PDA

View Full Version : New big - Rebounder or Shooter?

Captivus
12-19-2012, 09:57 PM
This is my first thread...and like a good thread i have a question...maybe not a good one...we'll see.
So, if the Spurs get a big, what kind of big is better.
Assuming we get a big that can take a jumpshot, then he could play with Tiago and Duncan.
If the big cant shoot, then Tiago and this new big wont be able to play together (?).
Depending on the scenario, Tiago could be a starter with Duncan or be on the bench (assuming the new big starts with TD).
Then again Tiago is getting more minutes and he and the new big have to be able to play together, in that case the big has to take jumpshots. I wouldnt like having to bigs under the basket because neither of them can shoot.

Im pretty sure i could have wrote the same in half the sentences...ha (what the hell, im a german living in argentina with an italian nationality...)

So, what do you think about this?

RD2191
12-19-2012, 10:03 PM
i think the spurs need a rebounder, tiago and timmy provide enough offense

ajballer4
12-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Rebounds and D

Ice009
12-19-2012, 10:18 PM
rebounder and defender, no question about it whatsoever.

Drz
12-19-2012, 10:41 PM
rebounder and defender, no question about it whatsoever.
Well... hm. I assume we want whichever leads to a higher point differential. If we lose more in offense than we gain in rebounding/defense, then getting a rebounder and defender is pointless.

I'll happily give up 4 more points per game, if we score 5 more points per game.

jermaine
12-19-2012, 10:51 PM
The Spurs will ride these soft, short pieces of shit(Blair, Bonner, Diaw) out like a real pf or C isnt what we need. I'd trade Neal(cuz im sure he's leaving after this summer), Blair, Bonner, an Cory J for whatever we can get that resemble a defensive pf. Demote Green, an keep Anderson since he knows the system an make him fight to prove himself over Green. Im sorry but ole Nobili is outta there too. Hes dam near washed up.

sananspursfan21
12-19-2012, 10:53 PM
i agree that we are still missing a rebounding/defensive big but i'm a purist in the "team chemistry" belief this year. i mean, if a steal-of-a-deal comes along, i think the fo has no choice. But that would be for a pipe-dream type of trade. i'd like to see this squad gather some more team chemistry and despite the recent rocky road, i still really believe in this team... danny green, matt bonner and all.

therealtruth
12-19-2012, 10:54 PM
How about trading for Royce White? He might get a long better with Pop than McHale.

Drz
12-19-2012, 10:58 PM
How about trading for Royce White? He might get a long better with Pop than McHale.
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac228/Gando_bucket/michael-jordan-laughing.gif

Dr. Robert Lee
12-19-2012, 11:19 PM
If we want a "shooter", then we already have one sitting on the bench in the Red Rocket, tbh. I think we need a rebounder.

jermaine
12-19-2012, 11:23 PM
i agree that we are still missing a rebounding/defensive big but i'm a purist in the "team chemistry" belief this year. i mean, if a steal-of-a-deal comes along, i think the fo has no choice. But that would be for a pipe-dream type of trade. i'd like to see this squad gather some more team chemistry and despite the recent rocky road, i still really believe in this team... danny green, matt bonner and all.
No personal disrespect, but you sound like a nieve fool. Did you see this team last yr in the playoffs. Hell they had a whole summer to gel! An plus you never know which Manu your going to get. Its time for change. Tim cant keep carrying us.

Paranoid Pop
12-19-2012, 11:41 PM
I think that Pop playing Tim and Tiago together shows that he's ready to sacrifice the spacing, the problem is that Tiago doesn't defend that well especially PFs, making the twin tower maybe a bad compromise, like the worst of both world. A big with no range so no spacing but who can't provide outstanding defense either...

Boris is not any better because he a stretch 4 who can defend relatively well but won't shoot so he doesn't provide any spacing really :downspin:. Our bigs rotation leaves a lot to be desired...

The difference between Boris and Tiago is not that big and clear to me.

I'd take a monkeyballer who can defend/rebound. A guy like Derrick Williams would be very intriguing, he has the athleticism to defend well and could even be a factor offensively.

I really question Tiago at PF, he has never impressed me defending PFs with any range, even the slower ones like Pau Gasol. I will make some people mad but I'd seriously consider trading high on him. He's too good to be a back up center and at the same time he's not a great fit so his value is wasted. I believe he's an UFA at the end of the season if I'm not mistaken so it would not be that easy to trade him either...

therealtruth
12-20-2012, 12:09 AM
I think that Pop playing Tim and Tiago together shows that he's ready to sacrifice the spacing, the problem is that Tiago doesn't defend that well especially PFs, making the twin tower maybe a bad compromise, like the worst of both world. A big with no range so no spacing but who can't provide outstanding defense either...

Boris is not any better because he a stretch 4 who can defend relatively well but won't shoot so he doesn't provide any spacing really :downspin:. Our bigs rotation leaves a lot to be desired...

I'd take a monkeyballer who can defend/rebound. A guy like Derrick Williams would be very intriguing, he has the athleticism to defend well and could even be a factor offensively.

I really question Tiago at PF, he has never impressed me defending PFs with any range, even the slower ones like Pau Gasol. I will make some people mad but I'd seriously consider trading high on him. He's too good to be a back up center and at the same time he's not a great fit so his value is wasted. I believe he's an UFA at the end of the season if I'm not mistaken so it would not be that easy to trade him either...

TD puts up monster stats and you think the Tiago and Tim lineup doesn't work?

mathbzh
12-20-2012, 12:22 AM
No personal disrespect, but you sound like a nieve fool. Did you see this team last yr in the playoffs. Hell they had a whole summer to gel! An plus you never know which Manu your going to get. Its time for change. Tim cant keep carrying us.

We made the conference finals with that team.
IMHO this is the ceiling for a team with no superstar.
The real problem is that the Big 3 is not as good as it once was.

I see a lot of name proposed but none of these guys is really better than what we already have.

If you want someone who can make a difference in the playoffs, you need to go for a high caliber big, a clear upgrade over Diaw/Splitter.
I am afraid we don't have the assets for that.

So yes, maybe the best plan is to stick with what we have and hope that Tim will play has he has been lately and that Manu/Tony will be in top form.

Brunodf
12-20-2012, 12:42 AM

1)Blair started in the last 2 seasons, did u miss that?
2)Aldridge/Gasol/Randolph disagree.

DapDaGenius
12-20-2012, 01:00 AM
Aggressive/defensive big.

sananspursfan21
12-20-2012, 01:17 AM
If you want someone who can make a difference in the playoffs, you need to go for a high caliber big, a clear upgrade over Diaw/Splitter.
I am afraid we don't have the assets for that.

So yes, maybe the best plan is to stick with what we have and hope that Tim will play has he has been lately and that Manu/Tony will be in top form.

that's what i'm saying, it's not like we can just nab any player we want. realistically, this is the best shot we have at doing anything. It's not like knicks are on the phone with us about tyson chandler or anything

sananspursfan21
12-20-2012, 01:24 AM

no disrespect taken but here's my question to you: who's your bright idea for a trade? give me 3 good reasons why any team in this league would want bonner, green, ginobili or neal, packaged or separate. why on earth would the knicks give up tyson chandler for any of those guys? some magic trade isn't going to happen. it's not naive, it's realism my friend

DapDaGenius
12-20-2012, 05:15 AM
no disrespect taken but here's my question to you: who's your bright idea for a trade? give me 3 good reasons why any team in this league would want bonner, green, ginobili or neal, packaged or separate. why on earth would the knicks give up tyson chandler for any of those guys? some magic trade isn't going to happen. it's not naive, it's realism my friend

I agree. I don't think that the Spurs can trade for any proven young(or old) athletic and productive(or even just productive) big man, as of right now.

This may sound stupid but I think the Spurs best chances of getting their next big man, is to try to get someone from the d-league really developed or getting some talent from overseas. I don't think a trade would be on our side.

Raven
12-20-2012, 06:59 AM
no need for anything really, it would only matter if we could land a young stud which we can't.

Jumi
12-20-2012, 07:23 AM
We need Diaw to play like he gives a damn! Diaw and Duncan starting with Splitter being Ducan's backup or sharing time on the court together is the recipe for sucess. The team sucks when the stretch 4 doesn't prove to be a reliable threat. I'm starting to wonder did he forget that the point of the game of basketball was to get buckets!! He's stinking up the joint right now and making it harder for us to get good looks......WHEN HE'S THE ONE WIDE OPEN!!!

It seems as if once another player on the team improves (Splitter) another one chooses to take a step backwards! (Diaw)

Captivus
12-20-2012, 08:48 AM
What are we looking for here?
Do we want another big because we only have TD and TS? Or are we looking for an upgrade in the starter line-up?

So my question is:
Would you trade for another player exactly like Splitter? So we will have 3 Bigs (TD, TS and TS"2").
Or the only thing that can help the Spurs are players like Kevin Love?

Drz
12-20-2012, 12:27 PM
it's not naive, it's realism my friend
Whoa, stop right there. He called you nieve, not naive. It's the French version of nueve.

Brazil
12-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Whoa, stop right there. He called you nieve, not naive. It's the French version of nueve.

No it's not

jermaine
12-20-2012, 02:40 PM
There are players around the league that can rebound an shoot. The problem is the Spurs trading for 1 an Pop letting them play. Im not in for trading Tiago away though. The shit we got, id rather beg Dice back, find Oberto (which I believes has a hi bbiq an knows how to move without the ball), an trade Neal, Bonner, Blair for whatever. Green if needed . Send they're asses to Detroit for Gordon an a that tall fake Tayshun prince guy. Austin Daye, yea him.

Strategic
12-20-2012, 02:45 PM
One that's 6'10" and can make a lay up and a free throw.

silverblk mystix
12-20-2012, 02:46 PM
This is my first thread...and like a good thread i have a question...maybe not a good one...we'll see.
So, if the Spurs get a big, what kind of big is better.
Assuming we get a big that can take a jumpshot, then he could play with Tiago and Duncan.
If the big cant shoot, then Tiago and this new big wont be able to play together (?).
Depending on the scenario, Tiago could be a starter with Duncan or be on the bench (assuming the new big starts with TD).
Then again Tiago is getting more minutes and he and the new big have to be able to play together, in that case the big has to take jumpshots. I wouldnt like having to bigs under the basket because neither of them can shoot.

Im pretty sure i could have wrote the same in half the sentences...ha (what the hell, im a german living in argentina with an italian nationality...)

So, what do you think about this?

Please provide a link or article where Pop publicly states that the Spurs need or want or are actually looking for a BIG.

:sleep

Boomersgold
12-20-2012, 02:46 PM
A combination of both would be great. Someone like Marc Gasol, who plays tough defense and can hit that open mid range shot with regularity.

Strategic
12-20-2012, 02:52 PM
A combination of both would be great. Someone like Marc Gasol, who plays tough defense and can hit that open mid range shot with regularity.

The FO passed on Marc Gasol to draft Splitter. No seconds!

Captivus
12-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Please provide a link or article where Pop publicly states that the Spurs need or want or are actually looking for a BIG.
:sleep

Really? Thats your comment...WOW...

silverblk mystix
12-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Really? Thats your comment...WOW...

Waiting for your answer. wtf ever said that the spurs are looking for a big?

Captivus
12-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Waiting for your answer. wtf ever said that the spurs are looking for a big?

No one did...at least I haven't heard it.
But then again, I'm probably taking a shower today, and you know what? I didn't tell anybody.

RD2191
12-20-2012, 06:22 PM
anyone have thoughts on larry sanders?

lefty
12-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Amir Johnson

therealtruth
12-20-2012, 08:43 PM
The Bucks have too many bigs. They've got Henson, Udoh, Dalembert, Sanders. All guys that are better than Bonner/Blair. Getting one of those guys would allow us to move Diaw to SF more and reduce how much small ball we have to play.

Captivus
12-20-2012, 09:40 PM
I really like Sanders, he is a complete player.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUOtTFYTWpU
They do have (at least for now) Jennings and Ellis. Not sure what the Spurs can offer them.

LittleCriminal
12-20-2012, 09:51 PM
The Bucks have too many bigs. They've got Henson, Udoh, Dalembert, Sanders. All guys that are better than Bonner/Blair. Getting one of those guys would allow us to move Diaw to SF more and reduce how much small ball we have to play.

Check out this Article...http://www.poundingtherock.com/2012/11/6/3608326/NBA-San-Antonio-Spurs-Milwaukee-Bucks-trade-sanders

LittleCriminal
12-20-2012, 09:52 PM
anyone have thoughts on larry sanders?

Check out this article... http://www.poundingtherock.com/2012/11/6/3608326/NBA-San-Antonio-Spurs-Milwaukee-Bucks-trade-sanders

Captivus
12-20-2012, 10:09 PM
Check out this article... http://www.poundingtherock.com/2012/11/6/3608326/NBA-San-Antonio-Spurs-Milwaukee-Bucks-trade-sanders

A lot of comments in that article.

Off-Topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFwDTE4kEE4 HAHA!

BackHome
12-20-2012, 11:05 PM
No one did...at least I haven't heard it.
But then again, I'm probably taking a shower today, and you know what? I didn't tell anybody.

You made me laugh so hard almost chocked on my burger..:)

dunkman
12-21-2012, 02:42 PM
I think the Spurs need an upgrade in talent, not just a defensive big. Duncan is still a top player, Splitter and Diaw should come from the bench, but the Spurs need an borderline all-star bigman to start. Not sure what kind of money would West command, if the Spurs stay under the luxury tax, they could offer an MLE contract or arrange a S&T with the Pacers.