PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on our beloved NFL tonight

Ghazi
12-24-2012, 05:45 AM
As a professional NFL handicapper, I observe the league closely. Here are the conclusions I draw.

1. The Denver Broncos are the best team in football- I said this 3 weeks ago when everyone was sucking the Patriots dick. Peyton's command and control of the offense is amazing... their run game is physical.. their pass rush is insane and they don't seem to allow much YAC. Simply the most complete team in football and the favorites in the AFC. As is always the case in the NFL, they're not a lock... probably not even over 50%... but I cannot find a significant weakness with this team. Only thing I will say is they've had an easy schedule this year, and did lose to the 3 contenders they played early in the year. But a team cannot really control it's schedule and the Broncos are playing superb regardless of the quality of competition.

2. There is a chance the Patriots are a fraudulent team- At this point, the Patriots winning the Super Bowl would be similar to what the 2007 Giants did. Their pass defense is simply not good enough. In the past few weeks major leaks on this team have been exploited. Kap and Henne had great games against this pass defense, which ranks as one of the worst in the NFL. I also feel the winning culture of the Patriots is overrated, and they've been massive underachievers the last 5 years. Brady/Bellichick should have 2-3 more Super Bowls. They would greatly benefit from a Houston loss next week, because I'd give them slim chances of winning @ Denver and @ Houston.

3. The wild card teams in the AFC have no shot - The Bengals, Colts, and Ravens are all weak teams, with the Colts being the worst of the bunch. The Ravens are an average team across the board, almost literally... the Bengals have a pretty solid pass rush, but I doubt their offense has what it takes. Haven't been impressed with Dalton in recent weeks, even though Green/Gresham are great weapons. Colts are one of the worst teams in the NFL that has benefited from a very easy schedule and excellent luck in close games. No chance of an AFC Wild Card team getting hot this year

4. The NFC is wide open - the Packers have emerged, the Falcons are definitely not the overrated team all of us thought they were... and the Seahawks/Niners are still there. The assertion that the Niners and Seahawks can't win because they have QBs who aren't elite isn't based in reality. With strong defenses and run games they have a shot. Also, Lord Kaepernick and Wilson are top 10 in pass efficiency, and the Niners/Seahawks are top 5 in yards per pass attempt... seems to me their passing offenses are strong enough. I will say a problem for the 49ers is while their offense is strong and efficient, they are 25th in 3rd down conversation rate. Seems to me like this is a team that cannot battle back from 10+ point deficits... tonight was an example. Matthews adds a different dynamic to a defense that was lousy for a stretch there, and Woodson should be back. I'll say the Redskins are the #1 darkhorse contender due to their amazing offense. Let's see where the chips fall with the final seeds, should be interesting.

5. The Panthers are a good team- If a great poker player has a 2 month stretch where they're losing, it doesn't mean they're a bad player... it just means they're unlucky. Similarly in the NFL, 15 games is not a huge sample, and luck/injuries/difficult schedules can skew perceptions. the Panthers are on a 3 game winning streak and have a net pass yardage per attempt differential of over 1. That is a metric most Super Bowl teams have and puts them in a class with the Niners/Seahawks/Broncos/Texans this year. Why are they 6-9? Simple... difficult schedule and poor luck in close games, with a very flukish OT loss to the Bucs and last second FG losses to the Panthers/Buccaneers. Newton has played excellent to close the season. Their pass rush is pretty damn strong also. This is a team to watch out for in 2013.

BRHornet45
12-24-2012, 05:51 AM
5. The Panthers are a good team- If a great poker player has a 2 month stretch where they're losing, it doesn't mean they're a bad player... it just means they're unlucky. Similarly in the NFL, 15 games is not a huge sample, and luck/injuries/difficult schedules can skew perceptions. the Panthers are on a 3 game winning streak and have a net pass yardage per attempt differential of over 1. That is a metric most Super Bowl teams have and puts them in a class with the Niners/Seahawks/Broncos/Texans this year. Why are they 6-9? Simple... difficult schedule and poor luck in close games, with a very flukish OT loss to the Bucs and last second FG losses to the Panthers/Buccaneers. Newton has played excellent to close the season. Their pass rush is pretty damn strong also. This is a team to watch out for in 2013.

LMAO! Ghazi come on now son! what agenda are you pushing now?

TIMMYtoZO
12-24-2012, 12:11 PM
:lol @ saying the Falcons are elite. They will be a quick out in the postseason. With the Giants taking themselves out of the playoff picture, I fully expect Green Bay to win the NFC. They have an elite QB and are playing their best football at the right time. The Giants were the biggest thorn to the Packers, but that is no more.

Ghazi
12-24-2012, 12:21 PM
Gotta take the Falcons seriously after they curbstomped the shit out of the Giants.

I'd say they're the weakest of those 4 NFC teams, but they have a shot because they A. only have to win 2 to get in B. get both of those games at home.

Ghazi
12-24-2012, 12:22 PM
It's easy to play your best football at the right time when you get to play the Titans/Bears/Vikings/Lions 4 weeks in a row. THey didn't even look great in 3 of those wins.

monosylab1k
12-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Similarly in the NFL, 15 games is not a huge sample

No, you're right, it's only 93.7% of an entire NFL season. Not big at all :lmao

TIMMYtoZO
12-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Gotta take the Falcons seriously after they curbstomped the shit out of the Giants.

I'd say they're the weakest of those 4 NFC teams, but they have a shot because they A. only have to win 2 to get in B. get both of those games at home.

Falcons went 14-2 in 2010 and were raped at home in the playoffs. I don't take teams who are only built on regular season success seriously. Wake me up when the Falcons finally win a playoff game under game managing QB Matt Ryan. Packers are already proven. If it weren't for the Giants, they would have repeated last season.

monosylab1k
12-24-2012, 01:14 PM
In the regular season playing it safe and checking down nonstop can work. In the playoffs when defenses get tighter and start taking away the easy stuff, your QB has to have the balls to make a risky throw and have the skill to complete it. Matt "Checkdown King" Ryan has shown no ability to take or complete a risky pressure throw in the playoffs.

tlongII
12-24-2012, 01:26 PM
The Seahawks are the favorites now. They are dominating the league.

Ghazi
12-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Team can have an unlucky 15 game stretch. Hell teams have lucky 82 game stretches in nba sometimes.. 07 and 10 mavs come to mind

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-24-2012, 02:56 PM
In the regular season playing it safe and checking down nonstop can work. In the playoffs when defenses get tighter and start taking away the easy stuff, your QB has to have the balls to make a risky throw and have the skill to complete it. Matt "Checkdown King" Ryan has shown no ability to take or complete a risky pressure throw in the playoffs.
Ghazi is a bandwagon 49ers fan now, so he's used the chemical imbalance in his brain to convince himself an elite QB who can make risky throws down field isn't necessary to win in the playoffs. Don't bother trying to tell him otherwise.

LakerHater
12-24-2012, 04:21 PM
The Seahawks are the favorites now. They are dominating the league.
They aint that great away from home. I think the 9ers will come outta the NFC.

Blizzardwizard
12-24-2012, 05:32 PM
I hope the Seahawks can go far, although I doubt it. I think they can go all the way actually. Or maybe I'm only saying that because of all the drinks I had after we actually won a game against the Jets :lol

LnGrrrR
12-24-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm just hoping Gronk is fully healed by the time playoffs roll around. Him being lame in the SB last year hurt us.