PDA

View Full Version : Blazers: It might be early, but Damian Lillard's night sure looks award worthy

tlongII
12-14-2012, 10:04 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2012/12/blazers_insider_it_might_be_early_but_damian_lilla .html

http://media.oregonlive.com/blazers_impact/photo/11991141-large.jpg

If not, the Trail Blazers’ Damian Lillard is coming pretty darn close.

With apologies to Anthony Davis in New Orleans, after what we witnessed here Thursday at the Rose Garden, the race for the league’s top rookie honor is on pace to be over before 2013.

In a season already filled with superlatives, Lillard waited until Thursday’s game against one of the best teams in the league, on national television, to showcase his finest work.

With an array of drives, dishes and deadly jumpers, Lillard finished with 29 points, 7 rebounds and 6 assists to help the Blazers beat the mighty San Antonio Spurs 98-90.

That it came against a noted point guard like Tony Parker, and against one of the best team defenses around in the Spurs, and on a stage where Charles, Kenny and Reggie could take note, well, that only helps cement what others have been saying for the past month:

The kid is legit.

Hall of Famer Reggie Miller, who called the game for TNT, stopped short of handing the award to Lillard, but as he waited for his Town Car, he left impressed.

“This doesn’t cement it, he has a long way to go, but it helps in his development,’’ Miller said. “What I like is he spent four years in college (at Weber State). A lot of that is missing with these players, who like to be one-and-dones. It says something for guys who stay all four years, because you can see he has all the tools.’’

I know it’s preposterous to declare a winner for the award in December, with 60 games remaining. But Davis, who is Lillard’s top competition right now, has played in only eight games because of injuries. The No. 1 overall pick is averaging 15.0 points, 7.8 rebounds and 2.1 blocks. The next in line is probably Cleveland’s Dion Waiters, who is averaging 15.2 points and 3.4 assists.

Lillard is averaging 18.9 points and 6.4 assists, both best among rookies. He also probably has the best rookie performance on national television this season, which helps when sportswriters and sportscasters cast their Rookie of the Year votes in the spring.

“Obviously, to have a win against San Antonio, on national television is good for the team, good for everybody,’’ Blazers coach Terry Stotts said. “But we have a long way to go, 60 games. But I think it helps, and I think he is the best rookie in the league right now.’’

It didn't start out like a memorable night for Lillard. He got two fouls in the first seven minutes of the game, sending him to the bench with 2 points and 1 assist. Over his next 33 minutes, Lillard would be whistled for only one more foul.

“When he picked up two quick fouls, he could have got frustrated,’’ Miller said. “But he showed poise. He figured out a way to stay on the floor. A lot of young players don’t know how to do that.’’

Said Stotts: “Like most of the year, he was pretty much unfazed by foul trouble.’’

There are still holes in Lillard’s game. He needs to be a better defender, particularly in getting back in transition and in not allowing himself to be picked off so easily by screens. And he can improve on his shot selection when he penetrates.

But the kid has been as advertised and more since general manager Neil Olshey took him with the No. 6 overall pick. He shoots with such ease. He finds teammates. He battles. And he has a wonderful head on his shoulders that is composed, driven, and humble.

San Antoni coach Gregg Popovich, who is not easily impressed, said he loves Lillard's approach.

"I think he is a wonderful player,'' Popovich said. "His skills are obvious, but I like his demeanor as much as I like his skills. He really plays within himself. That doesn't mean he doesn't play hard. He's aggressive and not afraid of contact, but he's a real fine demeanor and understanding of what's going on our on the court and how to take advantage of situations.''

So yeah, it’s too early to give Lillard the trophy. But it might not be too early to say he is going to win it.

tp2021
12-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Why do you start all these trash threads about the same shit and then you don't even comment in them?

Killakobe81
12-14-2012, 12:23 PM
With unibrow hurt its his award to lose ... But even if Davis was healthy looks like your FO got one right.

Richie
12-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Just waiting for his knees to fall apart