PDA

View Full Version : Defending last second shots

SilverSpur
12-13-2012, 01:19 AM
Why can't the Spurs defend last second shots?
We always give up last second shots at the end of quarters, end of the half and end if the game. Do we not practice against this.
Can someone explain this.

superjames1992
12-13-2012, 01:19 AM
That was a 27-footer. What more do you want? Mo made an amazing shot. Let's live with it and move on.

TDMVPDPOY
12-13-2012, 01:20 AM
cant even defend the 3pt shooter, and u thinkn of defending the last fluke shot

justinandimcool
12-13-2012, 01:21 AM
forced baseline, tbh.

timvp

Last game in the exact situation Green stopped Lin....

Splits
Evidence of "always"?

Brunodf
12-13-2012, 01:22 AM
Green didn't close the distance, dumb move

egtonecity
12-13-2012, 01:23 AM
Lol. Danny Green lost this game for us but it wasn't on that play.

superjames1992
12-13-2012, 01:25 AM
How did Danny lose this game? He shot well, got some steals. There were a few iffy turnovers, but it happens.

Texas_Ranger
12-13-2012, 01:28 AM
Green is just a spot up shooter and a solid defender on this team. I can't be really that mad about that foul, cause Foye missed the FT. We should know that he sucks at dribbling and that he can't finish layups or floaters. He's a pretty good role player and thats all...

egtonecity
12-13-2012, 01:30 AM
Missed some easy shots, jazz pressure on the ball got him rattled, the and one on foye, the turnover that lead to al Jeff's game tying dunk, that dropped pass from Timmy when he had another lay up... And also by him running funny somehow lead to mo hitting that game winner.

dunkman
12-13-2012, 01:31 AM
We always give up last second shots at the end of quarters, end of the half and end if the game. Do we not practice against this.
Can someone explain this.

It's very difficult to block a jumper. One can only make it a difficult low % shot, but many players still can make them, just not constantly.

Phil Jax used to send Shaq sometime when he was still very mobile to try block a guard in the last seconds.

TheSkeptic
12-13-2012, 01:31 AM
Mo just made a great shot. It would've been nice if Danny had forced him to put the ball on the floor, but I'm really not upset with the defense he played there. Never should've been in that situation to be honest. Spurs had the lead and then lost it.

SpursRock20
12-13-2012, 01:33 AM
Green's timing on the last play was commendable. He jumped right as the shooter was going up for the shot from 27 feet away. It was a great shot.

SA210
12-13-2012, 01:39 AM

TampaDude
12-13-2012, 01:39 AM
Mo just made a great shot. It would've been nice if Danny had forced him to put the ball on the floor, but I'm really not upset with the defense he played there. Never should've been in that situation to be honest. Spurs had the lead and then lost it.

Twice they blew a 3-possession lead.

Richie
12-13-2012, 01:41 AM
Lol. Danny Green lost this game for us but it wasn't on that play.

He was the only guy to make a shot in the last 4 minutes...

TheSkeptic
12-13-2012, 01:41 AM
Twice they blew a 3-possession lead.

Yeah see. There's no excuse for that.

dunkman
12-13-2012, 01:42 AM
I still remember how for the famous 0.4 play Pop had Devin and Horry doubling Kobe and Manu guarding Fisher, while much larger Bowen and Hedo were sitting on the bench.

Pop is otherwise the best ever drawing the last offensive play.

SpursRock20
12-13-2012, 01:45 AM
Contrary to the belief that Green lost the game, I feel that this is on Boris. Yes, his offense looked respectable but he did not get 1 rebound. He played 23 minutes (nearly a whole half of basketball) and did not manage to grab one single board. I understand that Duncan was gobbling them up, but Boris' play late in the game was discouraging.

I'd really like to have Al Jefferson on this team. He has a good repetorie with Duncan and he is a solid bigman that does much of what Duncan can do. He rebounds, defends, posts up, and can hit the 15 foot jump shot. We haven't had one of those next to Duncan since Robinson.

ElNono
12-13-2012, 01:46 AM
does OP watches games? Spurs were great making stops to win games until this Utah game... was actually a refreshing change from years past.

Brunodf
12-13-2012, 01:50 AM
Contrary to the belief that Green lost the game, I feel that this is on Boris. Yes, his offense looked respectable but he did not get 1 rebound. He played 23 minutes (nearly a whole half of basketball) and did not manage to grab one single board. I understand that Duncan was gobbling them up, but Boris' play late in the game was discouraging.

I'd really like to have Al Jefferson on this team. He has a good repetorie with Duncan and he is a solid bigman that does much of what Duncan can do. He rebounds, defends, posts up, and can hit the 15 foot jump shot. We haven't had one of those next to Duncan since Robinson.

:lol

SpursRock20
12-13-2012, 01:56 AM
I know he has been called lazy in the past, but when he plays with energy he can play solid defense. For the Spurs, he could play center and be a solid post defender. That's all we would need from him.

letmk
12-13-2012, 01:59 AM
In general, I would say Green's approach is okay. But considering the time, and that Mo isn't a great slasher and 3-pointer would be his #1 weapon if ever possible, I think it's bad move to give him that much space. But I pin this on coaches instead of Green since it's after the timeout and Mo is their ball-handler.

If it's a catch-and-shoot after pick-roll, I might be more forgiving since it's more tricky.

spurraider21
12-13-2012, 02:18 AM
Dude, if somebody is going to pull up Arenas style from 5 feet behind the line, you have to live with that. Its a low percentage shot, and it was decently contested by a taller defender. Nice shot by Mo

hooperflash
12-13-2012, 02:26 AM

Exactly! Kept on saying 'Get closer, get closer, be
aggressive, put a body on him..”

Just because you are taller than the opposing player, does not mean you'd ease a bit.. You gotta treat last second shots like if MJ was shootin'em.

Malik Hairston
12-13-2012, 02:27 AM
Every fan of every team in the NBA believes that their team gets burned by last second shots more than anybody else, tbh..

Danny Green is the most overrated player on ST, but he played good defense on the final shot..

I actually wouldn't have minded a double team as the clock was winding down, as it was obvious that Williams wasn't going to pass, but that would have been risky..

tmtcsc
12-13-2012, 03:10 AM
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Williams was able to get off the final shot because of a "huge'' defensive error by Danny Green when the Jazz inbounded the ball with 6.7 seconds left.

"You got to make him drive with that amount of time,'' Popovich said. "That's why we put a bigger guy on Mo at the end so he couldn't get a shot off. You don't step off Mo Williams. What do you think he's going to do with two seconds on the clock? Instead of getting into him, he backed off. Huge defensive error.''

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/gameflash/2012/12/12/31951/#recap#ixzz2EuwkZtk2

Obstructed_View
12-13-2012, 03:30 PM
It'll be interesting to see how Danny responds to being thrown under the bus. I'll give up a 27 foot shake and bake jumper in a tie game every fucking time. Mo Williams is a pretty good shooter, and he probably makes 3 out of 10 of those at best.

Beaverfuzz
12-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Danny wasn't thrown under the bus, he didn't play top defense on that shot but it wasn't the easiest shot in the world to begin with for Utah to make. They made it and won the game, move on to beating the Blazers.

Obstructed_View
12-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Danny wasn't thrown under the bus.

You must have missed Pop's quote.