PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies: Grizzlies lose third straight

racm
12-15-2012, 01:26 AM
That hot start in November was probably fool's gold, tbh... 5-4 on the road, unsurprisingly they've started unraveling after losing to the Spurs to start December :downspin:

0-1 in the Hollinger era.

ElNono
12-15-2012, 01:31 AM
R:loldy G:loly

racm
12-15-2012, 01:35 AM
Gay makes Kobe look like Manu in terms of TS%, tbh

Clipper Nation
12-15-2012, 01:40 AM
:lol Grizzlies
:lol Everybody riding their dick because :cry they're winning without superstars :cry
:lol Trollinger

racm
12-15-2012, 01:42 AM
:lol Grizzlies
:lol Everybody riding their dick because :cry they're winning without superstars :cry
:lol Trollinger

Son how does it feel to be third in the West

HI-FI
12-15-2012, 01:42 AM
good win for the Nuggets. i dig the makeup of their team, Iguadala should be happy he is in Denver and not shithole Philly. When big 3 era is over, I hope we can have similar athleticism.

Clipper Nation
12-15-2012, 01:45 AM
Son how does it feel to be third in the West
Almost as good as the one day we were 1st in the West :lol

racm
12-15-2012, 01:46 AM
good win for the Nuggets. i dig the makeup of their team, Iguadala should be happy he is in Denver and not shithole Philly. When big 3 era is over, I hope we can have similar athleticism.

Kawhi's a good start. Now only if Tiago threw it down more. :)

Almost as good as the one day we were 1st in the West :lol

When was that last season?

Clipper Nation
12-15-2012, 02:23 AM
When was that last season?

Nah, it was the night we beat the Spurs in SA a couple weeks back...

scanry
12-15-2012, 04:36 AM
Nah, it was the night we beat the Spurs in SA a couple weeks back...

Son the Clippers and the Spurs will neck and neck for the 2nd seed. But if Lebron hops on this Clippers team in 2014, it would be downright scary.

Clipper Nation
12-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Son the Clippers and the Spurs will neck and neck for the 2nd seed. But if Lebron hops on this Clippers team in 2014, it would be downright scary.
Not one, not two, not three...

DMC
12-15-2012, 10:07 AM
You folks react too easily on small sample sizes. The Spurs need one more loss to have 3 in a row as well.

It's meaningless at this point.

Brunodf
12-15-2012, 11:39 AM
:lolOverrated Team
:lolRudy Gay
:lolHollinger
:lolIf they had spurs schedule they would be under .500

JRHernandez88
12-15-2012, 01:04 PM
I'll take it. That teams not fools gold though, if there healthy they're gonna be tough in the playoffs... This is something we all know tho.

rayjayjohnson
12-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Proud of my Nuggs tbh. If they can keep it at 500 until this shitty schedule improves...

benefactor
12-15-2012, 02:09 PM
I don't know why anyone thinks this team is a contender. They have some size but they still rely on Rudy Gay. That should be all you need to know.

rayjayjohnson
12-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Spursfan has a lot of pent up grizz hate tbqh

benefactor
12-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Don't hate them at all tbh. It's like teams that rely on Kenyon Martin. There are some players that just aren't made to be major contributors on a championship team.

ElNono
12-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Hollinger's Analysis: -3 Wins

TheCultOfPersonality
12-15-2012, 04:17 PM
The thing with Rudy Gay is that despite his undeserved max contract he's not elite at anything and tbh has never was. Even the only thing that he's above average at (scoring) he's not elite at. He practically the same player he was 5 years ago. Not a good defender, poor handles for a small forward, low basketball IQ. BTW any play that involves Rudy Gay trying to go one on one beyond the 3 point line needs to be taken out of the playbook. It's amazing that it's not a strength of Rudy's and Hollins and Rudy keep going with it. The guy isn't LeBron, Durant, or even Pierce.

TheCultOfPersonality
12-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Proud of my Nuggs tbh. If they can keep it at 500 until this shitty schedule improves...
Congrats on the win. The Nuggets deserved it.

The Grizzlies usually struggles in Denver. I think they're 4-30 all time in the city of Denver.

Reck
12-15-2012, 05:08 PM
I would have at least waited until the Spurs played tonight before loling at the Grizz.

HI-FI
12-15-2012, 06:06 PM
so what are the chances of Nuggets winning this year? they have the personnel? if Spurs can't win it (it's possible but will take some miraculous shit), I'd rather Nuggets finally get over the hump than the North Dallas Sonics tbh.

Clipper Nation
12-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Nuggets don't have a superstar, and George Karl is no Larry Brown, so the chances of them winning it all are slim to none imho....

Spurs da champs
12-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Nuggets & Clippers are bad match ups for the Grizzlies.

So much Rudy Gay hate, the dude who's really overrated is Marc Gasol IMHO.

rayjayjohnson
12-15-2012, 06:24 PM
Congrats on the win. The Nuggets deserved it.

The Grizzlies usually struggles in Denver. I think they're 4-30 all time in the city of Denver.
The grizz manhandled the Nuggs last year. What's different this season?

HI-FI
12-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Nuggets don't have a superstar, and George Karl is no Larry Brown, so the chances of them winning it all are slim to none imho....
this is true, but I don't Karl is a bad coach either. Not great, but I think guys like him and play hard for him. They're an interesting team though, never able to get over the hump but always a bad matchup for some teams. I think Iguadala is a good fit there.

Suspect
12-15-2012, 07:03 PM
They fouled rudy gay at the end. Can't believe that wasnt called. I don't care for either team tho so oh well.

irishock
12-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Only San Antonio and OKC are contenders in the West. Nothing has changed from 2012 imo. East is now between Miami and NY.

DMC
12-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Memphis is a touch matchup for SA. That doesn't mean they are ringers, but then the Wiz beat Miami. Charlotte used to own LA even in their beasting years.

rayjayjohnson
12-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Memphis are still good. Spursfan shouldn't think this proves anything, grizz are still a nightmare matchup for the tosbs

Stalin
12-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Memphis are still good. Spursfan shouldn't think this proves anything, grizz are still a nightmare matchup for the tosbs

sup, rayray

rayjayjohnson
12-15-2012, 08:09 PM
sup Stalin

TheCultOfPersonality
12-15-2012, 09:14 PM
The grizz manhandled the Nuggs last year. What's different this season?
The Nuggets lost 3 close games to the Grizzlies last season. This season the Nuggets are winning those close games against the Grizzlies.

TheCultOfPersonality
12-15-2012, 09:26 PM
The Jazz will probably beat the Grizzlies tonight.

But I do feel that the Grizzlies will beat the Bulls on Monday.

Malik Hairston
12-15-2012, 09:38 PM
:lol the Nuggets aren't even close to being a contender, relax, tbh..they are a horribly built team..

Memphis is a very good team, but like I said at the peak of their early season success, they still have too many holes, tbh..inconsistent bench and shooting, Rudy Gay, average coaching and Tony Allen hasn't been as beastly as previous years..

I'd still rather avoid them in the playoffs..best frontcourt in the NBA + one of the most underrated PGs in the NBA..

Clipper Nation
12-15-2012, 09:42 PM
The only scary things about the Grizzlies in the playoffs is the level of ref help they get and their cheapshotting ways... that being said, Lionel Hollins is not a good coach, and Rudy Gay will likely chuck the Grizz out of the playoffs early again....

rayjayjohnson
12-15-2012, 11:07 PM
:lol the Nuggets aren't even close to being a contender, relax, tbh..they are a horribly built team..

Memphis is a very good team, but like I said at the peak of their early season success, they still have too many holes, tbh..inconsistent bench and shooting, Rudy Gay, average coaching and Tony Allen hasn't been as beastly as previous years..

I'd still rather avoid them in the playoffs..best frontcourt in the NBA + one of the most underrated PGs in the NBA..

:lol look at this spurfaggot

They aren't contenders, but they're far from horribly put together.

Reck
12-15-2012, 11:13 PM

Nobody is disputing the fact the Memphis Grizzlies are good and have been a tough nut to crack as of late but nothing that the Spurs cant overcome.

People like yourself are making too much of that playoff series win against the Spurs. Prior to that and since the Spurs have oblitarated them. Tough matchup? Perhaps but far from a nightmare.

Malik Hairston
12-15-2012, 11:15 PM
Denver is a running team that can't shoot 3s, they have atrocious spacing..their perimeter players are all streaky shooters and their bigs don't have any range..

Their perimeter defense is good, but their overall team defense is poor..

They don't have any All-Star caliber players, let alone a star, tbh..

They are an easy team to exploit, they will get destroyed in the playoffs, assuming they even make it..

It's not surprising that one of the shittiest posters on ST is in denial though, tbh..

rayjayjohnson
12-15-2012, 11:17 PM
That series where the grizz buttfucked them? I don't know how you can't make a bunch from that, it was only two years ago and the grizz are a vastly better team now

rayjayjohnson
12-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Denver is a running team that can't shoot 3s, they have atrocious spacing..their perimeter players are all streaky shooters and their bigs don't have any range..

Their perimeter defense is good, but their overall team defense is poor..

They don't have any All-Star caliber players, let alone a star, tbh..

They are an easy team to exploit, they will get destroyed in the playoffs, assuming they even make it..

It's not surprising that one of the shittiest posters on ST is in denial though, tbh..
typical gnsf running his fag mouth

Reck
12-15-2012, 11:22 PM
That series where the grizz buttfucked them? I don't know how you can't make a bunch from that, it was only two years ago and the grizz are a vastly better team now

And the grizz have gone 0 and 5 since that beat down against the Spurs. What is your point?

rayjayjohnson
12-15-2012, 11:24 PM
And the grizz have gone 0 and 5 since that beat down against the Spurs. What is your point?
My point is that series is hardly irrelevant. How can you discount that last playoff series these teams meet in, especially when it's only two years ago.

6 playoff games mean more than 5 regular season ones tbh

midnightpulp
12-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Memphis is overrated vis-a-vis the evolving NBA. Pre-2011, they would be probably be the favorite to win the West, and maybe the title, but in today's game, with the way the top teams can spread you out and kill you with speed and shooting, I don't see Memphis' antiquated grind-it-out style and twin tower-centric offense/defense beating the Thunder, Clippers, or a healthy Spurs clicking on all cylinders. Though, Memphis vs. the Spurs is probably a 7 games series. Theoretically, the Spurs are a bad matchup for Memphis, but I don't trust Manu and Duncan's consistency at this stage of their careers, so in reality, it's anyone's series. And like the Spurs, Memphis lacks that guy who can average 25-30 over a playoff series against another contender.

rayjayjohnson
12-15-2012, 11:26 PM
Maybe, but they destroyed the heat playing that very style mid.

Clipper Nation
12-15-2012, 11:28 PM
Maybe, but they destroyed the heat playing that very style mid.

...in a one-game sample size, though... I strongly doubt the Grizzlies can beat the Heat in a full series, tbh...

rayjayjohnson
12-15-2012, 11:30 PM
...in a one-game sample size, though... I strongly doubt the Grizzlies can beat the Heat in a full series, tbh...
Probably, but even that one game sample means you can't discount their old, grind it out style of play

racm
12-15-2012, 11:31 PM
The thing with Rudy Gay is that despite his undeserved max contract he's not elite at anything and tbh has never was. Even the only thing that he's above average at (scoring) he's not elite at. He practically the same player he was 5 years ago. Not a good defender, poor handles for a small forward, low basketball IQ. BTW any play that involves Rudy Gay trying to go one on one beyond the 3 point line needs to be taken out of the playbook. It's amazing that it's not a strength of Rudy's and Hollins and Rudy keep going with it. The guy isn't LeBron, Durant, or even Pierce.

He's not even Melo. And I mean pre 2012 MVP candidate Melo.

Reck
12-15-2012, 11:34 PM
My point is that series is hardly irrelevant. How can you discount that last playoff series these teams meet in, especially when it's only two years ago.

6 playoff games mean more than 5 regular season ones tbh

Because it is irrelevant and so is your point.

You're putting too much stock on that series. Only thing that stands out from that series is that Spurs were seeded #1 and they were an 8th. Ilegitimate if I may say so.

Other than that hipcup, Spurs have domininated them in terms of winning percertage.

Furthermore, your arguement that they have gotten better since that playoff series is countered by the fact Spurs have had the upper hand when compared head to head.

racm
12-15-2012, 11:34 PM
Memphis is overrated vis-a-vis the evolving NBA. Pre-2011, they would be probably be the favorite to win the West, and maybe the title, but in today's game, with the way the top teams can spread you out and kill you with speed and shooting, I don't see Memphis' antiquated grind-it-out style and twin tower-centric offense/defense beating the Thunder, Clippers, or a healthy Spurs clicking on all cylinders. Though, Memphis vs. the Spurs is probably a 7 games series. Theoretically, the Spurs are a bad matchup for Memphis, but I don't trust Manu and Duncan's consistency at this stage of their careers, so in reality, it's anyone's series. And like the Spurs, Memphis lacks that guy who can average 25-30 over a playoff series against another contender.

You do realize volume scoring as a necessity for contention is pretty overstated, right? It's nice but spreading the scoring between two or three elite players will do.

The Spurs managed to win the game against OKC where Durant, Westbrook, and Harden all combined for more than 80 points. They lost when guys like Ibaka and Sefolosha hit double digit scoring.

rayjayjohnson
12-15-2012, 11:37 PM
Because it is irrelevant and so is your point.

You're putting too much stock on that series. Only thing that stands out from that series is that Spurs were seeded #1 and they were an 8th. Ilegitimate if I may say so.

Other than that hipcup, Spurs have domininated them in terms of winning percertage.

Furthermore, your arguement that they have gotten better since that playoff series is countered by the fact Spurs have had the upper hand when compared head to head.

Fuck I hate dismissive people who think that if they don't agree that point is wrong.

Arguing with people like you is like trying to fuck a pumpkin

racm
12-15-2012, 11:39 PM
Memphis tanked the last two games and the Spurs were the worst 1st seed in a decade. A hobbled Duncan and a one-armed Manu, tbh.

Reck
12-15-2012, 11:40 PM
Fuck I hate dismissive people who think that if they don't agree that point is wrong.

Arguing with people like you is like trying to fuck a pumpkin

So now that I exposed your weak arguement you try and make this about people who may or may not agree with you?

I dont have to agree with you to be right. In fact, its how things are. I'm not the one making it up.

Clipper Nation
12-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Probably, but even that one game sample means you can't discount their old, grind it out style of play

Their "old, grind it out style of play" led to two of the biggest playoff chokejobs in NBA history last year - the comeback in Game 1, and losing to the Clippers' bench in Memphis in Game 7... just sayin'... and that Clipper team was garbage compared to this year's team...

rayjayjohnson
12-15-2012, 11:46 PM
...and accordingly, the clips are legit this year.

rayjayjohnson
12-15-2012, 11:47 PM
So now that I exposed your weak arguement you try and make this about people who may or may not agree with you?

I dont have to agree with you to be right. In fact, its how things are. I'm not the one making it up.

What gives? You're not normally this pigheaded.

Reck
12-15-2012, 11:54 PM
What gives? You're not normally this pigheaded.

What do you mean homie? I'm just pointing out how things have gone down for those two teams since that series.

midnightpulp
12-15-2012, 11:59 PM

Yep. One game.

Hey, as a Spurs fan who was a long time believer in the twin-tower concept and a vocal critic of Pop's reluctance to pair Duncan with another 7 footer, I too was in the mindset of "best and biggest frontline" is what wins championships, since that's the way it's pretty much been since the inception of the NBA. But with the many rule changes implemented to speed the game up, with teams getting deeper and more athletic, and with swarming perimeter defenses replacing the more traditional "paint anchor" concept, having the best and biggest frontline (complemented, of course, by a good supporting cast) no longer guarantees a deep playoff run.

Dwight, the best defensive big in the NBA, looks like shit this year because teams can simply spread the slow ass Lakers out and leave him alone on island. And then if you try to pair Dwight with a similar big (see Gasol) to help lock down the paint, the opposing stretch 4, which all the top teams have, will be routinely open (exactly how Serge Ibaka killed the Spurs last year. Spurs were too slow to deal with the Thunder on the perimeter, forcing them to pack the paint to cut off penetration and the Thunder countered by going to Ibaka and Collision for open jumpers).

Last year, Ray's Nuggets, with their small, undersized forwards, almost beat the Lakers, who, by far, had the best frontline in basketball, with spacing, speed, and depth. A banged up, lite version of this year's Clippers beat Memphis (the second best frontline in basketball), and probably should've won the series in 5 or 6 games.

For better or worse, the NBA has changed dramatically in the past couple of years. The Lakers' repeat, won with a more traditional concept, was really the last gasp of a dying man.

rayjayjohnson
12-16-2012, 12:06 AM
What do you mean homie? I'm just pointing out how things have gone down for those two teams since that series.

i know, i just don't think that series can be ignored. both teams still have their cores intact, and both teams are probably better now (though let's not forget the spurs were 1 seed that season, and most spurfans here were already getting their rings sized)...

midnightpulp
12-16-2012, 12:11 AM
You do realize volume scoring as a necessity for contention is pretty overstated, right? It's nice but spreading the scoring between two or three elite players will do.

The Spurs managed to win the game against OKC where Durant, Westbrook, and Harden all combined for more than 80 points. They lost when guys like Ibaka and Sefolosha hit double digit scoring.

Spurs won that game, early in the series, on the backs of their role players. All fine and good. But as a series progresses, role players tend to disappear and you need your star(s) to pop for 35-40 points to carry you to a win as everyone else is choking.

The game in which Ibaka went off is a perfect example. Spurs would lose that game by 6. Tony Parker, the so-called MVP of the team, had 12 points on 5-15. Duncan chimed in with a solid 21 points on 9-17, the highest scorer on the team. Nice line indeed, but far from the 35 he could have dropped in his prime. That game specifically is one where the Spurs could've used a guy to counterpunch Durant's 36.

That's why I believe the Spurs will fall short this year once again. They have no superstar to ride when "team play" breaks down.

purplengold
12-16-2012, 02:44 PM
grizz gon fuckup with Gay's streaky ass but they solid team with good capabilities on both sides of court. they gon fall ta 2-4 seed when all said n done but have better chances than 1-2 seed