PDA

View Full Version : How well do other countries do the American accent?

AussieFanKurt
12-27-2012, 12:16 AM
Rick in Walking Dead? He's English and I think his yank accent is good
Guy Pearce in Memento and Toni Collete in The Sixth Sense - both Aussies.
Few Non-Americans in Lawless

I mean they all sound good to me but how do they sound to you, are they believable?

The Reckoning
12-27-2012, 12:40 AM
canadians do it pretty well

Reck
12-27-2012, 01:29 AM
canadians do it pretty well

Almost identical tbh.

One that does it pretty damn convincing is Kate Winslet. I was convinced she talked like she does in her movies. Until I saw an interview and she had a british accent. I was like the fuckkkk

Dirk Oneanddoneski
12-27-2012, 02:20 AM
Almost identical tbh.

One that does it pretty damn convincing is Kate Winslet. I was convinced she talked like she does in her movies. Until I saw an interview and she had a british accent. I was like the fuckkkk

Same with the guy that played Stringer Bell on the Wire

Reck
12-27-2012, 02:26 AM
Same with the guy that played Stringer Bell on the Wire

Yeah him and Adewale.

These dudes play some badass roles but when you hear them speak out if character they sound like fucking fags. :lol

Its dat silly british accent.

Latarian Milton
12-27-2012, 02:34 AM
its really no surprise when most foreigners who speak english as a foreign language try to imitate an american accent, knowing the US is the baddest ass nation in the world. the strong presence of US is the main and probably the only reason why english is so popular around the world. even the scots n irish people tend to sound more similar to yanks rather than to those freckle faces down south in england

CuckingFunt
12-27-2012, 03:26 AM
There are a ton of British and Australian actors who I think do very good American accents. Guy Pearce and Ewan McGregor are particularly good, especially considering how strong their Australian and Scottish accents are, respectively.

Idris Elba is about the only person I can think of off the top of my head who has full on fooled me, though. To the point that when I finally watched The Wire I assumed he was an American actor who'd done a very good London accent in RocknRolla, which was the only other thing I'd ever seen him in at the time. I generally have a pretty finely tuned ear for accents, but even having watched The Wire several times through now, I've only ever (recently and when really specifically looking) found one or two places where you can hear a bit of a Brit in Stringer Bell.

Capt Bringdown
12-27-2012, 04:27 AM
The monarchists and their commonwealth footstools do a pretty good job.

Drachen
12-27-2012, 08:16 AM
You know who did the worst American accent I have ever heard? Peter Stormare (the gunnery sergeant) in windtalkers. He is from Sweden.

cantthinkofanything
12-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Hugh Laurie does a good job.

BlackSwordsMan
12-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Almost every character in walking dead is foreign so yeah all of those guys.

That guy from the wire the cop dude.............

rascal
12-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Different areas of America have different accents.

cantthinkofanything
12-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Different areas of America have different accents.

yep. It's just like in South America. You can travel a few hundred miles from Paraguay, through Argentina, and into Brazil. The Brazilians accent is so different from Paraguay that it's hard to adjust.
Similar to going through Cajun country. I don't even know what the hell those guys say half the time.

Leetonidas
12-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Liam Neeson

Jacob1983
12-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Some of the bads would be Liam Neeson and Charlie Hunnam. Those two can't do a good American accent to save their lives.

AFBlue
12-27-2012, 05:18 PM
The more interesting question is what American actors have convincing foreign accents. The only actor I can think of offhand is Natalie Portman. Any others, good or bad?

Reck
12-27-2012, 06:12 PM
The more interesting question is what American actors have convincing foreign accents. The only actor I can think of offhand is Natalie Portman. Any others, good or bad?

Depends on what accent you're trying to immitate. Hispanic accent is pretty damn easy I'd say.

Al Pacino for the win.

tlongII
12-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Americans don't have accents.

Lincoln
12-27-2012, 07:07 PM
I hate northern accents.

Rick in WD is a southern accent

InRareForm
12-27-2012, 08:51 PM
brody from homeland

Reck
12-27-2012, 08:56 PM
brody from homeland

You really, really really like that show dont you? lol

InRareForm
12-27-2012, 09:00 PM
lol. I am into Game of Thrones more though

CuckingFunt
12-27-2012, 09:32 PM
brody from homeland

Damian Lewis is very good, but you can definitely hear the British accent peeking through here and there. At least you could in "Life." I haven't watched "Homeland" yet, so I don't know whether or not it's gotten harder to make out.

Reck
12-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Damian Lewis is very good, but you can definitely hear the British accent peeking through here and there. At least you could in "Life." I haven't watched "Homeland" yet, so I don't know whether or not it's gotten harder to make out.

Yeah you still can hear his british accent throughout the series.

His best work trying for the american accent was in Band of Brothers imo.

Jacob1983
12-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Jessica Chastain and slutty Angelina Jolie can do decent British accents.

Wild Cobra
12-28-2012, 04:10 AM
Jamie Bamber (Captain Apollo) is from London. I never knew he wasn't American until I heard him talk outside of his role in Battlestar Galactica.

mrsmaalox
12-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Mel Gibson, Russell Crowe, Colin Farrell, Daniel Day-Lewis all do a pretty decent American accent.

ALVAREZ6
12-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Gerard Butler

I. Hustle
12-28-2012, 12:54 PM
Does Mel Gibson even count? The dude has been over here so long that he lost his Aussie accent. Probably for the best since Aussies sound like queers.

gameFACE
12-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Damian Lewis isn't bad. But David Harewood who plays David Estes in Homeland does a damn good American accent.

I love my man Anthony Hopkins. But I thought his accent in Nixon was not too good. He gets an exception since he's a bad ass.

cantthinkofanything
12-28-2012, 01:09 PM
shitty actor imo but watching Total Recall last night reminded me that Colin Farrell does a good job.
and Heath Ledger, rip.

AussieFanKurt
12-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Does Mel Gibson even count? The dude has been over here so long that he lost his Aussie accent. Probably for the best since Aussies sound like queers.

Yeah he lost his aussie accent the second he left basically, definitely doesn't count

Jacob1983
12-29-2012, 03:04 AM
Colin Farrell should stick to using his thick Irish accent like he did in In Bruges. When he does an American accent, it's usually a NY accent. That's kind of limited if you ask me.