PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky officials seek to punish miner who reported safety violations

ElNono
12-18-2012, 02:58 AM
http://www.kentucky.com/2012/12/17/2447156/kentucky-officials-seek-to-punish.html

Wild Cobra
12-18-2012, 03:13 AM
Just follow the greasy palms...

Winehole23
12-18-2012, 09:14 AM
property is more important than men and women; the bulk and the course of the law affirm this.

boutons_deux
12-18-2012, 09:20 AM
corporate profits are more important than human life and health. Real Men don't GAF about health and the environment

vy65
12-18-2012, 10:21 AM
property is more important than men and women; the bulk and the course of the law affirm this.

Little hyperbolic, don't you think? Care to substantiate your claim?

Winehole23
12-18-2012, 10:29 AM
look at how much space each is allotted on the bookshelf or how much consideration each receives in the rolls of the law. it isn't even a contest.

vy65
12-18-2012, 10:32 AM
You can't be given the death penalty for theft. The severity of punishment reflects a clear value judgment that life is more valuable than property.

Winehole23
12-18-2012, 10:33 AM
the actions of the state of KY seem to affirm the generalization, n'est-ce pas?

Winehole23
12-18-2012, 10:35 AM
more of the law is devoted to protecting property than protecting people, the severity of punishment for murder totally notwithstanding.

vy65
12-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Desole, mais no. I don't agree with what KY is doing, but it fails to support your claim. Again, you can't be sentenced to death for any crime involving property. Do you think the punishments proscribed by law don't reflect judgments concerning what is more important -- property or life?

But, to be fair, your claim is somewhat ambiguous: are you saying more important in the sense that more attention is paid?

vy65
12-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Ah. Ambiguous indeed.

Winehole23
12-18-2012, 10:41 AM
I think not. Property is perpetual; people come and go.

coyotes_geek
12-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Again, you can't be sentenced to death for any crime involving property.

Well, sort of. True, that a judge or jury can't sentence you to death in a court of law over property, but here in Texas if I catch you attempting to steal my property the law does allow me to kill you regardless of whether or not you pose a physical threat to me.

vy65
12-18-2012, 11:38 AM
In practice, using deadly force to protect your property is really hard to prove because you have to show there was no other reasonable alternative to preventing the (pretty serious) crime other than the use of deadly force.

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

FromWayDowntown
12-18-2012, 12:05 PM
You can't be given the death penalty for theft. The severity of punishment reflects a clear value judgment that life is more valuable than property.

If it's coupled with murder you can. In fact, murder alone won't get you the death penalty in most jurisdictions; it usually must be accompanied by another crime. It wouldn't shock me if research showed that the most frequently coupled crime is theft or some other property crime. That's just a guess, of course.

I ultimately agree that in many jurisdictions, the law's primary objective is more aimed at property protection (both real property and personalty (including money)) than protection of people; and when there's a tie, the tie is usually broken in favor of property protection.

coyotes_geek
12-18-2012, 12:06 PM
In practice, using deadly force to protect your property is really hard to prove because you have to show there was no other reasonable alternative to preventing the (pretty serious) crime other than the use of deadly force.

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

No doubt there's a lot of "grey" in the interpretation of that law, but it's still an example of an instance where the law places a higher priority on someone's property than on someone else's life.

LnGrrrR
12-18-2012, 01:16 PM

You could get life in prison though, correct? And the quality of a life in prison is obviously much less than that of a free man. So while life may be more valuable than property, it depends on exactly which life, and which property.

vy65
12-18-2012, 03:12 PM
If it's coupled with murder you can. In fact, murder alone won't get you the death penalty in most jurisdictions; it usually must be accompanied by another crime. It wouldn't shock me if research showed that the most frequently coupled crime is theft or some other property crime. That's just a guess, of course.

Felony Murder isn't simple theft. The obverse of this is true: you can't be given the death penalty for a property crime unless it's coupled with murder -- which suggests the greater emphasis on life over property.

I ultimately agree that in many jurisdictions, the law's primary objective is more aimed at property protection (both real property and personalty (including money)) than protection of people; and when there's a tie, the tie is usually broken in favor of property protection.

If we're talking sheer number of laws, sure. But in terms of severity of punishment, it's no contest. And couldn't we say that there are more property-based laws because there are more "transactions" (crimes and torts) involving property. I'd feel pretty secure saying theft is more commonplace than murder.

vy65
12-18-2012, 03:16 PM
No doubt there's a lot of "grey" in the interpretation of that law, but it's still an example of an instance where the law places a higher priority on someone's property than on someone else's life.

I'm quibbling, but it's easier to justify deadly force against a person threatening you, individually, opposed to a person threatening your property. For example, a trespass on your land invokes a presumption of reasonability in defense of your self that is not available in the defense of your property. Of course, the question is: when would you have a situation where there is a threat to your property that is also not a threat to your person.

Sec. 9.32. DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON. (a) A person is justified in using deadly force against another:

(1) if the actor would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.31; and

(2) when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful deadly force; or

(B) to prevent the other's imminent commission of aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery, or aggravated robbery.

(b) The actor's belief under Subsection (a)(2) that the deadly force was immediately necessary as described by that subdivision is presumed to be reasonable if the actor:

(1) knew or had reason to believe that the person against whom the deadly force was used:

(A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor's occupied habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment;

(B) unlawfully and with force removed, or was attempting to remove unlawfully and with force, the actor from the actor's habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment; or

(C) was committing or attempting to commit an offense described by Subsection (a)(2)(B);

(2) did not provoke the person against whom the force was used; and

(3) was not otherwise engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic at the time the force was used.

(c) A person who has a right to be present at the location where the deadly force is used, who has not provoked the person against whom the deadly force is used, and who is not engaged in criminal activity at the time the deadly force is used is not required to retreat before using deadly force as described by this section.

(d) For purposes of Subsection (a)(2), in determining whether an actor described by Subsection (c) reasonably believed that the use of deadly force was necessary, a finder of fact may not consider whether the actor failed to retreat.

vy65
12-18-2012, 03:17 PM
You could get life in prison though, correct? And the quality of a life in prison is obviously much less than that of a free man. So while life may be more valuable than property, it depends on exactly which life, and which property.

Pretty sure you can't get life for straight up theft, but I could be wrong. Regardless, in our (societal) estimation, the death penalty is more severe than life in prison, the realities of the big house notwithstanding.

LnGrrrR
12-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Pretty sure you can't get life for straight up theft, but I could be wrong. Regardless, in our (societal) estimation, the death penalty is more severe than life in prison, the realities of the big house notwithstanding.

I'm not sure actually. (I know it's hard to tell from the internet, but that was a true question mark, not a rhetorical one.) And yes, I agree that overall life is more important than property, but I do think there are shades of grey.

coyotes_geek
12-18-2012, 04:03 PM
I'm quibbling, but it's easier to justify deadly force against a person threatening you, individually, opposed to a person threatening your property. For example, a trespass on your land invokes a presumption of reasonability in defense of your self that is not available in the defense of your property. Of course, the question is: when would you have a situation where there is a threat to your property that is also not a threat to your person.

Looks to me like 9.42 (2)(B) covers such a scenario. If somebody is attempting to flee your property, I don't think you can say that they pose a threat to your person anymore, yet it sure looks like you're still allowed to gun them down.

I'm trying to find the actual news story but I remember hearing about a situation like this here in Austin. Something like a guy comes home to find someone driving off with his couch so he takes out his gun and shoots the guy as he's driving away.

vy65
12-18-2012, 04:09 PM
Looks to me like 9.42 (2)(B) covers such a scenario. If somebody is attempting to flee your property, I don't think you can say that they pose a threat to your person anymore, yet it sure looks like you're still allowed to gun them down.

I don't think 9.42(2)(B) applies to a simple trespass to property; it only applies to a person who has 1) committed one of the enumerated crimes - of which trespass is not one and 2) is fleeing. But this isn't what I practice, so I could be completely wrong.

Blake
12-20-2012, 02:45 PM

The property in this case is a mine.

You can't steal a mine.

How in the world are you employed as a lawyer?

vy65
12-20-2012, 02:47 PM
you've got to be kidding me, right?

boutons_deux
12-20-2012, 02:48 PM
The property in this case is a mine.

You can't steal a mine.

How in the world are you employed as a lawyer?

the property in this case is THE MONEY from the mine selling coal while cutting corners on miner safety.

Jacob1983
12-20-2012, 03:05 PM
http://l.yimg.com/l/tv/us/img/site/55/25/0000085525_20120104171820.jpg

Blake
12-20-2012, 03:12 PM
you've got to be kidding me, right?

No, not kidding. You're an idiot.

Blake
12-20-2012, 03:14 PM
the property in this case is THE MONEY from the mine selling coal while cutting corners on miner safety.

Whatever.

There is only one person in this thread so far that thinks society as a whole places more value on human life than it does property.

vy65
12-20-2012, 03:20 PM
No, not kidding. You're an idiot.

lol no reading comprehension. I'm amazed you were able to understand the texts from DAT BULL on your wife's phone.

vy65
12-20-2012, 03:21 PM
Whatever.

There is only one person in this thread so far that thinks society as a whole places more value on human life than it does property.

Get smarter. Law =|= society you fucking moron.

Blake
12-20-2012, 03:22 PM

Little hyperbolic, don't you think? Care to substantiate your claim?

I think it's pretty clear that your implying you have a hard time believing property is more important than humans.

you're an idiot.

Blake
12-20-2012, 03:24 PM

ok, ”law”.

You're a fucking idiot.

vy65
12-20-2012, 03:24 PM
I think it's pretty clear that your implying you have a hard time believing property is more important than humans.

you're an idiot.

Goddamn you are so aggressively fucking moronic its amazing. Clearly you can't understand that the penalties attached to murder can be worse than those for theft. This fairly simple idea went so far above your head that you thought I was talking about stealing a mine. Kill yourself now.

TeyshaBlue
12-20-2012, 03:30 PM
lol no reading comprehension. I'm amazed you were able to understand the texts from DAT BULL on your wife's phone.

That's gonna leave a mark.

Blake
12-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Goddamn you are so aggressively fucking moronic its amazing. Clearly you can't understand that the penalties attached to murder can be worse than those for theft. This fairly simple idea went so far above your head that you thought I was talking about stealing a mine. Kill yourself now.

Tldr

But I bet it was stupid.

vy65
12-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Tldr

But I bet it was stupid.

I'm not surprised that 4 sentences is "tl" for you.

Blake
12-20-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm not surprised that 4 sentences is "tl" for you.

K, I'll go back and read it.

Blake
12-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Yup, I was right.

no long winded paragraph, just answer true or false:

Legal precedent shows/would show the value of a mine worker to be greater than the mine itself.

vy65
12-20-2012, 04:17 PM
If you were right why are you asking me questions? I'm not repeating myself so your Down's Syndrome having ass can understand.

Blake
12-20-2012, 04:25 PM
I was right that your previous 4 sentence post was stupid.

Forget my question. You stay stupid and I'll pray that I never mistakenly hire you for legal work.

vy65
12-20-2012, 04:29 PM
So basically, you have no idea what you're talking about. Again. I'm not surprised.

Also, how the fuck do you mistakenly hire an attorney? Are you really this fucking stupid?

Go back to the couch and watch your wife get plowed some more you fucking mongoloid.

vy65
12-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Lol Blake: You jump in to a thread, assert some inane, incorrect and otherwise irrelevant shit. When you get called out for being completely wrong, you respond with "you're a dumb dumb" and completely drop all defense of the inane, incorrect and otherwise irrelevant shit you had initially brought up.

Blake
12-20-2012, 04:55 PM
So basically, you have no idea what you're talking about. Again. I'm not surprised.

you brought up theft.

I don't feel like getting into how stupid that is regarding what WH said which was in the context of this thread because you would post a bunch of long winded stupid responses.

I'd rather just tell you you're stupid.

Also, how the fuck do you mistakenly hire an attorney? Are you really this fucking stupid?

If I hired you, it would be a mistake because you are really that fucking stupid.

Go back to the couch and watch your wife get plowed some more you fucking mongoloid.

It didn't take much for you to go back to your stand by response.

Because you're an idiot.

Blake
12-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Lol Blake: You jump in to a thread, assert some inane, incorrect and otherwise irrelevant shit. When you get called out for being completely wrong, you respond with "you're a dumb dumb" and completely drop all defense of the inane, incorrect and otherwise irrelevant shit you had initially brought up.

Tl, didn't want to read.

I bet it was something stupid. Again. Per par.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-20-2012, 07:03 PM

In a democracy, you can get a view of what society wishes by the laws that they enact. Laws that are put in place and how those who judge and practice them do pay quite a bit of attention to safeguarding private property and limiting liability for said property. Once you expand this to the realm of intellectual property and legal entities like LLCs and it gets even more muddled.

I am glad that there are statutes from over one hundred years ago detailing not to murder and rape people or we will fuck you up. In the meantime we have seen a lot of attention to property and legal entities and that particular trend is just continuing.

"More than" just diverts from the point. I suppose at some level you can count laws or discuss punishments but that is just arbitrary qualitative nonsense. What anecdotes like this point to a culture that is more and more interested in protecting their stuff than they are their fellow man.

Latarian Milton
12-20-2012, 07:25 PM
the harshest possible punishment for this miner is making him continue to work there as a miner imho