PDA

View Full Version : Larry Hughes...

theMUHMEshow
06-29-2005, 09:52 AM
Larry Hughes has been in Detroit that past 4 days. He has been seen in Rochester Hills, Auburn Hills and Troy at Sommerset Mall.

This is crazy...Now everyone in Detroit Radio is talking about Larry Hughes being in Detroit for some reason? I have no clue what the hell he would do here in Detroit, where he would play and why would he be here? Any one else heard this?

1Parker1
06-29-2005, 10:03 AM
It's the offseason, he probably has family there or something. I highly doubt he's shopping with the Pistons. He's a big part of the Wiz future and especially after they made it to the 2nd round for the first time in years, I highly doubt they'd consider trading him. Plus I am pretty sure Pistons are not interested in trading any of their starting 5...

theMUHMEshow
06-29-2005, 10:43 AM
I guess he had lunch with Dumars (according to am1270 'The Sports Inferno' former Piston beat reporter during '87-'96 Terry Foster)

This is getting serious I guess. I agree with what you said. How would we get a guy that is close to being a max out guy? Hughes is AMAZING! 23-6-5-2 a game??!!?! I wouldnt mind however, shipping RIP or Tay if we can get this guy. RIP and Tay are two players that we could really do a lot with as far as bringing someone in or people in.

The only thing I can think is that Hughes wants to win a title. If he does, coming here would be his best bet.

Also, as far as family here, he is born and raised in St. Louis.

mookie2001
06-29-2005, 10:50 AM
the muhe show
pistonsnation sucks so fucking bad you have to bring your pistons chatter in here?

Wallace ²
06-29-2005, 11:17 AM
Isn't Hughes a free agent. According to hoopshype, he doesn't have a salary listed for 2005/06. Also, there is not option or qualifying offer. I dont think the Pistons would have to give up anything except maybe some PT from Prince and Hamilton.

theMUHMEshow
06-29-2005, 11:18 AM
the muhe show
pistonsnation sucks so fucking bad you have to bring your pistons chatter in here?

Yes...no question about it Pistonsnation sucks...besides this was "NBA News Central" isnt it? or is it everything but PISTONS talk?

I didnt force you to read this or to reply to this...you are crapping this thread

mookie2001
06-29-2005, 11:19 AM
pistonsnation is the asshole of nba message boards

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 11:21 AM
I highly doubt he's shopping with the Pistons. He's a big part of the Wiz future and especially after they made it to the 2nd round for the first time in years, I highly doubt they'd consider trading him.

He's an unrestricted free agent. So if he wants to walk, he can go wherever he wants.

I didn't know he was considering Detroit, but I know that the Cavs are going to look at him.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 11:25 AM
The Pistons don't have any salary cap room (right?) So I guess if they are looking at Hughes, then they are planning on offering him the whole MLE. He might demand more money than that.

batman2883
06-29-2005, 11:33 AM
Larry Hughes will not move from Washington, he is the future of that franchise with Arenas, and Jamison, those three are like Parker, Manu, and Tim to them.(definitly not skills wise, but more like those are thier core players)

Wallace ²
06-29-2005, 11:59 AM
If Hughes does go to Detroit, he would have to accept the whole MLE just like Dyess did this year. If Hughes does come to the D, they would have to be considered top contenders with San Antonio and Miami.

1Parker1
06-29-2005, 12:26 PM
Wow, Hughes in Detroit will make them even scarier if it happens. But who the the Pistons offer in return? Rip/Prince?

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 12:27 PM
But who the the Pistons offer in return?

Read the prior posts :lol He's a free agent. The Pistons don't have to offer anyone.

FromWayDowntown
06-29-2005, 12:37 PM
Read the prior posts :lol He's a free agent. The Pistons don't have to offer anyone.

If Hughes wants more than the MLE, though, and the Pistons are bound and determined to acquire him, they will have to work out some sort of a sign-and-trade with the Wizards.

I'd be shocked if a young guy like Hughes would take the MLE at this stage of his career, coming off of the season he just had. Then again, if he wants a title bad enough, they could work out one of those "take the MLE now and we'll get you down the road" deals.

Wallace ²
06-29-2005, 12:44 PM
I would love to see this happen. Like From Way Downtown said, it just depends on if Hughes wants a title or about $4 Million more per year.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 12:44 PM
If Hughes wants more than the MLE, though, and the Pistons are bound and determined to acquire him, they will have to work out some sort of a sign-and-trade with the Wizards.

True. He was already making about the MLE, so I'm sure that he is going to demand a little more money. And if the Cavs are going after him too, they can offer it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-29-2005, 12:45 PM
I don't see a couple of things happening:

1. I don't see him settling for the MLE when there's going to be teams offering much more. This is going to be his "I'm rich" deal, and there's going to be teams ponying up a lot more than the MLE for him.

2. I don't see him coming off the bench, which is what he'd have to do in Detroit.

What's next? Shaq in Detroit. Silly Piston fans...

Wallace ²
06-29-2005, 01:03 PM
What's next? Shaq in Detroit. Silly Piston fans...

Pistons fans aren't exxagerating. He had lunch with Joe Dumars. In case you don't know, Joe Dumars is the guy who signs players to play on the Detroit Pistons. This could be innocent and all, but you never know what might come out of this lunch. Dyess signed with the Pistons because he had dinner with Billups and Chauncey convinced him to sign.

Look no further than your team, didn't Manu sign for less just to be on a competitive team? I could be wrong but I believe I heard that.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-29-2005, 01:10 PM
damn larry hughes is the BOMB guys, if pistons get him cheap it will work out for them

he can play some good D when properly motivated and also help out your fast break game

theMUHMEshow
06-29-2005, 01:24 PM
This keeps growing and growing...

I would LOVE to trade RIP for someone solid that can score to come off the bench, and put Hughes at the 3.

I am tellin ya...this might happen

FromWayDowntown
06-29-2005, 02:35 PM
This keeps growing and growing...

I would LOVE to trade RIP for someone solid that can score to come off the bench, and put Hughes at the 3.

I am tellin ya...this might happen

The thing with a trade is making salaries match, though with the 25% + $100K cushion afforded by the new CBA, that's not as big an obstacle as it was before. Still, Rip is slated to make less than $9 million next year, so that would mean Hughes would have to be willing to take (and the Pistons willing to pay him) something like 2x the MLE. They could up the ante by dealing both Hamilton and Prince for Hughes, but I can't see Dumars doing that.

Frankly, I'd rather have both Hamilton and Prince together than Hughes alone. I think the Pistons need depth, and not an overhaul, at the wing spots. But if Hughes is depth, you'd better hope, as AHF notes that he's willing to come off the bench and to do so at a price that is seriously under his market value.

If I'm Danny Ferry -- I'm making Hughes a sizeable offer, if only to keep him away from Detroit, or to force the Pistons to overbid him. The Cavs would do well with a guy like Hughes (particularly since Redd appears to be more heavily involved in what the Bucks are doing these days) to pair with Lebron.

theMUHMEshow
06-29-2005, 02:41 PM
The thing with a trade is making salaries match, though with the 25% + $100K cushion afforded by the new CBA, that's not as big an obstacle as it was before. Still, Rip is slated to make less than $9 million next year, so that would mean Hughes would have to be willing to take (and the Pistons willing to pay him) something like 2x the MLE. They could up the ante by dealing both Hamilton and Prince for Hughes, but I can't see Dumars doing that.

Frankly, I'd rather have both Hamilton and Prince together than Hughes alone. I think the Pistons need depth, and not an overhaul, at the wing spots. But if Hughes is depth, you'd better hope, as AHF notes that he's willing to come off the bench and to do so at a price that is seriously under his market value.

If I'm Danny Ferry -- I'm making Hughes a sizeable offer, if only to keep him away from Detroit, or to force the Pistons to overbid him. The Cavs would do well with a guy like Hughes (particularly since Redd appears to be more heavily involved in what the Bucks are doing these days) to pair with Lebron.

YO BUDDY! HELLO! NO TRADE FOR HUGHES, HE IS A UNRESTRICTED FA. TRADE RIP FOR SOMEONE ELSE, BECAUSE HUGHES IS GOING TO TAKE HIS SPOT!

Marklar MM
06-29-2005, 02:46 PM
YO BUDDY! HELLO! NO TRADE FOR HUGHES, HE IS A UNRESTRICTED FA. TRADE RIP FOR SOMEONE ELSE, BECAUSE HUGHES IS GOING TO TAKE HIS SPOT!

Sign and trade

FromWayDowntown
06-29-2005, 03:00 PM

Yo Buddy -- Hello.

The Pistons are over the cap (right now, their allocated salaries for 2005-06 exceeds $50 million)! (at least you'd better hope they're over -- if they end up just barely under the cap, they won't be doing much this offseason other than trading).

Since they are over the cap, the Pistons can only offer minimum contracts or exceptions to free agents!!

The Pistons best shot to get Hughes without dealing a player for him directly is the mid-level exception, but that number will be around $5 million!!!

Unless Hughes is somehow unconcerned with money and willing to settle for the mid-level exception (which would probably require him to take a pay cut from his $5,438,345 salary in 2004-05) if your Pistons are to get him, they're going to have to work a sign-and-trade of some sort!!!!

That means you'll have to deal one of your guys for him directly, which will do nothing to address concerns for the Pistons' depth!!!!!

Q.E.D. (and you see, I can write in exclamatory sentences too, though without the YELLING!!)

ShoogarBear
06-29-2005, 03:16 PM
Hughes, Rip, and Billups would be the best guard rotation in the league, but I can't see one of them accepting not being a starter.

I watched a lot of Hughes in DC this year. No doubt he had a great year, but a) I'm not yet convinced that he's turned the corner into being a consistent All-Star-caliber player, b) I don't know if he'd do as well in a disciplined system like the Pistons as opposed to the near-anarchy of the Wiz, and c) his defense is WAY overrated.

1Parker1
06-29-2005, 03:21 PM
Hughes, Rip, and Billups would be the best guard rotation in the league, but I can't see one of them accepting not being a starter.

I watched a lot of Hughes in DC this year. No doubt he had a great year, but a) I'm not yet convinced that he's turned the corner into being a consistent All-Star-caliber player, b) I don't know if he'd do as well in a disciplined system like the Pistons as opposed to the near-anarchy of the Wiz, and c) his defense is WAY overrated.

Wasn't he voted All NBA First Defensive Team? Or was it second...?

Cant_Be_Faded
06-29-2005, 03:41 PM
First of all theres no way Hughes could play a 3 spot.....he'd get abused

Second of all, yeah i dont see him accepting a bench spot, its not like the guy is 33 and on his last attempt to get a ring...

third of all, his defense IS overrated, but i wouldn't say WAY overrated. He still does it. Maybe its arenas shitty defense that makes hughes look good by comparison, but if he were a SPUR i know we'd see that boy put people on lock

1Parker1
06-29-2005, 03:55 PM
Hmm...then maybe Spurs should look into him as a potential Bruce Bowen replacement. Trade Rasho and Beno for Hughes...

midgetonadonkey
06-29-2005, 04:41 PM
Also, as far as family here, he is born and raised in St. Louis.

I was born and raised in South Texas and I have family in Detroit. So that is a lame point to make. I'm sure they are trying to lure him over but I don't see it happening. Anything can happen though.

Horry For 3!
06-29-2005, 06:14 PM
I thought Hughes was staying with the Wizards?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-29-2005, 06:25 PM
Pistons fans aren't exxagerating. He had lunch with Joe Dumars. In case you don't know, Joe Dumars is the guy who signs players to play on the Detroit Pistons.

In case you don't know, guys who are looking for their "money" contract in their prime, who are being talked about with deals starting around 8-9 million, aren't going to play for 4.5 million just so some Pistons fan on a bulletin board can get his rocks off.

I don't know what's more comical - Pistons fans in this thread thinking Hughes will come off the bench for half his market value, or the Pistons fans in this thread who have no comprehension whatsoever of the collective bargaining agreement, salary cap, and how those two combined impact trades in this league.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2005, 07:34 PM
I guess he had lunch with Dumars (according to am1270 'The Sports Inferno' former Piston beat reporter during '87-'96 Terry Foster)I guess that's tampering and Dumars has a big fine coming his way (according to the quite strict terms of the CBA).

theMUHMEshow
06-29-2005, 08:52 PM
Who ever said Hughes was going to come off the bench?

And why in the HELL would he have to IF WE DID LIKE I SAID WE WOULD DO and trade RIP away to another team for bench support!
:idiot

FromWayDowntown
06-29-2005, 09:08 PM
Who ever said Hughes was going to come off the bench?

And why in the HELL would he have to IF WE DID LIKE I SAID WE WOULD DO and trade RIP away to another team for bench support!
:idiot

Hughes won't come off the bench in Detroit unless the Pistons can either: (1) convince Hughes to accept a contract paying him far less than the market will bear; or (2) make a sign-and-trade deal for Hughes that allows them to keep Hamilton and Prince and then don't make any other deals.

MUHMEshow -- you seem to have ignored the numerous posts that explain, in some detail, that the Pistons aren't very likely to get Hughes without giving Washington Rip, Prince, or some other key piece. It's simple salary cap/CBA stuff -- your Pistons don't have the cap space to make Hughes any offer better than the mid-level exception (assuming the Pistons even have that available). Hughes made more than the MLE last season -- he's going to have to agree to a substantial pay cut to sign a contract with the Pistons unless there is some deal to acquire him.

Now, that deal could be some kind of three-way that sends Hughes to Detroit, Hamilton elsewhere, and a third player to D.C., but unless Hughes agrees to the pay cut, or unless the Pistons deal someone else to get Hughes, you're not going to get him without giving up Rip for him directly.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-29-2005, 10:43 PM

You can't just trade Rip away. Unless you find a third team to get involved in the deal Detroit has to take back Rip's value plus or minus 25% + 100K to make it work.

And no matter how much crack you guys are smoking up there in Detroit I don't see anyone lining up to take some scrubs so the one year removed NBA champs and perennial favorite for the East can go out and get Larry Hughes.

You have a better chance of Darko starting for you next year than that :lol

ShoogarBear
06-30-2005, 12:51 AM
Wasn't he voted All NBA First Defensive Team? Or was it second...?
First Team, which was a complete joke. Hughes led the league in steals, but in no way was a stopper.

atlfan25
06-30-2005, 01:14 AM
Hughes is chillin in detroit just to up his tat count

AI-square
06-30-2005, 03:18 AM
First Team, which was a complete joke. Hughes led the league in steals, but in no way was a stopper.

Heck, Iverson is a better defensive player than Hughes...

baseline bum
06-30-2005, 03:41 AM
Man, you guys were 12 minutes from repeating as champs and you want to trade your best scorer for a guy who had one good season on a so-so team? Hamilton's a winner and a character guy. If I was a Piston fan I'd want him to retire a Piston. I don't think Larry Hughes would do anything that's a net positive for your team if you lose Rip. Trading Prince for him is nearly as bad.

Basically, the Pistons need to do 2 things:

1) Joe Dumars needs to show up at the doorstep of Mike James on his hands and knees and beg him to comeback so they have some backcourt shooting off the bench

2) The team needs to realize it can't just flip the switch and should play hungry all season. I truly believe this was the main difference between the Pistons and Spurs. The Spurs just wanted it from the beginning. They played their asses off all season and never took nights off.

AI-square
06-30-2005, 04:39 AM
I think Detroit needs a bit of help with scoring off the bench. But I think perhaps the more pressing issue for Detroit this season was the constant media speculation about Larry Brown. These sort of distractions do not help the team at all. I hope these issues don't resurface next season and we'll see a more consistent Detroit team.

Wallace ²
06-30-2005, 06:25 AM
Just to let you all know. The MLE this year will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 Million. This means that if Hughes accepts the MLE, he would get a minor pay raise and have the chance to play for more than 1 ring. Nobody is saying that he is already signed, we are just excited at the possibility.

Kori Ellis
06-30-2005, 07:10 AM
The MLE this year will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 Million.

Where'd you get that info?

Most places have estimated it $5-$5.5M. No one really know though - they haven't done any of the accounting yet.

Kori Ellis
06-30-2005, 07:13 AM
I guess he had lunch with Dumars (according to am1270 'The Sports Inferno' former Piston beat reporter during '87-'96 Terry Foster)

A former beat reporter should know better than to announce something like that on the radio. If he was having lunch with him, now Dumars can get in trouble for tampering, get fined, and blow the whole deal. :(

Cant_Be_Faded
06-30-2005, 07:50 AM
Judging from the pundits posts, the CBA is freakin stupid.

ChumpDumper
06-30-2005, 10:12 AM
he would get a minor pay raiseWhy would he want just a minor raise at his age after the season he had? It's not like the Wizards were a lottery team last season either.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-30-2005, 12:31 PM
Just to let you all know. The MLE this year will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 Million. This means that if Hughes accepts the MLE, he would get a minor pay raise and have the chance to play for more than 1 ring

Just to let you know, most reports have it pegged at 5.1 million.

This means that if you think Hughes is going to accept a deal, for his big contract of his career, that starts at 5.1 million when someone will probably be offering him one starting upwards of 7 and maybe 8 million you need to put down the crack pipe.

Guys will go for the money when they are in their prime, and worry about rings later.

combs84
06-30-2005, 05:43 PM
People take less money to play for contenders all the time, why are you guys being so stubborn? This isn't completely out of possibility. With Pay increases for a 5 year contract, he will still make a nice sum of money. He will also still get a good 25 minutes on this team with the lack of depth.

ChumpDumper
06-30-2005, 05:50 PM
People take less money to play for contenders all the time, why are you guys being so stubborn?What was the last ~26 year old unrestricted FA that took fully a third less money to sign an MLE contract with a contender?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-30-2005, 06:23 PM
People take less money to play for contenders all the time, why are you guys being so stubborn?

Forget stubborn, why are you guys being so stupid? :lol No 20-something player in their prime has taken less just for a crack at a ring.

Again, this is Larry's contract to cash in on and be set for life, he ain't going to take a pay cut for Detroit. If he wants the ring, he'll play for less when he's like 34-35.

This isn't completely out of possibility.

Sure, and neither is the Atlanta Hawks winning the title next year, but the odds are about the same.

With Pay increases for a 5 year contract, he will still make a nice sum of money.

:lol As a FA moving to another team he's eligible for 8% raises.

Let's see...

Detroit
5.1 million
5.61 million
6.12 million
6.63 million
7.14 million
7.65 million
------------
Total contract: 38.25 million

Some other team offering him a contract:

Low End:
7 million
7.7 million
8.4 million
9.1 million
9.8 million
10.5 million
------------
Total: 52.5 million

High End:
8 million
8.8 million
9.6 million
10.4 million
11.2 million
12 million
-----------
60 million

Yeah, Larry is going to leave anywhere from 13-21 million on the table for you guys. :lmao (and that's less than what he could re-sign with Washington for on the low or high side - bigger raises)

He will also still get a good 25 minutes on this team with the lack of depth.

Or he could could sign somewhere for a lot more money and have his ego appropriately accomodated by playing 38-40 minutes a game.

Hmm, tough choice.

Pistons < Spurs
07-01-2005, 12:54 AM
1270 AM is FULL of RUMORS.........

No way would we trade ANY of our starters...

Perhaps he would want a chance to play w/ a contender.....but I doubt it. He just had a career year. It's his time to get paid. Lots of teams with money will be sure to go after him. Not to mention the Wizards are going to go strong after him aswell. For him to choose to be a bench player and get less minutes and less than his share of the money, would be foolish....IMO. I would love to see him here. He's a stud. But I seriously doubt we will see him in Detroit.

More likely, is:
Jalen who is from the area, and has stated that he'd love to be a Piston.
Houston, who is still very close to Joe D, and Hunter...and his wife is from here. He too has stated the Detroit is his first choice.
Finley, No ties to the area or club, but would be an ideal bench scorer for us
D Jones, who once was a Piston. He's good friends w/ Chauncey. He's a known quantity for us. No guessing games. We know EXACTLY what he would bring us.

AI-square
07-01-2005, 01:00 AM
Damien Jones sounds the best bet for Detroit at this point, although he'd have to be a bench player. Imagine having him to drop some 3-point bombs once in a while.

Wallace ²
07-01-2005, 06:54 AM
What was the last ~26 year old unrestricted FA that took fully a third less money to sign an MLE contract with a contender?

Manu

theMUHMEshow
07-01-2005, 07:26 AM
1270 AM is FULL of RUMORS.........

No way would we trade ANY of our starters...

Perhaps he would want a chance to play w/ a contender.....but I doubt it. He just had a career year. It's his time to get paid. Lots of teams with money will be sure to go after him. Not to mention the Wizards are going to go strong after him aswell. For him to choose to be a bench player and get less minutes and less than his share of the money, would be foolish....IMO. I would love to see him here. He's a stud. But I seriously doubt we will see him in Detroit.

More likely, is:
Jalen who is from the area, and has stated that he'd love to be a Piston.
Houston, who is still very close to Joe D, and Hunter...and his wife is from here. He too has stated the Detroit is his first choice.
Finley, No ties to the area or club, but would be an ideal bench scorer for us
D Jones, who once was a Piston. He's good friends w/ Chauncey. He's a known quantity for us. No guessing games. We know EXACTLY what he would bring us.

I wouldnt be so sure about NOT trading one of our starters. I am sure you never thought that we would drop Carlisle after back to back 50 win seasons or dump Stackhouse after the best year of his life.

Facts are facts...we were ONE RIB from not even getting the the NBA Finals. If Miami was healthy they could make a case for beating us and San Antonio. And hell, an Indiana team took us to the max last year with JO being hurt and gave us a run this year with a half ass team.

The Pistons have made it to back to back finals and after winning one last year that is great.

HOWEVER!

Do you see what is going on in the league? IT IS CHANGING! NOT STAYING THE SAME! The calls, are changing, we cannot play the same style and expect to win year in and year out. We need to adapt to what the league is doing and continue to get better. What team stays the same year in and year out? The Bulls always added parts, even to their starting lineup to keep up with the changes. You dont think that the league might be starting to figure us out? Look at what we did in the NBA Finals? Look at our scoring droughts ALL SEASON LONG! this team needs some new parts. We need to be able to score other then on ONE DAMN CURL PLAY WITH OUR 2GUARD!

Indy is very very hungry especially after us knocking them out the past 2 years, and the whole brawl incident. Plus they are coming back with a better team then last year.

Miami, an older Shaq yes, BUT A YEAR OLDER WADE!

We need to make another move. What we have this year did not get us a ring, meaning this is not going to work to win a ring next year. Sheed is older and McDyess is getting older...

All you other Detroit fans can get stuck on your favorite Piston and get in your LA LA land that everything is great and peachy and THEY WOULD NEVER GET RID OF THIS GUY. Dont be suprised. JOE WANTS TO WIN NOT BE A RUNNER UP

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2005, 07:54 AM
Manu

Ehhhhhhhh, wrong.

He didn't take less. The only team to even think about coming with an offer was Detroit and we made it perfectly clear we would outbid anyone for him, so no one bothered.

Slight difference between that and a situation where you've got 4 teams with over 16 million in cap room looking for guards.

Banks91
07-04-2005, 12:23 PM
are u pistons fans in such disarray that u are hopin for a player like Hughes to fall into ur lap for the MLE

For players this is how it goes, get rich first, if u havent won by the time ur big contract is done ,then u think about winnin over money

hughes is relatively young, hasnt had a rich contract yet, so there is no way in hell he
will be already in desperation mode like Malone and payton

He isnt comin detroit, and u will not win the championship again as long as manu,tony, and tim are together

sickdsm
07-08-2005, 12:15 PM
Hughes agrees to a deal with cleveland, did he not?

theMUHMEshow
07-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Wow...Cleveland getting Hughes...that makes the central division a little intresting?

Indiana
Detroit
Cleveland

I think we now have the toughest division in basketball

mavsfan1000
07-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Cleveland is still not at the level of Detroit or Indiana. They need a shot blocker and they could be there.

theMUHMEshow
07-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Yeah, they are not yet...but you have to look at the fact they still have some money left I think...

Honestly...I dont think Detroit or Miami is at the level of Indiana when Indy is 100% healthy

Horry For 3!
07-08-2005, 03:09 PM
He got a deal with the Cavs 5 years/65 mil. That is a damn good amount.