PDA

View Full Version : Another potential problem next year.

2centsworth
06-29-2005, 01:50 PM
Here me out on this one. Let's say in your job there is someone who has the same postion as you do but it's ridiculously clear that you are a far superior employee. Now let's say the boss pays the other person a lot more than they pay you. Would you have a problem with that? Even if you are a team player would you deep down inside have a problem with that?

Now consider if Nazr Mohammed was given a contract that paid him alot more than Tim Duncan, though Tim wouldn't grip would he feel underappreciated?

Reason I mention this is because that's the situation the spurs have with Manu and Tony. Manu won't complain, but it may bother him enough deep down inside to keep him from having that little extra UMPH that takes him to even a higher level of play.

What do you think?

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Reason I mention this is because that's the situation the spurs have with Manu and Tony. Manu won't complain, but it may bother him enough deep down inside to keep him from having that little extra UMPH that takes him to even a higher level of play.

What do you think?

I don't think Manu cares. Their contracts aren't that much different and Manu understands that point guard is a position that you usually have to pay a little more.

And Manu is not the type of person to ever hold himself back from going all out on the court -- so don't worry about his UMPH.

2centsworth
06-29-2005, 01:55 PM
I don't think Manu cares. Their contracts aren't that much different and Manu understands that point guard is a position that you usually have to pay a little more.

And Manu is not the type of person to ever hold himself back from going all out on the court -- so don't worry about his UMPH.
Manu makes 7 or 8 avg and Tony makes 11. That's a huge difference. Maybe my numbers are wrong.

I don't claim to know Manu that well.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 01:58 PM
Manu's contract is $52M and Tony's is $66M. I'm just saying over the course of a contract and when you throw in endorsements, etc. It's not like they are very far apart.

Man In Black
06-29-2005, 01:59 PM
Considering he is the highest paid athlete in his country, I don't think Manu is going to complain about his pay.

TP is the highest paid French athlete and I don't think he is going to complain about his pay.

Tim Duncan IS NOT the highest paid US player and I don't think he is going to complain about his pay.

SO NO, THERE IS NO POTENTIAL PROBLEM.

2centsworth
06-29-2005, 02:03 PM
Considering he is the highest paid athlete in his country, I don't think Manu is going to complain about his pay.

TP is the highest paid French athlete and I don't think he is going to complain about his pay.

Tim Duncan IS NOT the highest paid US player and I don't think he is going to complain about his pay.

SO NO, THERE IS NO POTENTIAL PROBLEM.
terrible logic. Tim is the highest paid on the team.

when it comes to pay it's all relative. Some people make 20mm and still feel underpaid, and in some cases they are. Just because someone makes millions doesn't mean they don't feel they deserve more, now for the average person that concept can be hard to understand.

beirmeistr
06-29-2005, 02:04 PM
I think Manu is on the verge of landing some big endorsements, and if that happens, the difference in salary won't bother him.

GrandeDavid
06-29-2005, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE=2centsworth]though Tim wouldn't grip would he feel underappreciated?QUOTE]

I think even Tim Duncan would "grip" about being paid less than a Nazr Mohammed caliber player.

2centsworth
06-29-2005, 02:06 PM
Manu's contract is $52M and Tony's is $66M. I'm just saying over the course of a contract and when you throw in endorsements, etc. It's not like they are very far apart. 14 million is a lot of money. Maybe the endorsement money changes , if there is some, emotional baggage.

1Parker1
06-29-2005, 02:08 PM
Here me out on this one. Let's say in your job there is someone who has the same postion as you do but it's ridiculously clear that you are a far superior employee. Now let's say the boss pays the other person a lot more than they pay you. Would you have a problem with that? Even if you are a team player would you deep down inside have a problem with that?

Now consider if Nazr Mohammed was given a contract that paid him alot more than Tim Duncan, though Tim wouldn't grip would he feel underappreciated?

What do you think?

First of all--they DON'T play the exact same position. Second of all, for 82 games this season Parker averaged about 16.6 ppg and Manu 16.1. For the post-season Parker averaged 17.2 and Manu 20.3. Sure Manu had more spectacular games that stood out than Parker and his style of play may give him the upper hand in the "Umph" as you call it, but in the end, their stats are pretty similiar. The intangible things each player brings to the table can't really be compared.

Spursdaone
06-29-2005, 02:09 PM
Manu deserves better and I would do a Terrell Owens on this contract now that he is a superstar.

2centsworth
06-29-2005, 02:10 PM
The intangible things each player brings to the table can't really be converted into dollars and cents.

Robert Horry is about to Cash in that intangible thing.

TDMVPDPOY
06-29-2005, 02:11 PM
manu is with timewarner, are u??

mrose31
06-29-2005, 02:13 PM
They are all overpaid so what does it matter.

1Parker1
06-29-2005, 02:15 PM

:lol True that! 52 mil isn't too damn shabby. Heck, I'd settle for half a mill right about now.........

2centsworth
06-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Oh really, they are one of life's top 5 pleasures for most of San Antonio. That is worth a lot of damn money.

Add all the national/international attention they bring to the market, and some would argue they are underpaid.

tlongII
06-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Manu MUST hold out! The Spurs are low-balling him.

2centsworth
06-29-2005, 02:18 PM
:lol True that! 52 mil isn't too damn shabby. Heck, I'd settle for half a mill right about now.........
it's not their fault you're not worth much.http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

JK, I'm not worth much either.

MiNuS
no doubt that Manu has an advantage in Texas where there is a high % of hispanics and ofcourse in this side of the hemisphere where the majority are
latin. Manu is about to XPLODE into the market. If he can carve out a piece of what Kobe has lost in endorsements he can easily be making an extra $10 mil a year.

Man In Black
terrible logic. Tim is the highest paid on the team.

when it comes to pay it's all relative. Some people make 20mm and still feel underpaid, and in some cases they are. Just because someone makes millions doesn't mean they don't feel they deserve more, now for the average person that concept can be hard to understand.

It ain't that hard a concept. Manu could've bolted last season. He had the upper hand. He could've screwed the teams with selfish demands but he got to a point where he was comfortable. Same with Tim & Tony as well.

This selfishness that you say could potentially be a problem ain't, because these men of character won't allow there to be a potential problem.

It's as simple as that.

nkdlunch
By the end of his career, Manu will be so rich anyway, he'll be able to buy Argentina. This is no potential problem.

1Parker1
Oh really, they are one of life's top 5 pleasures for most of San Antonio. That is worth a lot of damn money.

Add all the national/international attention they bring to the market, and some would argue they are underpaid.

:lmao I would like for you find ONE person other than yourself and Latrell Sprewell who think NBA players are underpaid.

travis2

What do you think?

ummmm...given that Tim has a MAX contract...your scenario is moot.

Ginobili_20_gold_medalist
06-29-2005, 02:19 PM
Manu deserves better and I would do a Terrell Owens on this contract now that he is a superstar.

I think Ginobili is paid a fair market value and I doubt you would ever see him complain. He's the type that would most likely honor his contract and be happy that he's a big part of winning titles. He's not TRULY a superstar and I doubt he ever will be mainly because of Popovich's system and Manu's unselfish style of play and willingness to fit in the team concept. I hope he never tries to pull a "Kobe" and start thinking he should be taking more shots and all that garbage. Actually I would like to see his shots per game increase to at least 15 a game but not so much that it breaks the flow of the system.

2centsworth
06-29-2005, 02:20 PM

spurs have a lot more class than most organizations so you won't see anything close to that. However, the spurs should promise something extra after Manu's contract is up.

2centsworth
06-29-2005, 02:21 PM
ummmm...given that Tim has a MAX contract...your scenario is moot.
Clueless.

austinfan
06-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Doesn't Manu already have contracts with some big Argentine companies too? So that adds to his overall income. He doesn't seem like the type who is afraid to ask for what he deserves, but from what I see he likes winning even more than money. If he's 2005-06 or Finals MVP next year, then yes, I would renegotiate with management.

picnroll
06-29-2005, 02:23 PM
You're in for a real disappointment.

2centsworth
06-29-2005, 02:23 PM
:lmao I would like for you find ONE person other than yourself and Latrell Sprewell who think NBA players are underpaid.

As much money as they generate, trust me if you worked for one of those players or profited off of what they do you too would think they are underpaid. Those guys make a lot of money for a lot of people. Think of all the positive publicity they bring to our market and the impact that will have in recruiting future corporations like Toyota.

Huge value!

travis2
06-29-2005, 02:24 PM
Clueless.

You're one to talk...:rolleyes

1Parker1
06-29-2005, 02:27 PM
As much money as they generate, trust me if you worked for one of those players or profited off of what they do you too would think they are underpaid. Those guys make a lot of money for a lot of people. Think of all the positive publicity they bring to our market and the impact that will have in recruiting future corporations like Toyota.

Huge value!

OH MY GOSH!!! Are you delusional?! DOCTORS do more for this world than freaking basketball players and you don't see them making $52 million.

ZStomp
06-29-2005, 03:31 PM
Is this a serious thread?

I didn't know whether or not to laugh.

Solid D
06-29-2005, 03:34 PM
Whenever I order food at a French restaurant, I always pay more and get less. :)

easjer
06-29-2005, 03:39 PM
I think you are wrong. Plain and simple. Manu had the option to go elsewhere if he wanted. He could have taken a smaller contract (lengthwise). Dude is making $52 million over the course of his contract. Tony is worth his money.

Think about what factors into it - position, minutes, past performance, future performance projections, cap room, future players, etc. Players know when they are getting a good deal. We may think Manu is worth $52 million, but consider that last year's free agent contracts were freaking insane. Turkoglu, even after his choke performance, went for $39million - you want to talk about overpaid . . . had his contract come up the year before he would probably only have gotten $36-40 million because that was what the rate was that summer.

My point is that it is unrealistic for players to cry about their enormously high salaries because someone else (on their team or otherwise) is making more when that contract is negotiated at a different time.

Regardless, we are not talking about the types of players who give a shit. They play to win. They enjoy the game and won't pass up a pretty fair deal because of ego.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2005, 03:40 PM
14 million is a lot of money. Maybe the endorsement money changes , if there is some, emotional baggage.If there is, he's not the player we all think he is. He'd be Sam Cassell in that case.

He can't renegotiate, so he'd only have himself to blame.

Personally I think it's a nonissue -- Manu's about to cash in mightily with endorsements.

samikeyp
I don't know Manu or Tim personally so I could be wrong...but I really think they don't give a rat's ass if someone makes more than them. I really think that all they care about is having a chance to win more titles which is good because in sports, winning championships is more important than making money. Anyone who thinks the opposite has their priorities mixed up and is a cancer to any team they belong to.

easjer
Whenever I order food at a French restaurant, I always pay more and get less. :)

:lmao

midgetonadonkey
06-29-2005, 04:30 PM
If money was in issue for any of these guys, they would have bolted at the end of their deals. Manu would be a Nugget and Parker would be somewhere else. This isn't a problem and probably will never be a problem with these guys.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-29-2005, 04:40 PM
Wow... this thread, well original post, must be a joke?

It has to be,

No one can be that damn ignorant and stupid at the same time.

Spurminator
It's a valid idea, but I don't think it's much of a concern at this point. Manu is going to rake in endorsement deals and fame.

Besides that (though maybe we don't know him well enough to say for certain), Manu strikes me as one of the most victory-motivated players in sports. He gives 110% every night, and I don't think it would be any different if he was playing for the minimum or the maximum. Just my opinion.

Aside from that, he knows that Tim Duncan makes the Spurs Engine run... he's said as much on several occasions. Unless he overdoses on his own ego at some point in the future, he knows his best situation is here.

Honestly, I'm sure it will cross his mind that he should probably be getting paid as much as Parker. He's human... we all think in those terms. But he's also smart enough to realize that the consequences of joining another team may outweigh the monetary benefits.

spurs_fan_in_exile
Right now Ginobili has basically accomplished everything that he could possibly have hoped to do when he started playing basketball. He could retire tomorrow and be a happy and very wealthy man. He's playing for the love of the game right now, not money.

Timoha
06-29-2005, 04:47 PM
Well, Bruce is underpayd too, why don't we throw him into the theory as well. Seriously, especially if SA is winning and the guys enjoy where they live, it is probably a moot point. I highly foubt that a couple more million (once you get into the multi, multimillion dollar area) increases the quality of life very much.

boutons
06-29-2005, 04:57 PM
"Here me out on this one."

First, you put the entire 06 Title on Robert.

Second, you worry about TP vs MG salary differences.

Third, will your dumb shit continue until the pre-season? :)

Brodels
06-29-2005, 05:03 PM
Let's say in your job there is someone who has the same postion as you do but it's ridiculously clear that you are a far superior employee. Now let's say the boss pays the other person a lot more than they pay you. Would you have a problem with that? Even if you are a team player would you deep down inside have a problem with that?

That's a nice scenerio and all, but it doesn't have much relevance to Tony and Manu. First of all, they don't play the same position. Second of all, I don't think it's 'ridiculously' clear that Manu is a 'far superior employee.' So the comparison between Nazr and Tim vs. Tony and Manu is flawed from the very beginning.

Look at what good point guards make. They are in demand because there aren't that many of them. Look at what good swing players make. Swing players are a dime a dozen. There are lots of good ones. They are in less demand and the ones that aren't absolute superstars simply aren't going to get as much as a good point guard in today's market. I hope that Manu has a better idea about the economic realities of basketball than you do.

now for the average person that concept can be hard to understand.

Yet you do understand that concept and you are above average. Give me a freakin' break. :lol

Robert Horry is about to Cash in that intangible thing

No. Horry is about to cash in because he does tangible things like make three pointers at the ends of games and plays good defense. Horry is going to do well in the offseason if he wants to because he can point to the tanglible, identifiable, and measurable things that he does.

spurs have a lot more class than most organizations so you won't see anything close to that. However, the spurs should promise something extra after Manu's contract is up.

But that logic, many players on the Spurs should be getting 'something extra.' Should Bruce Bowen be pissed because Malik Rose and Rasho made more money than him? If teams should promise something to players each time a player with less talent makes more money, every team in the league is going to be promising a lot of things to a lot of players. That's just silly.

Please enlighten me. With things like labor costs, labor skill, tax laws, location, distribution, and other things being some of the primary things that business use to make decisions on where to locate, please explain how having a professional sports team in town is really going to make a large difference. Sure, it may be nice, but the Spurs won't create enough revenue opportunities for big businesses to choose San Antonio because they play there. It might help a little bit in some cirumstances, but be realistic.

trust me

I'll trust you if you can show that you have a really good grasp on what you've been talking about. You haven't yet.

2centsworth
06-29-2005, 05:33 PM
That's a nice scenerio and all, but it doesn't have much relevance to Tony and Manu. First of all, they don't play the same position. Second of all, I don't think it's 'ridiculously' clear that Manu is a 'far superior employee.' So the comparison between Nazr and Tim vs. Tony and Manu is flawed from the very beginning.

We will have to disagree that it’s not ridiculously clear that Manu is a far superior employee. Though I bet 9 out of 10 people would start with Manu before Tony.

Look at what good point guards make. They are in demand because there aren't that many of them. Look at what good swing players make. Swing players are a dime a dozen. There are lots of good ones. They are in less demand and the ones that aren't absolute superstars simply aren't going to get as much as a good point guard in today's market. I hope that Manu has a better idea about the economic realities of basketball than you do.

Tell me what the avg top 5 point guards make vs the avg top 5 swing players? If there’s a wide disparity and then I’ll agree with you. I don’t think you will find one.

Yet you do understand that concept and you are above average. Give me a freakin' break.

Absolutely!

No. Horry is about to cash in because he does tangible things like make three pointers at the ends of games and plays good defense. Horry is going to do well in the offseason if he wants to because he can point to the tanglible, identifiable, and measurable things that he does.

Look at your sentence three pointers at the END OF GAMES. What is it in Robert Horry that allows him to do that better than anyone else? There is an intangible quality about him.

But that logic, many players on the Spurs should be getting 'something extra.' Should Bruce Bowen be pissed because Malik Rose and Rasho made more money than him? If teams should promise something to players each time a player with less talent makes more money, every team in the league is going to be promising a lot of things to a lot of players. That's just silly.

The water is muddier when talking about role players. But I’m open minded enough to consider you might be right.

Please enlighten me. With things like labor costs, labor skill, tax laws, location, distribution, and other things being some of the primary things that business use to make decisions on where to locate, please explain how having a professional sports team in town is really going to make a large difference. Sure, it may be nice, but the Spurs won't create enough revenue opportunities for big businesses to choose San Antonio because they play there. It might help a little bit in some cirumstances, but be realistic.

Never said that was their only value, but one part. City did pay $500 million to keep their team, so there must be some economic value. Imagine if the team actually left, I bet the city would ante up a billion dollars to get them back.

I'll trust you if you can show that you have a really good grasp on what you've been talking about. You haven't yet.

Not going to fight with you because you made an attempt to address each point.

2centsworth
06-29-2005, 05:37 PM
It's a valid idea, but I don't think it's much of a concern at this point. Manu is going to rake in endorsement deals and fame.

Besides that (though maybe we don't know him well enough to say for certain), Manu strikes me as one of the most victory-motivated players in sports. He gives 110% every night, and I don't think it would be any different if he was playing for the minimum or the maximum. Just my opinion.

Aside from that, he knows that Tim Duncan makes the Spurs Engine run... he's said as much on several occasions. Unless he overdoses on his own ego at some point in the future, he knows his best situation is here.

Honestly, I'm sure it will cross his mind that he should probably be getting paid as much as Parker. He's human... we all think in those terms. But he's also smart enough to realize that the consequences of joining another team may outweigh the monetary benefits.
He's by far the most popular spur and will cash in big on endorsements and will ulitmately make more than Tony. Hopefully he knows the large contract to Tony had a little to do with the Jason Kidd ordeal, because I don't think Tony would get $11 per year on the open market.

caspian
06-29-2005, 05:53 PM
OH MY GOSH!!! Are you delusional?! DOCTORS do more for this world than freaking basketball players and you don't see them making $52 million.

Actually, ironically, the best plastic surgeons, arguably the least "helpful to the world" among doctors, do make many millions per year.

Money value "is not equal to" practical value. And it'll stay that way as long as consumers are more willing to spend money on tickets than charity.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2005, 05:54 PM
Let's get something straight here -- contracts can't be renegotiated.

It's done.

If Manu was about money he'd be in Denver or somewhere else.

That's done too.

I'm not going to speculate that he's petty enough to be jealous of Tony's contract. Come out and say it if you think that's the case. If it's going to affect his play, he doesn't deserve any more money anyway.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2005, 05:55 PM
Hopefully he knows the large contract to Tony had a little to do with the Jason Kidd ordeal, because I don't think Tony would get $11 per year on the open market.He'd likely get more on the open market than he did with the Spurs, so what's the point?

2centsworth
06-29-2005, 05:56 PM
Actually, ironically, the best plastic surgeons, arguably the least "helpful to the world" among doctors, do make many millions per year.
All that money to make us men happy and you're complaining?:lol

jochhejaam
06-29-2005, 06:16 PM
I think Manu is on the verge of landing some big endorsements, and if that happens, the difference in salary won't bother him.

Inside sources have him endorsing a very popular and internationally distrubuted fertilizer thats to be called predictably "Manu's Manure".

Other possibilities his agents are suggesting are the mayonaisse guys Hellman's changing their name to Hellmanu's, and the tough guys soup Campbells Manhandlers to Manuhandlers.

Brodels
06-29-2005, 06:31 PM
We will have to disagree that it’s not ridiculously clear that Manu is a far superior employee. Though I bet 9 out of 10 people would start with Manu before Tony.

See, I don't necessarily disagree with that. It's just that nine out of ten people wanting Manu over Tony doesn't mean that Manu is 'ridiculously' a 'far superior' player. And I think it's simply not the truth anyway. Manu has never been the scorer during the regular season that Tony is. I think it could be argued that Manu is the better player, but it's going to be difficult for you to show that he's undoubtedly far superior and that people choosing Manu over Tony believe that too.

Tell me what the avg top 5 point guards make vs the avg top 5 swing players? If there’s a wide disparity and then I’ll agree with you. I don’t think you will find one.

You can't use averages in this case because some players are on rookie contracts. Lebron is on a rookie contract, so the numbers would be skewed if you chose to include him. The rookie salary scale makes such comparisons useless. In addition, just because a player signed a contract doesn't mean that he isn't overpaid. And it doesn't mean that another team would or wouldn't sign him to a larger or smaller dollar amount at any given time. Just because some dumbass paid Allan Houston the max doesn't mean that solid shooting guards in general are going to make a ton of money. Also, some of the contracts we'd be talking about would have been signed five or six or more years ago. The climate was certainly different then.

I'm talking about what's in demand right now.

Look at your sentence three pointers at the END OF GAMES. What is it in Robert Horry that allows him to do that better than anyone else? There is an intangible quality about him.

His ability to make three pointers at the ends of games is a tangible skill. You can put your hands around it. You know it's going to happen. You can develop tangible stats to support it. It's documented and concrete.

The water is muddier when talking about role players. But I’m open minded enough to consider you might be right.

I just don't understand why it would be any different for role players. Superstars may have bigger egos, but I think that many role players have the same affliction.

Never said that was their only value, but one part. City did pay $500 million to keep their team, so there must be some economic value. Imagine if the team actually left, I bet the city would ante up a billion dollars to get them back.

There is certainly economic value, but I'm questioning you about why you think that the Spurs being in town makes a real significant difference when businesses are thinking about coming to town. There are other economic benefits to be sure. Then again, other small markets have lost professional sporting teams without taking huge economic hits.

Not going to fight with you because you made an attempt to address each point.

And I'll do the same. Good talk.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2005, 07:21 PM
Manu already knew Tony's contract was larger than his before the season even started.

Would you say this affected his play in any way?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-29-2005, 07:38 PM

I swear we need a Salary Cap for Dummies primer stickied to the top of the board.

50 cent
06-29-2005, 07:38 PM
Retarded Thread Forum.

dn0
06-29-2005, 07:43 PM
I think manu is pretty happy with the contract he negotiated, of course if it would have happened this year, it would be much higher.
Now, based on what they did on the court this year, I think manu played for tp's 66 or more and TP .. let's just say that he concentrated too much on eva and rap in my opinion.

samikeyp
06-29-2005, 07:53 PM

Terrell Owens is the definition of what is wrong with Pro sports. Manu does NOT need to follow his example. You sign a contract, you fulfill that contract, period.

ZStomp
06-29-2005, 08:00 PM

Is this glass half full or half empty?

http://www.bottled-water-filters-coolers.com/images/glass-half-full.jpg

I bet you look at this glass as half empty. While many of us see it as half full. Why don't y ou just fuken enjoy the championship that our Spurs just won? And enjoy the damn summer!

NZHayden
06-29-2005, 08:29 PM
they should play for the love of the game not the money

2centsworth
06-29-2005, 10:09 PM
He'd likely get more on the open market than he did with the Spurs, so what's the point?
You think he would get more than 11 mil per season on the open market. I think the spurs over paid.

midgetonadonkey
06-29-2005, 10:09 PM
they should play for the love of the game not the money

Ya and O.J. and Micheal Jackson should have been guilty...too bad this isn't a perfect world.

bpergrem3
06-29-2005, 10:25 PM

There's no way Nazr gets a max deal. If he wants that kind of money he can go somewhere else.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-29-2005, 10:36 PM
Men of character, no problem here.

As for the underpaid/overpaid, without the athletes there is no NBA. The NBA makes shitloads of money off the backs of the athletes. The athletes get 57% of that as mandated by the CBA. That seems pretty fair to me.

It is society that overvalues sport/entertainment over health care, education, environment, etc, not the athletes fault.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-29-2005, 10:45 PM
The athletes get 57% of that as mandated by the CBA. That seems pretty fair to me.

Yeah, but the players aren't the ones paying:

1. insurance on players for injuries
2. arena overhead
3. marketing and promotional costs
4. a couple hundred million up front for the team

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-29-2005, 10:53 PM
Aggie, that's why the owners get the other 43%. What, you think the owners aren't making any money? C'mon, they are doing just fine, and every year the value of their franchises increases.

What % do you think the players should get?

LilMissSPURfect
06-29-2005, 11:35 PM

I have 5 bucks to add to the bucket.....heck i'd give up my weekend for manu....make it 20$.....

ChumpDumper
06-29-2005, 11:44 PM
You think he would get more than 11 mil per season on the open market.Yes. Name me another 23 year old point guard with his speed and two championships.

Just think -- teams could be courting him in a matter of days had the extension not been made.

2centsworth
06-29-2005, 11:52 PM
Yes. Name me another 23 year old point guard with his speed and two championships.
Those two reasons will get him a few bucks but not nearly enough to justify $11mil. The lakers are in some serious need of PG help, but do you think they would pay Tony $11mil. If not the Lakers, who else?

ChumpDumper
06-30-2005, 12:03 AM
but do you think they would pay Tony $11mil.If they had the cap space, of course they would.
If not the Lakers, who else?Atlanta
Cleveland
Milwaukee

And several teams that could put together a sign and trade.

DesiSpur_21
06-30-2005, 05:30 AM
Money matters, but when you have 10s of millions, does it really matter? I think Manu is a smart businessman as well - his balance sheet is going to look better than Tony's when all is said and done. More than that, he'd have to regret big-time if it becomes the only issue for him to move on. The guy is smart.

Remember S-jax? The guy could have been a winner here with a decent money - but ended up in a thug team with more money.

Ultimately it's what you are that drives a decision, but not what you want.

TheTruth
06-30-2005, 05:40 AM
There's no way Nazr gets a max deal. If he wants that kind of money he can go somewhere else.
It's a hypothetical question.

pjjrfan
06-30-2005, 09:02 AM
I truly believe if Manu was in it for the Money he would have strong armed the Nuggets for a bigger contract which they probably would have given him, so I think he settled for the Spurs contract because being in SA was more important to him than the amount of money he would get. Of course, 52 mill over 6 years is nothing to sneeze at, I'm sure he is smart enough to make ends meet.

ambchang
06-30-2005, 09:19 AM
In other news:
Tim Duncan has demanded Amy to have plastic surgery after seeing Tony having the ridiculously hotter partner in Evan Longoria.
Golden States Warriors are renegotiating its contract with Adonal Foyle, and will pay him $15/hr to wash real players' jock straps.

1Parker1
06-30-2005, 09:44 AM
In other news:
Tim Duncan has demanded Amy to have plastic surgery after seeing Tony having the ridiculously hotter partner in Evan Longoria.

:lmao, the jealousy and hatred is spreading!

pache100
06-30-2005, 09:53 AM

Yeah, that always works. Just ask Steven Jackson how well that works out for you, even basing your demands on a Championship. He's playing for the Pacers now (his second team since the Spurs).

The Spurs don't mess around with that crap, they don't have to. Their philosophy is to offer what is fair and what they believe you are worth to the organization. If you want to play with a contender, you will take the offer. If not, you don't take their phone calls and they'll see you in Atlanta.

Extra Stout
06-30-2005, 10:12 AM
Tony's and Manu's contracts make perfect sense.

Gregg Popovich is an avid enophile. Simply index each player's salary to the corresponding wine or spirits from their home region.

Everyone knows that if you pay $52 for an Argentine Malbec, you're getting an exquisite specimen.

Meanwhile, if you pay $66 for a Bordeaux, it probably will just be somewhat above average.

It works for Brent Barry, too. $30-something for a California wine will get you something halfway decent, but not near as good as what the hype would indicate.

And a Caribbean rum that would run you $120 surely is one of the greatest of all time.

DDS4
06-30-2005, 10:42 AM
Ain't that a bitch. At least Tony is a productive player.

Imagine what the players on Brian Grant and Mutumbo's (just to name a couple) teams think.

50 cent
06-30-2005, 11:27 AM

Gregg Popovich is an avid enophile. Simply index each player's salary to the corresponding wine or spirits from their home region.

Everyone knows that if you pay $52 for an Argentine Malbec, you're getting an exquisite specimen.

Meanwhile, if you pay $66 for a Bordeaux, it probably will just be somewhat above average.

It works for Brent Barry, too. $30-something for a California wine will get you something halfway decent, but not near as good as what the hype would indicate.

And a Caribbean rum that would run you $120 surely is one of the greatest of all time.

:lmao That's great.

Rick Von Braun
06-30-2005, 11:52 AM

Great post! http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif