PDA

View Full Version : Spurs draft to world beat again with Mahinmi

timvp
06-29-2005, 12:30 AM
Spurs draft to world beat again with Mahinmi: French forward, 18, had not been on many lists but follows pattern

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA062905.1C.BKNspurs.draft.1a63dff2.html

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

When Sam Presti, the Spurs' director of player personnel, returned last summer from Zaragosa, Spain, after scouting the 2004 European junior championships, he reported to general manager R.C. Buford that he had just seen the player the Spurs needed to target for the 2005 NBA draft: Ian Mahinmi.

On Tuesday night the Spurs hit their bull's-eye.

Sticking with one element of the formula that has produced two NBA championships in the past three seasons, the Spurs used the 28th pick to select a foreign-born player virtually nobody in South Texas had heard of, save for the team's basketball talent evaluators.

This year's shocker: Mahinmi, an 18-year-old, 6-foot-10, 230-pound power forward from Rouen, France, who nearly took his name out of the draft less than two weeks ago.

"Last year Sam Presti came back from the European junior tournament in Zaragosa and said, 'I've got our next guy that I really want us to focus on,'" Buford said. "Sam doesn't come that strong very often, so it made an impact. Between myself and Danny (Ferry, the director of basketball operations) and Sam we spent enough time over there this year we felt very comfortable evaluating the growth curve."

Mahinmi, who played the past two seasons for STB LeHavre, of the French professional league, is an explosive player whose skills remain raw. But he is only 18 and just graduated from high school, and the Spurs evaluated him as such.

The Spurs have the luxury of allowing Mahinmi to continue to develop his game, and Buford said they hope to work with Mahinmi and his team in LeHavre to have him remain in the French League for one or two more seasons.

"This is a young athlete," Buford said. "As we evaluated the draft I don't think you ever see a great deal of size that deep in the draft, especially that combines athleticism. Over the course of the last year he made significant progress. We'll evaluate the situation as we go forward, but we think it's best that he stays there in Le Havre.

"They've done a great job developing him to date, and I can see him developing into a real focal point on a playoff team in the French first division."

What did Mahinmi do in Zaragosa to capture Presti's interest?

"I did a lot of activity, run a lot, bring a lot of rebounds and blocked shots and always tried to push my team up and give the maximum on the court," Mahinmi said in a telephone interview from the draft in New York. "I think that is why the Spurs liked me. I'm not sure, maybe because I gave a lot of energy on the court in Zaragosa and tried to do the best for my team; not play for me, but play for the team and maybe that is why they called their attention to me."

Buford agreed that what he called Mahinmi's intangibles— character, personality and team orientation — had greatly impressed the Spurs.

"It takes a special situation for Sam to get really focused in like that," Buford said.

Mahinmi's selection Tuesday night was even more of a surprise than the selection in 2001 of Tony Parker or the selection in 2004 of Beno Udrih. Parker had shown his skills in the Nike Hoop Summit before the 2001 draft. When Udrih was drafted he was 22 and already had played professionally for seven years for teams in Slovenia, Russia, Israel and Italy.

Mahinmi said playing in the NBA has been a goal from the first time he saw a game on television in France, even before he began playing.

"I think the moment when I start basketball it becomes a dream to play in the NBA," Mahinmi said. "I used to watch the NBA games before I begin playing, and I don't even know the French league or the European league, but I really, really watch the NBA when I was really young. So when I started basketball it was to be at one time an NBA player."

Now, Mahinmi has been selected by the NBA champions.

"I am so pleased, thrilled," Mahinmi said.

timvp
06-29-2005, 12:30 AM
Sweet. One thing you don't do is bet against Presti. He knows basketball.

:smokin

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 12:31 AM
Sam Presti is a genius.

CalsonicKansei
06-29-2005, 12:33 AM
I really hope this player is as good as I hope. Meaning like 35 year old Robinson.

TheTruth
06-29-2005, 12:37 AM
Sam Presti likes him??? SOLD!

TDMVPDPOY
06-29-2005, 12:40 AM
Lets just hope this investment pays off

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-29-2005, 01:01 AM
This was a pick that made me go "huh?" when we made it.

But if this is Sam Presti's latest wunderkind, I'm sold.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 01:05 AM
You can listen/watch RC Buford talk about him quite a bit on spurs.com.

Nikos
06-29-2005, 01:05 AM
Sam Presti is a genius.

I have heard the name before but why exactly is he a genuis?

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 01:14 AM
I have heard the name before but why exactly is he a genuis?

Presti is 28 years old. Five years ago he was an intern for the Spurs making $250 per week. Now he's director of Player Personnel and right hand man to RC. He was the one who brought the tape of Tony Parker to RC and Pop and made them seriously look at him. He played a huge part in the Spurs drafting Scola, Beno and just about every once else in the last few years. He's touted as Scouting Genius and digs up players from all over the world. Some people refer to him as the "NBA's Indiana Jones" because he'll go to any length and into any situation to scout/recruit players.

Nikos
06-29-2005, 01:15 AM
Awesome. I also read somewhere that he had his own statistical methods for evaluating players.

Who was the one who chose Manu and Scola? Was that all RC's part? What convinced them to keep Manu over Giricek? Who was the one behind that?

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 01:17 AM
Who was the one who chose Manu and Scola? Was that all RC's part? What convinced them to keep Manu over Giricek? Who was the one behind that?

I believe that RC and Presti both got Scola. I believe both RC and Pop were the ones that were high on Manu.

timvp
06-29-2005, 01:22 AM
You can listen/watch RC Buford talk about him quite a bit on spurs.com.

Yes, the audio is a must listen. He all but admits that the Spurs pulled another CIA move on the league. No doubt the Spurs promised this guy a spot in the first round and other teams hadn't done their homework enough to figure him out after he left his name in the draft.

Nikos
06-29-2005, 01:22 AM
I believe that RC and Presti both got Scola. I believe both RC and Pop were the ones that were high on Manu.

Didn't Pop want Giricek initially?

timvp
06-29-2005, 01:24 AM
Didn't Pop want Giricek initially?

Everyone did. Ginobili took time to learn defense and reign in his wild game. Ginobili was a project that worked out.

Pretty much the same thing applies to this big frenchman they drafted.

Nikos
06-29-2005, 01:35 AM
So why did they not keep Giricek, I forget? Forgive me.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 01:56 AM
Mahinmi Video Clip

http://www.premiumwanadoo.com/stb.com/videos/2005-STB-PBR-mahinmi.mpg

timvp
06-29-2005, 02:03 AM
Mahinmi Video Clip

http://www.premiumwanadoo.com/stb.com/videos/2005-STB-PBR-mahinmi.mpg

You might want to sit down before you click on that link.

whottt
06-29-2005, 02:09 AM
Holy crap..

whottt
06-29-2005, 02:10 AM
Either they have 9 foot rims in France or that dude's arms belong on Manute Bol...

slayermin
06-29-2005, 02:11 AM
Oh lord, it's like waiting for fruit to grow on a tree. I want to see him play for us next season.

whottt
06-29-2005, 02:12 AM
The little dude in blue looks like a future Suns draft pick...Nice D.

TMSKILZ
06-29-2005, 02:15 AM
Wasn't all that impressed with the clip, hopefully the kid grows & develops like Manu, TP & Scola have overseas.

whottt
06-29-2005, 02:16 AM
What would impress you? Dunking over the backboard?

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
06-29-2005, 02:32 AM
Presti is 28 years old. Five years ago he was an intern for the Spurs making $250 per week. Now he's director of Player Personnel and right hand man to RC. He was the one who brought the tape of Tony Parker to RC and Pop and made them seriously look at him. He played a huge part in the Spurs drafting Scola, Beno and just about every once else in the last few years. He's touted as Scouting Genius and digs up players from all over the world. Some people refer to him as the "NBA's Indiana Jones" because he'll go to any length and into any situation to scout/recruit players.

Wow, hopefully the spurs can keep him, its just a matter of time before another team figures it out, and offers him huge $ and a better position.

caspian
06-29-2005, 02:53 AM
Good gravy!

Nbadan
06-29-2005, 02:53 AM

I've been impressed with Presti's overall record for spotting talent, but he has had some misses in recent years that seemed to be pretty cut-and-dry potential in my days of scouting for the Spurs Dominion. Taking bigs in the draft is always a risk, even those that already have a rep coming into the league.

timvp
06-29-2005, 03:03 AM
Wasn't all that impressed with the clip, hopefully the kid grows & develops like Manu, TP & Scola have overseas.

Well considering you've called it a wasted pick twice on the forum, you couldn't have liked the video.

I'm not saying it's the best dunk ever but it's at least impressive.

timvp
06-29-2005, 03:05 AM
I've been impressed with Presti's overall record for spotting talent, but he has had some misses in recent years that seemed to be pretty cut-and-dry potential in my days of scouting for the Spurs Dominion. Taking bigs in the draft is always a risk, even those that already have a rep coming into the league.

Sato was a miss but that was a Lance Blanks pick. There haven't been many other misses.

baseline bum
06-29-2005, 03:07 AM
I'm happy the Spurs got their man. I felt the same in 2001. I knew Parker was their man. Of course, I had my doubts about a French point guard, especially one so small, but I felt good knowing they got the guy I kept hearing so much about them wanting in the days leading up to the draft.

baseline bum
06-29-2005, 03:08 AM
Was Presti the one responsible for the Ferry for Turkoglu trade in the 3-way with Sacramento? Even though Hedo was a bust in the playoffs, that was still an incredible steal ofr a guy who retired anyways.

timvp
06-29-2005, 03:09 AM
Was Presti the one responsible for the Ferry for Turkoglu trade in the 3-way with Sacramento? Even though Hedo was a bust in the playoffs, that was still an incredible steal ofr a guy who retired anyways.

Yes Presti was one the one who came up with the trade.

AI-square
06-29-2005, 03:11 AM
What would impress you? Dunking over the backboard?
:lol That wouldn't impress the guys in the A&E department at the hospital.

It's like, before Game 7 everyone was saying how Duncan wasn't aggressive enough. If Mahinmi can bring that type of aggression, strength and athleticism with him into the NBA, the Spurs are going to be a frightening prospect.

timvp
06-29-2005, 03:15 AM
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/yvonbussy/stbphotos/stbpau/12.JPG

Looks like he'd be a good candidate for the opening jump ball.

baseline bum
06-29-2005, 03:17 AM
How much do they pay this guy? For the success he's had I'm hoping it's a very high 6-figure salary or we're gonna lose him.

AI-square
06-29-2005, 03:18 AM

Looks like he'd be a good candidate for the opening jump ball.

:wow This guy is a freak!!!

polandprzem
06-29-2005, 03:35 AM
If he has got a guarantee contract with the spurs how can he play in Europe?

Nbadan
06-29-2005, 03:40 AM
Sato was a miss but that was a Lance Blanks pick. There haven't been many other misses.

I don't know. I think going with a league rookie as your primary back-up PG is really risky, even though Beno had a well-established rep in the foreign leagues coming in, were it not for Barry and Manu stepping up to bring the ball up the court in the playoffs, this move almost came back to haunt the Spurs. I would have liked it if the Spurs had shown Speedy Claxton a little love when they had the chance, but that's all water under the bridge now.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 03:49 AM
I don't know. I think going with a league rookie as your primary back-up PG is really risky, even though Beno had a well-established rep in the foreign leagues coming in, were it not for Barry and Manu stepping up to bring the ball up the court in the playoffs, this move almost came back to haunt the Spurs. I would have liked it if the Spurs had shown Speedy Claxton a little love when they had the chance, but that's all water under the bridge now.

Beno didn't have that good of a rep. He was touted as injury-prone and every report on him before he was drafted said he had trouble with the press. So expecting him to be able to play well against guys like Billups and Hunter was definitely overestimating him at this point in his career.

It's okay that the Spurs had to play Barry and Manu at some backup point. When Barry came here it was always the plan for him to get minutes at the backup point. But Beno played much better than expected in the beginning of the season, so we didn't see a lot of that in the regular season.

As for Speedy -- you are right, it's water under the bridge -- he wanted an opportunity to start.

Nbadan
06-29-2005, 04:49 AM
As for Speedy -- you are right, it's water under the bridge -- he wanted an opportunity to start.

By a well-established rep I meant that the Spurs knew what they were getting in Beno coming in, not that his game was flawless. Sorry for the confusion.

Claxton meanwhile had limited success starting for GS, but maybe now he will finally get his chance to start full-time with the Hornets - that's if he can stay healthy for a whole season. Would have loved to hang onto him for at least one more season though, which the Spurs had every opportunity to do. All they had to do was pick up a lousy million dollar per option if I remember correctly.

caspian
06-29-2005, 04:51 AM
It's okay that the Spurs had to play Barry and Manu at some backup point. When Barry came here it was always the plan for him to get minutes at the backup point. But Beno played much better than expected in the beginning of the season, so we didn't see a lot of that in the regular season.

I love it when Manu plays point.

Nbadan
06-29-2005, 04:58 AM
I love it when Manu plays point.

Better than Beno, but I'd rather have Manu and fresh legs at SG.

DesiSpur_21
06-29-2005, 05:05 AM

Hey Kori, Can you recommend my name to RC and Pop :lol ? I'm 30 and have a great job but ready to intern under RC (for any asian assignment) ?

caspian
06-29-2005, 05:22 AM
Better than Beno, but I'd rather have Manu and fresh legs at SG.

I'd say Manu was fine for Q4 in G7.

rascal
06-29-2005, 05:37 AM
Drafting at 28 its smart to take a chance on a player outside the United States. The spurs weren't going to get anyone very good at 28 from the US because all those players have been highly scouted already so take a shot on an unknown project with potential.

Gino2882
06-29-2005, 07:45 AM
Ian has extremely thin legs. I think the biggest thing is for him to gain weight and work on a jump shot.

He has no place on this team if he cant hit an open jumper from 16.

WalterBenitez
06-29-2005, 09:49 AM

That guy looks a key member of Spurs organization; only $250 per week, RC should give him a bigger salary!!!

spurster
06-29-2005, 09:52 AM
If the Spurs are going to leave Mahinmi in Europe for at least a season or two, then he qualifies as a project. No, that's not a bad thing, but a little surprising for a 1st round pick. I would guess at the following reasons.

1. The Spurs did not think anyone available would help them right away.

2. No one wanted to help the Spurs with any kind of trade up or trade down, having been burned before (Claxton, Nazr).

3. With the new CBA, 1st round picks are only guaranteed 2 years instead of 3. This closes the distance between 1st rounders and 2nd rounders.

4. With no 2nd round picks and no 1st round pick next year (don't know about 2nd round next year), the Spurs wanted to put this pick to good use.

5. The Manu-Scola theory of picks is that if you draft enough international 2nd rounders, letting them develop in Europe, you will probably find a few that are good enough. This year's draft pick follows the same reasoning, though it will cost the Spurs 1st round money this time. But if you average it out over all their 2nd round picks, given the success they've had, it's a reasonable cost.

Duff McCartney
06-29-2005, 10:16 AM
Claxton meanwhile had limited success starting for GS, but maybe now he will finally get his chance to start full-time with the Hornets - that's if he can stay healthy for a whole season.

Shit, not with Chris Paul there. He won't start.

SWC Bonfire
06-29-2005, 10:21 AM
Ian has extremely thin legs. I think the biggest thing is for him to gain weight and work on a jump shot.

The last BB player I knew personally with legs that skinny broke his femur in a game. A very dangerous injury which probably destroyed his future basketball hopes. Hopefully this guy is just so skinny because he's still growing, didn't David grow several inches more when he was at the Academy?

mattyc
06-29-2005, 10:27 AM
Sam Presti deserves a medal, fair dinkum. Awesome basketball brain.

Tobias
06-29-2005, 12:07 PM

Are yu Gelabale's agent or something? Christ. You spew such resentment for this kid that's years away from his first nba game.

Did you forget what happend a week ago? We won a champoinship, we can afford a project. Our franchise needs no "saving".

Gino2882
06-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Well Yes, obviously this team needs no savior but this Ian kid is gonna stuck in Europe for 4 years. MAYBE he becomes a good player but the odds are greatly against him IMO.

Mickael Gelabale could have come in and been a role players for the 2005 Spurs and been the replacement to Bowen.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Mickael Gelabale could have come in and been a role players for the 2005 Spurs and been the replacement to Bowen.

Gelabale is not going to be ready for the NBA for another few seasons. The odds are against Ian, but they are against Gelabale and most other young prospects too.

Solid D
06-29-2005, 12:17 PM

If a guy can stand 7-8 feet away from the basket and then reach over and throw it down, does that give him a decent mid-range game? :hat

ChumpDumper
06-29-2005, 03:19 PM
He has no place on this team if he cant hit an open jumper from 16.http://www.nba.com/media/knicks/nazr_040218.jpg

I can almost guarantee this shot didn't go in.

spvrs
06-29-2005, 03:21 PM
I saw that shot... it went in. he was about 2 feet back from the top of the key...
*swish*

SWC Bonfire
06-29-2005, 03:23 PM
Maybe he was shooting off to his right...:lol

Horry For 3!
06-29-2005, 05:22 PM
Damn, Ian can dunk like a mad man and he has major ups. Long ass arms. They were talking about that, that he could block shots and grab rebounds that no one could imagine. Now I can see why, he is very lengthy.

IcemanCometh
06-29-2005, 11:45 PM
he has good mobility for a big man and crazy ups

whottt
06-29-2005, 11:55 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/knicks/nazr_040218.jpg

I can almost guarantee this shot didn't go in.

But can you gurantee no one was injured(and yes the rim counts)?

TDMVPDPOY
06-30-2005, 12:41 AM
Whats his vertical leap?

younger version atheletic type of drob?