PDA

View Full Version : We have two capable backup PGs

letmk
12-07-2012, 10:35 PM
in De Colo and CoJo, just keep Neal and Mills as backup SGs. Therefore it plays to all their strength.

Brunodf
12-07-2012, 10:40 PM
Nando>>>Cojo

Splits
12-07-2012, 10:40 PM
We're going to have a mess on our hands finding playing time for guys who deserve minutes once KL and Jack get back.

99 Problems
12-07-2012, 10:44 PM
It would be nice to have the luxury to keep all four. Each have strengths and are Spur type guys. Hanging with Pop for as long as possible will be good for these lads.

spursmartyr
12-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Cujo's still way too raw for the playoffs, tbh. I like Nando's D, playmaking and good-enough shooting, but he's going to have to cut back on those unnecessary flashy passes because they won't fly in the playoffs.

letmk
12-07-2012, 10:51 PM
Cujo's still way too raw for the playoffs, tbh. I like Nando's D, playmaking and good-enough shooting, but he's going to have to cut back on those unnecessary flashy passes because they won't fly in the playoffs.

Use Nando as the backup PG, and CoJo is good enough to be an injury insurance. Plus, Manu can some minutes at PG. Just don't make Neal and Milles play PGs.

timvp
12-07-2012, 10:52 PM
If everyone gets healthy, I'd bet Neal is still the backup point guard. De Colo is probably the next in line. Mills has fallen into a change-of-pace role, which probably suits him best anyways.

Joseph is still on the Toros if everyone else is healthy.

playblair
12-07-2012, 10:53 PM
cojo is hands down the best option for back up pg ....

1. cojo gets to the rim & finishes

2. cojo does not commit turnovers

3. cojo has impressive defense

letmk
12-07-2012, 10:59 PM
If everyone gets healthy, I'd bet Neal is still the backup point guard. De Colo is probably the next in line. Mills has fallen into a change-of-pace role, which probably suits him best anyways.

Joseph is still on the Toros if everyone else is healthy.

I agree this might still be what Pop will do. Right now, Neal is surely more value to the team, but I just doubt a PG Neal will necessarily be better than De Colo or even CoJo. He just has no court-vision instinct and has subpar dribbling at a PG level.

Malik Hairston
12-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Joseph has looked soft in most of the meaningful minutes he has received, tbh..I don't buy the hype..he would get devoured in the playoffs, tbh..

letmk
12-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Joseph has looked soft in most of the meaningful minutes he has received, tbh..I don't buy the hype..he would get devoured in the playoffs, tbh..

I doubt there are many better #3 PGs even in playoff teams.

Malik Hairston
12-07-2012, 11:03 PM
I doubt there are many better #3 PGs even in playoff teams.

Maybe, but #3 PGs generally don't get minutes in the playoffs, which is my point..Joseph isn't ready to play a #2 role..

DesertSpur50
12-07-2012, 11:03 PM

Agreed. I feel much more comfortable with Nando running point than Joseph. That being said, I like what I see out of both players.

spursmartyr
12-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Use Nando as the backup PG, and CoJo is good enough to be an injury insurance. Plus, Manu can some minutes at PG. Just don't make Neal and Milles play PGs.

Mills has virtually no place in the playoffs, aside from blowouts, and even in blowouts you shouldn't play Mills with Nando AND Cujo -- that mini me crap is too pathetic even for a 40 point blowout in the playoffs.

of course, we can only have 13 players on the active roster at any given one time. So to me Mills is the odd man out.

As it stands, our playoff bench should be Manu, Green, Tiago, Neal, Nando, Anderson & the turd towers. Leaves us pretty damn thin up front, so we should pursue a trade for a decent good defensive and rebounding big man who can finish and is not too raw or dumb. Anyone I listed above after Tiago, along with the starters, is touchable in the event of a trade.

spursmartyr
12-07-2012, 11:06 PM
Neal, Anderson, the turd towers, Mills and Cujo are all tradeable

letmk
12-07-2012, 11:06 PM
Maybe, but #3 PGs generally don't get minutes in the playoffs, which is my point..Joseph isn't ready to play a #2 role..

Agree with what you said. My point is that even so, most teams still don't hesitate playing their #3 PGs when injury happens rather than converting non-PG to play PG.

letmk
12-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Neal, Anderson, the turd towers, Mills and Cujo are all tradeable

At this point, I wouldn't trade Neal since he is a unique microwave-type player. Of course, if we can dream of getting Varejo, that's another story.

Boomersgold
12-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Yes to De Colo, No to Joseph. Joseph's too raw and hasn't figured out how to use his talents effectively. His defense is great, he moves on the court very well, but that just hasn't translated to a positive +/- (even when he doesn't play rubbish minutes). Mills and Neal have probably been shifted to the SG role, although I still see Pop using Mills as the backup PG against quicker guards like Ty Lawson.

Brunodf
12-07-2012, 11:25 PM
At this point, I wouldn't trade Neal since he is a unique microwave-type player. Of course, if we can dream of getting Varejo, that's another story.

He will walk if we don't trade him

SpursFan0728
12-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Really like CuJo improvement this year. He plays great D and is becoming more confidence on
offense.

timvp
12-07-2012, 11:34 PM
Yes to De Colo

:smchode:

Boomersgold
12-07-2012, 11:35 PM
:smchode:
I might not be a De Colo fan, but it's not that hard to see that he's a natural point guard.
:downspin:

cd98
12-07-2012, 11:39 PM
Good news is Spurs can play with short shooting guards cause Joseph and De Colo can guard twos.

Boomersgold
12-07-2012, 11:41 PM
Good news is Spurs can play with short shooting guards cause Joseph and De Colo can guard twos.

and Manu.

Biernutz
12-07-2012, 11:44 PM
How many players on the spurs can play now point---Tony, Paddy, Nando, Gary, Cory and Manu.

Stabula
12-08-2012, 05:02 AM
Nando and CoJo seem to have strengths that best suit a back-up PG role while Mills and Neal seem to have strengths that best suit a back-up SG role. That being said I would rather have Nando than CoJo and rather have Mills than Neal. It is possible that CoJo can develop into something great someday so I wouldn't rule him out at all but I'm liking what I'm seeing from Nando more and more. The guy is really starting to develop. As for the SGs I think Neal has hit his ceiling while Mills is younger and still has a ways to develop as a player. Both have beautiful shooting strokes but Mills is quicker, better at pressure defense, and will only get better.

Darkwaters
12-08-2012, 07:07 AM
The best part of this situation is that Pop has a variety of options behind Tony. Rather than watch Neal get roasted alive in the playoffs again this year, the team will have a litany of backup points with heavily varied skills, strengths and weaknesses. Find the hot hand. In a best of 7 series that could really come in handy.

Bruno
12-08-2012, 07:30 AM
I will repeat a little what I've said in another thread but, even if he is a damn good player, you had to wonder how much Spurs need to have Neal with their current roster.
Neal at PG isn't that good. He is way better at SG. If De Colo keeps playing that way, he might end up as the best option for the backup PG slot.
At SG, spurs still have Green and Ginobili. Even considering injuries and small ball, Neal would have a limited role as 3rd string SG.
Having a player that can bring instance offense at the end of the bench is always nice but Spurs do have another player with Mills that can play that role. Mills isn't as good as Neal but he is good enough for that role and he also bring some quickness that can be very useful in some matchups.

Paranoid Pop
12-08-2012, 07:45 AM
I will repeat a little what I've said in another thread but, even if he is a damn good player, you had to wonder how much Spurs need to have Neal with their current roster.
Neal at PG isn't that good. He is way better at SG. If De Colo keeps playing that way, he might end up as the best option for the backup PG slot.
At SG, spurs still have Green and Ginobili. Even considering injuries and small ball, Neal would have a limited role as 3rd string SG.
Having a player that can bring instance offense at the end of the bench is always nice but Spurs do have another player with Mills that can play that role. Mills isn't as good as Neal but he is good enough for that role and he also bring some quickness that can be very useful in some matchups.

Imo Neal could be the starting SG, Pop seem to have a crush on Green but I'd rather trade Green.

TDMVPDPOY
12-08-2012, 08:02 AM
if de colo can limit his stupid turnovers from flashy passes, increase his shooting efficiency...he could end up better somewhere between vet brent barry and rookie beno...

polandprzem
12-08-2012, 08:35 AM
I always said that De Colo should be the back up and that's it!

But of course we have Pop who rather trust experience of neal then De Colo's. But how can it be when Neal is capable of doing silly mistakes as well esp on the PG position.
Neal is not a fast or quick guy so I can't imagine him run the ball on fast pace when the spurs needs it.

Boomersgold
12-08-2012, 08:42 AM

But of course we have Pop who rather trust experience of neal then De Colo's. But how can it be when Neal is capable of doing silly mistakes as well esp on the PG position.
Neal is not a fast or quick guy so I can't imagine him run the ball on fast pace when the spurs needs it.

Neither is De Colo. In fact, Neal's a lot faster than De Colo. The fastest back up point guard is Patty. If you want a point guard that's fast and plays at a fast pace, then De Colo ISN'T your man. De Colo plays a slower, more controlled offense.

letmk
12-08-2012, 08:49 AM

Agreed. Even De Colo or others as back-up PG is not necessarily better than Neal considering experiences and other things, it at least can set free Neal the SG.

spurraider21
12-08-2012, 08:59 AM
guys, its really quite simple :lol

PG - Parker - De Colo - Mills - Joseph
.................\
.................Neal
................./
SG - Green - Manu
...........................\
............................Anderson
.........................../
SF - Kawhi - Jackson
............................\
............................Diaw
............................/
PF - Timmy Duncan - Matt Bonner

C - DeJuan Blair - Tiago Splitter

not really sure what all the confusion is about :downspin:

Captivus
12-08-2012, 09:06 AM
By PO time Pop is gonna ave a better idea of what Nando can and cant do.
I wouldnt trade Neal, he can win games by himself.
What teams need a PG? Thats the question i have now.

polandprzem
12-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Neither is De Colo. In fact, Neal's a lot faster than De Colo. The fastest back up point guard is Patty. If you want a point guard that's fast and plays at a fast pace, then De Colo ISN'T your man. De Colo plays a slower, more controlled offense.

Neal is a lot faster then De Colo - that's interesting.

As far as playmaking skills and create for others I think De Colo dominates Gary. Just watch how much he will develop.

100%duncan
12-08-2012, 10:14 AM
No one fucking touches Gary Neal. He stays ma niggas.

timvp
12-08-2012, 12:58 PM

Massive fail, unfortunately.

The Spurs play at the fastest pace by far when De Colo is in the game.

Boomersgold
12-08-2012, 01:03 PM

Sure didn't feel like it from the viewer's perspective. Most of the times, what I saw was De Colo patiently waiting for the bigs to get down on the court so that he could set a pick 'n' roll with them or set them up for an easy layup. Not once did I see "Showtime", where the point guard would race up the court and the team would attempt to score quickly without any proper offensive plays and before the defense of the opposition could fully set, à la Magic Johnson.

EDIT: Also having Patty Mills on the court with him probably was part of the reason for the Spurs' high possessions per minutes when De Colo was on.

therealtruth
12-08-2012, 02:00 PM

Makes sense. Steve Nash is not the fastest guy but he runs offenses that have the fastest paces.

spurraider21
12-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Most of the times, what I saw was De Colo patiently waiting for the bigs to get down on the court so that he could set a pick 'n' roll with them or set them up for an easy layup. Not once did I see "Showtime", where the point guard would race up the court and the team would attempt to score quickly without any proper offensive plays and before the defense of the opposition could fully set, à la Magic Johnson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqWblfnTL3M
and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoXxnSFy0a4

Southwest Texas Fan
12-08-2012, 03:42 PM

I know it's early but what do you think is De Colo's ceiling?