PDA

View Full Version : Could Viktor Sanikidze Be On His Way?

timvp
06-29-2005, 04:53 PM
On this site, it says that Viktor Sanikidze is leaving Dijon (http://www.premiumwanadoo.com/stb.com/site2006/transfertproa.html). That's the team he played on last season.

I can't figure out where he is going though. Perhaps this says where, but I can't find a decent French translation.

Jacques Monclar, entraîneur de la JDA fait le point sur le travail qu'il mène avec les dirigeants dijonnais pour construire l'équipe 2005. Bilan ligne par ligne au 27 mai. Ligne arrière: La JDA est aujourd'hui sûre de compter dans ses rangs Eric Micoud et Etienne Plateau. Pour que la ligne soit complète, les dirigeants dijonnais ont aujourd'hui trois noms sur leur tablettes : Tyson Patterson (Brest) que l'entraîneur dijonnais a supervisé à l'occasion de la rencontre Brest - Nanterre. Hajaj Dror (Louvain, Belgique) et Miah Davis (Roanoke, NBL) font aussi partie des possibles. A l'inverse, Pascal Perrier-David ne sera pas reconduit. Au niveau des ailiers, la JDA a fait une offre à Rowan Barrett afin que ce dernier soit dijonnais pour la 3ème saison. L'ailier canadien et la JDA travaillent en toute transparence et attendent que la ligue statue de manière exacte sur le nombre et la nationalité d'étrangers autorisés. Si Rowan devait rester la JDA miserait sur un recrutement complémentaire. Dans le cas contraire, les dirigeants dijonnais s'orienteraient rapidement vers un scoreur. Pour cela, les Dijonnais seraient intéressés (tout en étant loin d'être les seuls) par C. C Harrisson (PBR). Pawel Storozynski est sous contrat. Charles Mandic est en fin de contrat et les deux parties ont convenu d'attendre la décision de Rowan Barrett avant d'envisager la suite. Viktor Sanikidze dispose d'une close qu'il pourrait faire valoir (Paris?). A l'intérieur, Boniface N'Dong dispose d'une close courant jusqu'au 15 Juillet, échéance que le club tente de faire avancer. A ce jour, il n'existe aucune certitude concernant le grand Sénégalais. Jérôme Monnet dispose d'une année de contrat, statut qui pourrait évoluer. Marcin Stefanski dispose encore d'une année de contrat, il sera Dijonnais l'an prochain ou prêté pour revenir. L'avenir de Rico Hill est conditionné par les nouveaux règlements. Si Dijon peut se permettre de disposer de plus de 2 US alors Rico aurait un profil intéressant. Par ailleurs, la JDA envisage la possibilité de faire revenir des produits de la formation dijonnaise (Yango, Diawara). Beaucoup de conditionnel donc dans ce point mais les incertitudes, normales à cette époque se lèveront petit à petit.

I found a thread in a Dijon forum that talks about the Spurs and how they have an option for Sanikidze this summer (I think :lol). Perhaps if someone can translate the thread, then we can get to the bottom of this.

http://www.jdaoff.com/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=20479&t=20479

Any other digging on this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks.

:hat

Gino2882
06-29-2005, 04:55 PM
Can this guy play or what?

Gino2882
06-29-2005, 04:58 PM
Here is what I could get.

"Jacques Monclar, coach of the JDA takes stock of the situation on the job which he leads with the leaders of Dijon to construct the team 2005. Balance sheet line by line on May 27th. Line delays: JDA is today sure of counting in its ranks Eric Micoud and Steven Plateau. So that the line is complete, the leaders of Dijon have three names on them bars today: Tyson Patterson (Brest) that the coach of Dijon supervised on the occasion of meeting Brest - Nanterre. Hajaj Dror (Louvain, Belgium) and Miah Davis (Roanoke, NBL) is also part of possibles. In the opposite, Pascal Perrier-David will not be seen out. At the level of the wingers, JDA made an offer to Rowan Barrett so that this last is of Dijon for the 3rd season. The Canadian winger and JDA work in any transparence and wait that the league gives a ruling in a precise way on the number and the nationality of allowed foreigners. If Rowan had to stay JDA would bet on a supplementary conscription."

timvp
06-29-2005, 05:02 PM
Can this guy play or what?

Viktor Sanikidze
(Georgia; SF; 1986; 6'8; 35 mpg, 17.6 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 2.6 spg, 3.6 topg)

The absence of Andris Biedrins left Viktor as the only NBA draftee of the tournament. Sanikidze is a long small forward with good wingspan and promising athleticism and skills, although he is still quite raw. Physically, he is very skinny, and despite good quickness and a good vertical, he needs to improve his explosiveness. He gets knocked around the post and needs to learn how to fully translate his quickness to lateral defensive movement.

He shoots with good range and mechanics but is inconsistent and uncomfortable spotting up. Near the basket he abuses his right hand to finish. He shows capable handles, but like the majority of Georgians, he has a tendency to over-dribble. He sees the floor quite well and makes good decisions when passing the rock. In general, Sanikidze displays a good attitude on the court and is quite an active player, as his rebounding production attests.

The San Antonio Spurs made a smart play by drafting this kid in the second round. He is raw, still several years away, but he could very well develop into a first-round caliber player.

That was a review of his play in the European Junior Championships at Zaragoza.

Mahinmi also played there. Here's his review:

Ian Mahinmi
(France; C; 1986; 6'10; 20.6 mpg, 7 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 1.8 bpg)

One of the most pleasant surprises of the tournament was this 6'10 French and very athletic paint player. His vertical leap is simply amazing for a guy of his size. He can jump out of the gym to grab a board or to block a shot. 7.4 rebounds and 1.8 rejections are not bad at all for 20 minutes of playing time, although he needs to improve positioning and timing. He is extremely raw, but he already shows some incipient movement in the low post and—what's really important—a very good attitude. This kid works very well without the ball to position himself under the basket. As yet he shows neither midrange nor, obviously, perimeter skills.

Physically his body is quite skinny and underdeveloped, not common at all among the French ballers. For that reason he suffers on defense getting banged around the low post. His lateral quickness is more than sufficient for his position, though. Given his physical profile, he's a guy to keep an eye on for the future.

Gino2882
06-29-2005, 05:05 PM
Viktor just turned 19 so I dont think Pop would bring him over yet.

Sounds like these 2 guys have potential.

Solid D
06-29-2005, 05:20 PM
He didn't get much PT with Dijon. If he's going to develop another year or two in Europe, he would be better off playing with a team that can give him some decent minutes.

timvp
06-29-2005, 05:36 PM
He didn't get much PT with Dijon. If he's going to develop another year or two in Europe, he would be better off playing with a team that can give him some decent minutes.

Have you heard about him leaving Dijon? Solid D is usually in the know.

:smokin

Kori Ellis
06-29-2005, 05:38 PM
Have you heard about him leaving Dijon? Solid D is usually in the know.

I heard his contract with Dijon is up. But I don't know if he is going to re-sign there, another French team, or what.

Solid D
06-29-2005, 06:01 PM
I haven't heard anything about what he plans to do but his contract is up tomorrow (6/30/05).

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.lnb.fr/index.php%3Fpid%3D9%26id%3DA16406%26from%3D2004%26 type%3D1&prev=/search%3Fq%3DBasket%2BPro%2BSanikidze%26hl%3Den%26 lr%3D

Season 2004/2005
http://www.lnb.fr/tf_images/joueurs/A16406.gif

Sanikidze Viktor
Dijon

Number: 13
Contract: from the 01/07/2004 to the 30/06/2005

Date of birth: 01/04/1986
Birthplace: Tbilissi (GEO)

Nationality: GEO

Cut: 203 cm

timvp
06-29-2005, 06:05 PM
Nice find. I wonder if the Spurs bring him over now or whether he'll go to a better French league team. Perhaps Tony Parker's Paris Basket Racing or Ian Mahinmi's Le Havre. Either way would be interesting.

Solid D
06-29-2005, 06:11 PM
I'm sure something will be said soon on Viktor. In my opinion, based on the numbers he put up and in only 14 min./game, there is no way he's ready for the NBA yet.

PBR has it's own set of problems, from what I've read. They are currently appealing a decision to bounce them from the Pro A league next year because of financial mismanagement. It's not a feel-good story for Paris right now unless it can get reversed.

ducks
06-29-2005, 06:12 PM
they could move him to austin
then they do not ahve to worry about a buyout

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-29-2005, 06:17 PM
IF he's going to stay in Europe maybe the Spurs can pull a few strings and get him on the same team as Ian.

picnroll
06-29-2005, 06:57 PM
It would be nice if they could get all these Spurs expatriates onto the same team and start inculcating them in the Spurs system.

timvp
06-29-2005, 06:58 PM
I'm sure something will be said soon on Viktor. In my opinion, based on the numbers he put up and in only 14 min./game, there is no way he's ready for the NBA yet.

PBR has it's own set of problems, from what I've read. They are currently appealing a decision to bounce them from the Pro A league next year because of financial mismanagement. It's not a feel-good story for Paris right now unless it can get reversed.

Isn't the team owned by Parker and his agent? Are they involved in the mismanagement?

IF he's going to stay in Europe maybe the Spurs can pull a few strings and get him on the same team as Ian.

Yes, that would be nice. A lot of the team's best players are leaving. Ian Mahinmi was starting pretty much all of the second half of the season and into the playoffs. If Sanikidze can join him in the starting lineup, that would be cool.

Supposedly, the Spurs are impressed with the coaching staff there.

JUUOT
06-29-2005, 08:29 PM
gents. the article only say viktor has an option on his contract. so it could very well mean nothing and he would stay in dijon. other options:

Paris does not have the right to recruit and the complete roster is in free agency. Unless there is a miracle (tony's money might not be enough) it will not be paris

it would be great to see him in le havre

another would be to see him in the nbdl.

JUUOT
06-29-2005, 08:37 PM
so TIMVP that is a good find from the dijon forum...
they talk about viktor. they talk about a knee problem but it is another player.
so concerning sanikidze here is the takes:
he was stuck on the wing as a replacement of garett that was the franchise guy. so he had limited opportunity. some say he is skinny some other that he has incredible physic.
the good point is the team had a really bad year. but fans are saying he is the only one that kept playing on defense and on the board. it sounds however he is not in the big project of Dijon which is kind of logical when you know that if you invest in this guy and he does well he is going to leave.

there board is not bad but it is hard to compare with spurstalk ... it is the best

Gino2882
06-29-2005, 09:26 PM
So is this guy the potential SF of the future? He actually sounds a lot like Mickael Gelabale and is a lot younger.

I like the report on this guy.

JUUOT
06-29-2005, 10:01 PM
selecting gelabale would have been an insurance so you know one of the two is going to be the one and you still trade the other one.
go read the thread on spours farm of talent gino 2882.
we have a center and 2 PF and a SF left even after scola coming in.
the SF C and Ian at PF are the future. i think the other PF that had the accident will only have a minimal impact if he makes it but i wish it cause he deserves.

Gino2882
06-29-2005, 11:09 PM
I have read the article. Jovtokas is the other PF right?

I just wanna know if the Spurs feel that Viktor can be their future SF.

wildbill2u
06-30-2005, 11:00 AM
Nice find. I wonder if the Spurs bring him over now or whether he'll go to a better French league team. Perhaps Tony Parker's Paris Basket Racing or Ian Mahinmi's Le Havre. Either way would be interesting.

Why couldn't the Spurs braintrust find a way to get all their Euro players on one team? :smokin

Would be cool to see Ian, Javotkas and Sanikidze playing together and getting experience in playing together.