PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Phil Jackson Blasts Lakers' Title Chances, Organization in Candid Interview

lefty
12-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Phil Jackson (http://bleacherreport.com/phil-jackson) and the Los Angeles Lakers (http://bleacherreport.com/los-angeles-lakers) almost became one and the same for the third time this season, but "almost" doesn't count. Nor do the Lakers count as a viable contender.
Not in Jackson's eyes, at least.
After being spurned by Los Angeles in favor of Mike D'Antoni, much has been made of the deteriorating relationship—if one even still exists—between the organization and the heralded coach.
Well, any doubt that Jackson felt slighted by the Lakers, as well as any hope of him ever returning to coach those who don purple and gold, has effectively been put to bed. By Jackson himself, in fact.
During a nice outside stroll with longtime girlfriend Jeanie Buss, the 11-time coaching champion provided some brief insight to TMZ Sports (http://www.tmz.com/2012/12/13/phil-jackson-los-angeles-lakers-i-would-not-return/) as to what he thought of the Lakers:

Phil Jackson says he doesn't want to return to the Lakers organization...even if they ask him...and to make things worse, Phil told TMZ he doesn't think the squad is championship material either.

Phil and his GF Jeanie Buss were out on a dinner date at Gjelina in Venice, CA last night...when we asked the Zen Master if he would be open to rejoining the team if things didn't work out with the Lakers current head coach Mike D'Antoni.

But Jackson has made it clear the door is closed...and when we asked if he thought the Lake Show still had a shot at an NBA (http://bleacherreport.com/nba) title this year, Jackson was brutally honest.
"Brutally honest" doesn't even begin to describe Jackson's laconic sentiments.
Though he noted that the Lakers would turn things around under D'Antoni, he dispelled the notion that the team was a title contender. He also responded "no" when asked if he would ever return to coach the organization.
http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/article/media_slots/photos/000/647/723/hi-res-158044512_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=440&q=85 Jackson does not believe in the D'Antoni-coached Lakers.
Stephen Dunn/Getty Images
Does this mean anything for the Lakers?
With regard to Jackson's future—or lack thereof—in Los Angeles, it doesn't mean much.
The Zen Master's assertion that he would never again return to coach the Lakers merely confirms what we have all assumed.
Los Angeles made it abundantly clear it was ready to move on from Jackson by passing over his proven blueprint for success. After two stints, five championship rings and a slew of controversy, the Lakers' intent to move away from the Jackon-infused era once and for all had never been more obvious than it was upon D'Antoni's hiring.
Jackson's answer only furthered that notion. The Lakers are done with him, and he is done with the Lakers. Case closed.
From a tactical standpoint, however, we can now add Jackson to the long—and continuously growing—list of basketball personalities who do not believe in D'Antoni or his current team.
http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/article/media_slots/photos/000/647/709/hi-res-109090841_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=440&q=85 Don't expect to see Jackson coach the Lakers again. Ever.
Streeter Lecka/Getty Images
Sure, Jackson admitted that they'll "get it going," but he was undeniably defiant in acknowledging them as a contender.
But again, does this matter?

Not much, if at all.
Do we really expect Jackson to openly support the franchise that condemned him and the coach that helped L.A. do it?
Absolutely not, so the Lakers shouldn't be surprised. Nor should prominent doubters be a foreign concept to them. After all, they have one of the most prolific makeups in the league, yet currently sit outside of the Western Conference's playoff picture.
So no, Jackson's affirmation that he will never coach the Lakers again and his nonexistent faith in them to contend doesn't mean the sky is falling any faster in Tinseltown.
All it means is that the Lakers now have one more critic who doesn't believe—one more cynic they must attempt to prove mistaken.

dunkman
12-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Phil should return to the Knicks.

baseline bum
12-13-2012, 04:41 PM
I want to see Phil take the Clippers to the Finals. Man, that shit would be hilarious (no way he'd beat Miami even with Philibeaner's incompetence though).

Clipper Nation
12-13-2012, 04:56 PM
I want to see Phil take the Clippers to the Finals.

So do I, but Vinny keeps winning too much... :lol

Maybe the Clippers should move Vinny to a front-office role and then hire Phil...

ElNono
12-13-2012, 05:01 PM
So there was no 'interview'... they just fucking ruined his dinner asking him about the Lakeshow.. :lol

baseline bum
12-13-2012, 05:04 PM
So there was no 'interview'... they just fucking ruined his dinner asking him about the Lakeshow.. :lol

Sorry son, that dinner would be tasting pretty damn good to me knowing I took the team to titles while my successors are putting the team in a Detroit Pistons like trajectory.

Ice009
12-13-2012, 05:10 PM
Do you have a link?

Mugen
12-13-2012, 05:15 PM
:lol lefty scrounging for Bieber news on TMZ and stumbling on bball related gossip

purplengold
12-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Phil ain't wouldda saved this team either, got systematic problems mo than ego ones.

DAF86
12-13-2012, 05:49 PM
I was actually expecting to see a literal quote, silly me.

UZER
12-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Phil doesn't coach lottery teams. He only coaches title contenders. No way he was going back to LA.

Stalin
12-13-2012, 06:34 PM

:lol

DMC
12-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Sorry son, that dinner would be tasting pretty damn good to me knowing I took the team to titles while my successors are putting the team in a Detroit Pistons like trajectory.

TOSB just doing what TOSBs do, eat dinner and ride the short Buss.

Latarian Milton
12-13-2012, 10:40 PM
phil is a possibility and i seriously doubt he would've ever left LA if he knew they could get DH tbh. last time he came back to lakers the team wasn't in a much better situation imho