PDA

View Full Version : How long would it take someone else to know everything you know ?

ErnestLynch
12-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Reason I ask is family members talking over Chistmas. You know how family is. Some better than others but my sister very arrogant but she never has done anything in her life really. She talking about politics and economy and things she know nothing about. We all roll eyes. She and my brother never get along so he say to her, 'I could learn everything you know in a matter of a couple of weeks IF I didn't already know it to begin with.' He probably could. Engineer, very smart. But it got me thinking about myself, and what I actually know and how long it would take someone else to know it that wasn't in my field as well as other things I have learned not work related. But I estimate, someone else could learn everything I know in matter of 500 hours and that is giving myself too much credit I think. We all know people that it would take years and others it would probably take days or no time at all. Now, I do not know how long it would take them to learn that 500 hours but that would be the actual time spent I think. Maybe even less. I know some people might say, I am 40 it would take 40 years. But we know that bullshit.

cantthinkofanything
12-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Infinity.

DMC
12-27-2012, 01:54 PM
It depends on whether you have 20 years of experience or 1 year of experience 20 times. There are some people who never cease to amaze me with the things they know, but some who seem to be beginners in things they've been doing all their lives.

I know 50 year olds who still cannot use a remote control without asking for help, and 20 year olds who could design one.

silverblk mystix
12-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Reason I ask is family members talking over Chistmas. You know how family is. Some better than others but my sister very arrogant but she never has done anything in her life really. She talking about politics and economy and things she know nothing about. We all roll eyes. She and my brother never get along so he say to her, 'I could learn everything you know in a matter of a couple of weeks IF I didn't already know it to begin with.' He probably could. Engineer, very smart. But it got me thinking about myself, and what I actually know and how long it would take someone else to know it that wasn't in my field as well as other things I have learned not work related. But I estimate, someone else could learn everything I know in matter of 500 hours and that is giving myself too much credit I think. We all know people that it would take years and others it would probably take days or no time at all. Now, I do not know how long it would take them to learn that 500 hours but that would be the actual time spent I think. Maybe even less. I know some people might say, I am 40 it would take 40 years. But we know that bullshit.

Of what earthly and/or practical use is it to know what someone else knows?

What is the worth of knowledge?

cantthinkofanything
12-27-2012, 03:08 PM

yours? a small bag of Skittles.

DMC
12-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Of what earthly and/or practical use is it to know what someone else knows?

In a hypothetical situation, it could prevent you from being knuckles deep in buck shit for a living. Just hypothetically.

silverblk mystix
12-27-2012, 04:08 PM
In a hypothetical situation, it could prevent you from being knuckles deep in buck shit for a living. Just hypothetically.

So you equate knowledge with happiness?

GoodOdor
12-27-2012, 04:12 PM

I'm pretty sure he was equating knowledge with money. You might be happy fingering assholes, but most people
would rather do a different job.....i.e more knowledge = more pay, a better job, better life, etc.

DMC
12-27-2012, 04:48 PM

It can get you the money to buy an 81' Merritt and name it "Happiness".

http://www.thehulltruth.com/attachments/boating-outdoor-photos/41113-walk-down-merritt-docks-pompano-dm1.jpg

Like George.

Koolaid_Man
12-27-2012, 06:07 PM
It depends on whether you have 20 years of experience or 1 year of experience 20 times. There are some people who never cease to amaze me with the things they know, but some who seem to be beginners in things they've been doing all their lives.

I know 50 year olds who still cannot use a remote control without asking for help, and 20 year olds who could design one.

you're too kind DMC...thanks for the compliment..I try

silverblk mystix
12-27-2012, 07:45 PM

Reck
12-27-2012, 07:51 PM

Only thing you know its how to get rejected by white women son. :lol

DMC
12-27-2012, 08:18 PM

You're not so bad. I'll give you credit for sticking to a decision long after everyone realizes it's obviously not working. At least you didn't choose e-bonics for your shtick like some others.

CuckingFunt
12-27-2012, 09:26 PM
I know some people might say, I am 40 it would take 40 years. But we know that bullshit.

Experience shapes what we know. The hypothetical answer you've scoffed is the only one that seems even remotely reasonable to me. For instance, I know plenty of people who've been taught all that I've been taught, but they don't know what I know. And vice versa.

ErnestLynch
12-27-2012, 10:04 PM
I think of my parents generation. My dad knew how to do a lot of things. He built his own house, but wasn't a builder by trade. He could overhaul and engine, but wasn't a mechanic by trade. He knew how to weld. Not that he could do it as a profession, but enough to do what he needed to do. A lot of people were like that years ago. They knew how to do many things. I think because of TV and the internet, entertainment in general, it consume so much of peoples time, they don't learn anything. People argue endlessly about politics and sports on the internet but that's not really knowing anything, is it ? People waste too much time learning things that are of little value to them or society in general. I guilty of this too and sometimes I feel bad for having wasted so much of my time doing pointless things. Like this. That just my opinion. I should go clean my garage but it too cold. That the other thing about my dad and his generation, they don't care if it too cold to work in the garage on a car or something. But, he fight in two wars and was tougher than me in general. I am soft. I think I kill myself now.

silverblk mystix
12-27-2012, 10:36 PM
I think of my parents generation. My dad knew how to do a lot of things. He built his own house, but wasn't a builder by trade. He could overhaul and engine, but wasn't a mechanic by trade. He knew how to weld. Not that he could do it as a profession, but enough to do what he needed to do. A lot of people were like that years ago. They knew how to do many things. I think because of TV and the internet, entertainment in general, it consume so much of peoples time, they don't learn anything. People argue endlessly about politics and sports on the internet but that's not really knowing anything, is it ? People waste too much time learning things that are of little value to them or society in general. I guilty of this too and sometimes I feel bad for having wasted so much of my time doing pointless things. Like this. That just my opinion. I should go clean my garage but it too cold. That the other thing about my dad and his generation, they don't care if it too cold to work in the garage on a car or something. But, he fight in two wars and was tougher than me in general. I am soft. I think I kill myself now.

You figured it out and yes you should.

DMC
12-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Experience shapes what we know. The hypothetical answer you've scoffed is the only one that seems even remotely reasonable to me. For instance, I know plenty of people who've been taught all that I've been taught, but they don't know what I know. And vice versa.

So they haven't sniffed the pungent effervescence of a bull dyke with a high top fade?

TimDunkem
12-27-2012, 10:44 PM
So they haven't sniffed the pungent effervescence of a bull dyke with a high top fade?

:lmao

CuckingFunt
12-27-2012, 11:13 PM

I don't know if they have or not.

But, then, neither have I. Effervescent or not, I tend to avoid pungent bull dykes.

baseline bum
12-28-2012, 12:16 AM
The original post reminds me of an xkcd comic

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/impostor.png

Latarian Milton
12-28-2012, 01:17 AM
you ain't gonna put into your brain EVERYTHING that someone else knows imho. but you can for sure build up a great knowledge in a new profession from bottom up and someday you'll preponderate the established professionals, and it's dependent upon your talent and intellect how long its gonna take imho

The Reckoning
12-28-2012, 07:55 AM
lol rockport smack

ploto
12-28-2012, 09:42 AM
No one could ever know everything I know (or everything anyone else knows) because part of knowledge comes from experience, and no one can experience exactly what I have experienced.

cantthinkofanything
12-28-2012, 10:30 AM
No one could ever know everything I know (or everything anyone else knows) because part of knowledge comes from experience, and no one can experience exactly what I have experienced.

I disagree with that. What's one example of something you know that someone else could not?

DMC
12-28-2012, 04:06 PM
I disagree with that. What's one example of something you know that someone else could not?

What's she's thinking.

DarkReign
12-29-2012, 12:19 AM

Her/his dreams. Visions, aspirations, etc.

The vision of what we *think* we are is sometimes more powerful than what we actually are. This will influence every facet of a person's life. Thus, there are literally hundreds if not thousands of things even your spouse of 60 years will never know that you know (and vice versa).

mouse
12-29-2012, 01:40 AM
yours? a small bag of Skittles.

So it's worth dying for?

thunderup
12-29-2012, 01:44 AM
:lol

mrsmaalox
12-29-2012, 06:42 PM
No response from Avante yet? Odd.