PDA

View Full Version : Trade to Washington

maverick1948
12-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Would you trade G. Neal to Washington Wizards for their 2nd round pick at 31? We would get a trade exception. Washington would do this as Price has a broken hand and Wall is still out with his knee, leaving them with only S. Livingston as a true(?) PG. Gary would give them much needed scoring. Playing along side of jordan Crawford they would split ball handling duties. Neal is still young. Washington gives up NONE of their young assets.

Spurs do it because they would get the 31st pick in the draft. We need a young big to play beside Kawhi, Splitter and De Colo. Patty Mills fills the role of instant offense from the bench that Neal has done. We would have a late 1st pick and 1st pick of the 2nd to fill our future needs.

TrainOfThought5
12-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Only if we believe that we cant win this year... because this trade seems to be future oriented. I'd be happier packaging our 1st, Neal, and someone else to try and snag Jordan Hill from the Lakers.

Paranoid Pop
12-22-2012, 02:53 PM
In the latest Spurs Insider Gary says he wants to remain a spurs, as much as I can be frustrated with him at times, he has paid his dues and got better every year since he got here, I would resign him.

Source :

http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/121223_insider (http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/121223_insider)

DDUBB1770
12-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Would be hard to find a better player than Gary in the 2nd. Manus are the exceptions defiantly not the rule.

Mal
12-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Throw them couple W, they need them badly

Nathan89
12-22-2012, 03:12 PM
No. We can't get anything with Neal's trade exception and 31st pick isn't enticing.

Cry Havoc
12-22-2012, 03:12 PM
No. Neal gives us a lot of range and 3 point shooting. Without him this team is much less deadly from range. He's just in a funk, nothing more.

benefactor
12-22-2012, 03:14 PM
You should find a new hobby beyond watching basketball.

Seventyniner
12-22-2012, 03:14 PM
I'm shocked that a Spurs-Wizards trade thread doesn't even mention Nene or Okafor.

Oops, now it does.

KL2
12-22-2012, 03:18 PM
Spurs may as well trade him now, yes he provides instant offense SOMETIMES however he is terrible defensively. The chances of a team overpaying for him is very high as well, might as well get something for him now rather than nothing at all. If the Spurs are serious about returning to a great defensive team he's gotta go. Let De Colo/Mills take over his mins and the Spurs will be fine.

Raven
12-22-2012, 03:23 PM
No.

timvp
12-22-2012, 03:42 PM
The only three scenarios I'd do this trade are:

1) Something happens to dash San Antonio's championship hopes. Granted, they are a long-shot as it is but they remain one of the few teams with a legit chance. That alone is worth salvaging.

2) Neal falls behind De Colo and Mills in the depth chart. It's unlikely but I guess not entirely impossible.

3) He pouts and demands a trade after his minutes go back to being limited.

The first option would be to trade Neal in a package for a big. If that doesn't happen, dumping him for a pretty good asset isn't horrible.

Obviously, let's hope it doesn't come to that. Neal has his limitations (thus why he's a role player) but he can create his own shots and he can carry the offense for stretches of a time ... two attributes that make him valuable to the Spurs, especially when they are dealing with injuries.

Chinook
12-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Man, there's no need to get a trade exception for a contract that small. And there's no guarantee that that would be the top pick in the second. Washington sucks, but with Neal in the fold, Wall returning and their big men, who knows what type of run they can go on? There's no reason to salary dump Neal. He's way too important to just give away. And I say that as a poster who tries to include him in every trade scenario.

Darkwaters
12-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Neal is a tough one. Hes on a bargain deal and his play has mandated a significantly larger contract. Minimum wage is clearly too little money to legitimately pay this guy. Plus with many of the new additions hes an extra asset that could easily lose time as other guys develop (De Colo, Joseph) etc). I'm not sure where he fits next season - even if Mills walks.

But hes an asset this season for certain. So do we move him for something while we can? Do we plan on resigning him - even understanding that hes due at least a modest raise? Or do we play him this season and anticipate that he walks?

spurraider21
12-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Neal hits big shots. If we are vying for a title run, he doesn't go anywhere unless its in a package deal where we acquire the best player in the deal

therealtruth
12-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Seriously how is Gary Neal better than a player like Daquean Cook? A Cook doesn't play that much because he's bad defensively. Neal's probably worse and probably not as good a shooter.

timvp
12-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Seriously how is Gary Neal better than a player like Daquean Cook? A Cook doesn't play that much because he's bad defensively. Neal's probably worse and probably not as good a shooter.

:smchode:

Cook is a career 37.4% shooter from the field and a 36.5% shoot on threes. Neal is 44.2% and 40.9%. Neal also scores ~30% more points per minute and hands out nearly twice as many assists. There's no case that can be made that Cook > Neal or even Cook = Neal.

tenbeersbold
12-22-2012, 05:26 PM
Plus as much as Gary is a local in DC,man you don't trade someone who's been that good for you to the Wizards,seriously thats just a bitch move and NOT CLASSY ;) hell trading anyone to the Wizards is graveyard move.

And thats comin from a former DC native who had free tickets and gave 'em away most of the time and couldnt even give 'em away sometimes..Wizards whole organization is AWFUL.I was hoping when parking Lot Lord Pollin finally bit the dust there'd be a ray of hope but nah,he passed the torch to another cheapskate owner trying to field two major sports team with minimal $$$.

And so it goes......

maverick1948
12-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Ok since you dont want to part with Neal and will continue to bash him, how about trading Patty Mills instead. Same reason apply. Or do we just sit on our hands and do nothing till Timmy leaves for retirement. This team was built thru the draft and cheap free agents. What do we do? I guess we pray Timmy plays until he is 50 for some of you folks.

cd021
12-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Would you trade G. Neal to Washington Wizards for their 2nd round pick at 31? We would get a trade exception. Washington would do this as Price has a broken hand and Wall is still out with his knee, leaving them with only S. Livingston as a true(?) PG. Gary would give them much needed scoring. Playing along side of jordan Crawford they would split ball handling duties. Neal is still young. Washington gives up NONE of their young assets.

Spurs do it because they would get the 31st pick in the draft. We need a young big to play beside Kawhi, Splitter and De Colo. Patty Mills fills the role of instant offense from the bench that Neal has done. We would have a late 1st pick and 1st pick of the 2nd to fill our future needs.

Yes I would, Neal is a great scorer but is becoming Roger Mason Jr. He is 1-D and isn't scoring the ball nearly as efficiently as he was. Having a 1st rounder (26th sounds about right and a 31st pick would help the spurs slowly transition their roster from the big 3. Those two picks could even be packaged with another player for a higher pick in the draft. Good Trade Idea.

cd021
12-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Neal hits big shots. If we are vying for a title run, he doesn't go anywhere unless its in a package deal where we acquire the best player in the deal

He hits big shots but that doesn't really make him clutch. Green is just as big shot capable and has played great defense late. Neal has also missed a ton of clutch Free Throws.

cd021
12-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Man, there's no need to get a trade exception for a contract that small. And there's no guarantee that that would be the top pick in the second. Washington sucks, but with Neal in the fold, Wall returning and their big men, who knows what type of run they can go on? There's no reason to salary dump Neal. He's way too important to just give away. And I say that as a poster who tries to include him in every trade scenario.

Their 3-19 and Wall may not be able to go until January. I thought they were a playoff push if Wall was healthy but its kind of late for that unless they go on a like 20-3 run. Its going to be a high second rounder and that is usually the most attractive type of picks high talent, extremely cheap deals, Neal is a RFA and could recieve a contract similar to Green's deal.

Samps
12-22-2012, 06:29 PM
If the Spurs are going to do a trade with the Wizards I would much rather them trade Dejuan Blair and Gary Neal for Kevin Seraphin.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=c4kvcz2

Highlights:

http://youtu.be/xhKqLZX0GKo

http://youtu.be/KJz97nQQrqw

http://youtu.be/GuR0U3_iS2E

Why the Wizards should do the trade:

In Gary Neal they get a three point threat that they lost when Rashard Lewis went to the Heats. Teaming him up with Beal and Wall would probably give Neal lots of open shots. In Dejuan Blair they get a big who can rebound and score, which helps with the hole left by trading Seraphin. But the main reason why the Wizards would do the trade is because both Blair and Neal have one year left in the contract while Seraphin has two years left. Last year, there seemed to be a need for expiring contracts.

Why the Spurs should do the trade:

Seraphin is 6 foot 9 which gives him two inches over Blair, but with the length and hops, he would give the Spurs a shot blocking threat that Blair never was. He also has the body to bang low with the Gasol brothers, Garnett, etc. But the main reason why the Spurs should get him is because he has a consistent shot from 10-15 foot out. You can see in the highlights that half of his shots are from that range. When he does bang low, he uses a soft hook to shoot over the bigs. This would work well with every big we have. When on the court with Tiago, Seraphin would be high post, with Diaw, he would be low post, with Duncan, they can change between low and high post. I didn't count Bonner because he is in there for one reason only, shoot threes.

FYI

The same trade can be used for Larry Sanders, but I chose Kevin Seraphin because he is a better scorer beyond 10 foot out.

Chinook
12-22-2012, 06:39 PM
The Spurs are not the ones holding up a Neal and Blair for Seraphin or Sanders deal, I can assure you. And who cares if Neal is going to get a Green-like deal in the offseason? That's really not bad value. There's no reason to trade him in order to avoid paying him. The Spurs have tons of cap room, and they probably won't be actually signing anyone major anyway.

RD2191
12-22-2012, 06:41 PM
do the spurs land any major free agents this coming summer? who should they pursue? do they have the cash to pay a great player?

spurraider21
12-22-2012, 06:59 PM
He hits big shots but that doesn't really make him clutch. Green is just as big shot capable and has played great defense late. Neal has also missed a ton of clutch Free Throws.
I never said Neal>Green. I wouldn't trade one of our clutch shooters if we are fighting for a ring

angelbelow
12-22-2012, 07:06 PM
You should find a new hobby beyond watching basketball.

lol agreed.

RD2191
12-22-2012, 07:07 PM
CLUTCH? Neal hit a 3 against memphis a couple seasons back and and everyone is all on his nuts. Neal and Green are both inconsistent garbage and if we rely on them again this year we are likely to get bounced in the first round.

spurs10
12-22-2012, 07:36 PM
I think Neal looks much better when he's not guarding point guards. Last night he was chasing around the Pelicans 2 guard pretty well in the 1st quarter. When he was trying to guard the pg he got burned several times in one of their several comebacks. Sure he doesn't have the size for your bigger 2's, but it beats people flying by him.

cd021
12-22-2012, 07:55 PM
I never said Neal>Green. I wouldn't trade one of our clutch shooters if we are fighting for a ring

I know, but i was saying that Neal is no more clutch than Green and Green is impactful on both sides of the ball late in games. Neal also has a tendency to miss big free-throws and that worries me. He isn't really a player I'd think could help up beat OKC. He is too short, liable on D and struggles to attack the rim with Ibaka and Collison looking for blocks or drawing charges and his 3pt shooting has been way down this season. Against the Clippers he may be more impactful but i guess its all about match-ups anyway/\.

cd021
12-22-2012, 08:02 PM
CLUTCH? Neal hit a 3 against memphis a couple seasons back and and everyone is all on his nuts. Neal and Green are both inconsistent garbage and if we rely on them again this year we are likely to get bounced in the first round.

-Last season at Staples Neal stole an impounds pass and hit a pull up 3 to tie the game, sending it in to O.T we won the game and extended what turned out to be a 12 game win streak.

-Last season at OKC without Manu, or Captain Jack, Green stole an inbound pass with less than 30 seconds and a 3 point lead and drove and dunked it giving up a 5 point lead with 24 seconds left, we won that game.

-This Season Green hit a 3 over Kobe at Staples to give the Spurs a win

-This season Green shut down Lin in the final possession of regulation to force O.T he held Lin to 4 points over the final 10 minutes of reg. & O.T. despite Lin scoring a career high.

-Neal scored 10 points at Portland to help us seal a come from behind victory in the forth quarter.

Clutch?

RD2191
12-22-2012, 08:07 PM
BLAH BLAH BLAH, WHERE ARE THE CLUTCH PLAYOFF SHOTS?...

benstanfield
12-22-2012, 08:22 PM
It's just hard to believe that we get something out of Neal that we don't get out of Mills. You could make the case that Neal is maybe a more consistent scorer, but everybody knows Patty can score in a hurry. Neal is shooting 44% from the field to Mills' 49%, 35% from three to Mills' 44%, and I know there's a sample size discrepancy but I would argue that they would at least have COMPARABLE numbers on offense. I really don't think you can make the case that Neal is a significantly better defender than Mills.

I love Gary Neal, but it seems to me like his value will be higher now playing big minutes than when everyone's back and he doesn't start at SG. I agree that we only include him in a trade for just picks if we've given up on this year.

But JJ Hickson can be had.

spurraider21
12-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Definitely a matchup thing. Seeing as how he's a matchup fit against teams like the clippers or even Miami (or in any situation we need a big 3 pointer) he seems worth hanging on to as the 3rd shooting guard

sasffl
12-23-2012, 12:17 AM
I like Nene and Seraphin

Sean Cagney
12-23-2012, 01:00 AM
I like Nene and Seraphin

I do too..........

chazley
12-23-2012, 01:23 AM
lol at someone's suggestion to trade for Larry Sanders. Dude is playing out of his mind past month or so, and is likely a centerpiece going forward for the Bucks.

Seraphin and Okafor are both nice targets I wouldn't mind getting. Nene regressed way too much in Denver after receiving his big contract, and has been very injury prone past 12 months. He has been playing well lately but he just doesn't have the defensive chops to make him worth the trouble. Seraphin is a big part of the Wizards rebuilding project, and he is now starting for them and getting consistent minutes. That ship has likely sailed for us to get him cheap (Blair/Neal), and would now require players+draft picks to acquire him. Okafor is a guy they certainly wouldn't mind moving, and he is one of the better defensive centers in the NBA, and would likely fill in very nicely with us. The problem is, he's making 14 million in the last year of his deal and we would have to package Stephen Jackson to get him, which just isn't a good idea. We are already rubbing up against the luxury tax so there's no chance the Spurs take on the contract if the Wiz offer him to us for draft picks.

Part of the problem for the Spurs whenever trade scenarios come up is they pay their stars like stars and their role players like role players. In other words, because they always get their players on great deals, they never have the 6-10 mil/yr type guys that you can plug into a trade and work from there. That's why we never make splashy trades.

TheCerebral1
12-23-2012, 09:44 AM
I was just thinking about Jan Vesley on Washington as a project type guy. Young and big. Has some ability and would fit well in San Antonio.

JonNOKC
12-23-2012, 11:25 AM
lol at someone's suggestion to trade for Larry Sanders. Dude is playing out of his mind past month or so, and is likely a centerpiece going forward for the Bucks.

Seraphin and Okafor are both nice targets I wouldn't mind getting. Nene regressed way too much in Denver after receiving his big contract, and has been very injury prone past 12 months. He has been playing well lately but he just doesn't have the defensive chops to make him worth the trouble. Seraphin is a big part of the Wizards rebuilding project, and he is now starting for them and getting consistent minutes. That ship has likely sailed for us to get him cheap (Blair/Neal), and would now require players+draft picks to acquire him. Okafor is a guy they certainly wouldn't mind moving, and he is one of the better defensive centers in the NBA, and would likely fill in very nicely with us. The problem is, he's making 14 million in the last year of his deal and we would have to package Stephen Jackson to get him, which just isn't a good idea. We are already rubbing up against the luxury tax so there's no chance the Spurs take on the contract if the Wiz offer him to us for draft picks.

Part of the problem for the Spurs whenever trade scenarios come up is they pay their stars like stars and their role players like role players. In other words, because they always get their players on great deals, they never have the 6-10 mil/yr type guys that you can plug into a trade and work from there. That's why we never make splashy trades.

This, unfortunately I think Seraphin play this year means he is off the market unless someone is giving up young talent in return - leaving Okafor as probably the only real trade target with the Wizards. A SJ, Blair,Bonner for Okafor and Webster (Chris Singleton may be possible but not sure as his salary is slightly more) would work and if my math is correct still just barely keep Spurs under lux tax although not sure if Wizards would make that move. And as above poster pointed out giving up SJ to make this happen may not be best move for Spurs.

In a perfect world you would get decent big back while keeping SJax, but not sure that can happen

dunkman
12-23-2012, 11:43 AM
The Spurs could trade a marginal player, that would be Blair, perhaps Bonner. Neal's the 3rd scorer, the only playoffs proven backup PG, backups the SG position too, he's a great shooter, can score off the dribble, he's clutch too. He won't be traded unless the Spurs get a much better player.

RC and Pop won't throw the season for a second round pick.

exstatic
12-23-2012, 01:00 PM
It's just hard to believe that we get something out of Neal that we don't get out of Mills. You could make the case that Neal is maybe a more consistent scorer, but everybody knows Patty can score in a hurry. Neal is shooting 44% from the field to Mills' 49%, 35% from three to Mills' 44%, and I know there's a sample size discrepancy but I would argue that they would at least have COMPARABLE numbers on offense. I really don't think you can make the case that Neal is a significantly better defender than Mills.

I love Gary Neal, but it seems to me like his value will be higher now playing big minutes than when everyone's back and he doesn't start at SG. I agree that we only include him in a trade for just picks if we've given up on this year.

But JJ Hickson can be had.
Neal is 6'4" and can swing to both guard spots. If you look at Patty on the floor he looks about 5'10" even though he's listed at 6 foot. There's no way he can ever check any kind of 2 guard. He can barely stay in front of PGs half of the time. Neal shoots better than patty, and sees the floor on pick and rolls better.

BackHome
12-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Neither Neal or Patty is going to have an impact for us come playoff time.

chazley
12-25-2012, 03:45 AM
Neither Neal or Patty is going to have an impact for us come playoff time. Name another guy who Pop trusts more than Gary Neal to take a three pointer if we're down 3 in the last possession of a playoff game. People should remember too, the guy is making less than a million bucks this year, and you just don't find guys of Gary Neal's ability available at that price.

Russo21
12-25-2012, 08:17 AM
1 (http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=dxjpxax)

Russo21
12-25-2012, 08:41 AM
1 (http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cnrqvpj)

Mel_13
12-25-2012, 08:48 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=dxjpxax

Diaw won't waive his bird rights to go to Washington

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cnrqvpj

Magic get 11 million of expiring contracts to help with their rebuilding phase.

1. Magic don't need expiring contracts

2. Trading two good players on rookie contracts doesn't help with rebuilding

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-25-2012, 08:49 AM
Name another guy who Pop trusts more than Gary Neal to take a three pointer if we're down 3 in the last possession of a playoff game. People should remember too, the guy is making less than a million bucks this year, and you just don't find guys of Gary Neal's ability available at that price.

Stephen Jackson
Manu Ginobili

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-25-2012, 08:50 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cnrqvpj

Only the Lakers could pull such a trade off, and only once in a couple of years. :lol
In reality Magic would ask for Leonard and Tiago, instead of Blair.

benefactor
12-25-2012, 08:53 AM
Russo21...there comes a point in every persons life where they sit back and reflect on the decisions they have made. Hard questions have to be asked and answered honestly. Perhaps that time is here for you. It's time to look at yourself in the mirror and say, "Maybe it's time for me to stop going to the trade machine."

Russo21
12-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Oh dont be stupid benefactor you party pooper.

Russo21
12-25-2012, 08:57 AM
There's nothing wrong with 1am Christmas night ranting :)

benefactor
12-25-2012, 08:59 AM
I'm here for you if you need to talk to anyone. Times like this can be difficult and we need our friends. God speed.

Boomersgold
12-25-2012, 09:08 AM
Neal is 6'4" and can swing to both guard spots. If you look at Patty on the floor he looks about 5'10" even though he's listed at 6 foot. There's no way he can ever check any kind of 2 guard. He can barely stay in front of PGs half of the time. Neal shoots better than patty, and sees the floor on pick and rolls better.

Patty really only plays the 2 on offense. On defense, he usually defends the point guard, while De Colo or Ginobili defends the opposing SG. Mills' quickness allows him to stay in front of quicker point guards, something that Neal struggles to do.

Gagnrath
12-25-2012, 10:28 AM
I'm not against packaging either Mills or Neal as part of at trade, I prefer having Neal on the team over Mills. This is even though I think Mills is potentially a slightly better player. Neal is more polished at this point and on more often. The real problem is that neither of them has a contract that potentially allows a big trade. Blair looks done at the moment so not much trade hope there.

This leaves De Cola, Bonner, Jackson, Manu, Splitter, Leonard, Diaw, Parker, Duncan. No one really wants Bonner but no one would refuse him in a trade either. Everyone else save for De Cola is needed this year for a role, or is not able to be traded for emotional/marketing reasons.

Biggems
12-25-2012, 04:56 PM
I want to keep Neal...I have no issues with trading Blair...of course, we wouldnt get much for him if anything. I wouldnt mind a 2nd for him just before the deadline.

I like our backcourt of Manu, Parker, Green, Leonard, Neal, Jackson, de Colo, Mills, and Joseph. I would like to be able to keep Neal and Jax beyond this year.

wildbill2u
12-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Neal has proved he is a qualified NBA shooter. A second round pick at 31 is almost surely not going to make it in this league. The odds against it are astronomical. And assuming we have a second round pick to use, we could always find some big at our own pick.

wildbill2u
12-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Manu Ginobili

Manu, Green, Bonner are all better percentage 3pt shooters than Jackson and have proved they have the nerve to take it. The only thing Jax would bring to the table is the willingness to TAKE the shot, even if covered or out of range.

Obstructed_View
12-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Why would the Wizards want someone that might cost them ping pong balls? They aren't a threat to anyone but last year's Bobcats.

therealtruth
12-26-2012, 08:08 PM

It's debatable whether Gary Neal could even guard a chair.

Kidd K
12-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Gary Neal for a second rounder? No thanks. I'd rather keep Neal than draft and use some guy who's going to be worse for years, and perhaps never be as good as Neal. The odds are too high that whoever you get for that pick will be worse.