PDA

View Full Version : New regular ESPN podcast with Bruce Bowen

objective
12-10-2012, 03:55 PM
NBA Lockdown with Bruce Bowen (http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/archive?id=3634017)

This is the replacement for the NBA Today podcast which only had one or two shows this season, and was terrible in it's Lakers & Heat focus. For example, when discussing the Clippers in their season preview show, the hosts turned it into an opportunity to talk about how great Eric Bledsoe would be on the Lakers. Regardless, the show was best with Ryen Rusillo hosting, but he's been promoted within ESPN and doesn't have to slum with NBA podcasts.

Unfortunately, I find Bruce to be terrible as an analyst, just as bad as Jalen Rose. Just a bunch of cliches and conventional wisdom.

I haven't listened to this new podcast yet though, so hopefully it's better than my expectations.

k_nguyen93
12-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Just listened to it. He's definitely not as good as Ryen Russillo but entertaining to hear some of his stories from playing. The only time I think he talked about the Spurs was at the very end where he recalled a really bad joke Tim Duncan told him at the free throw line so he think about that and not the free throw :lol

jestersmash
12-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Russillo isn't hosting NBA Today anymore? What a shame. He's one of the few ESPN analysts I respect.

Josh810
12-11-2012, 09:06 PM
I also checked it out. I found his insight on the whole "hack-a-player" strategy pretty interesting. And his story regarding players talking trash at the line was pretty funny. For those that haven't heard it:

During the 2003 season when Don Nelson was employing the "Hack-a-Bowen" strategy, Walt Williams starting talking to Bruce, saying "uh ohh, you're going to the line, I know you don't wanna be there"...Bruce fired back with: "At least I'm in the game for my talent...you only came into the game to foul me!" :lol He said Walt was quiet the next time he went to the line.

cd021
12-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Russillo isn't hosting NBA Today anymore? What a shame. He's one of the few ESPN analysts I respect.

No. He was awesome, I miss the random rap quotes, Wizards daily, and "bad trade idea's you deep down you sort of kind of like". He's still on Scott Van Pelt show.

superbigtime
12-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Bruce comes off as a knowledge-less dork.