PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Restricted Area

AussieFanKurt
12-19-2012, 03:47 AM
This has to be one of the dumbest rules in the NBA. What is the point in playing good D if someone can just run over you and get the foul

Tuddy
12-19-2012, 03:58 AM
What about Lebron being allowed to take 3 steps every time he goes to the hole or rondo carrying the ball around the court?

Clipper Nation
12-19-2012, 07:54 AM
What about Lebron being allowed to take 3 steps every time he goes to the hole or rondo carrying the ball around the court?

Or Durant and Food Stamps Bryant parading to the line just for existing and showing up at the arena on time?

AussieFanKurt
12-19-2012, 08:02 AM
One of the dumbest rules. Travels and carries are just refs no calls, I'm talking about a rule in place

purplengold
12-19-2012, 10:22 AM
that shit was added like in 1998 I think n I never knew why. I assume it was made ta allow more poster dunks n maybe help Shaq out

thunderfan
12-19-2012, 10:49 AM
The restricted area is meant to encourage defense, IMO. Without the restricted area, a defender doesn't necessarily have to give a whole lot of thought defensively at the rim. Just stand under the basket and get in the way. Take the contact and draw a charge. An offensive player should be required to have body control on his way to the goal, but once a player reaches that restricted area, he's usually going airborne. Without the restricted area, it's way too easy for a defender to simply "jump under" an offensive player who is airborne. The restricted area encourages defenders to actually defend and contest the shot, rather than just sliding under the offensive player. I don't know what the OP means by playing good D and getting run over. Playing good D, at least at the rim, is contesting the shot. Not falling on the floor.

TheRealCB
12-19-2012, 01:13 PM
The restricted area is meant to encourage defense, IMO. Without the restricted area, a defender doesn't necessarily have to give a whole lot of thought defensively at the rim. Just stand under the basket and get in the way. Take the contact and draw a charge. An offensive player should be required to have body control on his way to the goal, but once a player reaches that restricted area, he's usually going airborne. Without the restricted area, it's way too easy for a defender to simply "jump under" an offensive player who is airborne. The restricted area encourages defenders to actually defend and contest the shot, rather than just sliding under the offensive player. I don't know what the OP means by playing good D and getting run over. Playing good D, at least at the rim, is contesting the shot. Not falling on the floor.

This tbh.First,it wouldn't be good for the game and second it would mean less dunks.