PDA

View Full Version : new here, any way the spurs can trade for paul millsap or al jefferson?

RD2191
12-15-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm new to this forum and was wondering if that was possible? I'm not sure how trades work.

Juggity
12-15-2012, 03:34 PM
undersized big men with little/no defensive prowess

just what we need

Johnsyounger
12-15-2012, 03:51 PM
I was daydreaming about Pau until I saw he was due 20 mil next season. Daydream over .....

AFBlue
12-15-2012, 04:01 PM
How trades work...

1. You have something they want
2. You match salary
3. Stern likes you enough to let it happen.

Answer: Spurs are screwed.

Richie
12-15-2012, 04:15 PM
One of them will surely be traded at some point. With Favors and Kanter, I don't see the Jazz wanting to resign both to long contracts this summer

cd021
12-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Yes, very possible. Utah can only realistically keep one while developing Kantor & Favors. Millsap already turned down a 3 year extension to test the market. With Atlanta, Houston & Cleveland with good cap space, Utah won't likely go past 3 years because Kantors is eligible for a extension after next season and Favors after this season. I'd expect Jefferson to be moved especially if they are 5 games out of the playoffs at the deadline.

Neal, Jackson, future 1st Round Pick and Cory Joseph for Paul Milsap or Al Jefferson.

cd021
12-15-2012, 04:28 PM
undersized big men with little/no defensive prowess

just what we need

Milsaps an good defender. Utah was much better defensively with him on the floor last season. Jefferson's post scoring coupled with Duncan's resurgence down low could prove an difficult out. Jefferson & Milsap already has a solid jumper and rebound well. Jefferson is an average defender if placed alongside Duncan (the best defensive player in the league) He could improve.

Raven
12-15-2012, 04:39 PM
none really.. a buyout for big al is the only chance.

Richie
12-15-2012, 04:44 PM
none really.. a buyout for big al is the only chance.

Unless you think they are going to resign both players, surely one will be traded or lost for nothing?

Brunodf
12-15-2012, 04:52 PM
No thanks, they are not good defenders

Mal
12-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Spurs can only trade for Millsap. He`s got reasonable contract and can be trade without moving Jax. But Spurs cannot trade their 1st rounder this year. And I wouldnt trade Neal, Splitter or Leonard for half year rent of undersize PF.

Raven
12-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Unless you think they are going to resign both players, surely one will be traded or lost for nothing?

well they may trade him to some other team, but they can't trade him to us cause we will not give them splitter or jax and we have no other possible contract big enough for a trade.

Spurs da champs
12-15-2012, 05:16 PM
Jefferson isn't undersized in this league, but I'd much rather have Misap, he's very versatile & better then all the other power forwards we have.

Of course neither would happen.

swaggerjackson
12-15-2012, 05:32 PM
I don't think that we get either one, but you have to go after Jefferson before Millsap. Millsap is a good player but he is essentially a very good energy player. Everyone would love to have him coming off the bench, but he is not the kind of player you build around. Jefferson on the other hand can have an offense run through him. He can carry a team because of his low post ability. He is a solid rebounder too. I don't know much about his ability to spread the floor, but even if he is a horrendous shooter you still have to like adding a player with such talent.

In terms of defense, he is certainly not known for being a solid defender but I would not be afraid of him being a major liability. For one thing he has had to carry his teams offensively which can be a major drain. Rarely does a single player serve as an anchor on defense and the focal point of the offense on a winning team (Thanks Tim Duncan). Jefferson has had to expend so much energy on offense maybe that has caused his defensive intensity to suffer. This would surely not be the case on the Spurs given our numerous scoring options. Also I feel like with the size he has and the style of playoff basketball, he will "naturally" become a better defender come playoff time. He has the body to bang down-low and if the desire is there, that is a scary player. My point is, while it is not likely that you become a drastically better ball-handler or shooter by just doing them with more intensity, it is very possible to become a significantly better defender by being more active. I would love big Al on the Spurs, but I don't see it in the cards just yet.

AFBlue
12-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Not that it's remotely plausible, but the people saying they wouldn't take either player are crazy or stupid. Do they realize Blair, Diaw and Bonner are the options at the 4?

Millsap would be everything that Blair could/should have been.

Richie
12-15-2012, 05:45 PM
We can of course just wait til the summer and hopefully sign one of them to a reasonable contract ($55m/4years) which will allow us to resign Jax, Splitter and Manu in the summer.

raybies
12-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Fart noise. Don't have players they want anyways. Utah would want young plrs. Likkawhi

Stump
12-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Not that it's remotely plausible, but the people saying they wouldn't take either player are crazy or stupid. Do they realize Blair, Diaw and Bonner are the options at the 4?
No, they're not. Trading for these players means giving up assets. It also means giving up capspace when we (presumably) resign them.

It's entirely reasonable to think 'no thanks'.

AFBlue
12-15-2012, 06:34 PM
No, they're not. Trading for these players means giving up assets. It also means giving up capspace when we (presumably) resign them.

It's entirely reasonable to think 'no thanks'.

The posters I referenced said things like "no defense" or "undersized", not "cost too much in young talent" or "potentially eat cap flexibility".

CGD
12-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Well what ever team is dealing with the Jzz will have most of the leverage since both are expiring contracts. The Jazz have to be reasonable in their demands if they want something good in return.

maverick1948
12-16-2012, 06:42 PM
there is a way for us to get Al Jefferson. It would take adding a 3rd team to make the trade work. It would likely cost us Diaw, Bonner and SJax plus a 2014 1st round pick and maybe another young asset(Mills?). The Jazz are stuck with the problem of resigning Jefferson, Millsap and Mo Williams. Plus they have 5 young players who in the next 3 years are going to be looking for money contracts.

As for Jefferson, he has patterned his offensive game after Duncan. So he would be a good fit in bball knowledge. As for defense, he has not played on a team the stresses D like Pop and the Spurs. I dont think would let the lack of D to start keep Jefferson out of the lineup. With Jefferson's desire to be like Timmy, Timmy could teach him defense in the last 2 years of his contract and we would have a smooth transition from Timmy to the future. I have always like Jefferson's game. One last thought, he might take less to play with Timmy than he would to be the 1st option on another weaker team.