do not have to be consecutive. This is Jack's fourth year in San Antonio. So he should be eligible so long as he finishes the year out with the Spurs.

It's possible that last year doesn't count as a full year. If that's the case, he would not be eligible. But the rules seem unclear about what conditions need to be met to accrue a season.
:toastMany thanks. I guess the next question is, if Jack's eligible do Pop and RC want to give him one in the negotiations? If Jack does something dumb (not impossible) or ages poorly, they won't be able to unload him.

Mal
12-07-2012, 06:42 PM

Spurs` are too classy to sign Jax cheap and then ship him elsewhere. I think you can count on Buford/Pop to keep their word. But having clause is good option.

Chinook
12-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Let's say Jack is a key cog to another memorable playoff run. My guess is the Spurs will sign him and let the Big Four continue age together. If Jack sees a better opportunity (HEAT) elsewhere I can totally imagine him leaving. But he and Spurs fans have a strong love affair going on. I think he'd rather to ride off to the sunset with Duncan and Manu rather than risk going to another bad situation.

DapDaGenius
12-07-2012, 07:26 PM
I was hoping we were going to trade him to the Bobcats for some Cheetos.

Darius Bieber
12-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Bleacher Report sucks ass to be honest. All wannabe writers where anyone can apply to write an article.

That being said, I would assume the entire big three will retire with the Spurs (probably not all at once, but could be a possibility) and have their jerseys retired within a few years.

capek
12-07-2012, 08:15 PM
I really hope can learn something from Kidd. Not the playing style as they are totally different type of players. But Kidd's approach to the transition from his heydays to old-days.

Ya, that would be perfect. I'd love to see Manu continue on for a few years after his current contract, playing a limited Horry-type role, obviously for a much smaller dollar figure. Maybe during that time he decides to move to the bench and learn the coaching game. I just hate the thought of saying goodbye to the big three completely. :cry

jestersmash
12-07-2012, 09:45 PM
His final contract will be for 2 years, ~10-13M (total) IMO. Could go as high as 15M depending on whether or not he's able to regain his all-nba caliber form by (and through) the playoffs, but 15M/2 years is his absolute limit.

I also suspect the second year of the contract could be a player option, similar to what the Spurs gave Duncan.

superjames1992
12-08-2012, 01:08 AM
Ya, that would be perfect. I'd love to see Manu continue on for a few years after his current contract, playing a limited Horry-type role, obviously for a much smaller dollar figure. Maybe during that time he decides to move to the bench and learn the coaching game. I just hate the thought of saying goodbye to the big three completely. :cry
So do I. :(

Manu's game has changed some over the years. He's much more of a three-point shooter than he once was, so there's that.

hater
12-14-2012, 12:50 AM
I hope this TOSB retires soon :lol

DMC
12-14-2012, 01:09 AM
Based on the thread title I had to ask "Which one?"

superjames1992
12-14-2012, 01:13 AM
Manu puts up another good night. 12 points, 4/7 FG, SIX rebounds, SEVEN assists, four turnovers (too high, I will admit!)

But the haters keep on hating.

Parker only gets five assists. Manu out-assists him and he's our PG? WTF?