PDA

View Full Version : War Of The Worlds....

Duff McCartney
06-29-2005, 10:20 PM
Good movie. I was disappointed at the ending. But overall a great movie. I never read the book, so I dunno if it's actually true to it.

scott
06-29-2005, 10:37 PM
yes

MannyIsGod
06-29-2005, 10:46 PM
The money you spent on the ticket was money you could have sent to Jim.

Anyhow, the ending was true to the book. They put a new spin on the movie but they kept a very 50s feel to it. I assume that was because of the origional. All in all it was pretty cool.

SequSpur
06-29-2005, 10:56 PM
http://www.xenafan.com/movies/bod/icons/johnny.jpg

Ginofan
06-29-2005, 10:56 PM
I had never read the book so I really didn't know what it was about. I have to say that is some crazy shit! But I enjoyed it immensely, especially since I didn't have to pay and I got to drink free "white" water!

I absolutely love Dakota Fanning, she's a very talented little girl. And Tim Robbins can definitely play the crazed freak. Tom Cruise was great as well. Although I don't think this one was better than Batman Begins, it's definitely a great summer movie.

SequSpur
06-29-2005, 10:59 PM
http://www.xenafan.com/movies/bod/images/johnny02.jpg

LuvBones
06-29-2005, 11:16 PM
If there was no explanation as to what happened at the end then I would have been pissed. I was half expecting a sucky ending but it was pretty good. The movie rocked.. but how were people using their camcorders if the lightning messed up all electronics?

Nbadan
06-30-2005, 03:22 AM
http://cagle.slate.msn.com/working/050628/catalino.gif

TheTruth
06-30-2005, 06:25 AM
2nd best movie I have seen this summer (behind Batman Begins). When the Tripods first appeared to the point where Tim Robbins was introduced is the best hour or so of Film I have seen in a LONG time. AWESOME MOVIE!

bigzak25
06-30-2005, 07:14 AM
i would have watched it last night with wifey, Ratliff did give it 2 and half jalepenos...

but silverado was fuckin packed. jeez...and on a wednesday night?

i was thinking, all this for a tom cruise flick? i'll wait til bargain matinee...hell it's a three day weekend anyway....

tom is picking out his ladies younger and younger these days, the clock is ticking katie...can you say dakota cruise?

does the little girl being terrified throughout play on the nerves like Ratliff noted? did the thought, just kill the little bitch already, cross the mind? just curious...thanks! :smokin

Cant_Be_Faded
06-30-2005, 07:39 AM
This movie was actually good? Bleh. I'd still rather read the book.

Uncle_Rico
06-30-2005, 08:32 AM
all i know is get yourself a plymouth van and some bacteria you can survive anything.

this is the funniest thing, people in the theater saying "omg"; thats terrible"; & moans in the audience when people are being zapped. hilarious. this isnt a reinactment of an actual event. lmao.

Duff McCartney
06-30-2005, 10:34 AM

I didn't spend any money on a ticket. I got in for free.

Duff McCartney
06-30-2005, 10:36 AM
does the little girl being terrified throughout play on the nerves like Ratliff noted? did the thought, just kill the little bitch already, cross the mind? just curious...thanks! :smokin

Yes it does. And I thought that a few times. The son is just as annoying too..he's a shithead.

MannyIsGod
06-30-2005, 10:38 AM
Always mooching off SOMEBODY huh?

ObiwanGinobili
06-30-2005, 11:39 AM
Silverado was packed on a wendsday??
damn!
word is gettign out. before long this great place is gonna look and smell as shityy as every other theater in town.

Duff McCartney
06-30-2005, 11:56 AM
Well there was alot of people to see it at Cielo Vista too...I didn't think the movie was gonna be that popular.

tlongII
06-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Thanks for RUINING it for me people! I haven't seen it yet.

Duff McCartney
06-30-2005, 12:04 PM

I bet some people didn't even see it, they just read the book.

I just said I didn't like that ending. I thought it was kinda silly.

SWC Bonfire
06-30-2005, 12:06 PM

Umm, H.G. Wells wrote the book in 1898. If you haven't heard what happens, maybe you should try reading. :lol

Sportcamper
06-30-2005, 12:19 PM
Umm, H.G. Wells wrote the book in 1898. If you haven't heard what happens, maybe you should try reading.

ohhhh Slammmmmmed..... :lol

bigzak25
06-30-2005, 12:22 PM
Silverado was packed on a wendsday??
damn!
word is gettign out. before long this great place is gonna look and smell as shityy as every other theater in town.

what theatre's look and smell shitty so i know to stay away. Thanks! :smokin

tlongII
06-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Umm, H.G. Wells wrote the book in 1898. If you haven't heard what happens, maybe you should try reading. :lol

The movie doesn't have to follow the book exactly! I didn't want to know that they died of bacteria before I saw the movie. That wasn't a given.

bigzak25
06-30-2005, 12:27 PM
sure it was...bacteria, the common cold, a computer virus like in Independence day...c'mon man...what's the difference?

did you think cruise was gonna fire up the tomcat and take them out with goose and iceman?

Clandestino
06-30-2005, 12:32 PM

Anyhow, the ending was true to the book. They put a new spin on the movie but they kept a very 50s feel to it. I assume that was because of the origional. All in all it was pretty cool.

:lmao but so true.. duff is a deadbeat, plain and simple...

bigzak25
06-30-2005, 12:36 PM
the kid is making his way in the world today, and it's taking everything he's got.

Jim's a pimp. He can deal.

herbivore female
06-30-2005, 12:38 PM

2 foot discount

Sportcamper
06-30-2005, 12:39 PM
Being a College student does not make one a dead beat Clandestino ...You guys are a bit harsh & judgmental don’t you think?

Useruser666
06-30-2005, 01:05 PM
http://www.xenafan.com/movies/bod/icons/johnny.jpg

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/494/sequboy0oz.jpg

bigzak25
06-30-2005, 01:07 PM
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/494/sequboy0oz.jpg

:lol

MannyIsGod
06-30-2005, 01:34 PM
Being a College student does not make one a dead beat Clandestino ...You guys are a bit harsh & judgmental don’t you think?
No, being a college student who won't get a job and pay back loans makes one a deadbeat.

herbivore female
06-30-2005, 01:35 PM
hey layoff duff hes a decent guy besides it doesnt mean that much to me to mean that much to you

jalbre6
06-30-2005, 01:40 PM
sure it was...bacteria, the common cold, a computer virus like in Independence day...c'mon man...what's the difference?

did you think cruise was gonna fire up the tomcat and take them out with goose and iceman?

Goose has been dead for like twenty years, bro. Tom had to use bacteria....L. Ron Hubbard told him to.

Duff McCartney
06-30-2005, 01:41 PM
No, being a college student who won't get a job and pay back loans makes one a deadbeat.

Manny, you really don't know shit about anything. Especially not what's going on between me and Jim. So stay out of it.

herbivore female
06-30-2005, 01:42 PM
then why dont you tell us big spender

MannyIsGod
06-30-2005, 01:42 PM
I'm not in it. I'm just giving you shit about it. Don't worry, I'm not going to show up at your house collecting for Jim. But yeah, picking up a red marker and today's EN might not be a bad idea.

jalbre6
06-30-2005, 01:45 PM
I wonder, if I asked Jim for a nitrous tank, would he give it to me?

herbivore female
06-30-2005, 01:45 PM
let me guess your agreement is for you to reply to every eigth pm he sends you and tell him youve fallen on tough times and youl have to ask for another extension

MannyIsGod
06-30-2005, 01:47 PM
I wonder, if I asked Jim for a nitrous tank, would he give it to me?
Let me know how that works out. That could make for some interesting GTGs. :lol

MannyIsGod
06-30-2005, 01:53 PM
Manny, you really don't know shit about anything. Especially not what's going on between me and Jim. So stay out of it.
Oh, and for it not bothering you, you sure do respond a lot about it. http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smiblabber.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smiblabber.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smiblabber.gif

Duff McCartney
06-30-2005, 02:02 PM
Because the shit gets old...all you ever do is bad mouth everybody. Even people you don't know shit about about. Like Courtney.

You're nothing Manny. You're just a self righteous piece of shit filled with his own ideals that are never amount to anything.

I may not become anything, but I don't spend my days on an internet message board criticising everybody else, or talk about them at GTGs.

I'm done with this thread, and you Manny.

tlongII
06-30-2005, 02:04 PM

You didn't promise Jim blowjobs to pay off your debt, did you?

herbivore female
06-30-2005, 02:04 PM
Because the shit gets old...all you ever do is bad mouth everybody. Even people you don't know shit about about. Like Courtney.

You're nothing Manny. You're just a self righteous piece of shit filled with his own ideals that are never amount to anything.

I may not become anything, but I don't spend my days on an internet message board criticising everybody else, or talk about them at GTGs.

I'm done with this thread, and you Manny.

:elephant :elephant :elephant
duff 1 manny 0

MannyIsGod
06-30-2005, 02:12 PM
Jesus, I don't know your girlfriend and I don't give a rats ass. I think the only thing i said - in jest - was that she wasn't smart being with you.

And fuck, have you told her your plan to mooch of of her? Have you told her your history of paying people back? Why don't you have her come on this board and read about you a bit and then see how much she wants to be with you.

Please, I could have been a real jackass to her, but there's no reason to make fun of the girl. I figure she has it bad enough having to pay for you and put up with you all the time.

Translation? I can speak English, that should get me a bit more than nothing don't you think? Once again, we see Jim's money is going to good use.

I'm done with this thread, and you Manny. I spend my days working, Duff. How much do you get paid to post?

You're done with me? So, you're done with me like you're done with the Army? Or you're done with me like you're done paying back Jim? Or you're done with me like you're done looking for a job? Or are you done with me like the 202982038223908 times you've been done with me in the past?

herbivore female
06-30-2005, 02:16 PM
its tied up folks 1-1

iminlakerland
06-30-2005, 02:17 PM
^ was thinking the same thing...

Round 3 ding ding ding

MannyIsGod
06-30-2005, 02:21 PM
Fuck that, I get at least 2 points for that shit.

herbivore female
06-30-2005, 02:22 PM
2-1 judge miscore :)

Spursy
06-30-2005, 02:54 PM
Filthy Fuckin humans... If we ever get attacked just start coughing and sneezing, the alians will be like "Dont touch it, you dont know where its been."

ObiwanGinobili
06-30-2005, 03:07 PM

I've gotton a couple bad sniffs both time I've gone to the AMC at huebner and I-10.
Also the Empire (or whatever) at 410 and Ingram has some pretty sticky floors and broken seats. Although the lobby is nice lookin.
and the galaxy.. well. it;s the Galaxy.

bigzak25
06-30-2005, 03:19 PM
i think they changed the galaxy to a place like the drafthouse now....

Spursy
06-30-2005, 03:32 PM
Broken seats and sticky floors Im o.k. with. As long as I never find in or around my seat: 1. A turd 2.A used condom

Flea
06-30-2005, 03:35 PM
Broken seats and sticky floors Im o.k. with. As long as I never find in or around my seat: 1. A turd 2.A used condom

:vomit

ObiwanGinobili
06-30-2005, 03:36 PM

well that would be the 16 show dollar theater at NW 410 near Evers.

Spursy
06-30-2005, 03:37 PM
Your fav , yes?

ObiwanGinobili
06-30-2005, 03:38 PM
for the $$$.

But I prefer the Silverado.
Don;t let my cheap ass ways confuse you.

Flea
06-30-2005, 03:40 PM
well that would be the 16 show dollar theater at NW 410 near Evers.

Hey didn't you recommend that theatre to me once upon a time? :lol

ObiwanGinobili
06-30-2005, 03:42 PM
Hey didn't you recommend that theatre to me once upon a time? :lol

for the $$ , for the $$.

It;s a good place to go for the $$. :angel

Spursy
06-30-2005, 05:08 PM

hmmm... Unless of course its my 1. Turd or 2.my used condom
Then its not gross, its funny

scott
06-30-2005, 05:15 PM
Damn, Manny is a man possessed. I hope I never piss him off.

Experiment2100
06-30-2005, 05:32 PM
I liked the movie, I didn't know that Independence Day ripped of the book THAT much.

The only problem I have is the plothole at the end that so big you can drive a semi through.

Experiment2100
06-30-2005, 05:42 PM
anyone who has ever read the book by hg wells would know that independence day does in No way resemble war of the worlds

The Aliens???

Duff McCartney
06-30-2005, 06:46 PM
I figure she has it bad enough having to pay for you and put up with you all the time.

For the record Manny, she never pays for me. At all.

NameDropper
06-30-2005, 06:49 PM
did the aliens die of bacteria?
that's what happened in the book

Thanks for ruining the movie for me.

Rumor has it most people like to find out on their own.

herbivore female
06-30-2005, 06:51 PM

where was all this new found money to go out when you owed jimcs before your girlfriend?

NameDropper
06-30-2005, 06:54 PM

Rumor has it just going out with you is quite a debt.

MannyIsGod
06-30-2005, 08:06 PM
So much for being done with me. I guess we can chalk that up as another one of your lies.

For the record Duff, I witnessed you saying you were hoping to mooch off of her if she got a job with Toyota because it's easier than getting a job.

N.Y. Johnny
06-30-2005, 08:41 PM

We Won't Make That List Of Looking Shitty and Smelling
Theatres!

Sincerely,
The Regal Fiesta 16

Useruser666
07-01-2005, 07:57 AM
The AMC on Huebner and I-10 is the best theater in town. Your seats are like lazy boys. I'm tall and the back of the seat still is higher than my head when sitting down.

SpursWoman
07-01-2005, 08:04 AM
i think they changed the galaxy to a place like the drafthouse now....

Oh, really?? I noticed they changed the name to the Realto or something like that...but I didn't know they were changing it that much. We'll have to go check it out, it's really close to my house.... :)

I remember when the Galaxy was first built....it used to be sooooo nice. :depressed

Ginofan
07-01-2005, 08:16 AM
The AMC on Huebner and I-10 is the best theater in town. Your seats are like lazy boys. I'm tall and the back of the seat still is higher than my head when sitting down.

Most definitely! I looooove the Huebner Oaks theater. It's the best because it's for us white people... :angel

Duff McCartney
07-01-2005, 01:44 PM
So much for being done with me. I guess we can chalk that up as another one of your lies.

For the record Duff, I witnessed you saying you were hoping to mooch off of her if she got a job with Toyota because it's easier than getting a job.

I didn't lie...I just omitted certain truths.

I was joking about the Toyota job. I guess you never heard of jokes.

MannyIsGod
07-01-2005, 01:49 PM
I didn't lie...I just omitted certain truths.

I was joking about the Toyota job. I guess you never heard of jokes.Yeah Duff, I know all about jokes. You, for example. Or when you said you were going to pay Jim back. Or when you told the Army you'd commit for a few years. But you know, those weren't too funny, Duff. So, when exactly are you going to be done with this thread and with me again? :lol:lol

samikeyp
07-01-2005, 01:50 PM
a lie of omission is still a lie.

MiNuS
07-01-2005, 02:05 PM
just seeing the previews and "Independence Day" comes to mind. I'll wait for the DVD.

I saw the movie I wanted to see this summer........ STAR WARS!

herbivore female
07-01-2005, 02:06 PM
a lie of omission is still a lie.

break it down big man oh and by the way manny is up 4 to 1 duffnard

ididnotnothat
07-01-2005, 07:41 PM

I enjoy the Live Oak Theatre but yeah, Huebner Oaks is nice.

The Quarry is okay too.

Faccia di Angelo
07-02-2005, 01:20 AM
Okay, I've never really believed in Aliens, or UFO's or whatever but this movie spooked me! If they do exist, I hope I never live to see anything like that ever happen. Thats just nuts. I did like it alot. I've never read the book either but my mom also compared it to Independence Day when she saw it. I didn't think it did so much. I thought it was a really good movie. Two things:

Are we really just that stupid by nature? Its funny seeing people just standing around waiting to see whats gonna vaporize them next. Hello..RUN!

What bacteria??? I guess I missed the connection :( I tend to do that sometimes.

As far as theaters, I went to Silverado tonight and it was packed! Couldn't even find a parking space and the movie was sold out so I had to go to Cielo Vista. But I'd choose Silverado over any other theater even with the indoor high school. At least they have a decent student discount.

johnny00
07-02-2005, 06:27 AM
If anyone wants to see a good movie check out Kung Fu Hustle at the local discount theaters. It's an import subtitled movie with a funny script and great fight scenes. I took my two daughters (12 & 14) to see it at the Cielo Vista a coupla months ago when it was a first run and they've been asking to see it again since then.

It's probably better than half the regurgitated celluoid Hollywood is trying to sell to the droned 18 year old masses right now.

tw05baller
07-02-2005, 07:02 PM

that was exactly what i was gonna say plus it is all around clean

Das Texan
07-02-2005, 08:39 PM
saw it last night at silverado.

good movie. wasnt as bad as i expected. could have been a bit better, a few things that made no sense happening, but thats alright.

overall, i'd watch it again, 5.50 well spent.

ps the new zorro movie looks kinda cool.

ZStomp
07-02-2005, 09:55 PM
http://www.users.on.net/~mcgor/FlameBait/Hijacked.jpg

:lol :lmao

Jimcs50
07-05-2005, 03:30 PM
I saw it on Friday and was impressed.

War of the Worlds makes Independence Day look like Shrek. The special effects were awesome, there were entire cities under attack, US citizens were close to rioting, the indestructible razed to the ground, explosions, fires and general mayhem all around, but there was a good family story that seemed to keep you interested in that while all hell was breaking loose all around it.

This is a movie that can not be seen and appreciated on video....go see it on the big screen.

SWC Bonfire
07-05-2005, 03:38 PM
This is a movie that can not be seen and appreciated on video....go see it on the big screen.

That tells me all I need to know... if you rely on the "theater experience" to sell your movie... it stinks otherwise. :lol

A good movie is still good on a crappy old TV.

bigzak25
07-05-2005, 03:39 PM
i saw it yesterday. i agree that it was not as bad as i thought it would be, but still could have been better and there were some things that made you think, 'it's a movie' it doesn't have to make sense...

the effects were pretty good. the girl screaming was only irritating at the beginning...and suprise suprise, the one thing i thought i'd hate, tom cruise...i actually felt for the character as he had to put up with those pain in the ass kids...good flick though.

Extra Stout
07-05-2005, 03:42 PM
The story is very 1898.

SPOILER ALERT
I love how the aliens are so intelligent and have done their homework so well that they could plan the attack a million years in advance, yet are too stupid to understand the concept of infection by microorganisms.

That has a very "look how much we brilliant humans have discovered here at the turn of the 20th century" feel to it.

It's a bad loophole, but hey at least it's not as big as alien spaceships running Windows OS in Independence Day. That's the single dumbest thing in a movie ever.

bigzak25
07-05-2005, 03:46 PM
at least it's not as big as alien spaceships running Windows OS in Independence Day.

Jimcs50
07-05-2005, 03:47 PM
The story is very 1898.

I love how the aliens are so intelligent and have done their homework so well that they could plan the attack a million years in advance, yet are too stupid to understand the concept of infection by microorganisms.

Hello????, they did not have those viruses a million years ago....there were not humans then to give them a host.

Jimcs50
07-05-2005, 03:48 PM
That tells me all I need to know... if you rely on the "theater experience" to sell your movie... it stinks otherwise. :lol

A good movie is still good on a crappy old TV.

It would be good on tv too, but to fully appreciate the special effects, you have to see them on the huge screen.

Trainwreck2100
07-05-2005, 03:49 PM
that was exactly what i was gonna say plus it is all around clean

Coming from someone that once worked there, NEVER LOOK UNDER THE SEAT!!!

Kourtnie
07-06-2005, 12:05 PM
Never read the book...The ending is ehh..alright i guess but out of all the movie is pretty ok... ANd Duff is not a deadbeat I love that guy hes my man.... anyways....

MannyIsGod
07-06-2005, 01:02 PM

I pulled out my HG Wells collection the other day when I was at home. I still think the Island of Dr. Marlon Brando was the best one.

sa_butta
07-27-2005, 09:36 AM
I just saw this movie. I watched a very good bootleg
copy on DVD last night. All in all a good movie but did not understand the ending. And one other thing why were the lights to the cars on in the water when the ferry went down if all cars were completley disabled and unoccupied.

Shelly
07-27-2005, 10:15 AM
I just saw this movie. I watched a very good bootleg
copy on DVD last night. All in all a good movie but did not understand the ending. And one other thing why were the lights to the cars on in the water when the ferry went down if all cars were completley disabled and unoccupied.

It was Tom Cruise's subtle attempt to convert you to Scientology......

bigzak25
07-27-2005, 11:17 AM
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/58/cruiseholmescartoon9zz.jpg

SpursWoman
07-31-2005, 10:51 AM
We finally saw this last night....I loved it. :)

Stupid moment....all of the power is out, none of the cars work...none of the cell phones work. Why, in the scene where they first started attacking, was this guy in the crowd's video camera working? And it wasn't a little slip, either...when he got annihilated and it fell to the ground, they even panned down to it's view finder. WTF? :lol

orhe
07-31-2005, 11:06 AM
dude... they died from bacteria...
wtf
are their immune system that bad.....
they should have foreseen what kind of stuff lies on earth right before they attack... not a million years after...

they should have taken some shots before shooting through lightning :)

orhe
07-31-2005, 11:07 AM
or boil their water before drinking it...

Duff McCartney
07-31-2005, 11:07 AM
We finally saw this last night....I loved it. :)

Stupid moment....all of the power is out, none of the cars work...none of the cell phones work. Why, in the scene where they first started attacking, was this guy in the crowd's video camera working? And it wasn't a little slip, either...when he got annihilated and it fell to the ground, they even panned down to it's view finder. WTF? :lol

Go to imdb.com and look up the movie and read the goofs....you'll find this little tidbit...

Incorrectly regarded as goofs: It's a special Hollywood EMP that disables only the electronic equipment that the filmmakers want it to

JoeChalupa
07-31-2005, 11:10 AM
Go to imdb.com and look up the movie and read the goofs....you'll find this little tidbit...

Do they have Tom Cruise listed as the biggest goof?

orhe
07-31-2005, 11:13 AM
So... who thinks dakota fanning will survive the Child Star Disease!

Useruser666
07-31-2005, 03:16 PM
The movie looked really good and had an ok plot. There were lots of things that should have been explained that were totally left out. Like as in what the hell was that viney weed shit that was growing all over the place for? What were the aliens doing "farming" it? I think some things were just added to increase the fear factor. I'm it's a nice gruesome bit to have the alien walkers sucking the blood out of people and then spraying their "crops" with it. But what was the purpose? It was just skipped over. I say 7/10 rating.

Faccia di Angelo
07-31-2005, 03:25 PM
So... who thinks dakota fanning will survive the Child Star Disease!
I sure hope so! Come on Dakota!