PDA

View Full Version : As ugly as that was at times . . .

timvp
12-10-2012, 10:43 PM
. . . those are the type of mettle-builders you need in the regular season. The Rockets were hitting everything. Jeremy Lin was Linsanity on steroids. The Spurs defense was a step slow; their offense was discombobulated most of the night. But instead of folding and succumbing to Houston's momentum, the Spurs just methodically kept charging back and charging back.

Subpar defense combined with unbelievable shooting by the Rockets. Offensive rhythm was herky-jerky all night.

Yet still pull out a gutsy win.

Ugly yet necessary.

AussieFanKurt
12-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Neal 35 mins, no rebounds or assists :lol

He played very well though

At least watching the game gave me something to do, pretty poor showing on D

freetiago
12-10-2012, 10:45 PM
unnecessary tbh
blair was terrible
responsible for asik going off and the horrible pick and roll defense which led to the 3s

splitter is a houston killer and he only gets 18 mins 10/5 on efficient scoring and good defense

Paranoid Pop
12-10-2012, 10:46 PM
So Miami winning vs our scrubs was a great game for them as well or are the spurs the only ones that can have moral victories :king?

mando6599
12-10-2012, 10:46 PM
So much for that vaunted defense, timvp! Yuck!

BillMc
12-10-2012, 10:47 PM
Only caught overtime. Timmy was 1 for 9. Was it just a bad shooting night or did he look like his knee was hurting him?

timtonymanu
12-10-2012, 10:48 PM
So Miami winning vs our scrubs was a great game for them as well or are the spurs the only ones that can have moral victories :king?

Different scenarios. If Lin, Asik, and Parsons had sat as well, then yeah.

jon123spurs
12-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Even though the rockets were shooting lights out. We got the stops where we needed them. Defense when it counts is better than no defense at all.

AussieFanKurt
12-10-2012, 10:50 PM
MORAL VICTORY!

BillMc
12-10-2012, 10:51 PM
MORAL VICTORY!

I want some amoral victories. When's Jack back?

racm
12-10-2012, 10:55 PM
This was the type of game Pop would have white-flagged last season. Good thing he trusts in the defense this season enough to know the Spurs can generate stops when they need them the most.

timvp
12-10-2012, 10:59 PM
MORAL VICTORY!

Spurs fans were claiming it a moral defeat at halftime so I guess I'll take a moral defeat victory victory.

Paranoid Pop
12-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Just busting your balls timvp btw, def a good win.

Cry Havoc
12-10-2012, 11:00 PM
So much for that vaunted defense, timvp! Yuck!

Yeah, I mean, when the other team shoots 60%+ from 3 in the first half it's just that our defense is sucking.

freetiago
12-10-2012, 11:02 PM
Only caught overtime. Timmy was 1 for 9. Was it just a bad shooting night or did he look like his knee was hurting him?

asik is the only player ive seen who actually goes outside to contests mid range jumpers
so duncan was missing a lot
he also got fouled in the low block a few times and had no calls or turnovers

SequSpur
12-10-2012, 11:04 PM

that's like buying a lottery card and winning rather than scratching the shit out of it and losing, only to tear up the card and taking it to the trash right? WTF? Dude fucking went off tonight....

Your boy nandeputo and boner, constantly get minutes with not stats and play like shit....uh for years....not just a game or two but always...

DMC
12-10-2012, 11:09 PM

Neal wasn't hired to rebound and assist. He was hired for one reason only: to shoot the ball. Neal plays like a professional merc. He's brutally honest in his shooting, he doesn't pretend he's anything other than a hired gun.

racm
12-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Neals 2 rpg and 2 apg are a bonus, tbh...

AussieFanKurt
12-10-2012, 11:13 PM
I was just having a laugh, wasn't critisising, did what he was supposed to

SequSpur
12-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Neal wasn't hired to rebound and assist. He was hired for one reason only: to shoot the ball. Neal plays like a professional merc. He's brutally honest in his shooting, he doesn't pretend he's anything other than a hired gun.

exactly.

Seventyniner
12-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Way to screw around for 8 minutes of every quarter and win anyway, guys.

TampaDude
12-10-2012, 11:27 PM
No KL

No Jack

No problem!

HI-FI
12-11-2012, 12:13 AM
sure was ugly. I switched off between this and the MNF game, but figured i'd rather watch Spurs, but wasn't easy. Almost felt like a hangover game, or maybe their hearts weren't in it, but towards crunch time, you got this feeling they couldn't games like this slip away so they took care of business. Not trying to be a homer but it's amazing this team can flip that switch, majority of teams can't do that.

Solid D
12-11-2012, 12:55 AM
Highly entertaining game despite its rough edges. Some great individual defensive plays in key moments for both teams. Lin, Delfino, Douglas, Parsons and Asik with big plays and clutch shots. Douglas did a real nice job of pressuring Parker & whoever was entering the offense. I was impressed with Douglas' overall play including his five 3s. Lin was a phenom. Gary Neal's conscience, as he told NBAtv, was nowhere to be seen.

This game had a bit of everything. It reminded me of the Spurs v. Heat game. The difference in an L and a W? The 4 players missing at the end in Miami...were there when the Spurs needed them the most, in Houston. Just as Miami's star players dug down to pull the game out after getting down ..the Spurs' key guys scratched back from down-9 in the last qtr and finished strong FTW. I loved watching this game!

crc21209
12-11-2012, 01:17 AM
Once the Spurs got down 9 in the 4th and Lin was going nuts, I thought it might be over. But damn if there's one thing this team has in them it's FIGHT. The Spurs don't ever seem to get TOO high or TOO low in a game, they just play. They never looked panicked in that 4th when they were down. While it was a stressful game to watch as a fan, it was also a really fun game to watch....

Cry Havoc
12-11-2012, 02:13 AM
It's really strange to see people get frustrated when we get a tough win on the road vs. a team with nothing to lose who shot lights out all f-in' game. Teams get hot and there are about 27 other teams in the league that would have lost by double digits to the Rockets tonight.

Fireball
12-11-2012, 03:06 AM
It's really strange to see people get frustrated when we get a tough win on the road vs. a team with nothing to lose who shot lights out all f-in' game. Teams get hot and there are about 27 other teams in the league that would have lost by double digits to the Rockets tonight.

Absolutely right and I never lost faith that we could win this game, but I do not think the Spurs survive such s sluggish game when they play in Utah next ...

Cry Havoc
12-11-2012, 04:35 AM
Absolutely right and I never lost faith that we could win this game, but I do not think the Spurs survive such s sluggish game when they play in Utah next ...

Utah ain't gonna shoot 60% from three. Ever.

racm
12-11-2012, 04:36 AM

The only time the Spurs have lost in Utah was when the Big 3 all sat out (and it took two fluky Devin Harris 3s).

Still... one of the best home teams against the best road team in the league.

Fireball
12-11-2012, 05:40 AM
Utah ain't gonna shoot 60% from three. Ever.

Yeah, but Utah has quality big men and a much better crowd. The Spurs will need some energy to fight that ... and a game in Portland is looming the following night.

Mel_13
12-11-2012, 06:05 AM
Yeah, but Utah has quality big men and a much better crowd. The Spurs will need some energy to fight that ... and a game in Portland is looming the following night.

Restgate part 2 looming in Portland.

silverblackfan
12-11-2012, 06:49 AM
Good gritty game, but the guys allowed Houston to stick around until overtime. Houston was shooting great, but could have been challenged more. Felt like they felt bad winning on McHales return after his loss.
I expect the Spurs to not overlook Utah, pull out a solid win and then let the big 3 watch the bench handle Portland on Thursday.

100%duncan
12-11-2012, 07:53 AM

Precise as hell.

exstatic
12-11-2012, 08:00 AM

Minus sending anyone home. I agree.

Solid D
12-11-2012, 08:25 AM

exstatic! Wow, welcome back. You have been greatly missed!!! It is awesome to see you back.

exstatic
12-11-2012, 08:32 AM
exstatic! Wow, welcome back. You have been greatly missed!!! It is awesome to see you back.
thx :)

Seventyniner
12-11-2012, 09:33 AM

I bet Pop invents a minor injury for either Tim or Manu (so that the inactives are that player, Kawhi, and Jax, allowing the rest of the team to play), and starts the other two of the big 3, pulling them for good at the first timeout.

I would love Pop to call that timeout himself in the first minute.

exstatic
12-11-2012, 09:37 AM
I bet Pop invents a minor injury for either Tim or Manu (so that the inactives are that player, Kawhi, and Jax, allowing the rest of the team to play), and starts the other two of the big 3, pulling them for good at the first timeout.

I would love Pop to call that timeout himself in the first minute.
I don't think he'll go through those gyrations. It was pretty clear that what set Stern off, and allowed the fine, was sending them all home. If he has them all on the bench in sports coats, the league can't say shit.

wildbill2u
12-11-2012, 10:00 AM

I have no idea why, but I'm also glad to see an old time Spur Talker back. (liked your old avatar better though.)

temujin
12-11-2012, 10:16 AM
As one of my former teammates used to say about playing an irrelevant game in an unpleasant location,
"I can already feel now some flu-like symptons that will be very nasty and apparent on Wednesday night."

Obstructed_View
12-11-2012, 10:54 AM
ACTUAL VICTORY!

Counts as a W tbh.

Blake
12-11-2012, 11:10 AM

a 2012 version of Vinnie Microwave.

benefactor
12-11-2012, 12:46 PM
What's up man? Wondered several times if you even still alive. Never can tell when people go MIA for so long.

exstatic
12-11-2012, 10:24 PM
I have no idea why, but I'm also glad to see an old time Spur Talker back. (liked your old avatar better though.)

It's on my profile page, but here's a new one of Muad'dib. :)

WildcardManu
12-11-2012, 10:29 PM

Signature worthy.

TampaDude
12-11-2012, 10:40 PM
As one of my former teammates used to say about playing an irrelevant game in an unpleasant location,
"I can already feel now some flu-like symptons that will be very nasty and apparent on Wednesday night."

^ this

Methinks Timmy, Tony, and Manu are going to come down with some "flu-like symptoms" on their flight to Portland. :p:

Man In Black
12-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Since James Harden didn't play, the Spurs actually had to defend more. Houston played hero ball when Sampson was coach. They were easier to defend. That's why this game was way different than the last time.