PDA

View Full Version : Jeeps

ashbeeigh
12-16-2012, 11:34 PM
I just traded in my '04 Jetta for a -10 Jeep Patriot. I did a bit of research right before the purchase and did some more online when I got home. Have any of you all had one (or any Jeep) and if so what were your experiences with it? How was the maintenance? Oil changes? Any small(ish) things that came up that were a pain with them?

apalisoc_9
12-16-2012, 11:39 PM
I just traded in my '04 Jetta for a -10 Jeep Patriot. I did a bit of research right before the purchase and did some more online when I got home. Have any of you all had one (or any Jeep) and if so what were your experiences with it? How was the maintenance? Oil changes? Any small(ish) things that came up that were a pain with them?

You should known these before you traded your car. My friend has the same car only been used for two years and the brakes is already giving up..

TwAnKiEs
12-16-2012, 11:51 PM
I did Some searching on Jeeps a couple years ago, and I found most of them are shit when it comes to MPGs. My 2005 Silverado gets better MPGs than the Liberty my mother had... just my 2 cents

PakiDan
12-17-2012, 12:13 AM
Why did you choose a glow in the dark paint job!? Jeeeesh!

DD
12-17-2012, 12:33 AM
Aren't Jeeps a bitch on insurance?

blkroadrunners
12-17-2012, 01:16 AM
My father had a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee that had about 275,000 miles on it before it got rear-ended. It was a fairly reliable car. There was probably at least one occasion where he had to call roadside assistance for help (problems w/ the transmission).

My Jeep GC is a 2005, and I got it brand new. I've had some problems over the past couple of years (signal light glitches, engine light on, problems w/ the computer software), but it's knocking right at 150,000 miles now. The main problem I had w/ the cars was the cooling/heating unit. The first Jeep at one time needed FreeON, but there was actually a tear IIRC in the reservoir. We didn't bother getting that fixed. My current Jeep not too long ago was making this weird pounding/knocking noise whenever I turn the A/C unit on or off for about 5 seconds. Also, the A/C would still run slightly when turned on.

I haven't heard much about the Patriots (IIRC Consumer Reports were high on it one year, plus it doesn't look like that type of vehicle that's real pricey to maintain), but Jeep or even Chrysler vehicles for that matter seem like the type of vehicles that once they hit 100,000 miles, it's time to get a new vehicle.

ashbeeigh
12-17-2012, 07:25 AM
My father had a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee that had about 275,000 miles on it before it got rear-ended. It was a fairly reliable car. There was probably at least one occasion where he had to call roadside assistance for help (problems w/ the transmission).

My Jeep GC is a 2005, and I got it brand new. I've had some problems over the past couple of years (signal light glitches, engine light on, problems w/ the computer software), but it's knocking right at 150,000 miles now. The main problem I had w/ the cars was the cooling/heating unit. The first Jeep at one time needed FreeON, but there was actually a tear IIRC in the reservoir. We didn't bother getting that fixed. My current Jeep not too long ago was making this weird pounding/knocking noise whenever I turn the A/C unit on or off for about 5 seconds. Also, the A/C would still run slightly when turned on.

I haven't heard much about the Patriots (IIRC Consumer Reports were high on it one year, plus it doesn't look like that type of vehicle that's real pricey to maintain), but Jeep or even Chrysler vehicles for that matter seem like the type of vehicles that once they hit 100,000 miles, it's time to get a new vehicle.

Thanks for the reply. That was exactly what I was looking for. :)

I did Some searching on Jeeps a couple years ago, and I found most of them are shit when it comes to MPGs. My 2005 Silverado gets better MPGs than the Liberty my mother had... just my 2 cents

That was one of the first things i checked when I was waiting to test drive it. It was like 2 miles shy of the Jetta. I was kind of shocked.

[quote=DeadlyDynasty]Aren't Jeeps a bitch on insurance? [quote]

Actually, I was looking at similar cars to the Jetta and was quoted a $125 increase. The Jeep was only $80.

CavsSuperFan
12-17-2012, 09:19 AM
A Car Guy's Take

It sounds like you did good in all aspects…The Jeep Patriot was built for maximum cargo volume, rugged driving conditions and excellent utility…Most people buy them simply because they look cool..They are more maneuverable than large size SUV's like the Suburban or Expedition…They are excellent for the occasional trip to the snow…Since Jeeps merger with Chrysler they have undergone refinements and improved reliability…

Per my auto mechanic, “there is nothing complicated about the Jeep Patriot as compared to other American made SUV’s”…He buys a new one every two or three years & uses his Patriot as a shop car to pick up auto parts including small engines and transmissions…He routinely drives them for 200,000 miles before he trades them in on new ones…

Most cars take a huge hit with depreciation after two years so buying a low mileage used car is always a smart purchase…

ashbeeigh
12-17-2012, 10:13 AM
A Car Guy's Take

It sounds like you did good in all aspects…The Jeep Patriot was built for maximum cargo volume, rugged driving conditions and excellent utility…Most people buy them simply because they look cool..They are more maneuverable than large size SUV's like the Suburban or Expedition…They are excellent for the occasional trip to the snow…Since Jeeps merger with Chrysler they have undergone refinements and improved reliability…

Per my auto mechanic, “there is nothing complicated about the Jeep Patriot as compared to other American made SUV’s”…He buys a new one every two or three years & uses his Patriot as a shop car to pick up auto parts including small engines and transmissions…He routinely drives them for 200,000 miles before he trades them in on new ones…

Most cars take a huge hit with depreciation after two years so buying a low mileage used car is always a smart purchase…

Not gonna lie, I did partially buy it because it looked really cool. I glanced at some Fiestas (because I thought about getting something with extra ordinary mileage) but even one yeear old ones were the same price with about 15k more miles. Thank you for sharing your experience with them.

And to prove that it is a cool lookin' car here's a picture.

http://img-00.carmax.com/Images/9/44/8555944-1-5-de6df10a.jpg

cantthinkofanything
12-17-2012, 10:15 AM
I did some research on the Patriot. Fairly decent reviews overall. The only constant negative comment was that the odd positioning and angle of the gas and brake levers. On this alone, it's not recommended for anyone with pre-exisiting feet conditions. But for everyone else, it's probably a fine car.

Koolaid_Man
12-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Not gonna lie, I did partially buy it because it looked really cool. I glanced at some Fiestas (because I thought about getting something with extra ordinary mileage) but even one yeear old ones were the same price with about 15k more miles. Thank you for sharing your experience with them.

And to prove that it is a cool lookin' car here's a picture.

http://img-00.carmax.com/Images/9/44/8555944-1-5-de6df10a.jpg

^ :lol...perhaps more is needed than a bit of research

mrsmaalox
12-17-2012, 10:24 AM
I did some research on the Patriot. Fairly decent reviews overall. The only constant negative comment was that the odd positioning and angle of the gas and brake levers. On this alone, it's not recommended for anyone with pre-exisiting feet conditions. But for everyone else, it's probably a fine car.

:lol You're such a dork!

mrsmaalox
12-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Nice car Ash, I hope it works out well for you :toast

ashbeeigh
12-17-2012, 10:32 AM

Ha. I was noticing that. My foot was all messed up and now I'm using crutches.

mrsmaalox
12-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Ha. I was noticing that. My foot was all messed up and now I'm using crutches.

Then you'd better be extra careful-----my sister in law got run over by her own Jeep, lost a leg, and now has to drive it one-legged! True story. I suppose it's just a matter of time before that evil thing will go for her other leg! :wow

ashbeeigh
12-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Then you'd better be extra careful-----my sister in law got run over by her own Jeep, lost a leg, and now has to drive it one-legged! True story. I suppose it's just a matter of time before that evil thing will go for her other leg! :wow

I was kidding, silly!

CavsSuperFan
12-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Then you'd better be extra careful-----my sister in law got run over by her own Jeep, lost a leg, and now has to drive it one-legged! True story. I suppose it's just a matter of time before that evil thing will go for her other leg!

Sheesh Maalox, That is a nice happy story…Honda has reintroduced its CB, Air Cooled, 4 cylinder motorcycle…The Retro CB 1100…I have to have one simply because it looks cool! Tell me a happy story from an emergency room nurses perspective to reinforce my decision…:lol

mrsmaalox
12-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Sheesh Maalox, That is a nice happy story…Honda has reintroduced its CB, Air Cooled, 4 cylinder motorcycle…The Retro CB 1100…I have to have one simply because it looks cool! Tell me a happy story from an emergency room nurses perspective to reinforce my decision…:lol

Don't have any----those guys usually don't make it to the ER! :(

gameFACE
12-17-2012, 11:50 AM
I bought my 2002 Jeep Liberty new and I still have it. It's got around 215K miles. I have to say it is the best vehicle I have ever had. CHANGE THE OIL REGULARLY! I have had no major issues with the engine. None. My brother-in-law recently commented that it sounded new and the paint and interior are still in good condition. Only recently I had to replace the heater core ($$$). I also had to replace the ac compressor about three years ago as well as fix an electrical problem. But everything else was maintenance related (hoses, radiator flush, transmission service, etc). It's a fun/cool Jeep.

I was originally thinking of getting a VW Passat but I was a sucker for the Liberty's round headlights..........:hat

It looks like this:
http://www.breithaupts.com/n9jlibma.jpg

ashbeeigh
12-17-2012, 12:16 PM
I bought my 2002 Jeep Liberty new and I still have it. It's got around 215K miles. I have to say it is the best vehicle I have ever had. CHANGE THE OIL REGULARLY! I have had no major issues with the engine. None. My brother-in-law recently commented that it sounded new and the paint and interior are still in good condition. Only recently I had to replace the heater core ($$$). I also had to replace the ac compressor about three years ago as well as fix an electrical problem. But everything else was maintenance related (hoses, radiator flush, transmission service, etc). It's a fun/cool Jeep.

I was originally thinking of getting a VW Passat but I was a sucker for the Liberty's round headlights..........:hat

It looks like this:
http://www.breithaupts.com/n9jlibma.jpg

Aww, it's so cute. :)

Frank Dux
12-17-2012, 02:39 PM
I've driven a 2010 Wrangler Unlimited for the last few years. Mine looks likes the one below, although without the Sahara trim. The only problem I've had was a tail light that went out. I love this car and do a lot of off-roading in it. It absolutely dominates in the snow too (I live in Denver). My one complaint is the engine is under-powered for highway driving in the mountains and especially for the gas mileage. Jeep is finally offering a V-8 in the 2013 models though. Kinda wish I would have waited a few years and got the V-8, or a two-door Rubicon for about the same price. Oh well.

http://www.automedia.com/Content/Articles/Images/rts/rts20070501jw/2007-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-4-door_01.jpg?width=640&height=410

Viva Las Espuelas
12-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Wow. Baby Shit Green. Nice choice.

CosmicCowboy
12-17-2012, 06:22 PM
Wow. Baby Shit Green. Nice choice.

She is a wanna be MILF. with that color she can change the baby on the hood with no pad.

CosmicCowboy
12-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Oh, and to the original question, jeeps are a lot better mechanically than they used to be. Iv'e owned several over the years and it was a love/hate relationship. I rented one like Frank Dux has last summer in Hawaii and the wife was oohing and ahhing over it and wanting to trade out of her hard loaded Eddie Bauer Expedition for one for a daily driver on asphalt in Texas and I was like WTF? Have you lost your fucking mind?

Sportcamper
12-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Cosmic- If Obama implements a new auto stimulus program and gave you a 10k tax credit to buy a new Jeep, (preferably the Rubicon) you would be all over that….As would I…All Jeeps are Uber cool…:lol

CosmicCowboy
12-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Cosmic- If Obama implements a new auto stimulus program and gave you a 10k tax credit to buy a new Jeep, (preferably the Rubicon) you would be all over that….As would I…All Jeeps are Uber cool…:lol

4 door Rubicon with the double T tops is the ONLY one I would consider buying.

Das Texan
12-18-2012, 09:42 AM
I think it was the Jeep Patriot. (if not it was a similar jeep product)

They are not designed for anyone taller than 6 feet. Fuck them to fucking hell.

Of course when I was looking for a vehicle, made it easy to eliminate it from the start simply due to not being able to fit....

tlongII
12-18-2012, 07:47 PM
I used to have a 96 Jeep Wrangler. Bought it new. I loved it. It probably got 15-16 mpg, but I could drive over anything and I loved having the top down in the summer.