PDA

View Full Version : Repeat hopes depend on ONE THING..

2centsworth
06-29-2005, 11:42 AM
signing Robert Horry. Will Miami offer him the entire MLE? Robert might leave to be the only player to win a championship with 4 different teams, more money and a chance to be even more of a legend.

This worries me the most.

spur219
06-29-2005, 11:43 AM
If he leaves it will be for Miami.

spurschick
06-29-2005, 11:50 AM
For what it's worth, over the past few days he has said that he doesn't plan on leaving the Spurs. He said it this morning on Regis and Kelly.

Summers
06-29-2005, 11:50 AM
I'm not sure I agree that another championship hinges on Horry. I love Rob, and think he was HUGE for us in this series, but we have a great roster and a deep bench.

Having said that, he's pretty said he wants to stay in SA for another year or two, then retire. Yea us! :)

2centsworth
06-29-2005, 11:52 AM
I'm not sure I agree that another championship hinges on Horry. I love Rob, and think he was HUGE for us in this series, but we have a great roster and a deep bench.

Having said that, he's pretty said he wants to stay in SA for another year or two, then retire. Yea us! :)
Forgot, he has the best chance of front office/coaching position with the spurs.

samikeyp
06-29-2005, 11:53 AM
Forgot, he has the best chance of front office/coaching position with the spurs.

assuming that is what he wants.

travis2
06-29-2005, 11:54 AM
If he leaves it will be for Miami.

Why?

When he came here, he only wanted to play here or in Houston (because of his daughter). I can't see him going to Miami.

Gino2882
06-29-2005, 11:54 AM
When does FA officially start? The 16th?

Teams can re-sign their own players starting July 1st right?

easjer
06-29-2005, 11:56 AM
He'll only go someplace that he can win a championship. He would prefer to stay in Texas, because his family lives here in Houston. He's less interested in the $ than another ring, and prefers not to play lots of minutes in the season.

He only considered Miami and SA last year, and Miami's championship hopes are dwindling as long as they are pinned on Shaq and DWade is the only real threat. They need a better PF and they'll need to replace the SF and SG not too far down the line, as it is an aging team.

He'll stay in SA.

But if our hopes are pinned solely on an aging back up pf who is inconsistent in his shooting (but still usually manages to come up with big time shots) then the Spurs are in trouble. Horry is fabulous, a great player, I love him, but he's not going to get any better, and probably won't be able to play in three years.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 11:57 AM
When does FA officially start? The 16th?

Teams can re-sign their own players starting July 1st right?

Teams can start talking to free agents (their own and others) on July 1, but no one can sign until the July moratorium period is up. This season the moratorium has been extended through July 22nd.

Sense
For what it's worth, over the past few days he has said that he doesn't plan on leaving the Spurs. He said it this morning on Regis and Kelly.

Yeap, and he said it confident...

easjer
assuming that is what he wants.

He has indicated that he hopes to play one or two more years (depending on things like his shoulder), and then take a coaching or scouting position.

2centsworth
06-29-2005, 12:06 PM
But if our hopes are pinned solely on an aging back up pf who is inconsistent in his shooting (but still usually manages to come up with big time shots) then the Spurs are in trouble. Horry is fabulous, a great player, I love him, but he's not going to get any better, and probably won't be able to play in three years.
I liked your post up to this point.

1. He is aging but his shot is anything but inconsistent.

2. Nobody is talking about three years, I'm talking about next year.

easjer
06-29-2005, 12:23 PM
My claim of inconsistency is based on his performances in Game 5. I know how crazy that sounds - but dude couldn't hit anything for the first three quarters. It happens. It happens to everyone. Clearly, he came up with his big shots in the fourth. And that made me happy. I'll take the inconsistency for the big shots as a trade anyday.

I concede your second point. My only counter to that is that he's not getting younger or better and I would prefer the Spurs find something more reliable than an aging three point hotshot. It makes me anxious to pin our championship hopes on that.

That being said, I agree wholeheartedly with wanting him resigned for next season. I am comfortable enough to believe he will be. And I assume Scola will be adequate to fill in beyond the season.

Ishta
06-29-2005, 12:27 PM
Horry will stay in San Antonio for all of the reasons listed above..I have complete confidence that the front office will not let him get away. He's great for the team, and WHEN he does retire as a Spur, I'm sure they will have a job for him here.

samikeyp
06-29-2005, 12:28 PM
That Tim Duncan guy might have something to do with it too. :)

johndraegerhhs
06-29-2005, 12:32 PM
yea

easjer
06-29-2005, 12:58 PM
Dirk? As in Dirk Nowitski?

Are you serious?

:lmao

OMG, give me whatever you are smoking! You should be a fucking stand up comedian! I don't think I've laughed so hard in weeks!

ObiwanGinobili
06-29-2005, 01:04 PM
You can kiss your repeat hopes goodbye without horry who shoulda been mvp of the finals and not the league's no. 3 best PF behind KG and Dirk.

I double checked, but yeah this is Spurstalk.com not the SIforkids forum.

Spursdaone
06-29-2005, 01:18 PM
Robert Horry would make a difference as much as any scrub. Miami can have him.

midgetonadonkey
06-29-2005, 01:36 PM
You can kiss your repeat hopes goodbye without horry who shoulda been mvp of the finals and not the league's no. 3 best PF behind KG and Dirk.

How many rings do those two guys have between them? Even better, how many finals appearances?

Fucking Dildo.

2centsworth
06-29-2005, 01:41 PM
How many rings do those two guys have between them? Even better, how many finals appearances?

Fucking Dildo.
he's trying to get a rise out of you. You'll see a lot of trolls do that here because it works great on the typical defensive spurs fan.

Best to just ignore him like the spurs ignore most of the teams they play. It's all about us.

Spurminator
06-29-2005, 01:43 PM
I don't see Horry going to Miami... It seemed like he felt a bit underappreciated by Shaq and Kobe during his tenure there. Plus, he lives in Houston, so he'd be moving further away.

The Spurs would have to give him an insulting offer for him to relocate, IMO.

Spursdaone
06-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Does it really matter that much? Horry can get his usual 8 points and 6 rebounds somewhere else.

fraga
06-29-2005, 02:00 PM
Please don't feed the Trolls....

GrandeDavid
06-29-2005, 02:02 PM
Hopefully at least Luis Scola, assuming he comes forth, would be able to counter such a loss. But, yeah, it would be nice for Horry to stay.

Spursdaone
06-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Spurs will be just as good with or without Horry. They just play Mohammad more at the 5 which will help out on defense and rebounding more.

tlongII
06-29-2005, 02:24 PM
The Spurs are good enough to repeat without Horry. If Larry Brown leaves Detroit I believe the Pistons will be in trouble and they are your main competition.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2005, 02:59 PM
Miami is going to blow the MLE on Haslem most likely. No worries.

Don't discount Horry's importance to the team.

2centsworth
06-29-2005, 03:14 PM

I hope so.

jcrod
06-29-2005, 03:47 PM
He was big in certain spots, but the Spurs didn't get there because of him and he really only had one big game (5). If he doesn't come back, it won't affect their chances of repeating.

midgetonadonkey
06-29-2005, 04:11 PM
I think losing Brown would be a bigger blow than losing Horry. He was nice in the playoffs but I think it would be a bad idea to spend too much on him. I wouldn't risk losing Scola and Brown to keep Horry.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2005, 04:14 PM
Did you guys even watch the playoffs this season?

nkdlunch
06-29-2005, 05:01 PM

KG is only better than TD at crying.

and Dirk???? he's an angry german.... please :rolleyes

ZStomp
06-29-2005, 05:33 PM
I have been an Horry fan since he arrived in SA.

That being said. If he leaves SA- it won't be the end of the world.

2centsworth
06-29-2005, 06:01 PM
Did you guys even watch the playoffs this season?
Apparently not, how soon they forget the daggers in Denver especially the one off the steal. All I heard out of Phoenix was BIG Shot Rob. Plus, without Robert the spurs do not beat Detroit.

midgetonadonkey
06-29-2005, 06:27 PM
I don't think anyone here is saying that he wasn't important this post-season. It's just that losing him won't be the end of our franchise and won't give them an less of a chance of winning next year.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2005, 06:37 PM
It's just that losing him won't be the end of our franchise and won't give them an less of a chance of winning next year.Yes and no.

Horry For 3!
06-29-2005, 06:41 PM
signing Robert Horry. Will Miami offer him the entire MLE? Robert might leave to be the only player to win a championship with 4 different teams, more money and a chance to be even more of a legend.

This worries me the most.
No, Horry will be staying with the Spurs for another 2 - 3 years. He won't be leaving Texas for sure because he wants to be near his daughter who is in Houston.

FearDaDuncaN_SA
06-29-2005, 10:23 PM
I know this is totally off subject. But, I wanted to find out if Horry was originally from Texas.
It turns out that his dad has been in the Army for over 22 years and that he was born in Hartford, Maryland.
He married Keva on July 5, 1997 in Harris County, TX. Both were 26 years of age.

He started with the Houston Rockets and played there through the 1995-96 season, traded to the Pheonix Suns for the 1996-97 season. The Lakers picked him up in a trade January 10, 1997 and stayed with them through July 2003. On July 23, 2003, Rob signed as a free agent to the San Antonio Spurs.
He was named to the NBA All-Rookie 2nd team in the 1992-93 season and has won 6 NBA Championships, 2 with the Rockets and 3 with the Lakers and 1 with the Spurs.

There is an Official Robert Horry Day in Alabama on August 2nd.

The following info is from the Rockets Yearbook 1992
Fave TV Shows: CSI, Alias and The Practice
Also watches My Wife and Kids, 8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter
Guilty Pleasure: Snickers
Fave Video Game: Dead to Rights
Backup Career: Teacher
Most influential person in my life: My parents
Favorite Food: Shrimp
Favorite Vacation Spot: Daytona Beach, FL
Advice for Others: Don't sweat the small stuff
Person I'd like to be for a day: Martin Luther King, Jr.
Best moment in basketball: When I was drafted by the Rockets
Favorite Movie: Boomerang
Most prized possession: Life
Favorite Color: Midnight blue
My Hobbies: Video games, shopping, collecting hats
Favorite Book/Author: Removable Colors
Favorite Arena in the NBA: America West Arena
Favorite Charity or Cause: The homeless
Life after basketball: Live on a lake and fish
How I want to be remembered: As a quality person

----------------------------------------------

As far as a repeat is concerned, I'm sure the Spurs can manage without him. But, who wants Horry to leave? It seems like only yesterday, when he arrived!

DesiSpur_21
06-30-2005, 04:51 AM

Exactly - and going by Horry's words his personal intention is not to go anywhere else. I'd think Spurs are going to offer him a decent money to stay.