PDA

View Full Version : Pop wanted to be a doctor?

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 11:13 AM
Shipley cheers on old friend in NBA Finals

Clif Knight, Hartselle Enquirer

http://www.hartselleenquirer.com/articles/2005/06/29/sports/sp2.txt

John Shipley of Hartselle and Gregg Popovich, head coach of the San Antonio Spurs, have something in common. They were teammates on the Merrillville High School basketball team in Gary, Ind. That was back in 1966. Shipley was a senior guard and Popovich a sophomore center. What is even more remarkable is that they're still friends and keep in touch.

"He was the center and I was a guard," Shipley said on Friday, the day after San Antonio won its third NBA championship in seven seasons. "It was my job to get the ball to him so he could score the points. He led us to a conference championship before he left home to play basketball for the Air Force Academy.

"The last time I talked to him in person was in Atlanta earlier this year at a Spurs vs. Hawks game," Shipley stated. "'You can call me a dumb butt if I don't win a championship this year,' he told me.

"I have kept up with Gregg's career as a coach since about 1985," Shipley pointed out. "And we have had contact with each other at least once a year since that time. When the Spurs won the NBA title in 2003, he sent me and my girlfriend a Spurs championship T-shirt.

"I plan to call him and extend my congratulations on his latest title win as soon as I can get through. He's only the third coach in NBA history to win three titles," Shipley added.

Popovich left high school wanting to become a medical doctor, according to Shipley.

"His basketball career took off after he led the Air Force team in scoring and he decided to try his hand at coaching after his military commitment was over," he said. "Ironically, he got his first coaching job at Kansas University when Larry Brown was head coach."

It was Brown's Detroit Pistons who fell to Popovich's Spurs in the playoff finals.

Shipley said Popovich is in a good a position to make another championship run in 2006, with all of his front line players signed to long-term contracts.

One of his key players is Robert Horry, a former player for The University of Alabama.

Horry, who has won six championship rings in the NBA, hit a game-winning three-point shot in the final seconds of Game 5 and scored 15 points in the championship game.

Shipley ended his basketball career in high school. He went on to attend Indiana State University and earn a master's degree in industrial management.

Following a successful career with National Homes, he entered semi-retirement and relocated to Hartselle from Clarksville, Tenn., five years ago.

FearDaDuncaN_SA
06-29-2005, 11:20 AM
Thanks for posting. That's really interesting to know.

Good to see that he still keeps in touch with his ol' High School buddy as well. :)

ObiwanGinobili
06-29-2005, 11:29 AM
It was a cute article.

But it got me wondering:
If I bump into Pop at Subway and drop my napkin, and he picks it up : do I get interviewed in a newspapre too??
It just seems like papers are really reaching for the "exclusive".

spurschick
06-29-2005, 11:31 AM
It's just hard for me to imagine Pop as a center. :lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-29-2005, 11:37 AM
Can you imagine Pop barking at somebody to lower their weight like he barks at Tony on the sideline?

ShoogarBear
06-29-2005, 01:27 PM
It's just hard for me to imagine Pop as a center. :lol
I had the same thought.

But it explains why he loves 4-down so much.

blaze89
06-29-2005, 02:41 PM
I had the same thought.

But it explains why he loves 4-down so much.

I though the same thing too.