PDA

View Full Version : Michael Finley

texasqb2
06-29-2005, 12:22 PM
This is the guy I'd love to have. I am unsure of this new CBA...let's say he gets waived and hes due 15 million next year by the Mavs. Some on here are saying you still receive the money in full you are owed? Who pays that? If he still gets his 15 million next year, wouldnt it be possible for him to sign a one year deal for the minimum for us or no?

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 12:25 PM
There's a bunch of other threads on this, but if someone is waived using this clause they'll get paid the full amount by their old team. So yes, hypothetically he could sign anywhere he wants for the minimum.

This summer, teams will be given a one-time opportunity to waive one player and eliminate luxury tax on any future contractual payments to that player. The salary will still count towards the cap, and payment will still have to be paid to the player according to the contract, but the team will not be subject to tax on that player’s contract

Duff McCartney
06-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Personally I don't think Finley can get his ego in check.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 02:15 PM
Finley is coming off ankle surgery and has bad hamstrings. I wonder if he'll be able to perform much this season.

nkdlunch
06-29-2005, 02:16 PM
nah, we don't need him

midgetonadonkey
06-29-2005, 04:23 PM
We don't need a guy that always fails to show up to the playoffs. Let the desperate teams take him i.e. Detroit and Miami

DDS4
06-29-2005, 04:25 PM
Damaged goods. Skip.

(And he's even on my lifetime fantasy basketball league.)

Horry For 3!
06-29-2005, 06:51 PM
No thanks. I don't want Finley here.

Vashner
06-29-2005, 06:54 PM
We don't need him...

cbrown
06-29-2005, 07:25 PM
IMO, Finley for the league Minimum is a no brainer. How could it hurt?

texasqb2
06-29-2005, 09:41 PM
There's a bunch of other threads on this, but if someone is waived using this clause they'll get paid the full amount by their old team. So yes, hypothetically he could sign anywhere he wants for the minimum.

Seems like this could enable an unhappy player to make life miserable for his team so he could get waived and paid twice...I dont like it

Dre_7
06-29-2005, 09:42 PM
Id LOVE to see him here for the minimum!!

Add even more depth to the bench!

CubanMustGo
06-29-2005, 09:52 PM
IMO, Finley for the league Minimum is a no brainer. How could it hurt?

He's old.
He's injured a lot.
He's not a team player.
He doesn't play defense.

How could it help? There will be lots of guys cut with this one-time cap saver, we should be able to do better.

wildbill2u
06-30-2005, 11:05 AM
Finley shot down Houston in one playoff game all by himself if I remember right. He can still shoot. Like a lot of offensive stars, I don't think he's ever been taught defense.

Mr. Body
06-30-2005, 11:10 AM
All things equal I'd much much rather have Big Dog back.

SenorSpur
06-30-2005, 12:25 PM
Remember, the reasons the Mavs are getting rid of him are more than monetary. If Finley was still worth his contractual value, the Mavs would retain him.

His ego will not allow him to accept the fact that his his knees, stats and game have all declined. He will not accept becoming a role player, which means he'll be a problem in the locker room. Also, the guy cannot defend anyone. You don't want that element on this team.

Word is Phoenix will be hot on his trail, when the Mavs cut ties with him. Let's move on.

spurschick
06-30-2005, 12:28 PM
Word is Phoenix will be hot on his trail, when the Mavs cut ties with him. Let's move on.

Because Phoenix is stupid enough to go after another guy who doesn't play defense.