PDA

View Full Version : Pat Buchanan: The Dem's Answer to Zell Miller!?

Joe Chalupa
09-07-2004, 04:05 PM
Has everyone been catching Pat Buchanon's various interviews while out promoting his new book, "Where the Right Went Wrong"?

However I've felt about the man in the past, I must say it's impressive to see his courage in speaking out against the direction his party has gone.

Here is the link to the transcript from "Meet the Press" on Sunday :

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5921259/ (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5921259/)

A teaser...

MR. PAT BUCHANAN: Certainly, Tim, I believe it is an unnecessary war; it is an unwise war. The United States, by invading that country and taking over its capital, we have inflamed the entire Middle East and Arab and Islamic world. American prestige and support for the president and the United States has never been lower in that part of the world. And Mr. Rumsfeld's question has been answered.

He asked, "Have we been creating more terrorists than we are killing?" When he said that, some 5,000 insurgents were said to be in Baghdad by General Abizaid. The latest count is 20,000. I believe this war itself is creating a pool, a spawning pool out of which Osama bin Laden can draw recruits. I think that there has been nothing that has done more to put Osama bin Laden, if you will, in the mainstream of the Arab cause of nationalism than what appears to the Arabs to be to be a near-imperial adventure by the United States in Iraq.

~~Some very good and valid points by Pat Buchanan.

Opinionater
09-07-2004, 05:32 PM
IMO, this is further proof that all "real" Republicans should be more upset with this President than any liberal could hope to be.

Tommy Duncan
09-07-2004, 06:12 PM
Buchanan's isolationist and protectionist views perhaps were "real" Republican views back in the late 1920s/early 1930s, but not today.

Opinionater
09-07-2004, 06:20 PM
IMO, you don't have to go back to the 20's and 30's to find republicans who share Buchanan's criticism of the current administration.

Please remember we are living in the year 2004...or as Bush would like you to believe, everyday is 9/11.

Tommy Duncan
09-07-2004, 06:42 PM
Sure. Buchanan represents a minority view in the party.

ididnotnothat
09-07-2004, 06:51 PM
Buchanan is a solid republican who just has a different view of the war.

He needs to jump abourd the "compassionate conservative" movement so we can kick some more Arab ass.

NeoConIV
09-08-2004, 12:45 AM
He can't be the Dem's answer to Zell for several reasons. One, he's a a staunch Roman Catholic and militantly pro-life...very problematic for dems. On the PBS Sunday political show (forget the name) he gave the Republicans strong marks at the convention, 'A+', and don't assume that because he is critical of the war in Iraq he is in support of Kerry. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I saw the Meet the Press interview and I thought Newt Gingrich shredded his arguement. You can make the arguement that the war was not necessary in the short term. I'm not interested in Band-Aids and short term fixes and thank God the president isn't either. This world needs solutions, freedom, democracy. What are the desired results of the Bush doctrine? What are the results of a Kerry foreign policy? Which is more attractive?

MR. GINGRICH: I believe it is unequivocally a necessary war. And I think what you just saw in the Chechen attack on Russians is a reminder of how absolutely right Senator John McCain was on Monday night to say, "The question is not war or peace. The question is war or something much worse." And let me just say, before we go to our two good friends, imagine a world in which Saddam Hussein was still trying to get weapons; imagine a world in which Saddam Hussein was still paying $25,000 per suicide bomber; imagine a world in which terrorists were still active, trying to organize themselves in Baghdad without this kind of counteroffensive. I think that would be a much more dangerous world than where we are now.

and...

MR. GINGRICH: Well, let me just go through--because several things shouldn't be left unchallenged. Senator Graham talks about Hamas and Hezbollah. The fact is, Saddam Hussein was paying $25,000 to the family of every Hamas and Hezbollah bomber. The fact is that Abu Nidal was a terrorist who was in Baghdad. The fact is Ansar al-Islam, which is a terrorist organization, was in Iraq. This is part of the war on terror.

Second, as you point out, General Tommy Franks apparently thought this was a very real part of the war on terror, because he spoke at the Republican convention endorsing the president.

Third, Pat Buchanan just described his own formula for creating precisely the failed state he talked about. We have a strategy under way. It's a strategy of creating an Iraqi interim government. It's a strategy of an Iraqi election. It is a strategy of building an Iraqi army. There is a new battalion being trained every two weeks by General Petraeus. They are coming on-line. You saw more and more impact by the Iraqis themselves defending their own country. When we stay and we have courage, as we did in South Korea, as we did in Germany, as we did in a number of countries, we eventually help people become democracies. When we cut and run because we lack the willingness to stand and be the great power we are and to stand with the people of the country, then, in fact, we leave them behind, and we leave them in agonizing situations, as we did in Somalia in 1993.

MR. GINGRICH: Tim, listen, can I just interject something here for a second because I think it's too easy to just chant al-Qaeda and ignore things. If we end up with a North Korea selling nuclear weapons to terrorists or we end up with an Iran giving nuclear weapons to terrorists or if Saddam's 12 laboratories, which we know existed now--we found all 12 of them--12

laboratories run by a secret police to develop biological weapons and been giving to terrorists, no one should underestimate why the president said "axis of evil" and how dangerous these three rogue states were, these three rogue dictatorships were if their weapons end up in terrorist hands.

There is a general strategy in what the president is doing. He announced it clearly in October of 2002 in a national security document. It is available to the public and we just have to tie together nuclear weapons in North Korea, nuclear weapons in Iran, the potential for nuclear, chemical and biological weapons in Iraq and the fact that they would clearly give these weapons to people who have said publicly they're prepared to kill million of Americans. That's a public statement.

In a nutshell, Pat & Leftists=backward looking quick fixes. Bush doctrine=forward looking permanent solutions.

MannyIsGod
09-08-2004, 04:20 AM
Pat fucking Robertson ???? God, you have to be kidding me?

NeoConIV
09-08-2004, 09:34 AM
Sometimes I worry about you Manny...

Joe Chalupa
09-08-2004, 09:58 AM
NeoCons worry me.

Yonivore
09-08-2004, 10:42 AM
Demoncrats worry me.

Hook Dem
09-08-2004, 11:15 AM
All the nut jobs in this forum is what bothers me!:elephant