PDA

View Full Version : Tony Dungy as a coach...

HI-FI
12-12-2012, 09:00 PM
inspired by the P. Manning thread, how do you rate Dungy as a coach? where does he rank?

Since i'm guilty of giving Belichick more credit than Brady, what about Dungy? do you think he helped or hindered Manning, or maybe both.

personally, I think Dungy is one of those guys who is great at communication. I think he's the type that white players can respect because he's soft spoken and doesn't chimp out. I think black players love him and play hard for him.

however, his playoff record before and with Manning was really bad. His teams always seemed flat or simplistic in the playoffs. So curious how others see his career.

Pelicans78
12-12-2012, 09:11 PM
He was a good coach. A bit too passive. Pretty much let the egomaniac run things in Indy during his time which made them soft defensively and one dimensional offensively. But hey, his defense did lead them in their Super Bowl run in 2006.

Greg Oden
12-12-2012, 09:13 PM
He was a good coach. A bit too passive. Pretty much let the egomaniac run things in Indy during his time which made them soft defensively and one dimensional offensively. But hey, his defense did lead them in their Super Bowl run in 2006.

:lol still hasn't answered why Peyton's ego led to the home playoff loses

Pelicans78
12-12-2012, 09:19 PM
:lol still hasn't answered why Peyton's ego led to the home playoff loses

To be honest, Peyton's ego is so big, I'm having to write a thesis to answer the question. I'm at the proofreading stage now.

Clipper Nation
12-12-2012, 09:21 PM
I think he's the type that white players can respect because he's soft spoken and doesn't chimp out. I think black players love him and play hard for him.

Only on SpursTalk would coaches be analyzed this way... :lol

HI-FI
12-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Only on SpursTalk would coaches be analyzed this way... :lol
I actually was going to do a more intelligent analysis, but then I remembered where I was. when in Rome...

DD
12-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Dungy's defenses were notoriously soft in the playoffs. The Colts have always had a soft D, but those Bucs teams outside of their 1999 run always underperformed in the playoffs--badly. Im convinced it wouldve been an Eagles-Raiders SB in 2002 had he stayed on at TB. He did nothing to improve Peyton's game, imo.

HI-FI
12-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Dungy's defenses were notoriously soft in the playoffs. The Colts have always had a soft D, but those Bucs teams outside of their 1999 run always underperformed in the playoffs--badly. Im convinced it wouldve been an Eagles-Raiders SB in 2002 had he stayed on at TB. He did nothing to improve Peyton's game, imo.
I think the one thing that bothered me in his playoff teams was he never added any extra wrinkles. Based on the gameplans and his demeanor, it was like he treated it like a regular season game. He also used to mention how the game wasn''t everything, how he would spend time with family etc...Yet you know the other coaches against him in the playoffs were working beyond overtime to have a plan B, plan C etc...

I feel he is a good guy, good communicator, but overrated by the media because he was black. The fact that Norv Turner had his number in the playoffs is disturbing.

LnGrrrR
12-12-2012, 10:49 PM
I think he had a good eye for talent and schemes, but I just don't know if he was a good enough motivator. I'm also not too sure about how good he was with halftime adjustments.

JoeTait75
12-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Outstanding defensive coach going back to his days working under Chuck Noll in Pittsburgh. His problem in Tampa- at least according to Warren Sapp- was that he didn't hold his offense to the same standards he held his defense, which eventually divided the locker room. He needed a guy like Peyton Manning who would demand excellence on the offensive side of the ball, something he wasn't able or willing to do in Tampa.

JoeTait75
12-12-2012, 10:55 PM

They didn't look soft against the Greatest Show on Turf in the '99 NFC Championship Game. His Buccaneer teams just had a major mental block when it came to playing at Veterans Stadium.

symple19
12-13-2012, 11:29 PM
Excellent coach. Successful wherever he went.

How old is he? Might he get back in the game?

Avante
12-14-2012, 01:20 AM
His race was a non factor, these pros are way beyond that sort of thing.

Dungy was a leader he did it the way it should be done, a class act. I don't think he was the best x's and o's guy but so aren't a lot of successful coachs. I can't say he belongs in with he legendary coachs, he was a good coach but nothing special.

johnsmith
12-14-2012, 01:27 AM
His race was a non factor, these pros are way beyond that sort of thing.

Lol.....yeah, these nfl players are so enlightened and mature......they hardly ever drive drunk and murder their friends, or shoot their gf's, or themselves, or go out to da club.