PDA

View Full Version : 1st Quarter Reaction: Spurs defense worlds better without Choo-choo Chucker and Fatty

spursmartyr
12-26-2012, 09:09 PM
With our strong defense guys back in the starting lineup (the twin towers and Kawhi), Danny, Kawhi, SJ & Manu at the swingmen and TP & Nando the only two PGs, this is the defensive lineup we must maintain going forward.

Neal and Blair absolutely stink on defense (Blair stinks on offense, too, and Neal's shot selection is questionable at best). Both absolutely must be traded, hopefully for a backup big man.

What say you, ST?

timvp
12-26-2012, 09:36 PM
Neither would have played in the first quarter even if Neal was healthy.

Brunodf
12-26-2012, 09:45 PM
To soon

Juggity
12-26-2012, 09:45 PM
"choo choo chucker"?

gfy

therealtruth
12-26-2012, 11:00 PM
I would much rather win games 100-80 vs 120-100 because that will be more helpful in the playoffs.

elemento
12-26-2012, 11:02 PM
Call me again when we face an elite team and not the craptors without their best players

Dr. Robert Lee
12-26-2012, 11:20 PM
It was refreshing to see Hero Ball not chucking up heroes all game tonight. It made the game much more enjoyable to me, tbh.

td4mvp21
12-26-2012, 11:53 PM
I don't get the Neal hate. He had been playing outside of his role because of the injuries. I don't think his defense has been that bad this season, either.

spursmartyr
12-27-2012, 12:09 AM
I don't get the Neal hate. He had been playing outside of his role because of the injuries. I don't think his defense has been that bad this season, either.
with Neal's defense, it's like going from eating nothing but ramen noodles to eating chicken giblets and greens every day

not much of an improvement, tbh

And it seems his shot selection has gotten worse this year

tmtcsc
12-27-2012, 12:38 AM
The Gary Neal hate is ridiculous. Every time he shoots a three, I think its going in. Say what you will about Danny Green but he disappeared in the playoffs at crucial times. Neal belongs on this team and has been a great addition. Blair is pretty much finished.

Brunodf
12-27-2012, 12:41 AM
The Gary Neal hate is ridiculous. Every time he shoots a three, I think its going in. Say what you will about Danny Green but he disappeared in the playoffs at crucial times. Neal belongs on this team and has been a great addition. Blair is pretty much finished.

He is shooting career low 3pt%, his PnR defense is horrible, his one vs one defense is below average.

tmtcsc
12-27-2012, 12:46 AM
Guys like Gary Neal and Bonner have a role on this team. They aren't supposed to be defensive stoppers. They are supposed to spread the floor and keep defenses honest. That being said, Neal can and should improve his defense. His 3 pt % will increase too.

Embedded
12-27-2012, 12:53 AM
Neal can hit BIG shots at BIG moments. His ball handling has improved tremendously, and his defense has improved. I think he is a keeper.

Interrohater
12-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Seriously. Gary Neal is one of my favorite players on this team. The Spurs had been searching for a cold-blooded sniper for awhile and they finally found one. His defense is average at best, but his shooting skills are undeniable. He has one of the sweetest strokes in the game (choo choo! that's what she said) and has proven multiple times that he has what it takes to hit a big shot when it's needed. I know you want Bruce Bowen at all three small positions and Timmy at the two big positions, but it's not going to happen. They're not all going to be defensive stalwarts.

Now Blair, on the other hand, can go. That guy was so impressive with his hustle and drive, but he has lost it. He worked so hard on getting in shape and his shot that he no longer rebounds. Waste of a roster spot in my opinion, and I hate to say that because he showed a lot of potential his first year. It almost seemed like he would be able to overcome his height deficiency.

rmt
12-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Seriously. Gary Neal is one of my favorite players on this team. The Spurs had been searching for a cold-blooded sniper for awhile and they finally found one. His defense is average at best, but his shooting skills are undeniable. He has one of the sweetest strokes in the game (choo choo! that's what she said) and has proven multiple times that he has what it takes to hit a big shot when it's needed. I know you want Bruce Bowen at all three small positions and Timmy at the two big positions, but it's not going to happen. They're not all going to be defensive stalwarts.

Now Blair, on the other hand, can go. That guy was so impressive with his hustle and drive, but he has lost it. He worked so hard on getting in shape and his shot that he no longer rebounds. Waste of a roster spot in my opinion, and I hate to say that because he showed a lot of potential his first year. It almost seemed like he would be able to overcome his height deficiency.

This. Don't know how any Spur fan can complain about Neal when he's been subjected to Bonner's choking all these years. At least Neal can step up and hit a clutch shot. He can put up points in a hurry (when SA inevitably hits a dry spell) and isn't afraid of the ball in the big moments (unlike a certain red-head). His defense is not THAT bad - he seems to take a few offensive charges.

superbigtime
12-27-2012, 01:36 PM
I'm a big Neal fan, the guy is a shooter and will make it when it counts more often than not. He's not a PG, but Pop has forced him into that role, and he is a better ball handler for it. Better than Mills. Admittedly, he makes mistakes, but Neal doesn't deserve the bitch treatment he gets from some of the pricks on spurstalk, it's a shame and unreal. Is he a star? NO. But he's a role player who poses a real threat for the opponent's defense. He's an asset for this team.

therealtruth
12-27-2012, 10:06 PM
I'm not a big fan of his defense.

superbigtime
12-28-2012, 03:12 PM
I'm not a big fan of his defense.

It's improved but it certainly isn't a strength. He's on equal footing with Mills and better than de Colo.

Dr. Robert Lee
12-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Hero Ball is pathetic. He ruins our defense, shoots idiotic shots, fucks up our offense, and disrupts everything. If he's not hitting shots, and he hasn't been hitting shots in like a month now, he is a piece of scum on the floor that is simply a cold body. He is a useless point guard; that's for sure. Put him at SG if you must, Captain Pop, but Hero Ball playing point guard makes me want to jam a large nail straight up my ass.

Dr. Robert Lee
12-28-2012, 05:04 PM
It's improved but it certainly isn't a strength. He's on equal footing with Mills and better than de Colo.
:lmao

superbigtime
12-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Oh I guess I forgot about those game winners, ice cold shots, 20 point games, and all that awesome D by Nando. :rolleyes

Kidd K
12-28-2012, 06:44 PM
Blair's like our 11th man. He isn't making or breaking the team. He's about as important as Matt Bonner to our playoff chances. That is to say, he's probably not even going to be in the regular rotation unless someone gets hurt. Blair is a reserve who can at least put the ball in the hole and rebound for us in a pinch. He does that well for an end of the bench guy.

If Splitter or Duncan goes down, we won't have a damn thing left to trot out there besides Matt Bonner for 25-30 minutes a game. He's basically an insurance policy most teams don't have the luxury of having. I'm glad we do.

Neal is a good go-to scorer when we need to make a comeback. But yes, his defense is awful. His playing time should probably be reduced, but I definitely don't think it'd help us to trade away his offensive punch. He's the best and fastest shooter on the team. I'm happy to have him despite the awful defense.

His defense is actually even worse than most people who hate on him even mention. When Neal is in the game, watch who's usually getting scored on when the other team scores. Literally more than half of the time (closer to 2/3rds some games) it's either Neal's man scoring, or the guy Neal was supposed to rotate to. I'm dead serious. Watch dude. . .I'm not exaggerating.

And I'm saying this as a fan of the guy. I love the guy's shooting ability. . .but his defense is just bad. Just saying below average isn't doing it justice.

BackHome
12-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Neal is like Bonner they are not starters and they should be used for what they are good at instant offense. If they are not hitting the three then they need to hit the bench but you need players like these on the bench not as starters. Blair on the other hand is not even worth having on the bench it is a shame but for some reason he just doesn't care or can't play like he used to.

Sean Cagney
12-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Neal is like Bonner they are not starters and they should be used for what they are good at instant offense. If they are not hitting the three then they need to hit the bench but you need players like these on the bench not as starters. Blair on the other hand is not even worth having on the bench it is a shame but for some reason he just doesn't care or can't play like he used to.

ezau
12-29-2012, 11:58 PM
How easily a Spurs fan forget Neal hitting a big-time three-pointer in a playoff game against the Grizzlies two years ago. Neal has balls, and I'm pretty sure you'd want him in the Spurs if he were playing for another team.