PDA

View Full Version : Did the Spurs sign any Undrafted FA?

Gino2882
06-29-2005, 04:10 PM
Did the Spurs sign any of the players that went undrafted?

Azuibuke, Walsh and some other good ones werent drafted.

Kennedy Winston was probably the best undrafted.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 04:12 PM
They can't sign anyone yet. They can't start signing people until after July 22.

Gino2882
06-29-2005, 04:13 PM
Not even undrafted FAs? I just heard on Around the Horn that the Celtics signed Coppenrath?

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 04:17 PM
I thought they couldn't sign them until after July 22. But maybe they can because it's not July 1 yet? I'm not sure.

Solid D
06-29-2005, 04:17 PM
Undrafted FAs were contacted by various teams as early as last night. Word will come in on various players over the next few days. Coppenrath was probably invited to the Celtics camp and Summer league.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 04:18 PM
Undrafted FAs were contacted by various teams as early as last night. Word will come in on various players over the next few days. Coppenrath was probably invited to the Celtics camp and Summer league.

Yeah I know they can contact them, but do they have to wait until after July 22 to sign them?

Dre_7
06-29-2005, 04:23 PM
Spurs need to sign Mike Wilkinson!!

Solid D
06-29-2005, 04:28 PM
Yeah I know they can contact them, but do they have to wait until after July 22 to sign them?
It's worth checking into. I remember someone signing a make-good deal during summer league a few years ago...but I'm not sure if that was after the signing date or not.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 04:29 PM
From Larry Coon.. these are the only people who can sign during the moratorium:

So during the July Moratorium, you may see:

Teams signing their first round draft picks (to a standard rookie "scale" contract -- see question 38 )

Teams signing their second round draft picks (for one season at the minimum salary, or one season plus an option year at the minimum salary).

Teams re-signing players who have finished the fourth season of their rookie "scale" contract (for the raise specified in the scale -- see the salary scale )

Teams re-signing players who are subject to the right of first refusal (for 125% of their previous salary, or the minimum salary plus $150,000, whichever is greater, see question 34 )

All other contacts must wait until the moratorium ends to be signed.

jcrod
06-29-2005, 04:36 PM
An assortment of players who went undrafted could be on the Mavericks' radar to sign as free agents. The Mavericks hit a jackpot with Daniels, who went undrafted two years ago.

Less than an hour after the draft, the Mavs had signed Michael Harris from Rice and Rawle Marshall from Oakland (Mich.) University to their summer league team.

"There are no Marquis Daniels promises, but we're hoping we can get a couple of guys into summer camp," Nelson said.

A few possibilities: Alabama's 6-6 Kennedy Winston, North Carolina's 6-9 Jawad Williams and Kansas' 6-4 Keith Langford, a North Crowley High alumnus.

Dallas signed a couple

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 04:38 PM
Less than an hour after the draft, the Mavs had signed Michael Harris from Rice and Rawle Marshall from Oakland (Mich.) University to their summer league team.

That doesn't mean they gave them an NBA contract. It means they agreed to play for their summer league team.

jcrod
06-29-2005, 04:41 PM
Well isn't that what were talking about. I doubt that any team would sign a undrafted player to an NBA contract this soon.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 04:42 PM
Well isn't that what were talking about. I doubt that any team would sign a undrafted player to an NBA contract this soon.

The person who started this thread is talking about signing players to contracts. Of course, they can make agreements for players to play on summer league teams. I know players who agreed to play for certain NBA summer league teams over a month ago.

SpursChampsIII
06-29-2005, 04:47 PM
I would like to see the Spurs give Banks a try.

texbumTHElife
06-29-2005, 05:38 PM
Spurs, please give Matt Walsh a call.

Kori Ellis
07-01-2005, 01:30 PM
Matt Walsh has been invited to participate in summer leagues with two different organizations, his agent, Jason Levien, confirmed Thursday.

Walsh, the former Florida basketball player, will play with the Miami Heat's summer league team in Los Angeles on July 5, then play with the Seattle Super Sonics in Salt Lake City, Utah, the week of July 12.