PDA

View Full Version : parking first round picks overseas...

CosmicCowboy
06-29-2005, 08:42 AM
I don't understand the talk of leaving Ian Mahinmi in France for another year...RC even mentioned it in his video...did the rules change with the new CBA?...aren't all first round picks still guaranteed contracts in the year of selection?

sa_butta
06-29-2005, 08:47 AM
I don't understand the talk of leaving Ian Mahinmi in France for another year...RC even mentioned it in his video...did the rules change with the new CBA?...aren't all first round picks still guaranteed contracts in the year of selection?I thought the new CBA does not go into affect until next year??

boutons
06-29-2005, 09:03 AM
"new CBA"

.... is certainly NOT in effect now. Needs player approval in July, IIRC.

CosmicCowboy
06-29-2005, 09:18 AM
OK, the question wasn't whether the new CBA had been formally signed...

I just don't understand how the Spurs can leave a first round pick overseas...part of the player benefit of going in the first round has always been getting a guaranteed contract...all the players parked overseas in the past were second round picks where the Spurs had their rights but they didn't have guaranteed contracts...

To the best of my knowledge a first round pick HAS to be signed in the year of the draft...and once signed has to be on the roster...

1Parker1
06-29-2005, 09:36 AM
Actually, I was wondering about this. How come they didn't do that to Parker? He was a teenager when they drafted him and you would think they would have left him to develop a little more in the French league. Is it because they needed a PG immediately? I never really heard the story about Parker's draft and first year here...

spurster
06-29-2005, 09:40 AM
Nenad Krstic was 1st round draft pick by the Nets in 2002, but played Euroleague for two more years after that.

MannyIsGod
06-29-2005, 09:41 AM
Parker was a starter very shortly into the season here. There really was no need to leave him overseas as he was obviously ready to play at the age of 19 here.

I thought the same thing you did, CC. That because he was guarnteed money, he would not be able to be left overseas. He sill has a guarnteed contract, but he doesn't have to sign it this year. I think he knows the smart thing is going to be to give it a couple of years to develop his game, then come over and show us what he can do.

The kid is willing to do that with money waiting for him, and that makes me like him even more.

What I need clarification on, is whether or not he counts on the cap. Someone said yes as of yesterday, but that doesn't make much sense because there is no contract. I know the picks automaticaly count, but would that not stop considering his stay in europe is voluntary?

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 10:46 AM
Since he is a first round pick - yes, his NBA contract is guaranteed. But it doesn't begin until he is signed with the Spurs. So if the Spurs don't sign him until (for example) the 2007-08 season. Then his guaranteed NBA contract begins that season.

If the player is already under contract, or signs a contract with a foreign team, the NBA team retains the player's draft rights for one year after the player's obligation to the non-NBA team ends. Essentially, the clock stops as long as the player plays pro ball outside the NBA.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 10:48 AM
What I need clarification on, is whether or not he counts on the cap. Someone said yes as of yesterday, but that doesn't make much sense because there is no contract. I know the picks automaticaly count, but would that not stop considering his stay in europe is voluntary?

I believe he does count against the cap because all picks do. But whether he does or he doesn't, it really doesn't matter. The Spurs are over the cap for the forseeable future anyway.

FromWayDowntown
06-29-2005, 11:02 AM
Nenad Krstic was 1st round draft pick by the Nets in 2002, but played Euroleague for two more years after that.

I'm pretty sure that Kirilenko remained overseas for two seasons after he was drafted in 1999. Some others in that position include: Primoz Brezec (#27 to Indiana in 2000 -- first NBA season 01-02); Raul Lopez (#24 to Utah in 2001 -- first NBA season 03-04); and Carlos Delfino (#25 to Detroit in 2003 -- first NBA season 04-05).

I think it's entirely a matter of pragmatism for the team. All of the teams that have left first rounders overseas have done so with picks that were in the 20's. Those teams didn't think they needed immediate help, so why push a kid to come over more quickly than he has to? If the Spurs needed a player to come in immediately and fill a role (ala Beno last year) or if they thought he was ready to fill a role (ala Tony Parker in 2001) they no doubt would bring him over now.

As it is, they could conceivably bring Ian over now and allow him to play in the NBDL. But for a group like the Spurs -- where there aren't really any open roles and very few minutes available -- the idea of indulging the luxury of having a guy develop in a comfortable environment has to be enticing. Better for Ian to get time to develop his game in France than to send him down to a bus league in the U.S. And far, far better than having him fester on a bench.

CosmicCowboy
06-29-2005, 11:21 AM
Since he is a first round pick - yes, his NBA contract is guaranteed. But it doesn't begin until he is signed with the Spurs. So if the Spurs don't sign him until (for example) the 2007-08 season. Then his guaranteed NBA contract begins that season.

If the player is already under contract, or signs a contract with a foreign team, the NBA team retains the player's draft rights for one year after the player's obligation to the non-NBA team ends. Essentially, the clock stops as long as the player plays pro ball outside the NBA.

great..thanks Kori

Pop just need to tell the kid to stay the fuck off motorcycles...:lol

boutons
06-29-2005, 11:32 AM
I actually think it's better to bring Ian over now, settle him into San Antonio, getting him past the rookies's cultural shock, and parking him on the closest NBDL team, Austin?, where the Spurs' staff have better access him and guide his development program.

Letting him get PT for Le Havre without the Spurs' supervision probably wouldn't be as effective for his development, and he'd still have the distraction of rookie re-location from France to USA ahead of him.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 11:38 AM
I actually think it's better to bring Ian over now, settle him into San Antonio, getting him past the rookies's cultural shock, and parking him on the closest NBDL team, Austin?, where the Spurs' staff have better access him and guide his development program.

Letting him get PT for Le Havre without the Spurs' supervision probably wouldn't be as effective for his development, and he'd still have the distraction of rookie re-location from France to USA ahead of him.

Well RC says that he has a great coaching situation there in France and his development has been extremely rapid in the last year, so they feel it's better to leave him there. If the Spurs were to bring him here and assign him to the NBDL, then they'd have to sign him and then send him down, using one of their roster spots. And though he'd be in the states and acclimating, I don't think his coaching situation in the NBDL would be better than in France.

As for the "culture shock", I'm sure the Spurs will bring him to San Antonio periodically in the offseason, put him on diet/weight training program, have him get used to the city, etc.

MannyIsGod
06-29-2005, 02:25 PM
And besides, if they keep him in France then they dont' have to pay him. If they put him in the NBDL the contract would have to be signed now.