PDA

View Full Version : Injury Update: Gary Neal suffers strained calf vs. Mavs (Update: Out vs. Raptors)

timvp
12-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Gary Neal has looked fatigued and/or hurt for a while. He was reportedly dealing with an Achilles strain a couple weeks ago. Against the Mavs, he apparently suffered a calf strain. No word yet if it's related but I imagine that it probably is related.

Neal was playing most of his minutes at backup PG now that everyone is back healthy. If he misses time, that probably bumps up Nando De Colo to that spot in the rotation ... with Patrick Mills being the other possibility.

Uriel
12-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Just when the team had finally reached full strength. :depressed

If Neal misses any extended amount of time, this could be NDC / Mills' chance to supplant him in the rotation. If either play well enough, that change could become permanent, which would make Neal expendable and a decent piece to dangle around for a trade.

Brunodf
12-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Let him rest, give his minutes to NDC or Mills

loveforthegame
12-23-2012, 09:13 PM
I would be concerned if we were still without Leonard and Jackson.

Let him rest.

We have NDC and Mills to help take up his minutes.

Paranoid Pop
12-23-2012, 09:13 PM
The rest might be good for him.

racm
12-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Rest him against the Raps.

Libri
12-23-2012, 09:24 PM
I wonder how serious it is. Those calf strains can take a while to heal.

Manu-20
12-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Didn't leonard have a calf strain last year.

TDMVPDPOY
12-23-2012, 09:26 PM
he looked like he didnt have a problem chuckn up shots b4 he got pulled out

Boomersgold
12-23-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm happy with either Mills/NDC taking that spot as long as Mills is paired with Manu or NDC is paired with Splitter.

racm
12-23-2012, 09:28 PM
I think it's affected his shot.

TD 21
12-23-2012, 09:29 PM
I knew he had an Achilles strain, because I remember him noticeably limping when he came out in the 3rd quarter of the Grizzlies game a few weeks back.

Not that I want him or anyone injured, but if this is a day-to-day type thing, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. One, they're at home for two more, with a spaced out schedule. Two, it will give us a glimpse into life without him (and whether the lack of a true fourth option is a glaring weakness), which is not a bad thing considering he's probably the most likely of the top nine to be traded.

DanAu
12-23-2012, 09:32 PM
Wont be missed, nice chance for NDC to step up. I think it'll be a bonus for his shooting volume to be taken up by Green/Jack/Leonard.

Mills will continue to be used only situationally or in blowouts.

maverick1948
12-23-2012, 09:42 PM
We have 4 games over the next 10 days. If this is a problem for Gary and he has had it for a while, then let him go to the end of the bench and quietly get well. It is not exactly necessary for us to have him on the court. We did quite well without Kawhi and SJax. No need to worry about Neal sitting out a few games. Only problem for Neal would be De Colo gets his minutes and goes crazy.

elemento
12-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Let him rest.

I still like him (despite the massive hate in ST) and I still think SA will need his scoring ability now and in the playoffs.

ducks
12-23-2012, 10:53 PM
neal does what mills does

ducks
12-23-2012, 10:53 PM
neal needs not to play tell jan 10

Uriel
12-24-2012, 01:11 AM
According to an Express-News article, Neal said he'd play against Toronto.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/12/23/leonard-returns-to-spurs-starting-lineup/

capek
12-24-2012, 03:04 AM
Once Neal gets healthy (and no need to rush this now, give him a couple games off imo), I think he'll benefit just like Green did tonight from having our SFs back. Smaller role, less responsibility, less pressure. Think of it as the Bonner Quotient. As responsibility/pressure/playing time go up, sphincters tighten, and quality of play goes down. Neal is great for 15-18 minutes of play, >85% of that at SG. He just begins to play at 85-90% of the BQ when he's playing 22-28 mpg, and a lot of pg. Obviously not a good thing.

Dr. Robert Lee
12-24-2012, 03:24 AM
I hope he stays injured. He shouldn't see time at point guard.

If CIA Pop wants to put him at SG, then fine, but this Hero Ball at PG makes me want to commit suicide.

Sean Cagney
12-24-2012, 03:53 AM
I hope he stays injured. He shouldn't see time at point guard.

If CIA Pop wants to put him at SG, then fine, but this Hero Ball at PG makes me want to commit suicide.
LOL I agree he is horrible at back up PG! He is horrible there. He is a spot up shooter and that is about it! I like him at times, but his shot selection at times and his PG skills are flat out horrible. I hate to say but I am not a fan of his.

capek
12-24-2012, 04:33 AM
OK, but I can't believe people wouldn't want him to run 4-5 plays from the point a game. When he's limited to a few plays scattered across the course of a game, I think he's proven himself to be pretty effective.

Now that Kawhi ( <3 ) is back, I want to see Gary brought in as instant offense in the 2nd. He subs in along with Nando, who plays the point while Neal plays his more natural SG. Neal plays like 6 minutes in the first half, and then 6-12 minutes in the second half depending on the size of our lead (and match ups etc). When Pop get's bored of playing mad scientist with the Spurs guard line ups, I figure that's what he'll land on.

Darkwaters
12-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Even if hes good to go, I say give him the DNP-CD's for a few nights. We're finally at full strength and have the luxury to rest people at our leisure. He can be on the bench, in case of emergency, but should take some time off.

Sean Cagney
12-25-2012, 04:18 PM
OK, but I can't believe people wouldn't want him to run 4-5 plays from the point a game. When he's limited to a few plays scattered across the course of a game, I think he's proven himself to be pretty effective.

Now that Kawhi ( <3 ) is back, I want to see Gary brought in as instant offense in the 2nd. He subs in along with Nando, who plays the point while Neal plays his more natural SG. Neal plays like 6 minutes in the first half, and then 6-12 minutes in the second half depending on the size of our lead (and match ups etc). When Pop get's bored of playing mad scientist with the Spurs guard line ups, I figure that's what he'll land on.Gary puts the ball on the floor two times and is pretty much useless. He is a spot up or catch shooters, not a PG by any means and won't be. I don't think he is pretty effective there. I agree on your second part though, good take.

capek
12-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Gary puts the ball on the floor two times and is pretty much useless. He is a spot up or catch shooters, not a PG by any means and won't be. I don't think he is pretty effective there. I agree on your second part though, good take.

Ya, there's definitely a lot of evidence backing up that point of view. lol Gary sure does fuck up a lot.

I'm just looking forward to seeing how everybody's roles fall into place now that Kawhi ( <3 ) is back. Green looked a lot more comfortable last game, and hopefully Neal will too when he comes back from his injury. :tu

BackHome
12-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Neal is very much like Bonner a good bench player who can start for you a few games and help you win a few games. He is not a starting PG or SG so we need to stop acting like he is going to be a major difference in how far we go in the playoffs. These type of players get you the seeding for the playoffs but it is your starters that will either get you a ring or not.

capek
12-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Neal is very much like Bonner a good bench player who can start for you a few games and help you win a few games. He is not a starting PG or SG so we need to stop acting like he is going to be a major difference in how far we go in the playoffs. These type of players get you the seeding for the playoffs but it is your starters that will either get you a ring or not.

'03 Kerr says hi. :)

Sean Cagney
12-25-2012, 11:30 PM
Ya, there's definitely a lot of evidence backing up that point of view. lol Gary sure does fuck up a lot.

I'm just looking forward to seeing how everybody's roles fall into place now that Kawhi ( <3 ) is back. Green looked a lot more comfortable last game, and hopefully Neal will too when he comes back from his injury. :tu

I like Gary but more at his 2G role, I think Pop was messing him up using him at the PG too much man! I agree though how things fall into place is interesting. I hope it all falls into perfect place! I agree on Green too.
'03 Kerr says hi. :)

Yes Kerr was hardly used though lol, but if he can have a role like that and come in a few games like Kerr did then.. I will live with that kind of clutch play.

Strategic
12-25-2012, 11:45 PM
I would like to see Neal in more of an instant Offense roll. but I'm not sure he would accept any decrease in minutes.

Brunodf
12-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Jeff McDonald ‏@JMcDonald_SAEN (https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN)
Gary Neal (calf strain) will not play tonight vs Raptors. Will be day-to-day after.

timvp
12-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Gary Neal (calf strain) will not play tonight vs Raptors. Will be day-to-day after.

Hopefully he waits until he's 100%. He has really been laboring lately.

Boomersgold
12-26-2012, 12:23 PM

Great chance for Patty to show Pop that he's capable of being the back up 2.

Darkwaters
12-26-2012, 12:57 PM

Agreed. We're 100% healthy now sans Neal (and I guess Blair - but hes not going to get better). Plus we have a ton of depth. Now is a great time to rest mid-tier rotation guys that are a bit banged up. Because if someone else goes down we might need him later this season and I'd like him to be ready.

Mal
12-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Blowout with or withour Neal.

CitizenDwayne
12-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Is Bargnani playing? I hope so...

Bruno
12-26-2012, 02:37 PM
Neal was wearing a sleeve on his right calf in the Mavs game. He wasn't wearing it in the game before against the Hornets. So, Neal was playing injured in that game and he aggravates the injury.

He needs to get fully healthy before coming back, even more that he will need of his mobility to play PG.

loveforthegame
12-26-2012, 02:47 PM
NDC and Mills can fill in for Neal so he should sit out until he's healthy.

ace3g
12-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Time for NDC to get himself closer to the back up PG spot

playblair
12-26-2012, 03:32 PM

TMTŪ
12-26-2012, 03:46 PM
May the Patty Mills project begin. Nando is already one of our two true point guards on the roster, and given the right matchups for a particular night he will get his fair share of minutes. If Patty performs well enough, then Neal becomes expendable and we can try and ship him out along with Blair if the right trade if presented.

Brunodf
12-26-2012, 04:09 PM
May the Patty Mills project begin. Nando is already one of our two true point guards on the roster, and given the right matchups for a particular night he will get his fair share of minutes. If Patty performs well enough, then Neal becomes expendable and we can try and ship him out along with Blair if the right trade if presented.

Are u not counting TP as a true pg?

Mel_13
12-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Are u not counting TP as a true pg?

Of course he was. He wasn't counting Mills as a PG. Even boomersgold has given up on that notion.

Mel_13
12-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Not that I want him or anyone injured, but if this is a day-to-day type thing, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. One, they're at home for two more, with a spaced out schedule. Two, it will give us a glimpse into life without him (and whether the lack of a true fourth option is a glaring weakness), which is not a bad thing considering he's probably the most likely of the top nine to be traded.

I'd agree.

elemento
12-26-2012, 05:19 PM
SA can live without Gary for a few games. Hopefully he can rest a lot and get back 100% healthy.

TMTŪ
12-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Of course he was. He wasn't counting Mills as a PG. Even boomersgold has given up on that notion.

Bingo

maverick1948
12-27-2012, 04:40 PM
What to do with Gary Neal? We have a game Friday at home against Houston. One day off. Then back to back Dallas and Brooklyn here. Then one day off and a road back to back @ Milwaukee and @ New York. If he sits till the road back to back that would be 9 days rest. If we win the 3 games between now and then, we should take him on the trip and put him in a coat and tie for two day trip. A split of that 2 games would give us a 5-1 record for the time he is out. I can live with even a 4-2 record. Neal could be out 12 days resting knowing that he could come back against Philly and the Pelicans before the showdown with LAL. I say let him rest until Jan 5 and get 100 %. Either that or trade him for something.

Brunodf
12-28-2012, 02:56 PM
No Gary Neal tonight for Spurs. Still out with calf strain.

Boomersgold
12-28-2012, 11:46 PM

I never said he was to begin with. What I was initially hesitant on (and still am to a certain extent) was giving De Colo, someone who played like crap during the olympics and is unproven at the NBA level, the backup PG spot. I still think the Mills/Ginobili pairing works better than having De Colo as the backup pg, as shown by their performances tonight against the Rockets.

Brunodf
12-29-2012, 05:46 PM
San Antonio Spurs ‏@spurs (https://twitter.com/spurs)
Gary Neal did not travel to Dallas with the team and will not play tomorrow vs. the Mavericks.

ace3g
12-31-2012, 05:59 PM
Paul Garcia PS ‏@24writer (https://twitter.com/24writer) Per Pop, Gary Neal is out tonight vs. #Nets (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Nets&src=hash)

Brunodf
12-31-2012, 06:12 PM
Andrew A. McNeill ‏@drew_48moh (https://twitter.com/drew_48moh)
Pop on PJ Carlisemo wanting him to rest some #Spurs (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Spurs&src=hash) players tonight vs. the Nets: "It's too expensive." #GoSpursGo (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23GoSpursGo&src=hash)

BackHome
12-31-2012, 07:17 PM
The only time i like to see at Neal or Mills at PG is when Manu is out there.

loveforthegame
12-31-2012, 07:19 PM
We're fortunate enough to let Neal take some time and heal. Hopefully he'll be back soon enough though.

Spurs Brazil
01-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Spurs’ Neal plays in pain
Posted on January 4, 2013 at 10:00 pm by Jeff McDonald

purs guard Gary Neal would like to report missing the final four games of December worked wonders for his strained right calf.

But it did not.

Still bothered by soreness and stiffness two games into his return, Neal has devised another plan.

“Just got to find a way to play through it,” Neal said.

Keep reading: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2013/01/04/spurs%E2%80%99-neal-plays-in-pain/