PDA

View Full Version : Spurs and Patriots

austinfan
06-29-2005, 11:22 AM
Hadn't seen this article yet on spurstalk. Apologies if it's already been posted:

Spurs, Patriots Have Formed a Winning Alliance

David Aldridge, Philadelphia Inquirer

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/football/11988763.htm

SAN ANTONIO, Texas - One of the most interesting of alliances is taking place between two championship organizations, each of which has captured three world championships in a viciously competitive sport and stands atop its respective league.

Each is run by a no-nonsense coach with a military background who is much more complex than the martinet image he projects.

Each has a second-in-command of understated brilliance, more than happy to stay in the shadows and defer to the public leader while creating an organization with a single voice and philosophy that centers on a "culture" of shared sacrifice.

Each has a superstar as selfless as he is talented who is adored by his teammates, not resented.

The parallels between the San Antonio Spurs and New England Patriots are numerous and striking. And each is intimately aware of it.

Over the last couple of years, the management teams of the Spurs and Patriots have grown close. Though they've never actually met, their top executives - Spurs general manager R.C. Buford and Patriots vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli - are in constant contact with one another via e-mail and telephone, sharing ideas and philosophies about building and maintaining winning franchises.

"I try to read everything I can about them and respect the hell out of the way they've done things," Buford said of the Pats during the NBA Finals.

The genesis of the relationship is found with a third organization, the Cleveland Indians. That team's general manager, Mark Shapiro, is a close friend of both Pioli - whom he met when Pioli was with Bill Belichick and the Cleveland Browns in the mid-1990s - and Danny Ferry.

Shapiro has known Ferry since the two met as teenagers in the Baltimore area while Ferry's father, Bob Ferry, was the general manager of the Washington Bullets.

When Danny Ferry, now the Spurs' director of basketball operations, played in Cleveland with the Cavaliers, he and Shapiro grew closer.

"There's been a lot of sharing between R.C., Mark Shapiro, myself and [Spurs director of player personnel] Sam Presti," Pioli said in a telephone interview. "We haven't had a chance to get the coaches and managers together, but the rest of us communicate at different points in time. There definitely has been some crossover in philosophical concepts of team building."

"There are definitely transferables in identifying, selecting talent and building a team," Shapiro said by telephone. "But there are very different conditions within collective-bargaining agreements, revenue situations, that definitely influence the carrying out of that... . The exchange is only beneficial."

If there is a template that the organizations each share about building a winning organization, it's this: A player's ultimate contribution to a team has much more to do with his character than his skill set.

"It's what kind of guy he is," Ferry said. "It's not just the guy throws 90 m.p.h. What's his makeup? And how can we build? When I was playing, [seeing] my dad doing it, meeting someone like Mark and being in the Spurs' organization, made me want to be in management."

Said Pioli: "We're not just collecting talent. There's a lot of things that they look for in people in terms of intangibles that are the same things we look for. They look for people who care about winning. A lot of people say they care about winning. Not everyone does."

Both Buford and Pioli share a close, longtime relationship with their respective coaches, Gregg Popovich and Belichick. They know what kind of players will mesh with their coaches and which ones they should stay away from.

Pioli knows that guys who don't love football won't last long with Belichick, who learned the game at the knee of his father, Steve, a 33-year coach at the U.S. Naval Academy. Popovich, the U.S. Air Force graduate, remained patient with Buford while he remade the Spurs' first championship team around Tim Duncan, even as the Spurs lost some heartbreaking playoff series to the Lakers.

"Pop allowed that to happen," Buford said. "Most coaches, they'd say, 'We have to do this now. I need to know what my team's going to be the next three or four years.' He never did that. He accepted the plan and allowed it to take place."

Shapiro went to Detroit during the Finals to see Ferry and the Spurs play their pivotal Game 5 against the Pistons. Pioli was returning from a family outing in Arizona and wasn't able to make it but watched on television. Within minutes of Robert Horry's game-winning and series-turning three-pointer, Pioli had fired off a congratulatory e-mail to Buford.

"My wife couldn't care less about the NBA," Pioli said. "But she sat up and watched Game 5 with me. She got very frustrated when the game went into overtime. But she gets it now."

The Spurs and Patriots are also keenly aware of their good fortune. Duncan should be playing for the Celtics, adding to their collection of championship banners. But for the luck of a Ping-Pong ball, the Spurs could be playing in Vegas right now. And the Patriots certainly didn't know what they were getting when they took Tom Brady with the 199th pick of the 2000 draft.

But they've maximized their teams around those superstars. And they aren't too proud or satisfied not to take advice from another winner.

"We both think we can learn from each other," Buford said.

samikeyp
06-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Nice find. :)

mookie2001
06-29-2005, 11:25 AM
hopefully the pistons will be tampa bay after next season

WayDowntownBang
06-29-2005, 11:44 AM
Can one of these guys given William Clay Ford, the Detroit Lions owner, a phone call? Maybe Mike Illich (the Detroit Tigers)?

Even if it's a prank call, maybe the mojo will carry through the phone lines?

Ishta
06-29-2005, 12:23 PM
Can one of these guys given William Clay Ford, the Detroit Lions owner, a phone call? Maybe Mike Illich (the Detroit Tigers)?

Even if it's a prank call, maybe the mojo will carry through the phone lines?http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/lmao.gif

ShoogarBear
06-29-2005, 01:25 PM
Joe D. should just give them a call. His mojo is pretty good.

Jimcs50
06-29-2005, 01:34 PM

Even if it's a prank call, maybe the mojo will carry through the phone lines?

Detroit is just as good an organization as these two.

No need for a phone call.

duncan_21
06-29-2005, 03:58 PM
It's kind of amazing that in the 3 major sports alot of the teams that win their respective pro sports are more team oriented then selfish superstar laden teams of old.

All you have to look at is the spurs, pistons, pats, angels, marlins. Of course there are always exceptions like the yankees and lakers.

It looks like you have to find a star who is modest a la brady, duncan and surround them with guys that fit a role who are hard working and coachable who also happen to love the game.

Seru Giran
06-29-2005, 04:56 PM
Though they're great, I hate the Patsies. (Bills fan here)

FearDaDuncaN_SA
06-29-2005, 05:37 PM
Said Pioli: "We're not just collecting talent. There's a lot of things that they look for in people in terms of intangibles that are the same things we look for. They look for people who care about winning. A lot of people say they care about winning. Not everyone does."

They know what kind of players will mesh with their coaches and which ones they should stay away from.

Now that is a formula!!!
It all meshes!
And if it doesnt fit the puzzle, it doesnt fit the puzzle.
No use trying to force a puzzle peice where it doesnt belong.
It'll just cause one ugly flaw......

FearDaDuncaN_SA
06-29-2005, 05:55 PM
It's kind of amazing that in the 3 major sports alot of the teams that win their respective pro sports are more team oriented then selfish superstar laden teams of old.

Aint that right?

The Spurs work as a team!

One of many examples, I think it was Game Seven and Manu had the ball. He was going into the paint. But, he was having a bit of trouble.
With several Pistons in the paint, it would have been difficult for him to score.
If you listen closely, you can hear Horry say,"Here!"
And Manu passes him the ball.
Next thing that happens....Horry scores a three pointer!

Swish!

The Spurs definately work as a team. I dont think the word "selfish" even crosses their minds in the locker room and beyond.

And the Spurs do obtain a superstar that is selfless, talented, and adored by his teammates, not resented.

For instance, Tim Duncan!

When he won MVP, you see the Players supporting the decision and you see several raising thier arms for louder cheers!
Sure, SOME Spurs fans may have been upset at the decision.
And sure, SOME Spurs fans thought that there should have been a CO-MVP and what not.(Think Manu)
But, if you think about it, Tim deserved it. So, Congrats to the guy!

Tim is the leader of that team.
All the players have said so in one way or another.
And Tim is selfless.

He is the leader. But, he isnt controlling the Spotlight. He isnt the only play maker.
And he knows this. And he gives credit where credit is due. (Standing ovation!)

That's why I love, love, love the comment he made. Read below: ;)

FearDaDuncaN_SA
06-29-2005, 05:59 PM
"This trophy is definitely an honor, but this team has so many MVPs," Duncan said. "We fought for this thing. It was incredible."

pooh
06-29-2005, 06:53 PM
Right now between the two teams (Spurs and Pats) the edge goes to the Pats. Mainly because they came basically out of nowhere and became the mini-dynasty they are right now. And they've won back-to-back titles as well.

50 cent
06-29-2005, 07:09 PM
Where do the Pacers fit into that equation Pooh?

Oh wait, THEY DON'T.

:lmao

samikeyp
06-29-2005, 07:48 PM
I don't think this was a contest...rather a comparison of the parallels between the two organizations.

duncan_21
06-29-2005, 07:53 PM
Obviously the pats have done better in the last four in their respective league. But in the LAST 7 years there is not a single team with a better winning % among the 3 major sports and hockey.

However the pats are a modern dynasty, IMO the spurs are not. If the spurs win the next one and the pats don't, the spurs are a dynasty and a better one then the pats.

But this thread is not about the competition but about the similar aspects of each organization.

pooh
06-29-2005, 09:19 PM
Where do the Pacers fit into that equation Pooh?

Oh wait, THEY DON'T.

:lmao

I wasn't evening mentioning the Pacers Mr. 1/2 dollar. Both organizations right now are equal in many aspects with the exception of the two that I mentioned.

FearDaDuncaN_SA
06-29-2005, 09:22 PM
Anyway, what will the people say when the San Antonio Spurs win the Championship Title next year! ;)

DesiSpur_21
06-30-2005, 05:08 AM
David Aldridge is a nice guy - I wonder he quit ESPN on his own or it's just that ESPN wanted to keep the likes of Steph.A, G Anthony etc..Losers..

adrien
06-30-2005, 08:54 AM
What an awesome year for me :
- Spurs fan
- Red Sox fan
- Patriots fan

Unfortunately, the Paris soccer team sucks.
I am really thinking about getting the American citizenship.

SpursDork
06-30-2005, 09:02 AM
I love the NFL Spurs, too.

What an awesome year for me :
- Spurs fan
- Red Sox fan
- Patriots fan

Unfortunately, the Paris soccer team sucks.
I am really thinking about getting the American citizenship.

Why don't you follow Thierry Henry's Arsenal team? Didn't they win the Champions League this year or something like that? Sorry, I'm a little daft when it comes to Euro football :p