PDA

View Full Version : My Novel Published.

BillMc
12-17-2012, 12:32 AM
Hi friends. As I am a fairly regular on Spur Talk, I thought that some of you might be interested to know that my debut novel, Lenin's Harem, has been published in North America. (The international edition comes out on May 8th). This has been an eight year project leaving my home in the States, and living in Latvia, Estonia and Russia to write the book. (Along with a year studying writing in Manchester, UK). The book is being released by Knox Robinson Publishing, a small traditional British publisher.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/399204_567188996630193_1284849885_n.jpg

In simplest terms, the novel is about a young aristocrat swept up in the turmoil of World War I who finds himself a member of the elite Latvian Red Riflemen of the Russian Revolution (a group nicknamed "Lenin's Harem", nothing to do with a real harem by the way.) The aristocrat tries to survives the wars and class genocides of the times, adapting despite himself, and finally finding friendship with his fellow soldiers, love with a communist girl, only to face Stalin's purges in the 1930's. It is also, in many ways, the tragedy of the birth and death of the first Latvian State.

The novel has received very good reviews and endorsements from several well-known authors, historians, and the former dean of the CIA's Intelligence School called it "Enthralling" (as you can see on the cover.) I have a very good review coming out soon in the Providence Journal. I will be reading from the book at the Latvian Embassy to the United States in Washington D.C. on January, 23rd.

So, for those of you who might want to read a gripping story in the vein of Dr. Zhivago or All Quiet on the Western Front (about the land of Dāvis Bertāns, no less) I'd love to hear your opinions.

The books is available in hardback on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Lenins-Harem-William-Burton-McCormick/dp/190848344X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355717733&sr=8-1&keywords=Lenin%27s+Harem)
(http://www.amazon.com/Lenins-Harem-William-Burton-McCormick/dp/190848344X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355717733&sr=8-1&keywords=Lenin%27s+Harem)
And Amazon Kindle. (http://www.amazon.com/Lenins-Harem-ebook/dp/B00AJ9Q37Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355717733&sr=8-2&keywords=Lenin%27s+Harem)

Or you can get the epub file (pretty universal) directly from my publisher (just select epub on the item menu): (http://www.knoxrobinsonpublishing.com/product_info.php?products_id=120)

For more information check out my Author Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/William-Burton-McCormick/365316520150776#!/pages/William-Burton-McCormick/365316520150776)

Many thanks (and I apologize for the slightly sales-ish nature of this post!)

Best, Bill

DPG21920
12-17-2012, 12:34 AM
Wow, congrats :tu. That is a huge accomplishment and best of luck to you.

BillMc
12-17-2012, 12:38 AM
Wow, congrats :tu. That is a huge accomplishment and best of luck to you.

Many thanks!! (And the hardest part living over here? Keeping up with my Spurs!)

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-17-2012, 12:42 AM
Yeah, that's pretty amazing. Best of luck.

apalisoc_9
12-17-2012, 12:43 AM
Congratulations

I have a few friends who are into war books, would probably tell them about it.

BillMc
12-17-2012, 12:43 AM
Yeah, that's pretty amazing. Best of luck.

Thanks! I really appreciate it!

BillMc
12-17-2012, 12:44 AM
Congratulations

I have a few friends who are into war books, would probably tell them about it.

I would be honored if you did! :toast

DD
12-17-2012, 12:50 AM
I love WWI history and think it's underrepresented in both literature and film. Congrats on the publication, and I will definitely buy a copy.

BillMc
12-17-2012, 12:52 AM
I love WWI history and think it's underrepresented in both literature and film. Congrats on the publication, and I will definitely buy a copy.

Cheers, my friend! I'd be very grateful.:toast Let me know what you think, good or bad.

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-17-2012, 01:07 AM
So what was it like doing all that research and travel for the book? It must have been pretty cool.

BillMc
12-17-2012, 01:19 AM
So what was it like doing all that research and travel for the book? It must have been pretty cool.

It was an amazing experience. I moved to Riga knowing nobody. I didn't have an apartment or a job, and had to find all of those things and then set myself to researching. I studied some Latvian and some Russian (I'm still terrible at both) but just set myself to getting it done. I met wtih historians, museum curators, and went to every place depicted in the novel. It was really cool, but really challenging (and sometimes gripping since you're dealing with a lot of tragedies here.) After I had lived, I lived in Tallinn a few months, Moscow for another year and study at Moscow State University. That was difficult (and less an adventure than Latvia) but it was necessary to get the book right.

Sorry. Long-winded answer but it was amazing. Really special time in my life. I learned something everyday.

apalisoc_9
12-17-2012, 01:49 AM
It was an amazing experience. I moved to Riga knowing nobody. I didn't have an apartment or a job, and had to find all of those things and then set myself to researching. I studied some Latvian and some Russian (I'm still terrible at both) but just set myself to getting it done. I met wtih historians, museum curators, and went to every place depicted in the novel. It was really cool, but really challenging (and sometimes gripping since you're dealing with a lot of tragedies here.) After I had lived, I lived in Tallinn a few months, Moscow for another year and study at Moscow State University. That was difficult (and less an adventure than Latvia) but it was necessary to get the book right.

Sorry. Long-winded answer but it was amazing. Really special time in my life. I learned something everyday.

That's awesome.

I've always wanted to do something like that. when you moved to latvia how much money did you have with you? How difficult was it to find a job without knowing much about their language?

BillMc
12-17-2012, 01:56 AM
That's awesome.

I've always wanted to do something like that. when you moved to latvia how much money did you have with you? How difficult was it to find a job without knowing much about their language?

I didn't have a lot of cash. I had a background in two marketable things: computer science and teaching English as Second Language. I knew the former would pay much better, but it would eat up all my time. But teaching, if I swung it right, would give me time to write. But I had to be there first so I could choose my schools, rather than be dependent on one, who might not like that I only wanted to be part time so I could research and write a book. In the end, I ended up just doing freelance tutoring on my own schedule and writing short stories I could sell in America as supplmental income.

So, I killed my language disadvantage by making sure I worked in a field where English is all that mattered. Also, most people under 30 in Riga speak English. The language wasn't difficult for getting around (except in the countryside). It was just a hinderence for historical research since most things were written in Latvian or Russian.

I can say as hard as it was, it was great to live there. Riga is a fantastic city, especially in summer.

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-17-2012, 01:59 AM
Fucking awesome! Did you send Pop an advance copy?

Malik Hairston
12-17-2012, 02:00 AM
I'll buy a copy as well, tbh..

I've been writing for the past year as a hobby/passion and just recently decided that I'm gonna try to pursue it..any advice?(money is not a concern, FYI)..

The Reckoning
Grats! I'd bet the writing process is frustrating with constant internal battles, writer's block and mustering up the courage to put your work out there.

Traveling the world isn't too expensive as long as you live within your means. It's good to see someone who takes that step and doesn't look back.

:toast

Creepn
You got a digital copy? I read all my books on a tablet these days.

BillMc
12-17-2012, 02:01 AM
Fucking awesome! Did you send Pop an advance copy?

Ha! I didn't think of that! Maybe I should! He might even know my CIA endorser.:toast

I wonder how I could get it to Pop?

BillMc
12-17-2012, 02:04 AM
I'll buy a copy as well, tbh..

I've been writing for the past year as a hobby/passion and just recently decided that I'm gonna try to pursue it..any advice?(money is not a concern, FYI)..

Many thanks!

Yeah. Get it down on the page. Too many people leave it up in their minds and get distracted by life. Don't worry about making it good. You can edit later, just get a draft done. I know I tried for years to get a book done but girls, work, even the Spurs kept me from getting it finished. Also, write everyday even if its only for 20 minutes. Like brushing your teeth, don't skip it before you go to bed.

BillMc
12-17-2012, 02:07 AM
Grats! I'd bet the writing process is frustrating with constant internal battles, writer's block and mustering up the courage to put your work out there.

Traveling the world isn't too expensive as long as you live within your means. It's good to see someone who takes that step and doesn't look back.

Can be. Writers block I've had, putting your work out there is tough too. It takes years to get published (for most of us.) Many thanks! :toast

I completely agree, traveling the world isn't expensive if you do it right, you can see and live anywhere if you want it bad enough!.

BillMc
12-17-2012, 02:09 AM
You got a digital copy? I read all my books on a tablet these days.

You can buy the Kindle .mobi file on Amazon. That (I think) works on most tablets too.

Or you can get the epub file (pretty universal) directly from my publisher (just select epub on the item menu): http://www.knoxrobinsonpublishing.com/product_info.php?products_id=120

I really need to invest the time to figure out multi-quote responses. :)

Blake
12-17-2012, 02:15 AM
Incredible story behind the story.

BillMc
12-17-2012, 02:23 AM
Incredible story behind the story.

Cheers! :toast

Fpoonsie
12-17-2012, 02:38 AM
Terribly impressive.

Sometimes, I sit back after clicking "Post Quick Reply," supremely satisfied w/ my recent contribution to ST. You've effectively ruined that for me forever.

(Seriously, though. Congrats. Wow.)

BillMc
12-17-2012, 02:55 AM
Terribly impressive.

Sometimes, I sit back after clicking "Post Quick Reply," supremely satisfied w/ my recent contribution to ST. You've effectively ruined that for me forever.

(Seriously, though. Congrats. Wow.)

Thanks! :toast And, um, sorry. But you've 7000 more posts to Spurstalk than me, so I think I'm rather jealous of yours (and many others) contributions. I'm out of my depth with some of the great basketball posts I see on here.

Best, Bill

Juggity
12-17-2012, 03:04 AM
That's a great accomplishment, man.

I'm an aspiring writer myself. I hope one day to know the feeling of completing a novel.

BillMc
12-17-2012, 03:06 AM
That's a great accomplishment, man.

I'm an aspiring writer myself. I hope one day to know the feeling of completing a novel.

You will my friend, you will! (And it will be worth it.) :toast:toast

AussieFanKurt
12-17-2012, 03:09 AM
Good work mate, I will buy and read over xmas if possible.

BillMc
12-17-2012, 03:22 AM
Good work mate, I will buy and read over xmas if possible.

Many thanks. :toast But it doesn't come out in Australia until May 8th. If you get a hold of a copy sooner, please let me know what you think! Cheers!

AussieFanKurt
12-17-2012, 05:05 AM
Many thanks. :toast But it doesn't come out in Australia until May 8th. If you get a hold of a copy sooner, please let me know what you think! Cheers!

Oh damn, I prefer hard copy so I'll wait until then.

Koolaid_Man
12-17-2012, 07:29 AM
Hi friends. As I am a fairly regular on Spur Talk, I thought that some of you might be interested to know that my debut novel, Lenin's Harem, has been published in North America. (The international edition comes out on May 8th). This has been an eight year project leaving my home in the States, and living in Latvia, Estonia and Russia to write the book. (Along with a year studying writing in Manchester, UK). The book is being released by Knox Robinson Publishing, a small traditional British publisher.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/399204_567188996630193_1284849885_n.jpg

In simplest terms, the novel is about a young aristocrat swept up in the turmoil of World War I who finds himself a member of the elite Latvian Red Riflemen of the Russian Revolution (a group nicknamed "Lenin's Harem", nothing to do with a real harem by the way.) The aristocrat tries to survives the wars and class genocides of the times, adapting despite himself, and finally finding friendship with his fellow soldiers, love with a communist girl, only to face Stalin's purges in the 1930's. It is also, in many ways, the tragedy of the birth and death of the first Latvian State.

The novel has received very good reviews and endorsements from several well-known authors, historians, and the former dean of the CIA's Intelligence School called it "Enthralling" (as you can see on the cover.) I have a very good review coming out soon in the Providence Journal. I will be reading from the book at the Latvian Embassy to the United States in Washington D.C. on January, 23rd.

So, for those of you who might want to read a gripping story in the vein of Dr. Zhivago or All Quiet on the Western Front (about the land of Dāvis Bertāns, no less) I'd love to hear your opinions.

The books is available in hardback on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Lenins-Harem-William-Burton-McCormick/dp/190848344X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355717733&sr=8-1&keywords=Lenin%27s+Harem)
(http://www.amazon.com/Lenins-Harem-William-Burton-McCormick/dp/190848344X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355717733&sr=8-1&keywords=Lenin%27s+Harem)
And Amazon Kindle. (http://www.amazon.com/Lenins-Harem-ebook/dp/B00AJ9Q37Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355717733&sr=8-2&keywords=Lenin%27s+Harem)

Or you can get the epub file (pretty universal) directly from my publisher (just select epub on the item menu): (http://www.knoxrobinsonpublishing.com/product_info.php?products_id=120)

For more information check out my Author Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/William-Burton-McCormick/365316520150776#!/pages/William-Burton-McCormick/365316520150776)

Many thanks (and I apologize for the slightly sales-ish nature of this post!)

Best, Bill

Good Job...

However, Thanks but no thanks...looks fucking boring to me...I think I'll stick to Dostoyevsky for my Russian needs

benefactor
12-17-2012, 08:11 AM
Incredible accomplishment man. Congrats.

JudynTX
12-17-2012, 09:51 AM
What an accomplishment. Congrats!

silverblk mystix
12-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Congrats and I will buy over the holidays. Cheers!

Leetonidas
12-17-2012, 10:41 AM
Good job man, actually looks like an interesting read. I may have to check it out

mrsmaalox
12-17-2012, 10:43 AM

BillMc
12-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Incredible accomplishment man. Congrats.

What an accomplishment. Congrats!

Congrats and I will buy over the holidays. Cheers!

Good job man, actually looks like an interesting read. I may have to check it out

Thanks to all of you for the very kind words, my friends! :toast

lefty
12-17-2012, 04:22 PM
William !!!!!

apalisoc_9
12-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Bill, there is a site dedicated to individuals who do the "52 books in 52 weeks". I'm sure you have heard of it, but why not try to advertise their as well.

Libri
12-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Congratulations from an aspiring author.

BillMc
12-17-2012, 04:42 PM
William !!!!!

That's me! :hat

Bill, there is a site dedicated to individuals who do the "52 books in 52 weeks". I'm sure you have heard of it, but why not try to advertise their as well.

Hey thanks for the lead, I'll follow up with it tonight (or after the OKC game). :toast

Congratulations from an aspiring author.

I appreciate it! Keep up the writing, it'll happen...:toast

DMC
12-17-2012, 05:13 PM
This is the best troll ever. j/k (I hope)

Congrats. Send your book to the Spurs front office addressed to Pop. I am sure he will get it.

BillMc
12-17-2012, 05:25 PM
This is the best troll ever. j/k (I hope)

Congrats. Send your book to the Spurs front office addressed to Pop. I am sure he will get it.

Not trolling. It's real. :toast And yes, I definitely will send Pop a copy. I wonder if the front office would really give it to him, or if it would just be set aside by some assistant. But, I think he might like it, tbh.

DMC
12-17-2012, 05:27 PM
He's not that unreachable. I used to talk to coach Larry Brown every week at the gym and saw him regularly at the local HEB. They aren't movie stars, they are coaches. I am sure he would get it. I cannot imagine anyone wanting to incur the wrath of Pop for keeping something that belonged to him.

BillMc
12-17-2012, 05:53 PM
He's not that unreachable. I used to talk to coach Larry Brown every week at the gym and saw him regularly at the local HEB. They aren't movie stars, they are coaches. I am sure he would get it. I cannot imagine anyone wanting to incur the wrath of Pop for keeping something that belonged to him.

Ha ha! Okay, I'll try it.

Blake
12-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Thanks! :toast And, um, sorry. But you've 7000 more posts to Spurstalk than me, so I think I'm rather jealous of yours (and many others) contributions. I'm out of my depth with some of the great basketball posts I see on here.

Best, Bill

I'll give you 15k posts for 10% of the movie rights.

Another 5 if I get to play the part of Lenin.

DMC
12-17-2012, 07:55 PM

I don't think Lenin was a cuck.

SpursRock20
12-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Great job man! It's very impressive that you decided to move across the world and work on a project for 8 years! I give up on a reply on ST if it means doing any statistical research! That is some serious dedication :toast

Blake
12-17-2012, 08:59 PM
I don't think Lenin was a cuck.

I'm not but it would be irrelevant regardless

BillMc
12-17-2012, 10:36 PM

Ha ha. Tempting offer. How's your Russian?

Great job man! It's very impressive that you decided to move across the world and work on a project for 8 years! I give up on a reply on ST if it means doing any statistical research! That is some serious dedication :toast

Thanks. It was a lot of fun too, so I can't say it was all hard work. But I don't regret it at all. (And, yeah, if statistical research is required on a ST reply I usually just skip it. LJ has that market cornered.)