PDA

View Full Version : Should the Spurs Make A Move For Royce White?

cd021
12-22-2012, 07:49 PM
Before I get started, I know another trade thread:bang on how to fix a team that is 20-7 and at the moment overachieving given all of the injuries.
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bub8zmv
(http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bub8zmv)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TEFrnwTsU4" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TEFrnwTsU4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrzVBDoneZI

Trade Proposal-Royce White for Dejuan Blair, Cory Joseph and a second round pick

Spurs-By moving Dejuan Blair,better late than never, and Cory Joseph,a throw in to keep the spurs under the luxury tax, the spurs would acquire a unique talent. Royce White is both versatile ,think Boris Diaw but younger, athletic & a more aggressive player. He is a work in progress and has yet to play this season. He has an anxiety disorder (which from what i can tell is generally limited to a fear of flying) but he is a legit lottery talent that could be acquired without moving essential piece to the spurs roster (Splitter, Jackson, Neal).

"White was the only player in the nation to lead his team in the five major statistical categories: points (13.4), rebounding (9.3), assists (5.0), steals (1.1) and blocks (0.9)."

He is capable of attacking the rim off of the dribble and appears more than capable of playing a "point-forward" style that has become increasingly more used in the NBA with (Lebron James, Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Durant). While he would, at best, be a 5th big man this season, he could be much more if everything works out. The Spurs are known for a winning culture from the front office down to the coaches and to the players. He may be more inclined make what would be his second stop in less than a season work, considering he really has yet to accomplish much in the NBA. While I haven't watched him play very much, he could potentially play both SF & PF, He is 6'8 with shoes and has a 7'0 arm span.

He appears to be less immature and more outspoken and if he agrees to spend time in the D-league he could be in line for a backup role next season. From what I can tell he was apparently unhappy with being sent to the D-league after making an agreement with the Rockets prior to. If the he was to be acquired he would almost certainly have to spend time there to become accustom to the system but he appeared willing to play and it seems unlikely to be with the Rockets.

Rockets-Royce White has already had problems with the Rockets and has yet to play this season because of a lack of an resolution to his anxiety. They initially came to a agreement to allow him to travel to certain road games by bus, but after a couple of unsuccessful attempts, he was sent to the D-League. He has held out of practicing and has been away from the Rockets since early November. The Rockets also have made due with Askik, Patterson, & Morris and have a couple of other bigs that are currently higher up in the depth chart.

The Rockets may be willing to take an loss on their investment, and take back less talent in return to rid themselves of White. Blair gives them a pick & roll threat who can be effective in limited minutes. He has been an effective rebounder in the past and is on an expiring contract. Joseph would be a prospect that could potentially develop into a backup. He has shown promise but has been buried in the depth chart behind four guards.

At the very least the Rockets could agree to the trade and then let Blair walk and keep Joseph for another season while keeping their cap room clear they’d also get a 2nd rounder out of it. The Rockets had planned to use their 3 1st rounders to attract star players through a trade (Howard & Bynum) and instead shipped one of them out for Harder (Lamb) White trade value has taken a hit since he hasn't played at all and would be hard to make a move for another star or rising star with him in the deal (I.E Tyreke Evans, Demarcus Cousins, Al Jefferson, Josh Smith).

Darius Bieber
12-22-2012, 07:50 PM
We need to get tougher, not softer.

RD2191
12-22-2012, 07:52 PM
YEAH RIGHT WE DONT NEED ANY CRY BABIES ON THIS TEAM

benefactor
12-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Did everyone get together for a bath salts party today? What the fuck is wrong with all of you?

RD2191
12-22-2012, 08:01 PM
hey my d cousins proposal wasnt that crazy lol

cd021
12-22-2012, 08:03 PM

How is he soft...I'd love to hear your inside info.

cd021
12-22-2012, 08:05 PM
YEAH RIGHT WE DONT NEED ANY CRY BABIES ON THIS TEAM

He has an anxiety disorder

talent is talent and he can ball

baseline bum
12-22-2012, 08:08 PM
This would be a horrible situation for him, with Kawhi and Stak in front of him at the SF and Duncan and Diaw ahead of him in the PF depth charts. He'd have much less of a chance to get playing time in San Antonio than he has in Houston, and we have seen how he responded to that already. If this was 2010-11 with Jefferson and no Leonard/Jackson, then I'd think about it, but not now when the Spurs are pretty strong at the SF.

capek
12-22-2012, 08:10 PM
ugh hell no. Not another charity case to whom we pay a couple years salary just so he can get his head on straight and then actually start producing for the next team he signs with (ehm Mahinmi). Mental health is no joke, it's no sign of weakness or any bullshit like that, but at this moment in time White just doesn't want to play in the NBA. He should go away and get his head on straight before subjecting another team to what he has put the Rockets through. There's no reason White couldn't have set up a rock solid mental health support system around himself when he knew he was going to Houston.

Anyways, not to prattle on about it, but I have no interest in subjecting the coaching staff to this kind of high maintenance player. They need all the brain power they have to try to squeeze another championship out of this roster...

RD2191
12-22-2012, 08:11 PM
i was diagnosed with anxiety when i was 14, dude needs to stop crying and get his act together. he could have all the talent it the world but if he isnt willing to do his part he will crumble and end up flipping burgers.

Cane
12-22-2012, 08:15 PM
Purple haze in my brain

ElNono
12-22-2012, 08:22 PM
No

Darius Bieber
12-22-2012, 08:22 PM
How is he soft...I'd love to hear your inside info.

As a student at Iowa State I can attend to it. Free throw % is extremely poor (Wack-a-White will probably happen, if he gets over flying). His skills are definitely not tuned up for the big boys yet. He's no Leonard.

cd021
12-22-2012, 08:24 PM
This would be a horrible situation for him, with Kawhi and Stak in front of him at the SF and Duncan and Diaw ahead of him in the PF depth charts. He'd have much less of a chance to get playing time in San Antonio than he has in Houston, and we have seen how he responded to that already. If this was 2010-11 with Jefferson and no Leonard/Jackson, then I'd think about it, but not now when the Spurs are pretty strong at the SF.

I didn't mean this season I meant for the next couple of years, Only Splitter & Duncan are likely to be back next season and maybe Diaw (he has a player option) Blair & Bonner are likely gone. I meant he has the versatility to play both positions. He wouldn't be expected to make any impact this season. His response wasn't to lack of playing time, it was because he felt that the Rockets hadn't held up to their part of the deal in terms of travel.

baseline bum
12-22-2012, 08:25 PM
Maybe the worst case scenario would be him becomin a really good player that the Spurs would end up depending on, like Rodman. And honestly, Rodman was 10x the talent and probably half the nutcase White is.

baseline bum
12-22-2012, 08:27 PM
I didn't mean this season I meant for the next couple of years, Only Splitter & Duncan are likely to be back next season and maybe Diaw (he has a player option) Blair & Bonner are likely gone. I meant he has the versatility to play both positions. He wouldn't be expected to make any impact this season. His response wasn't to lack of playing time, it was because he felt that the Rockets hadn't held up to their part of the deal in terms of travel.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--royce-white-s-battle-with-rockets-over-aniexty-disorder-could-cost-him-nba-career-16011709.html

If Houston gives up on him, White will struggle to find another team willing to make even close to the commitment – if any at all. White has turned down NBA D-League assignments, missed practices and conditioning workouts and tried to convince Rockets officials that his anxiety order would be much, much better if they would simply play him in games. This isn't a negotiation, and never will be.

Houston redid White's contract so it could pay for White's RVs and car services on trips, because of his fear of flying. The Rockets have let him come and go this season without fining him. They owe him that patience and understanding, but they don't owe him playing time. It's earned in the NBA, the way three Houston rookies are trying to earn it.

cd021
12-22-2012, 08:32 PM
As a student at Iowa State I can attend to it. Free throw % is extremely poor (Wack-a-White will probably happen, if he gets over flying). His skills are definitely not tuned up for the big boys yet. He's no Leonard.

Look at this draft class, their has been minimal impact player (Davis, when he plays, MKG, & Lillard) Rivers has a P.E.R of 6.9 in nearly 30 minutes a game. It takes time for rookies to develop, that goes without saying ,really.

BadOne
12-22-2012, 08:34 PM
No. Dude needs to adapt, not the other way around. He's got mad talent, but homie is loco. What a waste of a draft pick.

cd021
12-22-2012, 08:36 PM
I stand corrected on the playing time issue...

cd021
12-22-2012, 08:38 PM
No. Dude needs to adapt, not the other way around. He's got mad talent, but homie is loco. What a waste of a draft pick.

Question-Would you still take him if he was on the board in the second round? or late 1st round? It would be pretty hard for me to turn that kind of talent down.

timvp
12-22-2012, 08:47 PM
R:lolyce White will probably never play in an NBA game. The Spurs wouldn't (and shouldn't) touch him with a ten-foot pole.

BadOne
12-22-2012, 08:52 PM
R:lolyce White will probably never play in an NBA game. The Spurs wouldn't (and shouldn't) touch him with a ten-foot pole.

/thread

therealtruth
12-22-2012, 09:00 PM

That would be sad. He's too talented to not play. It's hard to think of a guy who has a similar all around skill set at that size.

Strategic
12-22-2012, 09:52 PM
No

8FOR!3
12-22-2012, 11:45 PM
That would be sad. He's too talented to not play. It's hard to think of a guy who has a similar all around skill set at that size.

LeBron? lol, Boris Diaw

racm
12-23-2012, 02:55 AM
No thanks, we already have Boris Diaw.

Raven
12-23-2012, 03:09 AM
well the trade should be Royce White and a 2nd round pick for blair. tbh i'd do it for the future, he's still very far off from a nba player and all around i never liked him in the first place and laughed for days on clutchfans this summer.. but still..

Mal
12-23-2012, 03:10 AM
This is that guy, who wish to travel for NBA games by car ?

Mal
12-23-2012, 03:12 AM
well the trade should be Royce White and a 2nd round pick for blair. tbh i'd do it for the future, he's still very far off from a nba player and all around i never liked him in the first place and laughed for days on clutchfans this summer.. but still..

And why would Rox give a 2nd rounder for him ? They dont pay him. His ass is suspended without pay.

Raven
12-23-2012, 03:26 AM
And why would Rox give a 2nd rounder for him ? They dont pay him. His ass is suspended without pay.

right now... plus they get blair and the next draft is supposed to be bad.

venitian navigator
12-23-2012, 03:37 AM
If I have to trade Blair for one of Houston last draft picks, I'd try to get Jones or Montejunas...(probably both are already better defensive players than Blair).

racm
12-23-2012, 03:46 AM
If I have to trade Blair for one of Houston last draft picks, I'd try to get Jones or Montejunas...(probably both are already better defensive players than Blair).

Both are also power forwards. Jones can play the 3 or 4 in a Marvin Williams role, so he can spread the floor while retaining mobility, something neither Bonner nor Blair can do at the same time.

Captivus
12-23-2012, 07:23 AM
This guy doesnt play. The team offered him a bus after he requested it, they assume that was the solution...it wasn't.
He has more issues than just flying. Its a shame.
What i dont know is if he is still training with the team, because he didnt go a few times...(issues...issues...).
So, i wont do the trade...not now at least/

Drz
12-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Most everyone who's posted already gets this, but for those who don't, this isn't even close to a talent/style fit question. Based on that, he's a no brainer, and would be amazing for our system. This is alllllllll about whether he could mesh with the SAD. And I agree with basically everyone here; it's not worth the risk.

I'm very curious how the Rockets would handle a trade. How do you even value a player like that? It feels incredibly wrong to give up a talent like that for nothing, but that's exactly what you're going to get in return.... pretty much nothing. But do you hold onto someone who's bringing you nothing? I feel bad for the Rockets. It seems like they did the "right" thing by giving a player with a mental illness a chance (although yes, obviously they were doing this for their own self-interest) and they've been bit in the ass for doing so.

exstatic
12-23-2012, 12:45 PM
He'll be available for free in the summer of 2014. Doubt Houston picks up ANY options on him.

elemento
12-23-2012, 03:19 PM
No

He won't even be in the NBA in 2 years. Uses his anxiety as a excuse for everything. Just check what he did in high school/college.

cd021
12-23-2012, 04:48 PM
No

He won't even be in the NBA in 2 years. Uses his anxiety as a excuse for everything. Just check what he did in high school/college.

I don't think he'll wash out,if he wants to play someone will play him. someone will give him a chance...

Whisky Dog
12-23-2012, 05:29 PM
So trade a cheap kid who's showing potential for being a solid defensive backup point for a nutcase who can only play home games because he pisses his pants at the sight of an airplane?

You know, I really liked the presentation here. It was nicely laid out and all, just too bad you know jack shit about basketball. You should have someone with knowledge tell you what to write and you word it out for them.

You could be Bruno's writer.

cd021
12-23-2012, 10:16 PM
So trade a cheap kid who's showing potential for being a solid defensive backup point for a nutcase who can only play home games because he pisses his pants at the sight of an airplane?

You know, I really liked the presentation here. It was nicely laid out and all, just too bad you know jack shit about basketball. You should have someone with knowledge tell you what to write and you word it out for them.

You could be Bruno's writer.

Nicely put presentation, The guy has a legit medical problem,classy of you to play it off as he's afraid of airplanes. How high do you think Josephs ceiling actually is? Right now he's 4th in the depth chart. He likely won't be more than 3rd next season if (Neal & Mills return) and Parker will only be 31 after next season with another 3-4 years of starting caliber play. Mills is only 24 Neal is 28. De Colo is 25 I'm not entirely sold that he would be better than any of these guys in the next couple of years.

He's a lottery pick who some though could have gone higher if not for his uncertainty. He seems pretty intelligent, unlike someone who tried to unload on someone in a thread,they likely glanced over before acting like an ass.

Moving Blair and 2nd rounder for a medium risk, high reward player is something that could play off big if but in the right environment with the right circumstances.

Teams take these types of chances all of the time against player with sketchy histories

-Rasheed Wallace traded to the Pistons at the deadline in '04 to the Pistons after being the best player on the "Jail Blazers" this guy lead set the record for techs with 41 a couple of seasons prior, and being asked to play for a demanding coach in Larry Brown doesn't sound that ideal but it worked out nicely.

-Andray Blatche got amnestied from on of the worst teams in the league who decided to pay him 25+ million to stay away. He signed with the Nets and is average 11 ppg and a ridiculous 23.3 P.E.R (Thats higher than everyone on the Spurs not named Tim Duncan)

-Zach Randolph bounced around after the Jail Blazers and found his way to the Grizzles on draft night. Since he came to Memphis he's averaged 18 & 11 and is the best player on a legitimate contender.

Trading a 2nd round player who is struggling and a 2nd rounder along with a promising sophomore who isn't likely to crack the rotation in the near future for a
player who lead his college team in every major statistical category.

Its pretty clear one of us know what their taking about and the other likes to act like an ass when he doesn't agree with someone.

cd021
12-23-2012, 10:17 PM
He'll be available for free in the summer of 2014. Doubt Houston picks up ANY options on him.

As a free agent, who you take him?

cd021
12-23-2012, 10:19 PM

How do you exactly weigh toughness?

Duncan was viewed as soft coming out of college, obviously that turned out to be true...

cd021
12-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Maybe the worst case scenario would be him becomin a really good player that the Spurs would end up depending on, like Rodman. And honestly, Rodman was 10x the talent and probably half the nutcase White is.

I'd don't know about 10x as talented , but I get your point, Rodman was beastly but I have know idea how you think White is that crazy/ecentric.

He appears intelligent and outspoken. I didn't get the feeling he'd be hanging out in gay bars, wearing wedding dress to promote a Tell-All, kicking grown men in their groins and somehow making Ron "Malice in the Palace" Artest seem a little tame.

TDMVPDPOY
12-23-2012, 10:26 PM
if the spurs want a backup PG, why not go after the wolves former lottery pick johnny flyn whose doing his trade down here against guys from the bush....

exstatic
12-24-2012, 08:48 AM
As a free agent, who you take him?

As a FA if you sign him, and he pulls any Prima Donna bullshit, you cut him. Pop is pretty good at spelling out reality to players hanging on by an NBA thread on a non-guaranteed contract. See: Jackson, Stephen 2002.