PDA

View Full Version : Times Like This Make Me Love Pop

Dr. Robert Lee
12-18-2012, 10:52 PM
Hack-a-McGhee and he tells Stern to STFU.

spurs1990
12-18-2012, 10:53 PM
The big 3 should've had the night off is more like it.

jestersmash
12-18-2012, 11:07 PM
I'm pretty sure Pop doesn't care about sending any message to Stern.

He just wants to maximize his chances of winning this game.

DPG21920
12-18-2012, 11:43 PM
Stern has seemingly neutered Pop tbh..made him pay a fine and seemingly influenced the way he coaches. Since the fine, Pop has played his healthy big 3 minutes/games he normally would not. Look at tonight and the Portland game. Both classic examples of Pop normally resting guys/sending them home but he didn't and it's now costing the Spurs both games and rest that the big 3 normally get.

AussieFanKurt
12-18-2012, 11:46 PM
I'm pretty sure Pop doesn't care about sending any message to Stern.

He just wants to maximize his chances of winning this game.

Mugen
12-19-2012, 12:10 AM
I think the nuggs were +1 after the Hack a McGee sequence.

SpursRock20
12-19-2012, 12:11 AM

Wow! In any case, it seemed to mess up their offensive rhythm going into the fourth quarter.

DPG21920
12-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Stern has seemingly neutered Pop tbh..made him pay a fine and seemingly influenced the way he coaches. Since the fine, Pop has played his healthy big 3 minutes/games he normally would not. Look at tonight and the Portland game. Both classic examples of Pop normally resting guys/sending them home but he didn't and it's now costing the Spurs both games and rest that the big 3 normally get.

Does no one else see this as a concern - especially over the long haul? Or is it just too early to tell if Stern has effectively neutered Pop and forced him into going against what he feels is right?

Seventyniner
12-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Does no one else see this as a concern - especially over the long haul? Or is it just too early to tell if Stern has effectively neutered Pop and forced him into going against what he feels is right?

It would be hilarious if Pop plays his big guns more minutes this season (including the playoffs) and wins the damn title. Maybe the minute conservation technique isn't worth it after all?

Leetonidas
12-19-2012, 12:17 PM

They already came out and said Pop didn't do it in a timely manner. Pop can rest his players if he notifies the league ahead of time apparently, so I don't see how Pop has been neutered

Dex
12-19-2012, 12:38 PM

It worked initially, but the effects were not long-lasting. The Spurs made a little push while first going Hacka, but then they stopped hitting shots, and Denver immediately got a couple run-outs once the Spurs stopped Hacking to put them right back where they were.

DPG21920
12-19-2012, 12:58 PM
They already came out and said Pop didn't do it in a timely manner. Pop can rest his players if he notifies the league ahead of time apparently, so I don't see how Pop has been neutered

Really, then why is he playing Tim 40 minutes in a B2B? Why did he play Tim against Portland where they flew into a different time zone on a B2B. There already have been quite a few "Golden Classic Pop" moments where he would limit minutes or flat out sit guys and it hasn't happened since the fine. IMO, definitely something to monitor because unless everyone is full of sh*t (meaning us/media and Pop), managing minutes is critical to this teams success.

jjktkk
12-19-2012, 01:07 PM

Too early in the season to be a concern. But noteworthy, esecially if this last into the new year.

Leetonidas
12-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Really, then why is he playing Tim 40 minutes in a B2B? Why did he play Tim against Portland where they flew into a different time zone on a B2B. There already have been quite a few "Golden Classic Pop" moments where he would limit minutes or flat out sit guys and it hasn't happened since the fine. IMO, definitely something to monitor because unless everyone is full of sh*t (meaning us/media and Pop), managing minutes is critical to this teams success.

The Portland game is a mystery. Last night could be more explainable that Tim Duncan was in the zone and told Pop "I got this." As much as Pop is concerned with minutes and health, I do believe that if Tim is playing like he is last night, Pop will let him try and win the game. You may be right but I don't see Pop as the kind of person to care what the commissioner wants as long as it is within the rules of the league