PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts after mile high loss

timvp
12-18-2012, 11:41 PM
-Yeah it sucks to see the Spurs lose but, damn, this team doesn't give up. I don't know if there's been a Spurs team before where you just know they are going to make a comeback at some point. Now, relying on comebacks isn't the recipe to become a championship team, but they are mentally tough and just keep coming.

-Recently, it looked like Tim Duncan's dream season was sputtering. And then tonight happened. Wow. Duncan played that whole fourth quarter and was in hop-on-my-back-I-ain't-going-out-without-a-fight mode. Honestly, I saw more than five blocks; he just shut down the paint to drivers when he was locked in. Late in the game, Duncan looked like the most energetic player on the court despite his 39 minutes. Very impressive and proof that the dream season is still going strong.

-Physically, Manu Ginobili looked fine. That's good news because it doesn't look like he'll have to "start over" in terms of getting healthy again and should be able to pickup where he left off.

-If Danny Green, Gary Neal and Stephen Jackson play like garbage at the same time, it's difficult to win. Especially with Kawhi Leonard still out.

-Perhaps even more damning was Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili scoring only 29 points on 27 shots.

-Patrick Mills' niche as the instant offense assassin who comes in when the Spurs need to make a run looks like a great fit. He's lacking in some skills but he can fill it up in a hurry.

-Big picture: Losing four out of five is disappointing but even the biggest pessimist has to admit it was influenced by a difficult schedule. I'd say 2-3 was par during this stretch so 1-4 is poor but not unexpected or debilitating to their chances of obtaining the No. 1 seed. The schedule is going to start evening up soon. For the rest of December, the Spurs won't have to leave Texas. In the next six games, if the Spurs can go 5-1 -- which is entirely doable -- they'll be on track to win 59 games ... but that's not even factoring in that their schedule will ease up a bit. So, in other words, things are still going as expected as long as the Spurs take advantage of this upcoming stretch.

AussieFanKurt
12-18-2012, 11:45 PM
Fuck Green and Jax were pitiful. TP just disappeared

Mills was great, he's played shit lately but obviously was good on offence and even played passable defence, late steal was key

Duncan should be an all star

Brunodf
12-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Green/Neal/Diaw/Jack are playing bad, idk why our perimeter players are going to help in the paint when u have DUNCAN AND SPLITTER THERE, in the last 2 games we did give up many wide open 3 pointers. Also Pop rotations are weird, playing Neal/Green/Jack/Bonner/Splitter lineup and Mills/Nando/Manu/Bonner/Diaw did hurt.

letmk
12-18-2012, 11:51 PM
I'm very encouraged by Manu's physical condition. On the other hand, I'm worried that he doesn't seem to have a way to break out the slump -- or even worse, just cannot overcome the age. Basically he just can't beat the defense.

letmk
12-18-2012, 11:53 PM
Green/Neal/Diaw/Jack are playing bad, idk why our perimeter players are going to help in the paint when u have DUNCAN AND SPLITTER THERE, in the last 2 games we did give up many wide open 3 pointers. Also Pop rotations are weird, playing Neal/Green/Jack/Bonner/Splitter lineup and Mills/Nando/Manu/Bonner/Diaw did hurt.

I noticed this as well. It's very strange to have either too many ball-handlers or no ball-handlers.

timvp
12-18-2012, 11:53 PM
An additional thought:

-Boris Diaw finally looked like a basketball player again late against the Nuggets. When he's actually trying hard the guy is pretty damn good at this sport, honestly speaking.

SpursRock20
12-18-2012, 11:54 PM
I'm very encouraged by Manu's physical condition. On the other hand, I'm worried that he doesn't seem to have a way to break out the slump -- or even worse, just cannot overcome the age. Basically he just can't beat the defense.

Sure he can. Manu's biggest problem right now is shot selection. Most of his threes are short (still can get in better shape) and until he adjusts, he needs to drive more.

Texas_Ranger
12-18-2012, 11:55 PM
Pop needs to figure out whats his rotation should look like. It looks like he's experimenting too much.

Boomersgold
12-18-2012, 11:58 PM
An additional thought:

-Boris Diaw finally looked like a basketball player again late against the Nuggets. When he's actually trying hard the guy is pretty damn good at this sport, honestly speaking.

Didn't really score much (if at all) in that 3rd/4th quarter. Looks more like a facilitator.

SpursRock20
12-18-2012, 11:58 PM
An additional thought:

But don't you think that his TO's lately are a cause for concern? In the last six games, he has 15 turnovers to 13 assists. For a guy who is known for his passing, he simply can't play like this.

HI-FI
12-18-2012, 11:59 PM
I wish we'd give Nando more minutes. I know Pop treats Parker like his faux French fag son, but damn, when Parker is in a slump it is a brutal thing to watch.

letmk
12-19-2012, 12:01 AM
Sure he can. Manu's biggest problem right now is shot selection. Most of his threes are short (still can get in better shape) and until he adjusts, he needs to drive more.

I'm not sure it's because of poor shape. He never fights for rebounds like this season, and his defense, such as the block on Brewer's cut (called foul). is really aggressive and encouraging. Yet he can't seem to find much success on the drive.

Mugen
12-19-2012, 12:02 AM
putting up det stat line at 36yo on a b2b is ridiculous. Shame it was wasted on a loss.

loss is on TP. excusable since he's carried the team the last couple of weeks.

Pop continues his tough stretch of coaching. That Green/Neal backcourt to start the 2nd was mind boggling.

BillMc
An additional thought:

Yeah, I'd love to see the extended run of quality Boris had last year again. One gets the impression he's a little bored (purely conjecture, I know). I'm not sure if he's dialed it down most games because its early in the regular season or because he got his contract. But "hungry" Boris needs to return.

timvp
Didn't really score much (if at all) in that 3rd/4th quarter. Looks more like a facilitator.That's what Diaw is: a fifth option facilitator. Recently, he was just a guy who jogged aimlessly around the court.

But don't you think that his TO's lately are a cause for concern? In the last six games, he has 15 turnovers to 13 assists. For a guy who is known for his passing, he simply can't play like this.Well, lately he has sucked, so that has been a concern. When he's going right, he's a low mistake player. But when he's in his lazy mode mixed with his hide-from-the-ball mode, he turns into a high mistake player since he's always in a rush to get rid of the ball because he doesn't want any of the responsibility on his shoulders.

Hopefully Diaw can bottle how he played late against the Nuggets and take that forward.

Malik Hairston
12-19-2012, 12:03 AM
Virtually all of Ginobili's misses are short..barring a physical setback, I'm also encouraged by his progression from earlier in the season..

Adjusting to short misses isn't difficult for a shooter of Ginobili's caliber..his shot selection shouldn't change, he hasn't been one-dimensional..

timvp
12-19-2012, 12:03 AM
I wish we'd give Nando more minutes. I know Pop treats Parker like his faux French fag son, but damn, when Parker is in a slump it is a brutal thing to watch.

Tonight De Colo got benched for poor transition defense.

Darius McCrary
12-19-2012, 12:05 AM
"Patty Mills doesn't really do anything to hurt you, he just hits threes. I mean, he doesn't hurt you, he just scores 3 pointers"
--Nuggets announcers

HI-FI
12-19-2012, 12:06 AM
Diaw sounds like a more talented, slightly more expensive version of Bonner. when he has a decent game people hope it will continue and we'll see it in the playoffs. we'll see.

SpursRock20
12-19-2012, 12:06 AM
Virtually all of Ginobili's misses are short..barring a physical setback, I'm also encouraged by his progression from earlier in the season..

Adjusting to short misses isn't difficult for a shooter of Ginobili's caliber..his shot selection shouldn't change, he hasn't been one-dimensional..

I'm not looking at the stats, but from memory it seems that he is shooting an inordinate amount of 3's. More of his shots need to come from attacking imo.

SpursRock20
12-19-2012, 12:09 AM
"Patty Mills doesn't really do anything to hurt you, he just hits threes. I mean, he doesn't hurt you, he just scores 3 pointers"
--Nuggets announcers

:lol How about this one: "Duncan did not get out of the lane once on that possession! He was there for 5 or 6 seconds!" [replay begins] "Okay, there's Duncan in the paint. 1...2...3... he gets out of the lane" [sileeeeeeeeeeeeeeence] "........and then dunks the basketball".

HI-FI
12-19-2012, 12:10 AM
worst announcers I've heard, and I thought everyone was overreacting. He sounded like a stoned homer with a sinus problem.

Boomersgold
12-19-2012, 12:11 AM
--Nuggets announcers

Lol'd hard at that one.

DPG21920
12-19-2012, 12:11 AM

That's interesting since not every player is held to the same standard - especially over the past couple years.

Yes the schedule was tough, yes the Spurs were missing players, but I'm not big on silver linings or excuses. Losing 4 straight (something the team never did last year until the WCF) is beyond disappointing. I agree with your overall assessment that things can be salvaged, but without the excuses. Just call it poor and move on.

Boomersgold
12-19-2012, 12:12 AM
Fuck Green and Jax were pitiful. TP just disappeared

Mills was great, he's played shit lately but obviously was good on offence and even played passable defence, late steal was key

Duncan should be an all star

He hasn't played shit lately. As a scorer, he's done well off the bench.

Boomersgold
:lol How about this one: "Duncan did not get out of the lane once on that possession! He was there for 5 or 6 seconds!" [replay begins] "Okay, there's Duncan in the paint. 1...2...3... he gets out of the lane" [sileeeeeeeeeeeeeeence] "........and then dunks the basketball".

I was just about to post that. LOL

letmk

It's actually quite funny. You know, normally local announcers are biased, such as our beloved Sean, but these guys are just plain ignorant.

SpursRock20
12-19-2012, 12:13 AM
That's interesting since not every player is held to the same standard - especially over the past couple years.

Yes the schedule was tough, yes the Spurs were missing players, but I'm not big on silver linings or excuses. Losing 4 straight (something the team never did last year until the WCF) is beyond disappointing. I agree with your overall assessment that things can be salvaged, but without the excuses. Just call it poor and move on.

We had a nice win sandwitched between four losses. So we lost 4 out of 5, how's that for a silver lining?

Malik Hairston
12-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Diaw is the big man version of Mike Miller, tbh..

DPG21920
12-19-2012, 12:14 AM
We had a nice win sandwitched between four losses. So we lost 4 out of 5, how's that for a silver lining?

True - misspoke.

SpursRock20
12-19-2012, 12:18 AM
It's actually quite funny. You know, normally local announcers are biased, such as our beloved Sean, but these guys are just plain ignorant.

That's so true. Another thing about Sean and Bill is that they know that they are homers. They call themselves out on it at least once a game. They almost always notice bad calls that go our way. The only thing that you can really knock them on is that they get very emotionally involved in the game (like us fans). But I'm all for it, makes the game more entertaining.

Blake
12-19-2012, 12:26 AM
An additional thought:

Do the Spurs really like or need him at that weight?

If he slimmed down to run the court better, would the Spurs lose a big?

letmk
12-19-2012, 12:27 AM
That's so true. Another thing about Sean and Bill is that they know that they are homers. They call themselves out on it at least once a game. They almost always notice bad calls that go our way. The only thing that you can really knock them on is that they get very emotionally involved in the game (like us fans). But I'm all for it, makes the game more entertaining.

Exactly. Sean would argue for all the 50-50 calls for the Spurs. But if it's a bad call in our favor, he would say it's a payback as the officials missed a few calls for us before that. But these guys, even after watching the replay, still tried to say that Tim fouled Faried on that missed dunk.

Dr. Robert Lee
12-19-2012, 12:27 AM
Yeah, he completely lost his man a few times there. I'm not sure what was up with that.

Floyd Pacquiao
12-19-2012, 12:33 AM
spurs showed great intensity late in the game unfortunately spurs lost the game in the 2nd and 3rd with turnovers and defensive rebounding. Spurs just got to go home and regroup, hopefully get kawhi back and start stacking up the wins on this nice home stand.

timtonymanu
12-19-2012, 12:41 AM
Not too worried. Truthfully, the Spurs faced 3 great home teams and Portland, who always gives them fits.

I expected them to struggle during this stretch. I didn't catch much of the game, but good to hear this team fought hard again and almost took the win. The schedule will begin to even out and this team is doing an outstanding job so far.

DPG21920
12-19-2012, 12:56 AM
The Spurs do fight hard, but it seems like most teams make runs, even when down big. The key is to not let average players (like Gallo) go off on you and rip your heart out and go through massive let downs in execution, defense and scoring.

Let's hope the Spurs do in fact take advantage of their really easy schedule coming up because if not, the excuses will be tougher to come by and they massively need homecourt advantage to have even a homer-shot realistic shot at beating OKC (and perhaps a few other teams) in the playoffs.

racm
12-19-2012, 01:11 AM
4 losses in 5 games may suck, but the worst of the schedule is over.

27 games in ~40 days with more road meetings? Even younger teams would be winded.

Sean Cagney
12-19-2012, 01:14 AM

27 games in ~40 days with more road meetings? Even younger teams would be winded.

Yeah you are right, it's almost the league set them up to fail miserably with that schedule, like it was a lockout season or some shit rushing the games. I am glad most of it is out of the way! GOOD LORD.

mathbzh
12-19-2012, 01:15 AM
Hopefully Diaw can bottle how he played late against the Nuggets and take that forward.

Unfortunately he never does that :(

Sometime it is like he makes a point that he is not a star.
("crap... did I score 20? I'd better stop shooting before the fans get excited ")

ThaBigFundamental21
12-19-2012, 01:21 AM
WOW!!! Tim looked amazing tonight. Can someone pull up a stat on the last time Tim scored 30??? Because honestly I don't think it's been for 3 or 4 years now. It was awesome to see this game in person, he may very well not have another game like this. He was truly dominant. No one could cover this guy, he was clowning Denver. Way to much for Faried to handle, or Koufus! I was praying he would get 2 more rebounds so he could go 30 and 20. He had a couple more in his hands, one Jackson and him got there the same time, he let Jackson take the rebound, and another with Diaw. Truly a selfless player. I got some pics at the game, nothing great. The pic of him sinking his 30th point on a FT is lousy quality. :( What a game. We have to enjoy this while we have The Big Fundamental guys! He is something special!

AussieFanKurt
12-19-2012, 01:36 AM
He hasn't played shit lately. As a scorer, he's done well off the bench.

you are too biased, he has made poor decisions and had the odd okay game, in his minutes today was the first he's played really well in a while

LakerHater
12-19-2012, 01:37 AM
Tim's gonna need a weeks rest after playin 40:02 minutes!

jestersmash
12-19-2012, 01:40 AM

Good eye. I agree, this is incredibly encouraging.

I don't mind short misses at all. Ginobili's shot early in the season was off left/right which was concering at first, but I'm going to go ahead and chalk that aberration up to his ailing back. If he was shooting through pain, then it's understandable why he'd miss left/right.

Boomersgold
12-19-2012, 01:47 AM
you are too biased, he has made poor decisions and had the odd okay game, in his minutes today was the first he's played really well in a while

I'm not too biased. I know that, as an aussie, you're trying to sound unbiased in giving him praise for his performance tonight, but the fact is that relative to everyone else's performances these last few games, he's done fine (The team hasn't performed very well lately).

"He's made poor decisions and played the odd game".

In his last 2-3 games, Mills has only played in garbage time and in garbage time, Pop plays him as a sg and relegates him to a spot up shooter role. He doesn't have the ball in his hands. You can't make "poor decisions" when all you've done is set shooting.

99 Problems
12-19-2012, 02:03 AM
With Mills, Bogut and Kyrie Irving, a medal at next Olympics for Australia.

Brunodf
12-19-2012, 02:18 AM
With Mills, Bogut and Kyrie Irving, a medal at next Olympics for Australia.

Didn't he say that he would like to play for USA?

Stabula
12-19-2012, 02:59 AM
-Yeah it sucks to see the Spurs lose but, damn, this team doesn't give up. Pop gave up last night in the third quarter.

Fireball
12-19-2012, 03:24 AM
Pop gave up last night in the third quarter.

then he would not have played Timmy the whole 4th quarter ...

AussieFanKurt
12-19-2012, 03:45 AM
I'm not too biased. I know that, as an aussie, you're trying to sound unbiased in giving him praise for his performance tonight, but the fact is that relative to everyone else's performances these last few games, he's done fine (The team hasn't performed very well lately).

"He's made poor decisions and played the odd game".

In his last 2-3 games, Mills has only played in garbage time and in garbage time, Pop plays him as a sg and relegates him to a spot up shooter role. He doesn't have the ball in his hands. You can't make "poor decisions" when all you've done is set shooting.

Stupid take, I am not trying to sound unbiased I am speaking truth. Maybe you don't watch the games but for example his effort vs the Trailblazers was so shit. We all have bad games etc etc but he hasn't done fine, he's done average. I am hoping that changes after todays great performance. You are already the laughing stock of upstairs and downstairs for jizzing over Mills. Hes a great bloke and I want him to do well but meh team first

polandprzem
12-19-2012, 03:48 AM
spurs are tired

Boomersgold
12-19-2012, 03:55 AM
Stupid take, I am not trying to sound unbiased I am speaking truth. Maybe you don't watch the games but for example his effort vs the Trailblazers was so shit. We all have bad games etc etc but he hasn't done fine, he's done average. I am hoping that changes after todays great performance. You are already the laughing stock of upstairs and downstairs for jizzing over Mills. Hes a great bloke and I want him to do well but meh team first

By fine, I meant "average". I'm a huge fan of Mills just like everyone else is about their favourite player.

"We all have bad games etc etc but he hasn't done fine, he's done average."
Exactly. I never said he's played great. I said he's done fine RELATIVE to everyone else, which is a fair comment as no one's had an outstanding performance these last few games (except Duncan maybe). The "he played shit part" was unnecessary because everyone's "played shit".

You can't single him out and say that he's played shit, when every other player's done just as bad or worse. Patty, as a SG on offense and PG on defense, scored 7 points against the Blazers with all of his shots coming from spot-up shots . That's exactly what Pop wants out of him. Again, if you want to say someone's played shit, then give reasons as to why you think they did played poorly, like timvp with his game thoughts. You can't just say "He's shit, fuck, let's trade him, etc". That would put you on the tier of "shittiest" posters of Spurstalk (not that I'm saying you are, nowhere close).

I try to put a bit of thought into my posts and commend all players that play well.

Fireball
12-19-2012, 04:01 AM
spurs are tired

And they should be ... this schedule was horrible, but this time we will be rewarded later in the season. Still its encouraging that Timmy can produce such a statline at the end of the tough road schedule. Splitter ist still doing very good, but Diaw showed aggression in the 4th quarter (which is good) which led to Tiago not seeing the floor again at the end of the game. SJax and Green sucked big time. Hopefully Kawhi returns healthy and with a vengeance to improve the overall defense again. We need him against guys like Galinari ...

polandprzem
12-19-2012, 04:03 AM
Well seriously there something wrong with the spurs. No way they should have lost all those games and have such unsuccessful stretch.
There might be a time to worry as some spurs players are fading. But we will see what's gonna change after full workout session.

Meanwhile Lakers won 3 in a row now

Obstructed_View
12-19-2012, 04:04 AM

That'll teach him.

crc21209
12-19-2012, 04:05 AM
Tim's gonna need a weeks rest after playin 40:02 minutes!

He was going off in the 4th quarter, and didn't seem to miss a beat. I love his attitude after the game in his post-game interview. A reporter asked him if he was aware that he was going to play 40 minutes tonight. Tim replied by saying that the coaching staff decides the minutes, and he just goes and plays. You could tell he had a sour taste in his mouth after tonight. The guy is a winner, and hates to lose...:tu

polandprzem
12-19-2012, 04:05 AM
And they should be ... this schedule was horrible, but this time we will be rewarded later in the season. Still its encouraging that Timmy can produce such a statline at the end of the tough road schedule. Splitter ist still doing very good, but Diaw showed aggression in the 4th quarter (which is good) which led to Tiago not seeing the floor again at the end of the game. SJax and Green sucked big time. Hopefully Kawhi returns healthy and with a vengeance to improve the overall defense again. We need him against guys like Galinari ...

Damn why we need to have hope for everything.
I want to be sure that Kawhi gonna be back and produce. Same with Jack. Same I want to be sure how Neal gonna produce etc etc

tired tired tired

crc21209
12-19-2012, 04:06 AM
The Spurs do fight hard, but it seems like most teams make runs, even when down big. The key is to not let average players (like Gallo) go off on you and rip your heart out and go through massive let downs in execution, defense and scoring.

Let's hope the Spurs do in fact take advantage of their really easy schedule coming up because if not, the excuses will be tougher to come by and they massively need homecourt advantage to have even a homer-shot realistic shot at beating OKC (and perhaps a few other teams) in the playoffs.

FWIW, Gallinari didn't shoot the ball well. He only shot 9-21. And I have to say that that 3 pointer over Diaw was a complete fluke. He shot a step back 3 pointer with hardly any legs on that shot, and it went in...

Fireball
12-19-2012, 04:17 AM
Damn why we need to have hope for everything.
I want to be sure that Kawhi gonna be back and produce. Same with Jack. Same I want to be sure how Neal gonna produce etc etc.

Only stars produce every night ... we should get rid of the idea that players such as Neal, Green and SJax (in his age) will produce consistently. Kawhi has star potential and thats why we need him back. We need a guy we can rely on any given night ...

Bruno
12-19-2012, 04:21 AM
The team was tired which was logical given their schedule but props to them for keep fighting.

Aside of that:
-Duncan is awesome.
-Again, Pop REALLY needs to find his rotation. Spurs have played a third of the season, it's time to settle. he has to stop changing his rotation every quarter and try lineups that are destined to fail.
- Green is getting more and more monodimensional. This year he is just a streaky 3 point shooter that is a decent defender. Last year, he was way more than that and he had especially a knack for doing all the little things that require hustle and poise. Maybe he got too comfy with his new contract, maybe he is playing too much minutes and is tired but he should get back at how he played last year. The stat that show maybe the most that change is that he goes 4 times less at the line than last year.
- What's the point of having both Mills and Neal? They are both awfully similar in what tehyc oudl bring to Spurs (instant offense and 3 point shooting from the SG spot).

freetiago
12-19-2012, 04:49 AM
Mills seems to be a better spot up shooter
probably the best on the team
neal is more of a rhythm type player
he either has really hot nights or really cold nights

racm
12-19-2012, 05:49 AM
Green is playing out of position and it shows. He's better at SG than SF, he's got problems with the bigger/taller 3s like Durant and Gallo.

Neal isn't doing well after showing great performances every now and then. When the Spurs need buckets he can deliver but the added minutes don't help him.

will_spurs
12-19-2012, 06:13 AM
Diaw sounds like a more talented, slightly more expensive version of Bonner. when he has a decent game people hope it will continue and we'll see it in the playoffs. we'll see.

You must have missed the playoffs last year.

George Gervin's Afro
12-19-2012, 08:38 AM
The team looked fatigued...

Fireball
12-19-2012, 08:41 AM
The team looked fatigued...

except 36 year old Timmy D :lol

Jordanobili2320
12-19-2012, 10:02 AM
TIMVP is one of your random thoughts that we FOR SURE need anothe rim protector? Its getting insane what other teams can do to us on the glass and has to be addressed ASAP.

weebo
12-19-2012, 10:04 AM
When you're 36 year old PF is dropping 30 that bullshit excuse of being "fatigued" goes out the window. I call it lazy. Lazy passing, lazy rebounding, lazy transition defense, etc....

Jordanobili2320
12-19-2012, 10:08 AM
When you're 36 year old PF is dropping 30 that bullshit excuse of being "fatigued" goes out the window. I call it lazy. Lazy passing, lazy rebounding, lazy transition defense, etc....

this. the lazy rebounding NEEDS to be addressed we are getting murdered on the boards.

Paranoid Pop
12-19-2012, 12:37 PM
SJax looks really slow, makes me wonder is he should not be a full time back up PF and not be put on 3s anymore...

Boris on the other did good at the three a while ago and looked good vs Gallo evn tho he allowed two big 3s, he blocked him at the rim, got at least an offensive rebound...

I think we need two playmakers at all time but that may still be Boris' in the starting unit.

TP KY Boris Tiago Tim

with SJax being the 3rd big, more a stretch big than Boris since he shoots it when he's open and not fool's gold like Bonner

Giant lineup.

Pop would most likely not do it at least vs the Thunder but I believe Boris could switch on Thabo on D.

CubanMustGo
12-19-2012, 01:00 PM
You know what? Travel is hard on anyone, changing timezones constantly sucks, having to load up, get to the airport, get on the plane, wait to take off, fly, land, taxi, get off the plane and on another bus, check into the hotel, all that shit. There's a reason road teams lose so many games in the NBA and what Stern has done to the Spurs makes it that much worse. In the last 30 days:

- San Antonio has played 16 games
- 12 of those games have been on the road, and one of the four home games was sandwiched in a stretch of six away games (and between two sets of back to backs).

And let's look at the last eight games, of which the Spurs have lost three:

Dec 7 Houston - CENTRAL time zone.
Dec 8 @ Charlotte - EASTERN time zone, and the second of a Home/Away B2B
Dec 10 @ Houston - CENTRAL time zone.
Dec 12 @ Utah - MOUNTAIN time zone.
Dec 13 @ Portland - PACIFIC time zone (second of a B2B). Four games across the continent in six days!
Dec 15 Boston - CENTRAL time zone, whoo, home for a whole game
Dec 17 @ OKC - hey, same time zone, thanks Stern
Dec 18 @ Denver - MOUNTAIN time zone (second of a B2B)

That kind of travel gets old. And three B2Bs in 8 games? Fuck that shit.

Strategic
12-19-2012, 01:02 PM
That's what Diaw is: a fifth option facilitator. Recently, he was just a guy who jogged aimlessly around the court.

Well, lately he has sucked, so that has been a concern. When he's going right, he's a low mistake player. But when he's in his lazy mode mixed with his hide-from-the-ball mode, he turns into a high mistake player since he's always in a rush to get rid of the ball because he doesn't want any of the responsibility on his shoulders.

Sorry, but I don't see Boris Diaw getting mentally ramped up until the playoffs. I just don't. Because of this I think Pop should never be concerned with resting him.

Horse
12-19-2012, 01:44 PM
What gets me is the unforced turnovers I've seen more already than I ever remember from a Pop-coached team. That could have alot to do with all the different rotations but once their healthy it should straighten out.

RodNIc91
12-19-2012, 02:09 PM
- What's the point of having both Mills and Neal? They are both awfully similar in what tehyc oudl bring to Spurs (instant offense and 3 point shooting from the SG spot).

I think they are shopping mills. I agree with you that they both bring the same to the table, except for a few things here and there. Although, it makes me wonder if they're shopping several players with a target in mind, for a bit of salary cap relief, or if they're interested in bringing aron bynes (fingers crossed )

Paranoid Pop
12-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Also it's funny how the rebounding between Tiago and Diaw inversed now that Tiago is playing next to Tim...

KY can't come back soon enough... Will allow Pop to stop throwing shit against the wall as far as the rotations are concerned... Hopefully.

Maddog
12-19-2012, 04:44 PM

You know what? Travel is hard on anyone, changing timezones constantly sucks, having to load up, get to the airport, get on the plane, wait to take off, fly, land, taxi, get off the plane and on another bus, check into the hotel, all that shit. There's a reason road teams lose so many games in the NBA and what Stern has done to the Spurs makes it that much worse. In the last 30 days:

- San Antonio has played 16 games
- 12 of those games have been on the road, and one of the four home games was sandwiched in a stretch of six away games (and between two sets of back to backs).

And let's look at the last eight games, of which the Spurs have lost three:

Dec 7 Houston - CENTRAL time zone.
Dec 8 @ Charlotte - EASTERN time zone, and the second of a Home/Away B2B
Dec 10 @ Houston - CENTRAL time zone.
Dec 12 @ Utah - MOUNTAIN time zone.
Dec 13 @ Portland - PACIFIC time zone (second of a B2B). Four games across the continent in six days!
Dec 15 Boston - CENTRAL time zone, whoo, home for a whole game
Dec 17 @ OKC - hey, same time zone, thanks Stern
Dec 18 @ Denver - MOUNTAIN time zone (second of a B2B)

That kind of travel gets old. And three B2Bs in 8 games? Fuck that shit.

8 games 12 days with a flight in between each game. Even the Houston road game (normally a short hop from SA) was after an east coast game and did they get a short flight to SA to have a game? nope on to Utah.

Jeez- when you really look at it closely it's even worse than you think. Add in you have no natural small forwards and one of your big 3 is out/out of sync...
I am only mildly disappointed. If they could have pulled out one of those losses I would probably be contented.

therealtruth
12-19-2012, 06:50 PM
FWIW, Gallinari didn't shoot the ball well. He only shot 9-21. And I have to say that that 3 pointer over Diaw was a complete fluke. He shot a step back 3 pointer with hardly any legs on that shot, and it went in...

Guys been saying stuff like that for years. When do we realize our defense just isn't good enough? For instance Ibaka just had a really good shooting game. Our defense allows teams to get in rhythm that allows them to knock down ridiculous shots and get career nights on us. The defense has to be more physical and mess with the other team's rhythm. Just the same way Hack-A-Bad-freethrow-shooter throws off the offense, really good defense does the same thing.

maverick1948
12-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Guys been saying stuff like that for years. When do we realize our defense just isn't good enough? For instance Ibaka just had a really good shooting game. Our defense allows teams to get in rhythm that allows them to knock down ridiculous shots and get career nights on us. The defense has to be more physical and mess with the other team's rhythm. Just the same way Hack-A-Bad-freethrow-shooter throws off the offense, really good defense does the same thing.

You made a valid point but then you took it and destroyed yourself. Other teams make shots, but it seems like it happens to us all the time. It does every game someone makes shots. Our D has not been great the last few games, but when Ibaka made his first 2 shots, I told my wife the only way to stop him was to tell Stephen Jackson to keep his damn mouth shut. As for Kevin Martin hitting his first 5 of 6, that is just Martin. He is a streak shooter. Against Gallo, we let him shoot because he is not that great 3 point %. 31 %. Jackson got destroyed several times on D against him. Boris got beat a couple of times. And Green was just too small to content with his height. Forget this game and move on to the next one.

Fabbs
12-19-2012, 08:14 PM
I'm not looking at the stats, but from memory it seems that he is shooting an inordinate amount of 3's. More of his shots need to come from attacking imo.
2-9 Ginobili
1-8 Green
3-17 from two guards is utter b.s. If they are hot fine. If they are medium, fine. But to just keep chucking Phx Suns D 'Antoni style is the new.....
Part of the pussification of the Spurs 2008 - present orchestrated, condoned nay encouraged by :pop:
Sad to see what has become of Spurs philosophy of taking the ball to the rack and playing with a set.

timvp
12-19-2012, 08:30 PM
Part of the pussification of the Spurs 2008 - present orchestrated, condoned nay encouraged by :pop:
Sad to see what has become of Spurs philosophy of taking the ball to the rack and playing with a set.

In 2007, the Spurs shot three-pointers at rate of about 11% above average.

This season, the Spurs shoot three-pointers at a rate of about *gasp* 11% above average.

racm
12-19-2012, 08:45 PM

This season, the Spurs shoot three-pointers at a rate of about *gasp* 11% above average.

if anything this season the Spurs are less reliant on threes than the past two seasons. Why? Instead of stubbornly using the 4-down over and over the Spurs offense has incorporated more off-ball cuts. I think Jerry Sloan had a hand in that.

Fabbs
12-19-2012, 08:53 PM

Stat guy: 2007 was the most different team then any of the other three title years. Mike Finley was dropping them in the post season.
Like i said, when they are hot or even medium, fine.

In 2007 how many 3-17 bullshit games by two players did they have? Better yet, in all three of the other Champ years how many times did they pull this three point chucking/no drive to the hoop stuff.

If you think GNob is driving just as much as previous, you're on crack.

TheSkeptic
12-19-2012, 09:00 PM
except 36 year old Timmy D :lol

Disagree actually. TD looked really tired as well to me. He just fought through his fatigue and then guys like Manu and Diaw had more energy than everybody else because they were both resting one way or another during this road trip. Working more from the post preserved him a bit on offense and I've found that in general Duncan's rebounding/boxing out is so fundamentally sound that he doesn't usually need to strain himself on the glass because of the way he recovers on defense.

It actually made his game that much more impressive to me.

BackHome
12-19-2012, 10:02 PM
You must have missed the playoffs last year.

I don't care what he did last year I care what he is doing today.

letmk
12-19-2012, 10:24 PM

You need to look at things case by case. For Ibaka, it's obviously bad defense, or at very least bad defense strategy, since he is more than wide open for those mid-range jump shots. In terms of Gallinari, I think the defense is decent.

racm
12-19-2012, 10:38 PM
I think the problem is that the Spurs know how to defend a guy like Gallinari who does have the ability to score from anywhere on the court sans elite foul-drawing but not pick and pop stretch bigs like Ibaka.

Brazil
12-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Mills sucks tbh fwiw

Boomersgold
12-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Mills sucks tbh fwiw

15 points on 5 of 8 threes in 17 minutes of playing time? He can't be that bad....:lol

Paranoid Pop
12-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Mills' problem is that he has to be paired with a point guard. But De Colo Mills could be a decent pairing.

Brazil
12-20-2012, 01:16 PM
15 points on 5 of 8 threes in 17 minutes of playing time? He can't be that bad....:lol

:lol I was just trying to be a smart ass

DPG21920
12-20-2012, 01:18 PM
I think Mills has a lot of talent. Definitely has limitations, but he's young & fast and can score. Anyone that can beat team USA and lead the Olympics in scoring definitely can ball. People forget how well he did when he started those two games when TP was out. Given, very small sample size and the opponents weren't exactly world beaters, but he has shown more than enough flashes to be given opportunity.

timvp
12-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Anyone that can beat team USAFail.

the opponents weren't exactly world beatersStill an overstatement, tbh. The Suns after Nash had openly quit on the team and the Warriors starting five rookies in a blatant attempt to tank because they would have lost their lottery pick if they win = two of the worst teams of all-time

Boomersgold
12-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Fail.

Still an overstatement, tbh. The Suns after Nash had openly quit on the team and the Warriors starting five rookies in a blatant attempt to tank because they would have lost their lottery pick if they win = two of the worst teams of all-time

Keep in mind that Nash actually played in that game. As everyone knew that the game would probably be Nash's last game as a Sun, I'm sure that the Suns had an extra incentive to win that game. They didn't exactly go into the game thinking, "it's our last game of the season and we won't make the playoffs, let's just give up the win and play around."

DPG21920
12-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Fail.

Still an overstatement, tbh. The Suns after Nash had openly quit on the team and the Warriors starting five rookies in a blatant attempt to tank because they would have lost their lottery pick if they win = two of the worst teams of all-time

:lol at timvp using internet meme's like "fail". Don't know why, but it makes me laugh. I was wrong - I thought I remembered Aussies beating USA in a game where Mills played very well. Either way, what is your point by pointing that out and arguing against what I said.

Unless you are being obtuse, you get what I meant when I say he has talent. You say things like fail while failing to make a statement of your own to contradict what I said. Sure, Aussies may not have beaten USA (I wasnt talking about this last Olympics - there was a game before I thought Aussies had won), but he did lead the Olympics in PPG average, he did do very well in TP's absence and whether or not you think I didn't qualify it enough has no bearing on what I thought. Either you agree or you don't, but pointing out the semantics of the argument while neither agreeing nor disagreeing does nothing tbh..

timvp
12-20-2012, 10:26 PM
"Fail" is a quicker way to say "Sorry, you are wrong my good sir. The reason for your error should be self-evident." I didn't feel like wasting words, tbh.

Oh, sorry, to be honest. Forgot about your aversion to abbreviations.

will_spurs
12-21-2012, 05:41 AM
I don't care what he did last year I care what he is doing today.

Typical of the "what have you done for me lately" mentality that sucks on this board.

Strategic
12-21-2012, 07:33 AM
Typical of the "what have you done for me lately" mentality that sucks on this board.

Well, it is a conversation board. It beats "sitting on our hands" all day, A virtual world it is!

will_spurs
12-21-2012, 09:06 AM
Well, it is a conversation board. It beats "sitting on our hands" all day, A virtual world it is!

There's a difference between conversation and delusion :)

Strategic
12-21-2012, 09:40 AM
There's a difference between conversation and delusion :) Ok, it sounds like it's your day to judge. Lot's of game in the world. Happy hunting!