PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Lakers 4th quarter points allowed in their most recent losses.

midnightpulp
12-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Against:

Magic: 40
Rockets: 34
OKC: 25
Jazz: 29
Cavs: 32

One thing that would piss me off if I was a Lakers fans is hearing all these analysts, and even coach D'Antoni himself, say it's about "effort" and "desire" to run back and gets stops late in the game. The primary reason the Lakers are getting obliterated in the 4th quarter is because they are old, slow, unathletic, and don't have the depth to spell their starters for any significant amount of time.

Not once watching one of these Time Warner post-games have I heard any of these so-called "analysts" (even James Worthy, who I very much like and respect), state the obvious.

It's not about "effort" "desire" "figuring it out," the Lakers simply don't have the horses to defend for 48 minutes in an uptempo game.

Nono will probably scoff, but firing Brown was a mistake. Oddly enough, the Princeton offense was probably the correct system for this slow-footed roster, and the only hope the Lakers have of beating good teams is to grind out wins in the half-court. Keep possessions low and the score under 100. Now that D'Antoni is on the sidelines, there's no chance of that happening.

ElNono
12-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Nono will probably scoff, but firing Brown was a mistake. Oddly enough, the Princeton offense was probably the correct system for this slow-footed roster, and the only hope the Lakers have of beating good teams is to grind out wins in the half-court. Keep possessions low and the score under 100. Now that D'Antoni is on the sidelines, there's no chance of that happening.

I'll scoff at the notion that no-authority coaches could right this ship... that's why it was Phil or bust... and still is. D'Antoni even went as far as badmouth Gasol and basically quit on him, and now we see how, even if playing half-assed, Gasol is a key piece out there, because Howard is monkeyballing or shit.

midnightpulp
12-11-2012, 10:17 PM
I'll scoff at the notion that no-authority coaches could right this ship... that's why it was Phil or bust... and still is. D'Antoni even went as far as badmouth Gasol and basically quit on him, and now we see how, even if playing half-assed, Gasol is a key piece out there, because Howard is monkeyballing or shit.

Don't get me wrong, I doubt Brown, with his supplicant attitude, could right this ship, but at least his system made sense for this roster. D'Antoni is trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Cue the Timberwolves. Time to bail out the Lakers with a Love plus all their perimeter youth for Gasol and Artest trade.

Baseline
12-11-2012, 10:20 PM
What exactly is the "D'Antoni system"...have Bryant shoot it every trip down the floor?

DMC
12-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Steve Nash is Neo, MWP is Cypher:

Cypher: "did he tell you why you're here? to save the world?"

Neo: "nods"

Cypher:, "jeeee sus... what a mind job"

DAF86
12-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Princenton isn't the answer, slow pace is. They can have a good half court offense with simple post ups, isos and pick and rolls, you know, things that actually fit the players' talent.

And then they lack a good defensive system, everybody is doing what they feel like doing instead of following certain patterns that allows them to do things that work without having to think so much.

jimbo
12-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Can the Lakers not hire someone specifically to run their D? I don't understand why you don't have an offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator in basketball. It really feels like basketball is missing a lot of the innovation you see in football. I'd love to see a Chip Kelly like figure in the NBA, he'd tear it up.

DMC
12-11-2012, 11:09 PM
Princenton isn't the answer, slow pace is. They can have a good half court offense with simple post ups, isos and pick and rolls, you know, things that actually fit the players' talent.

And then they lack a good defensive system, everybody is doing what they feel like doing instead of following certain patterns that allows them to do things that work without having to think so much.

No.

You cannot run a slow pace game just to be running a slow pace game. They need a post up player if they want to grind it out. Taking more time to brick a 3 isn't going to do anything for anyone, just keep the score lower and more turnovers from more ball movement that's basically worthless since it doesn't improve their position. Pau needs to play near the top of the key, set picks and run the screen and roll with Howard. Nash would be key in starting that. Any miss would be rebounded by one of the two Lakers bigs.

They have too much size to be a jumpshooting team. Players cannot coach themselves and run their own plays. They have to have a coach that knows defense. Mike D needs to hire Mike Brown. Hell he's on the payroll already.

DAF86
12-11-2012, 11:30 PM
No.

You cannot run a slow pace game just to be running a slow pace game. They need a post up player if they want to grind it out. Taking more time to brick a 3 isn't going to do anything for anyone, just keep the score lower and more turnovers from more ball movement that's basically worthless since it doesn't improve their position. Pau needs to play near the top of the key, set picks and run the screen and roll with Howard. Nash would be key in starting that. Any miss would be rebounded by one of the two Lakers bigs.

They have too much size to be a jumpshooting team. Players cannot coach themselves and run their own plays. They have to have a coach that knows defense. Mike D needs to hire Mike Brown. Hell he's on the payroll already.

By slow pace I meant a slower pace than what they are playing right now, I agree that playing defense with the ball isn't the answer, when they have a break they need to take it. They just don't have to push or rush the pace to force a quick shot, they need to post up, play the pick and roll and find a good shot at the time it takes to find that good shot.

DMC
12-11-2012, 11:35 PM
By slow pace I meant a slower pace than what they are playing right now, I agree that playing defense with the ball isn't the answer, when they have a break they need to take it. They just don't have to push or rush the pace to force a quick shot, they need to post up, play the pick and roll and find a good shot at the time it takes to find that good shot.

They cannot play at a slower pace just because they decide to. Their coach doesn't play slow. He's a 7 second offense guy. Outside of that he's no better than Lawrence Frank, probably not as good.

DAF86
12-11-2012, 11:42 PM
I don't care who their fucking coach is, I'm saying how they should play to improve. I already know that D'antoni is a horrible fit for them, that's why I'm sending mono to the tree of woe at the end of the first round (maybe sooner) this season.

midnightpulp
12-12-2012, 12:11 AM
I don't care who their fucking coach is, I'm saying how they should play to improve. I already know that D'antoni is a horrible fit for them, that's why I'm sending mono to the tree of woe at the end of the first round (maybe sooner) this season.

You better get your "I told you so's" in now, because I can guarantee the Lakers will move Gasol (and possibly Artest) in exchange for more compatible players. I hope to god it doesn't happen, but if the Lakers get Kevin Love, who is a superman version of Antwan Jamison (when Jamison plays well, the Lakers are actually a pretty good team. Kevin Love will bring that recent fluke 33 and 12 game Jamison had on the regular ), along with some decent filler to bolster their bench, the Lakers become an instant contender, provided they're not too far out of the playoff race by that point.

Some bullshit trade is coming, folks, so enjoy the Lakers' struggles while you can.

DAF86
12-12-2012, 12:19 AM
You better get your "I told you so's" in now, because I can guarantee the Lakers will move Gasol (and possibly Artest) in exchange for more compatible players. I hope to god it doesn't happen, but if the Lakers get Kevin Love, who is a superman version of Antwan Jamison (when Jamison plays well, the Lakers are actually a pretty good team. Kevin Love will bring that recent fluke 33 and 12 game Jamison had on the regular ), along with some decent filler to bolster their bench, the Lakers become an instant contender, provided they're not too far out of the playoff race by that point.

Some bullshit trade is coming, folks, so enjoy the Lakers' struggles while you can.

I know for sure they will make moves but that won't make me wrong tbh. It will just speed up my victory. Even if the Lakers trade for Lebron and make the finals and I have to stop posting for six months I would have still won.