PDA

View Full Version : Man vs. Food

cantthinkofanything
12-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Anyone watch this show? I actually like it. Not just for the final challenge but also to check out the different types of food.
But I'm wondering about some of the choices. For San Antonio, he went to:

Lulu's Bakery
Big Lou's Pizza
Chunky's Burgers

Are these legit San Antonio restaurants that one has to try if they visit?

Drachen
12-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Lulu's? Yes. The others? I would say that they are on there ONLY because they have a challenge food.

cantthinkofanything
12-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Lulu's? Yes. The others? I would say that they are on there ONLY because they have a challenge food.

I can see that for one of the restaurants. But usually, the first two featured are home town local favorites with at least one of them having something identifiable with the city.

mrsmaalox
12-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Never heard of Chunky's. Been to BigLou's and it was okay if you have 4 hours to spare for a very large, slightly better than average pizza. Been to Lulu's also and it is decent diner food, if the grease isn't too old. That giant cinnamon roll is just big, pretty dry with minimal flavor. What stands out about that place is the filthy conditions, sticky floor, sticky seats, crusty ketchup bottles, layers of dead insects on the window sills, and gray fur on every light fixture and vent. Mmmmm :lol

Drachen
12-10-2012, 02:35 PM
I can see that for one of the restaurants. But usually, the first two featured are home town local favorites with at least one of them having something identifiable with the city.

I had never heard of chunky's until someone mentioned it a few years ago and we went with work. It wasn't very good. I would rate chesters better for a local burger joint (not saying it is the best, just better). I haven't heard about it since other than the man v food thing. it is not some hometown pride. I have heard a little more about big lou's but only recently. Little Hips would have been a better one, but they closed/reopened under another name. So I guess that lack of continuity disqualified them.

Drachen
12-10-2012, 02:37 PM
earl ables, Good time Charlies, Don Pedro, Bud Jones.

Shit, the Pig Stand should have been top of the list. It is the inventor of the drive through.

ColinB
12-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Only been to Big Lou's. Pizza is average, aside from the size of it. Always crowded.

Never heard of the others.

cantthinkofanything
12-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Shit the Pig Stand

That's a terrible name for a restaurant.

Drachen
12-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Never heard of Chunky's. Been to BigLou's and it was okay if you have 4 hours to spare for a very large, slightly better than average pizza. Been to Lulu's also and it is decent diner food, if the grease isn't too old. That giant cinnamon roll is just big, pretty dry with minimal flavor. What stands out about that place is the filthy conditions, sticky floor, sticky seats, crusty ketchup bottles, layers of dead insects on the window sills, and gray fur on every light fixture and vent. Mmmmm :lol

I haven't been in a while, but the cinnamon rolls were good the last time I went (over a decade ago). Also, I heard that they used to give a free meal to anyone who had the paperwork to prove that they had been in the pokey for a month or more.

Drachen
12-10-2012, 02:44 PM
That's a terrible name for a restaurant.

punctuation matters

Medvedenko
12-10-2012, 04:53 PM
The show is retarded as is all other food shows. It glorifies gluttony and is quite sad really.

cantthinkofanything
12-10-2012, 04:54 PM
The show is retarded as is all other food shows. It glorifies gluttony and is quite sad really.

you're retarded and you're a butt glutton!

baseline bum
12-10-2012, 04:55 PM

It's kind of funny seeing how much of a fat fuck the guy became. LOL cutting your life short 15 years for a fucking TV show.

Fat boy
12-10-2012, 06:00 PM
More proof of the pussification of the male species in the USA. Real men eat.

CubanMustGo
12-10-2012, 06:57 PM
The only Pig Stand left is the one under the expressway on Broadway, right?

Drachen
12-10-2012, 09:37 PM
The only Pig Stand left is the one under the expressway on Broadway, right?
so far as I know.

The Reckoning
12-10-2012, 10:21 PM
we need more shows like bourdain and less shows like this tbh