PDA

View Full Version : The pathology of Spurstalk

exstatic
12-20-2012, 01:16 AM
The Spurs win: it's regular season fools gold.

The Spurs lose: we can't possibly beat this team that beat us in the regular season in the playoffs.

Discuss.

timvp
12-20-2012, 01:22 AM
Pretty much.

Welcome back, ex :)

slick'81
12-20-2012, 01:23 AM
bbb but we cant beat okc

sananspursfan21
12-20-2012, 01:28 AM
i love all the sky-high assumed value that a neal, bonner, and green package has to other teams in the league personally better than that

RD2191
12-20-2012, 01:29 AM
Like tony said, we will always be a good team. The way okc is evolving makes me even more sure that we cant beat them in a 7 game series.

ace3g
12-20-2012, 01:32 AM
Bonner is always Bonner:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A-ibQlfCEAA_xKi.jpg:large

slick'81
12-20-2012, 01:33 AM
lolbonner giving iggy a boost, at away to shot block boner

Uriel
12-20-2012, 01:37 AM
So true. :lol Pessimism is the easiest way to gain credibility around here.

Mark in Austin
12-20-2012, 01:43 AM
Regular season wins aren't necessarily fools gold. Regular season wins that rely on strategies proven time and again to not work in the playoffs are most definitely fool's gold.

Stabula
12-20-2012, 02:25 AM
Think the OP has got it a bit wrong. Spurstalk varies between two extremes. Only the most sardonic among us call the Spurs wins "regular season fool's gold" in fact I would argue that bnsf and gnsf alike put a little too much value in regular season wins. On the opposite end I would agree that Spurstalk is very harsh on their favorite team when they lose because the losses are generally quite rare and sometimes key players just flat out play like shit which indeed causes much stress among the Spurs faithful.

racm
12-20-2012, 03:27 AM
Think the OP has got it a bit wrong. Spurstalk varies between two extremes. Only the most sardonic among us call the Spurs wins "regular season fool's gold" in fact I would argue that bnsf and gnsf alike put a little too much value in regular season wins. On the opposite end I would agree that Spurstalk is very harsh on their favorite team when they lose because the losses are generally quite rare and sometimes key players just flat out play like shit which indeed causes much stress among the Spurs faithful.

Imagine being a Bucksfan or a Warriorsfan (until recently). As many rings as years not qualifying for the playoffs? I'll take it over having 1 ring back when there was no 3 point line.

Fabbs
12-20-2012, 03:50 AM
Regular season wins aren't necessarily fools gold. Regular season wins that rely on strategies proven time and again to not work in the playoffs are most definitely fool's gold.

polandprzem
12-20-2012, 03:59 AM

The Spurs lose: we can't possibly beat this team that beat us in the regular season in the playoffs.

Discuss.

You are absolutely wrong my friend.
I've always been optimistic!

temujin
12-20-2012, 08:07 AM
I have yet to see the classic thread

"TD will never score 30 points again." Or the variation "..grab 15 rebounds again.".

So there is hope.

benefactor
12-20-2012, 08:19 AM
The greys seem to miss more doses of their medication every year.

Leetonidas
12-20-2012, 08:29 AM
Pretty much been the recipe around here for a decade tbh, don't know why anyone would be surprised by suicidal gnsf after a loss

lefty
12-20-2012, 09:43 AM
The SPurs are good enough to win a title

The problem is that Stern is going to fuck us

Again

Dex
12-20-2012, 10:13 AM
The Spurs win two games in a row: This team is the GOAT!

The Spurs lose two games in a row: Blow it up!

JRHernandez88
12-20-2012, 10:50 AM
Bonner is always Bonner:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A-ibQlfCEAA_xKi.jpg:large:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

DPG21920
12-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Well, while some of what OP says is true, there is even a larger number of just flat out homers that ignore everything and think the Spurs are the best. It's not bad to be a homer, it's part of sports, but for every person that may be a realist or even negative, there are far more homers that are the "I bleed Silver and Black holmes!!!!!!" types that basically support every move. Whenever the Spurs lose it's "fluky shots", whenever they win it's "title number 5 baybbbbbeeeeeeeee".

As with everything the answer lies somewhere in the middle. Spurs definitely have some fluky things happen and they aren't the worst team in the NBA when they lose and not the best when they win. The answer lies somewhere in-between always burning the tape when they lose and claiming "ZOMG you are an idiot if you don't think the Spurs will sweep their way to a 5th ring/OKC isn't even good I'll bet you $1000000000 the Spurs beat them in a series 4-1 max" type homers.

Dex
12-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Whenever the Spurs lose it's "fluky shots"

TIL Pop is a flat out homer. :lol

acoelho1
12-20-2012, 12:42 PM
I think it's funny as well but it stems from the Spurs winning so many championships in the Duncan era. It's not easy to win a title, which many spurstalk forget but imagine if you are Knick fan.. how long has it been!

Also, the overall sentiment around Spurstalk is that this team as presently constructed, will not make it to the promise land. This may or may not be true but the one thing that is clear to me is that the team lacks toughness in the role players. If you look back at the Spurs championship teams, they were littered with tough veterans that came up big during the playoffs.

We don't need allstars or big scores, we need veteran toughness. Not sure if K-mart qualifies but would be a good place to start.

DPG21920
12-20-2012, 12:54 PM
Well I would say Jax is pretty damn tough and he is a role player. Kawhi at this stage is a role player and he's tough. Neal, while not physically imposing, is very mentally tough (he will keep shooting regardless of circumstance with confidence). Toughness I don't think is the issue. The team is mentally tough and decently physically tough although not in a completely rough you up kind of way.

The issue is talent. Spurs lack it compared to other top teams. The Spurs best offensive player you can scheme out of a game with a pretty simply game plan if you wanted to. Other top teams, there is simply no defending their best offensive player with any sort of scheme that doesn't involve triple teams. Spurs have a great team, but it's the biggest case of synergy I have seen in sports in a long time.

tmtcsc
12-20-2012, 01:00 PM
It's a long-ass regular season filled with ups and downs. Every team goes through them but the fans seem to forget. The only thing that matters is playing your best basketball when the playoffs start. That's it. Stay healthy, keep improving and get on a roll when the playoffs get here.

Some Spurstalk members seem ready to jump on or off the bandwagon based on the regular season. Those types of knee-jerk reactions are crazy.

DPG21920
12-20-2012, 01:15 PM
What everyone is forgetting is that Spurs fans are the same as everyone else. Go to every other board and fans do the same things. It's not like all fans are intellectuals and discuss the nuances of the game. There's a very small percentage of people that do that and even within that group they can violently disagree. So it's not just ST, it's all fan boards.

rascal
12-20-2012, 03:05 PM

Discuss.

You forgot about the crowd like yourself, who thinks regular season wins means playoff success.

Win or lose I look at the roster and I still see a weak frontline that is not good enough to win a championship. The spurs are going into the season with the same team as last year.

rascal
12-20-2012, 03:10 PM
I think it's funny as well but it stems from the Spurs winning so many championships in the Duncan era. It's not easy to win a title, which many spurstalk forget but imagine if you are Knick fan.. how long has it been!

Also, the overall sentiment around Spurstalk is that this team as presently constructed, will not make it to the promise land. This may or may not be true but the one thing that is clear to me is that the team lacks toughness in the role players. If you look back at the Spurs championship teams, they were littered with tough veterans that came up big during the playoffs.

We don't need allstars or big scores, we need veteran toughness. Not sure if K-mart qualifies but would be a good place to start.

It should be easy to win a title with Duncan and Robinson spanning 6 years but during the early 2000s the Spurs management did not surround them with enough talent. To win only 2 times in 6 years is not good with two of the top big men in the game on the same team. They should have won 3 or 4 in a row with Robinson and Duncan and couldn't even get back to back titles.

RD2191
12-20-2012, 03:15 PM
so true rascal, sometimes i feel as if the spurs should have at least 5 or 6 titles by now

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-20-2012, 03:26 PM
so true rascal, sometimes i feel as if the spurs should have at least 5 or 6 titles by now

^ This is the very definition of the thread in one sentence. Spoilt and deluded.

RD2191
12-20-2012, 03:39 PM
no way man, the spurs should honestly have 5 or 6 titles, these last 5 years the front office has done nothing to get timmy more help

Obstructed_View
12-20-2012, 07:20 PM
A message forum of hundreds of people, reduced to several opinions to make a case for groupthink. This is stupider than the "three game losing streak" thread, tbh.

RD2191
12-20-2012, 07:31 PM
hey that was my thread and if you think its stupid then dont look at it, simple as that

Brunodf
12-20-2012, 08:00 PM

Discuss.

So true :lol Those delusional fans are funny

Strategic
12-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Is this a reference to all the folks with 20 or 40 or 60 thousand post on here that have a lifetime of relevant postings?

:blah:blah:blah

exstatic
12-20-2012, 08:28 PM
A message forum of hundreds of people, reduced to several opinions to make a case for groupthink. This is stupider than the "three game losing streak" thread, tbh.
Thanks, OV. Missed you, too.

therealtruth
12-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Well, while some of what OP says is true, there is even a larger number of just flat out homers that ignore everything and think the Spurs are the best. It's not bad to be a homer, it's part of sports, but for every person that may be a realist or even negative, there are far more homers that are the "I bleed Silver and Black holmes!!!!!!" types that basically support every move. Whenever the Spurs lose it's "fluky shots", whenever they win it's "title number 5 baybbbbbeeeeeeeee".

As with everything the answer lies somewhere in the middle. Spurs definitely have some fluky things happen and they aren't the worst team in the NBA when they lose and not the best when they win. The answer lies somewhere in-between always burning the tape when they lose and claiming "ZOMG you are an idiot if you don't think the Spurs will sweep their way to a 5th ring/OKC isn't even good I'll bet you $1000000000 the Spurs beat them in a series 4-1 max" type homers.

It's a little bit better this season. Guys aren't consistently getting their career high on the Spurs but Gallo did get his season high.

It should be easy to win a title with Duncan and Robinson spanning 6 years but during the early 2000s the Spurs management did not surround them with enough talent. To win only 2 times in 6 years is not good with two of the top big men in the game on the same team. They should have won 3 or 4 in a row with Robinson and Duncan and couldn't even get back to back titles.

You forgot about the Lakers. Maybe without them it would have been 5 or 6. Holt's got 4 titles on the cheap. If he wanted to spend a little more he probably would have more.

Obstructed_View
12-21-2012, 01:49 AM
Thanks, OV. Missed you, too.

:toast. Welcome back. Not much has changed. :)

Rummpd
12-21-2012, 07:44 AM
Clinically speaking, great and spot on thread: As a physician = my only prescription is dont take it too seriously with the Spurs as the big three move into the twilight of their careers = Spurs have brought a lot of joy in the last two decades as the team that should not exist at their level in the age of free agency, entitled players and teams where the players overule the coach on many occassions. Yet they win and win despite a flawed roster in some regards and a stubborn, albeit brilliant coach and will be in the hunt for number 5 (or at least near the top of the class of near contenders.) This is a great site, with great posters and great fans including some of other teams......

will_spurs
12-21-2012, 09:33 AM
I've always been optimistic!

You have optimism in Poland?!?

polandprzem
12-21-2012, 10:07 AM
You have optimism in Poland?!?
Quite some, not as much as I would prefer though :D

travis2
12-21-2012, 12:31 PM

Discuss.

I see I haven't missed anything...:lol

spurraider21
12-21-2012, 01:04 PM
no way man, the spurs should honestly have 5 or 6 titles, these last 5 years the front office has done nothing to get timmy more help
Is that why the past couple of seasons we've had some of our deepest rosters ever?

biskvito
12-21-2012, 01:35 PM
there's always pessimists, optimists and middle ground, but they only say something when it's appropriate.

Sean Cagney
12-21-2012, 04:13 PM

This........

therealtruth
12-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Is that why the past couple of seasons we've had some of our deepest rosters ever?

Exactly. Every year since '09 Spurs fans have been saying we're stacked. But the best we have is a WCF backdoor sweep to show. That would tend to mess with your mind after a while. The approach is probably wrong. The Spurs need to trade some of their offensive talent for defensive talent.

spurraider21
12-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Exactly. Every year since '09 Spurs fans have been saying we're stacked. But the best we have is a WCF backdoor sweep to show. That would tend to mess with your mind after a while. The approach is probably wrong. The Spurs need to trade some of their offensive talent for defensive talent.

The approach is wrong? Our best player is 36 years old, and our #2 and 3 players are 30 and 35 (I think). There's no "right way" when dealing with that. It's easy to forget Miami has the best player in the game and he's young. Easy to forget okc has the best scorer in the game at what, age 23? Okc also had the most athletic point guard I can remember. I still like our chances against okc in 7 with harden (proving to be a bonafide star) out of the picture

therealtruth
12-21-2012, 11:28 PM
The approach is wrong? Our best player is 36 years old, and our #2 and 3 players are 30 and 35 (I think). There's no "right way" when dealing with that. It's easy to forget Miami has the best player in the game and he's young. Easy to forget okc has the best scorer in the game at what, age 23? Okc also had the most athletic point guard I can remember. I still like our chances against okc in 7 with harden (proving to be a bonafide star) out of the picture

What I mean is the balance between offensive and defensive players is too skewed toward offense.

spurraider21
12-21-2012, 11:36 PM
Drafting Kawhi and CoJo, trading for Jax... Danny Green is really a defensive minded player who has developed into a spot up shooter. Not to mention Tiago doing a good job this season on the defensive end. I think the key is to get Manu playing like last season

SequSpur
12-22-2012, 12:28 AM

Discuss.

frickin bandwagoner...

exstatic
12-22-2012, 01:39 PM
frickin bandwagoner...

Watch out for the medallion my diamonds are wreckless. It feels like a SEQU is hanging from my necklace.

alamo50
12-24-2012, 04:25 AM
Great to see you again ex!