PDA

View Full Version : Android beats iOS in Q3 sales by 75% to 14.9% worldwide.

Cry Havoc
12-13-2012, 02:37 AM
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57544131-94/android-beats-ios-5-to-1-in-q3-smartphone-market-share/

:lmao Apple.

:lmao Keep suing, you're already done.

TDMVPDPOY
12-13-2012, 02:48 AM
apple has run out of ideas...fck them

ElNono
12-13-2012, 04:28 AM
yet, I'm willing to bet Apple will make more money than Google or any Android vendor... lol done

Drachen
12-13-2012, 10:02 PM
yet, I'm willing to bet Apple will make more money than Google or any Android vendor... lol done

Probably, but damn, a 200 dollar drop over the last 2.5 months is pretty indicative of what the market thinks of their future prospects. That TV better be badass.

leemajors
12-13-2012, 10:24 PM
taxes/fiscal cliff worries, plus it's been priced insanely high for some time and was never going to stay up there

ElNono
12-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Probably, but damn, a 200 dollar drop over the last 2.5 months is pretty indicative of what the market thinks of their future prospects. That TV better be badass.

I'm with lee, their stock was severely overpriced. When was the last time they even split their stock?

leemajors
12-14-2012, 10:21 PM
I'm with lee, their stock was severely overpriced. When was the last time they even split their stock?

lefty
12-14-2012, 10:37 PM
RIM : "we are the .1 %"

Wild Cobra
12-16-2012, 06:45 AM
Did I read someplace that Android is like Linux? That could be the reason. Before I had Android, I had a windows smart phone. Boy oh boy, did it stink. Apple... used to be the best consumer products. I don't think so any more. Know people that love their products, but they seem to put too many tentacles in the OS and application. I ended up removing all my apple products from my PC, like QuickTime, etc.

ElNono
12-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Android runs on top of Linux.

Drachen
12-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Android runs on top of Linux.

Correction, Android IS a linux distro.

ElNono
12-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Correction, Android IS a linux distro.

You could call it that. The larger point I was making is that it runs on top of the Linux kernel.

Drachen
12-16-2012, 05:45 PM
You could call it that. The larger point I was making is that it runs on top of the Linux kernel.

that would be a good specific way of putting it

DJ Mbenga
12-17-2012, 01:33 AM
android and windows phone are doing a great job going overseas. brazi, china, and mexico, and india are where their low spec but well pefroming devices are great.

ElNono
12-17-2012, 01:35 AM
talking about China...

China iPhone 5 sales top two million units in opening weekend (http://9to5mac.com/2012/12/16/china-iphone-5-sales-top-two-million-in-opening-weekend/)

lefty
12-18-2012, 04:53 PM
talking about China...

China iPhone 5 sales top two million units in opening weekend (http://9to5mac.com/2012/12/16/china-iphone-5-sales-top-two-million-in-opening-weekend/)

That's because they saw a pic of Yao Ming holding an iPhone

TheGreatest23
12-18-2012, 05:51 PM
there's always the loyal apple sheep who will get it and keep sales records up....its the people after the initial offering that is changing the sales figures.

leemajors
12-18-2012, 07:05 PM
there's always the loyal apple sheep who will get it and keep sales records up....its the people after the initial offering that is changing the sales figures.

That woukd make sense if Apple didn't sell more iphones each go round and keep gaining market share.

TheGreatest23
12-18-2012, 07:36 PM
That woukd make sense if Apple didn't sell more iphones each go round and keep gaining market share.

oh yah...hows the iphone5 sales compared to the 4s?

leemajors
12-18-2012, 08:37 PM
oh yah...hows the iphone5 sales compared to the 4s?

It sold 5 million in the first three days, about a million more than the 4. Your point?

leemajors
01-23-2013, 05:14 PM
Apple just announced its Q1 2013 earnings, and the company posted a record $13.1b profit on a record $54.5b in revenue. That's just over last year's record of $13.06b profit on $46.33b in revenue at this time last year, and well over the $8.2b profit on $36 billion in revenue in the last quarter.

Importantly, iPhone sales were a record 47.8m compared to 37.04m iPhones a year ago and 26.9m iPhones last quarter, and iPad sales also set a record at 22.9m sold, compared to 15.43m last year and 14m last quarter. Overall, Apple moved some 75m iOS devices last quarter. Interestingly, Mac sales during the holiday quarter were down to 4.1m from 5.2m last year, while the iPod continued its predictable slide, with the traditionally strong holiday sales coming in at 12.7m from 15.4m a year ago.

The results narrowly beat the consensus Wall Street projections, which had Apple posting a $12.8b profit on $54.8b in revenue. Apple also beat its own estimates, which were $11b in profits on $52b in revenue. Even still, that may not be enough for investors, who are hammering the stock in after-hours trading for being "light on revenue."

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/23/3908330/apple-q1-2013-earnings

TeyshaBlue
01-23-2013, 06:31 PM
Not surprising. The smartphone market is still growing.

Drachen
01-23-2013, 06:33 PM
....and their stock falls 11% after hours.

leemajors
01-23-2013, 06:59 PM
....and their stock falls 11% after hours.

yeah for no reason at all

Drachen
01-23-2013, 07:02 PM
yeah for no reason at all

stock is inflated by inflated expectations of apple performance. It is just reverting back.

leemajors
01-23-2013, 07:24 PM
stock is inflated by inflated expectations of apple performance. It is just reverting back.

I got out of EPP a long time ago, around $300 a share I think. I was surprised it dropped late since they beat the estimates, but this shit makes no sense to me :lol

benfti
02-02-2013, 05:17 PM

and that is exactly why the share prices are tanking, yes, they sold more iphones, but not heaps more, and more importantly they dropped in percentage of market growth gained. They only got just over 16% of new users. A year ago, the iPhone was the symbol of smart phones.

Due to their insanely high margins all telecommunications and retail companies wanted to see happen for a long time was the consumer consider the (higher margin) alternative. Which is now happening globally. Apple as well as it has done after the Apple stores are really only as strong as their supply chain are willing to let it be.

Its good times, it will probably mean now that Apple products will have to become more affordable for them to gain their share back

leemajors
02-02-2013, 05:57 PM
and that is exactly why the share prices are tanking, yes, they sold more iphones, but not heaps more, and more importantly they dropped in percentage of market growth gained. They only got just over 16% of new users. A year ago, the iPhone was the symbol of smart phones.

Due to their insanely high margins all telecommunications and retail companies wanted to see happen for a long time was the consumer consider the (higher margin) alternative. Which is now happening globally. Apple as well as it has done after the Apple stores are really only as strong as their supply chain are willing to let it be.

Its good times, it will probably mean now that Apple products will have to become more affordable for them to gain their share back

Apple's worldwide smartphone market share grew to 25.1% this last year, from 18.8 %.

http://photos.appleinsider.com/idc-130125-2.jpg

benfti
02-02-2013, 06:09 PM
I said they grew, im talking about they didnt grow enough new market share, hence the drop in share price.

You have to remember that they came to market with a new major build, and only took just under 8% of the market. Those figures include finally coming out in China. A lot of that are probably repeat business upgrades, Im just trying to explain why the share prices dropped.

Im not saying Apple is dying.

leemajors
02-02-2013, 06:42 PM
I said they grew, im talking about they didnt grow enough new market share, hence the drop in share price.

You have to remember that they came to market with a new major build, and only took just under 8% of the market. Those figures include finally coming out in China. A lot of that are probably repeat business upgrades, Im just trying to explain why the share prices dropped.

Im not saying Apple is dying.

Aye, I just took it as coming back down closer to where it should have been, had been overpriced for some time. I think a few people made a shitload of money when it dropped though, not convinced it had a whole lot to do with sales, products, or market share.

bluebellmaniac
02-08-2013, 03:02 AM

Pop
02-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Android may go down significantly if Samsung is successful with Tizen.

Google making hardware made Android phone manufacturers very cautious and Samsung has a very strong brand so if anyone can pull it off it's them.

The Ubuntu phones look intriguing as well long term since the final solution is said to be phones that could be docked and run the full OS. Windows should do that as well, if the windows phones ran RT and could be docked, I'd only need one device and would be all over it...

So I'm not sure about Android long term, for myself at least, Google Maps is ported to every major OS and that the one app I'd have a hard time living without.

Cry Havoc
02-15-2013, 04:44 PM
Android may go down significantly if Samsung is successful with Tizen.

Google making hardware made Android phone manufacturers very cautious and Samsung has a very strong brand so if anyone can pull it off it's them.

The Ubuntu phones look intriguing as well long term since the final solution is said to be phones that could be docked and run the full OS. Windows should do that as well, if the windows phones ran RT and could be docked, I'd only need one device and would be all over it...

So I'm not sure about Android long term, for myself at least, Google Maps is ported to every major OS and that the one app I'd have a hard time living without.

Honestly, this is good for the market. Android right now is a lock to be the leader around the world. At this point Apple has played it's hand and they're losing more ground all the time. Android needs another competitor, and even if everything was 50-50 with Apple, more competitors are good for consumers.

ElNono
02-15-2013, 10:32 PM
We received an email from Microsoft a couple days ago, inquiring about our flagship iOS product. We're having a phone conference soon. I suspect they want us to port it to the Surface. We'll see what the incentives are.

tbh, I've been postponing learning dotNet for a while, and this might be the right time to do it.

At any rate, it looks like they're being pretty aggressive.

Trainwreck2100
02-17-2013, 11:34 AM
We received an email from Microsoft a couple days ago, inquiring about our flagship iOS product. We're having a phone conference soon. I suspect they want us to port it to the Surface. We'll see what the incentives are.

tbh, I've been postponing learning dotNet for a while, and this might be the right time to do it.

At any rate, it looks like they're being pretty aggressive.

what product is that? If you really don't want to tell the forum pm me. Also lol surface

ElNono
02-17-2013, 01:52 PM
pm sent

Trainwreck2100
02-17-2013, 02:18 PM
pm sent

so that's why you never ported to android

ElNono
02-17-2013, 03:45 PM
so that's why you never ported to android

We've given some thought to port to Android based on customer requests, but when we put everything together, both the business and technical sides, it just didn't quite add up (yet anyways).

The hardware fragmentation really makes it challenging, both on the technical side (supporting all sorts of resolutions, memory configurations, etc) and the support side (X device exhibits a particular issue, etc).

On the business side, back when we looked, in-App purchases were not quite supported and we feel we would like to have the same experience on any platform, since that's what made the app successful. Latest Android has much better support for that, but then it limits our market to the latest Android versions, and we've seen that adoption of newer software releases is pretty slow.

We've also looked at feedback from other developers, and the general feeling is that it's difficult to make money on Android. Be it because of rampant piracy (something Google addressed in the latest Android by finally allowing encrypted apps), or because the average Android users doesn't expect to pay much for apps. We're on the business/billing side so the latter might not be as much of a concern.

For us, porting to anything other than Mac Desktop would entail a full rewrite. It would consume a lot of time and resources so we need to at the very least do our due diligence and at least get the feeling we can recoup the investment.

As Android matures and the adoption of newer versions grow, we'll revisit that decision. Obviously, if Google wants to send us a paid-for intern and some hardware over, the entire cost factor could be reduced enough to where making a port would be a no brainier.