PDA

View Full Version : Who is a more egregious stat-padder?..

Malik Hairston
12-24-2012, 01:22 AM
Drew Brees or Cam Newton, tbh?..

Creepn
12-24-2012, 01:59 AM
Cam is playing to help the coach keep his job, which is a bad idea imo.

Pelicans78
12-24-2012, 07:28 AM
Matt Stafford.

Pelicans78
12-24-2012, 07:30 AM
But I can make a case for Brady and Peyton. They've put up outrageous stats year after year yet neither have won a Super Bowl since 2006.

J.T.
12-24-2012, 05:22 PM
So being one of the 31/32 QBs that doesn't win the Super Bowl makes you a stat padder? Okay.

Pelicans78
12-24-2012, 06:24 PM
So being one of the 31/32 QBs that doesn't win the Super Bowl makes you a stat padder? Okay.

According to the OP it does.

Ryan Tsarsis
12-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Matt Stafford.

This

BUMP
12-24-2012, 11:16 PM
Stafford definitely is the biggest stat-padder in the NFL. Modern day Drew Bledsoe who imho, was the biggest stat-padder of all time at the position.

DD
12-24-2012, 11:26 PM
In no certain order...

Newton
Stafford
Brady (Belichick's doing)
Ryan
Palmer
Chris Johnson
Brees (although much more obvious last year)
Vick

Bill_Brasky
12-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Pete Carroll....

DD
12-24-2012, 11:27 PM
And Philip Rivers every December

DD
12-24-2012, 11:45 PM
London Fletcher too. He's the king of jumping on the pile

TE
12-25-2012, 12:40 AM
London Fletcher too. He's the king of jumping on the pile
:lol :tu

Clipper Nation
12-25-2012, 12:54 AM
And Philip Rivers every December

Philbilly pads opposing defenses' stats, tbh...

monosylab1k
12-25-2012, 07:52 AM
Last season i thought Mark Anderson was masterful at getting a sack in the 4th quarter of a blowout, but not doing shit when the game was still on the line. Thankfully Buffalo didn't notice :lol

JMarkJohns
12-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Hand in hand with Stafford is Calvin Johnson. Nothing like shitting on a 20+ year old record from arguably the greatest wideout of all time for a dogshit Lions team that failed to approach expectations and was blown out the past few weeks. Guy seldom even sniffs the endzone anymore. All yards, no bite.

Trill Clinton
12-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Hand in hand with Stafford is Calvin Johnson. Nothing like shitting on a 20+ year old record from arguably the greatest wideout of all time for a dogshit Lions team that failed to approach expectations and was blown out the past few weeks. Guy seldom even sniffs the endzone anymore. All yards, no bite.
i don't get it.

how does a WR stat pad?

megatron is the only receiving threat the lions have and he put those numbers up against double teams the entire season.

he isn't throwing himself the ball.

JMarkJohns
12-25-2012, 05:20 PM
The post explains the logic. Maybe the fact he's celebrating his success which contributed to no real team success amidst losses, amidst failed expectations has irked me. Stat-padding, stat-accumulating, the stats acquired are nearly meaningless. Do it when it matters on a team that matters. Worthless accumulations of yards mean the same at QB, RB, and WR. Just harder to do at WR.

Creepn
12-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Sooo, Megatron supposed to say, "We're getting our asses whooped. Even though I'll most likely catch it to get us closer to the touchdown, don't pass it to me. I don't wanna stat pad!"?

Trill Clinton
12-25-2012, 06:35 PM
The post explains the logic. Maybe the fact he's celebrating his success which contributed to no real team success amidst losses, amidst failed expectations has irked me. Stat-padding, stat-accumulating, the stats acquired are nearly meaningless. Do it when it matters on a team that matters. Worthless accumulations of yards mean the same at QB, RB, and WR. Just harder to do at WR.

yea well no offense but that logic makes no sense.

its hard for a receiver to stat pad when they have to run a route, create separation and complete the reception.

doesn't matter if the team sucks or not, breaking a record is a huge accomplishment and he should celebrate.

its not his fault his team sucks.

by your logic, records should only be broken by players who are on winning teams. that makes no sense.

your basically telling a HOF player like megatron to not play to his full capabilities because he is on a weak team.

gaKNOW!blee
12-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Megatron dominates is every quarter...he's also been tackled on the 1 yard line like 4 or 5 different times this year which have set up td's for leshoure and stafford on the ground. Its purely a fluke that he doesnt have double digit td's once again.

I think you just heard gruden talking about it saturday and decided to bring it up.

Bill_Brasky
12-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Megatron is putting up some pretty empty stats this year.

Trill Clinton
12-26-2012, 12:02 AM
not his fault his team sucks.

dude played his heart out this year, broke the GOAT's record when he could have quit like the rest of his team.

then people would have been calling him overrated, megatron can't win on ST.

DeadlyDynasty
12-26-2012, 12:36 AM
Take a look at the Lions' catastrophic year: http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/det/detroit-lions

Only 1 of their 10 losses was a blowout loss. In the other 10 they were competitive in the 4th quarter--it's just a year where their QB was ridiculously unclutch and their D was predictably awful. In many of those games they had 4th qtr leads too. Ironically, the last time they caught a break was at Philly when Vick made a horrible mistake while trying to statpad.

Calvin's legit...gaknowblee is right, people heard what Gruden said and adopted the opinion as their own.

Bill_Brasky
12-26-2012, 12:45 AM
The Lions pass a ton don't they? Again, not taking anything away from Mega because he often faces double coverages but it could go a long way in explaining why they didn't win more games. Wish he coulda broken the record in a winning season.

DeadlyDynasty
12-26-2012, 12:56 AM
When your team plays no defense, passing becomes important. They passed a lot last year as well ( not as much, but still...), but Stafford's td/int ratio was elite-level. This year he's been terrible. Losing his 2-4 WRs hurt, but he's still made shitty decisions all year. That 3 game homestand against GB, Houston, and Indy is indicative of how their season's gone. All 3 were in the bag but they lost them. couple that with freaky losses like the Titans game and first Vikings game and you start to see that everything that couldve went wrong did--but they were nevertheles competitive in those games thanks to Megatron.

JMarkJohns
12-26-2012, 01:17 AM
Sooo, Megatron supposed to say, "We're getting our asses whooped. Even though I'll most likely catch it to get us closer to the touchdown, don't pass it to me. I don't wanna stat pad!"?

So a running back taking the handoff from a QB can stay pad, and a defensive player can strategically rack up meaningless blowout stats, and even the QB that throws Johnson the ball can star pad through the accumulated yardage, but Johnson can't be accused of stat padding because the QB gives him the ball, because his team sucks, and because he's not a QB?

It's not a knock on his talent. Breaking a great record amidst mediocrity cheapens the feat to me, and if the QB throwing him the ball can be accused, then, hand in hand, the meaningless yardage accumulated should apply across the whole field.

But cool. He's a good guy, great player, incredible talent who now owns a great record during his teams shitty season.

JMarkJohns
12-26-2012, 01:21 AM
I didn't hear what Gruden said. I hate that assclown. Knowing he said anything similar makes me hesitate some.

As others have said, you trail, you pass a ton, passing equals longer games and more possessions. It's a game of numbers.

resistanze
12-26-2012, 09:36 PM
I think people have an issue wrapping their head around the term 'Stat-padder' for a WR like Megatron. What is the alternative - intentionally dropping the passes thrown to him? If anything, you can say he's the beneficiary of stat-padding. Sucks he's breaking the record on a shitty team and he's been unlucky throughout the year (drop in TD numbers), but it's still impressive. You probably have a better argument saying Moss breaking the TD record was the result of more 'stat-padding' than Megatron.

JMarkJohns
12-26-2012, 09:56 PM
And what's the QB supposed to do, not throw? Or the RB take a knee?

Stat Padding=excessive accumulation of meaningless numbers.

Creepn
12-27-2012, 12:07 AM
And what's the QB supposed to do, not throw? Or the RB take a knee?

Stat Padding=excessive accumulation of meaningless numbers.

I call stat padding when the team is way ahead and the starters are still in the game. Like Tom Brady when he slaughtered the Colts.

Detroit otoh, never blown out teams this year if I'm not mistaken. They were always playing to win or stay ahead.

JMarkJohns
12-27-2012, 09:27 AM
Some consider stat padding to also include when the team is way behind and an accumulation of meaningless stats occurs.

Arod in baseball is an example of hitting a three-run homer when up or down by four or more runs.

JMarkJohns
12-27-2012, 09:29 AM
And the Lions were blown out the last two weeks. The Atlanta score looked closer than a 21-3 mid-2nd lead resembled.

Trill Clinton
12-27-2012, 11:30 AM
yea yea.

none of what you said still doesn't make any sense. but if that's how you feel, so be it.

resistanze
12-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Some consider stat padding to also include when the team is way behind and an accumulation of meaningless stats occurs.

Arod in baseball is an example of hitting a three-run homer when up or down by four or more runs.

But I wouldn't say the majority of Megatron's stats are the result of this. If the Lions were losing by 3 scores and the WR is accumulating all his receiving yards in the 4th quarter, then sure. Just because your team eventually loses the game doesn't mean you were stat-padding throughout game when the game was competitive.

JMarkJohns
12-27-2012, 07:17 PM
People are completely ignoring that I quoted talk of Stafford and qualified my statement with "hand in hand" indicating that if Stafford is considered, so should Johnson.