PDA

View Full Version : who has the coolest tattoo in the NBA?

milkyway21
06-30-2005, 12:51 AM
i know Tim has the Wizard & Joker on his back.

Any player who you think has the coolest tattoo in the league?

or maybe the worst tattoo? :rolleyes

baseline bum
06-30-2005, 12:52 AM
I've always thought that tat on Camby's arm was tight.

Obviously Kobe has the worst tats. They scream pussywhipped bitch.

LuvBones
06-30-2005, 12:58 AM
Toni Kukoc has a sexy shark tattoo on his left shoulder... always loved it.

Timoha
06-30-2005, 01:00 AM
i know Tim has the Wizard & Joker on his back.

Any player who you think has the coolest tattoo in the league?

or maybe the worst tattoo? :rolleyes

Doesn't TIm also have a third tatoo of knives or am I dreaming ? :spin

I don't like tatoos so I'll pass on this poll
:depressed

milkyway21
06-30-2005, 01:00 AM
what tattoo was on Amare's neck? can't read it....

look i have a cousin who wants one and he's actually looking for who do you think is best. he's 19, and a basketball player.

LuvBones
06-30-2005, 01:02 AM
Richard Jefferson with that giant RJ on his arm.. looks horrible. Kenyon Martin also looks horrible with all those tattoos.

milkyway21
06-30-2005, 01:04 AM
Richard Jefferson with that giant RJ on his arm.. looks horrible. RJ must love HIM so much:lmao

TDMVPDPOY
06-30-2005, 01:14 AM
cant beat jakotvas with the sharks on each arm :D

worst has got to be kobe, goes n cheats on his wife gets caught goes out buys a ring n gets a tatoo, pussywhip

Timoha
06-30-2005, 01:15 AM
I agree, Kobe has the worst and uglyest tatoo in all of NBA.

milkyway21
06-30-2005, 01:27 AM
2 sharks-Tony Kukoc & Jakotvas'

hmmnn...:rolleyes

jamie_oj
06-30-2005, 01:28 AM
hi, i m new to the board. i find pic of duncan's tattoo from www.suzannemcdonough.com, check the posting on 21 June :blah

milkyway21
06-30-2005, 01:47 AM
hi, i m new to the board. i find pic of duncan's tattoo from www.suzannemcdonough.com, check the posting on 21 June :blah

hi, thanks and welcome to the best forum in the NBA but hey..

what tattoo is this? little blurred to me.
http://www.suzannemcdonough.com/Images/062105/tim%20wfu%20swim.gif

and; Poor Duncan :D
http://www.suzannemcdonough.com/Images/062105/PISTON-SPURS-G1(12).jpg

Timoha
06-30-2005, 02:08 AM
I really thought that Tim had a third tatoo, anyone know anything about that? Tim also had a toungue ring but took it out a few years ago. I know there was one pic of it in the Spurs championship booklent or something. Anyone happen to have that pic? Thanks.

shyne
06-30-2005, 02:11 AM
Amares neck says " black jesus"

TheTruth
06-30-2005, 02:18 AM
Tom Gugliatta definately has the best tats in the NBA. :lmao

mavsfan1000
06-30-2005, 02:21 AM
Shaq having a tattoo on his arm with a superman logo is priceless :lol

jamie_oj
06-30-2005, 02:24 AM
hi, thanks and welcome to the best forum in the NBA but hey..

what tattoo is this? little blurred to me.
http://www.suzannemcdonough.com/Images/062105/tim%20wfu%20swim.gif

and; Poor Duncan :D
http://www.suzannemcdonough.com/Images/062105/PISTON-SPURS-G1(12).jpg

ITS A TATTOO OF MERLIN

San Antonio Express-News (Texas)
November 30, 1997, Sunday , FINAL

SECTION: SPORTS; Pg. 4, Part A

HEADLINE: Duncan's unusual hobby and more unusual request

BYLINE: Jerry Briggs

BODY: Tim Duncan has a couple of obsessions not usually equated with today's hip-hop NBA: Renaissance fairs, samurai swords, and most importantly, Dungeons and Dragons. Known as "D&D" among afficinados, the fantasy role playing game engages players' imaginations as they trek through the imaginary world of GreyHawk. Along the way, players encounter friendly and hostile dragons, elves and a variety of otherworldly beings.

"It's a great escape from the rigors of the NBA," Duncan said while rolling his lucky 20 sided die while casting a spell of invisibility.

"I got hooked on D&D at Wake (Forest). Me and some buddies would play for hours at a time until I had to go to practice. My character is a 13th level lawful evil sorceror named Merlin (after the magician from Arthurian legend). Today, he has 98 hit points and an armor class of 2. My Charisma is 21. That's perfect."

The game's jargon aside, Duncan has made a more permanent commitment to his love of D&D.

"I have a tattoo of Merlin. He's like my alter-ego."

D&D's traditional player community is often labelled as "nerdy," but that doesn't faze Duncan.

"If playing D&D and dressing up in my purple sorcerors hat, velvet cape and magic wand is nerdy, call me a nerd. Though I'd prefer you called me Merlin," he grinned.

His obsession with Merlin and the black arts led to Duncan's quiet feud with the NBA this off-season. Wanting the back of his jersey to read, "Merlin," instead of his last name, Duncan sought the help of the NBA Players Association. Citing the NBA uniform code, Duncan's unusual request was rejected by the league.

Though the NBA and Duncan officially have no comment on the situation, sources close to Duncan say that this is not a closed matter.

Timoha
06-30-2005, 02:39 AM
http://www.raditts.com/phyles/ogre-battle.large.mpeg

Some say that this is live footge of TIm playing D&D :lol

polandprzem
06-30-2005, 02:41 AM
Ostertag has got Fred Flinston just above his ankle

milkyway21
06-30-2005, 02:45 AM
"If playing D&D and dressing up in my purple sorcerors hat, velvet cape and magic wand is nerdy, call me a nerd. Though I'd prefer you called me Merlin," he grinned.

okay, Timmy opps Merlin from now on, i will call you Merlin....:lmao

P.S. I won't be surprised if Tim's new baby will be named Merlyn or Merlin. :baby :baby :baby

milkyway21
06-30-2005, 03:01 AM
so, the "European Spurs" -TP/Rasho or Manu don't have tattoos? only Tim on this team?

BTW, Timoha that video on Tim playing D&D doesn't work with my PC. any alternative? Thanks!:D

i was browsing on the net about tattoo then i found this........:lol

In the Paint : Tattoos of the NBA and the Stories Behind Them
by Andrew Gottlieb

Editorial Reviews
From Publishers Weekly
For many, the name Dennis Rodman conjures up much more than a picture of a basketball player; it evokes an image of shocking hair, outrageous tattoos and that amazing solo wedding. And while Rodman is unfortunately not featured in this collection of the NBA's most popular and wondered-about tattoos, stars like Shaq and Hardaway share the meaning (or the lack thereof) behind the tattoos they proudly display. Shaquille O'Neal's surprising response to what informed his decision to get tattooed with the Superman logo, his kids' names, Against the Law, etc., is "First of all, I got my tattoos because I was allowed to get them. You better believe I asked my mother first. :lol "

The "Part 2 Heaven Cent" tattoo etched on Penny Hardaway's left arm represents his spiritual side ("I wanted something to do with Christ") and the "Cent" plays on the name Penny. Jason Williams, on the other hand, admits: "Ah, hell, man. I don't have no meaning behind my tattoos," echoing the sentiment of several other players who have tattoos just because they like them. Closeup shots and honest explanations straight from the tattoo bearers may please and enlighten curious NBA fans. 25 b&w and 75 full-color photos.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Book Description
Photographs of the wildest, weirdest and most interesting tattoos of the NBA, accompanied by firsthand accounts of what the tattoos mean and why they're there.
Ten years ago, Dennis Rodman was the only NBA player with tattoos worth mentioning and back then he was considered a freak. Now around 70% of the league is "tatted out." The game is played so fast that it's hard to tell what even the most obvious tattoos actually are. And some of the most interesting ones are hidden behind jerseys or under socks. Allen Iverson has more than two dozen tattoos -- some you can see, some you can't. Some are obvious, like his nickname, "the answer," and some are cryptic like "Jewelz," or "NBN." What's on Stephon Marbury's forearm? What's covering Cherokee Parks' entire body? In the Paint takes you in the locker room and as close as you can get to the tattoos and the stories of the NBA.

Get under the skin of your favorite NBA players including: -- Shaquille O'Neal
-- Kenyon Martin
-- Chauncey Billups
-- Doug Christie
-- Mike Bibby
-- Penny Hardaway
-- Mateen Cleaves
-- Antonio Daniels
-- Corey Maggette
-- Larry Hughes
-- Allen Iverson
-- Moochie Norris
-- Karl Malone
-- Stephon Marbury
-- Cherokee Parks
-- Greg Ostertag
-- Jason Richardson
-- Jalen Rose
-- Quentin Richardson
-- Sean Rooks
-- Lorenzen Wright
-- Eric Williams
-- Jason Williams

In the Paint is filled with tattoos from NBA superstars, rookies, and journeymen. And for every tattoo there's a story. The stories take you behind the scenes, on the court and off. Some are sad, some are funny, some are bizarre but they're all interesting. The book has a nearly limitless audience -- basketball fans, photography and art lovers as well as aficionados of body art. In the Paint is primed to be the holiday gift book.

:rolleyes a book on tattoos?

Vashner
06-30-2005, 03:49 AM
Rodman had a lot of tats...

Eva
06-30-2005, 03:55 AM
Weed, I mean Sheed's sun tattoo is kinda kool

Ozzy
06-30-2005, 04:00 AM
Jason Kidd supposedly has a tattoo of a black panther on his left breast.

I can't find the picture anywhere though...

Timoha
06-30-2005, 04:45 AM
^^^^I don't know how to make an alternative vid. It's baisically a really really tall dude in costume playing D&D and some other people in costumes running around.

That book on NBA tats was in a bookstore near me, and ive skimmed through the whole thing...kind of interesting.

nzkickass
06-30-2005, 05:36 AM
I like Shaqs Superman, and Camby's chinese one on his arm.

samikeyp
06-30-2005, 07:20 AM
His obsession with Merlin and the black arts led to Duncan's quiet feud with the NBA this off-season. Wanting the back of his jersey to read, "Merlin," instead of his last name, Duncan sought the help of the NBA Players Association. Citing the NBA uniform code, Duncan's unusual request was rejected by the league.

:lol

Guru of Nothing
06-30-2005, 08:14 AM
http://zerfnba.iespana.es/archivo/cherokeeparks/galeria_cherokee_parks_01/cherokeeparks010.jpg

http://espn.go.com/media/nba/2003/1211/photo/parks_vi.jpg

Cant_Be_Faded
06-30-2005, 08:18 AM
Damn thats such an interesting article...I had no idea about that stuff.

He really wanted his uniform to say Merlin? I'd be lying if i said i werent skeptical about that one...

But the coolest Tattoo is without a DOUBT Rasheed Wallaces Family Portrait on his shoulder....the coolest fucking thing i've ever seen on a person's body!

Summers
06-30-2005, 08:29 AM
That is not Tim! :lol It's a guywearing a costume to make him look taller, but I remember people joking on another board that it was him.

I like Sheed's tat as well. It's very good work.

They apparently talked to Tim when they made that book, but he's not in it is he? My bookstore doesn't have it in stock anywhere, but if anyone knows if Tim's in it, would you let me know?

First Stop on the ‘Know Your NBA Tats’ Book Tour

3/20/2005
Jack Burditt Special to The Signal

Karl Malone has a tattoo. That’s what I was thinking when he recently retired as the second-leading scorer in NBA history.
A lot has been written and will continue to be written about Malone: The greatest power forward ever. Member of the original Dream Team. Never won an NBA championship. Teamed with future Hall-of-Famer John Stockton to form perhaps the game’s most prolific duo. His sharp elbows and sometimes bizarre quotes. His final season with that strange little sideshow known as the Lakers.
But all I could think about was his tattoo. It’s a buffalo skull, and it’s on his leg, but it is fairly well-hidden, and most NBA fans aren’t even aware that Malone ever had a tattoo.
Yet my buddy Andrew Gottlieb and I noticed it when we were in the Utah Jazz locker room a couple years back. So we approached Malone and asked him if there was a story behind the tattoo.
Yes, I realize that sounds like odd locker room behavior, scoping out tattoos and then inquiring about them, but for a few months that was our life’s pursuit.
Andrew and I were working as writers on “Watching Ellie,” an NBC sitcom starring Julia Louis Dreyfus. One day Andrew said he had the coolest idea for a book. Naturally, I winced. I don’t know how many times in the past I heard a writer say, “I’ve got the coolest idea for a book,” which is then followed up with an idea that doesn’t sound the least bit cool, and barely sounds like a book. Hell, I’ve had some of those ideas myself. And on one foolish occasion I went ahead and wrote the book, which now serves as a lovely coaster.
Andrew’s idea was a book called, “In the Paint: Tattoos of the NBA and the Stories Behind Them.” Like myself, Andrew was a huge NBA fan. But while I’d waste months of my life trying to figure out the triangle offense, Andrew was similarly obsessed with the tattoos sported by the majority of NBA players. Because tattoos are mostly permanent, he figured there must be a good story attached to each one.
I told Andrew I was shocked that his cool idea for a book was actually a cool idea for a book. Andrew said his problem was he didn’t know how to put it together or sell it. He was humbly asking me for my advice.
If there is one certainty in life it’s that only extremely desperate people with no other alternatives come to me for advice. Yet in this case I actually realized I could help him. Not because I had any wisdom to spout. Lord no, any wisdom I ever possessed was tapped dry by the time my first child was four and she started giving me advice.
I helped Andrew by simply placing a phone call to my then agent, Marty, a Don Corleone/Tony Soprano figure, only more powerful and intimidating. Before we knew it we were talking to NBA corporate executives, who all agreed this was a cool idea for a book. They would provide Andrew with press credentials to give him full access to NBA players as they passed through Los Angeles.
I had long bragged to my cohorts about the long and distinguished career I had as a journalist, knowing full well that sitcom writers would be too disinterested to ever research the facts and expose me as a fraud. So when Andrew asked me to help him with the interviews I had to say yes. Besides, I wasn’t about to pass up the opportunity to have full access to NBA games and players. We were given the keys to the kingdom.
We were also warned that NBA players aren’t the easiest interviews in the world, that they hate answering questions and for the most part give quotes that are perfunctory or cliched.
But that’s when they’re being asked the same question about team play or opponents for the hundredth time. No one would do well under those conditions. And indeed we saw their weariness as we approached. Yet the moment we told them about the book, their faces would light up. They were all too eager to tell the stories behind them.
Okay, there were exceptions. Vlade Divac has a panther on his shoulder. We asked him about it. His reply was, “I like panther.” Then he shrugged, a gesture caught somewhere between boredom and sadness, and then he just stared off in thought. He was the one player who really seemed to show regret about getting a tattoo. Or maybe, in retrospect, he decided he just doesn’t like panthers.
But other players were excited about each and every one of their tattoos. For a guy like Allen Iverson, who has 22 in all, that’s a boatload of excitement. And players seemed eager to learn about other players tattoos, a mutual respect society in full swing. The consensus in the league was that Stephon Marbury and Cherokee Parks sport the best tats in the league.
Among the most popular themes are Chinese letters and symbols (although some players seemed unclear about their exact meaning), and tributes to moms. The latter serves two purposes. One, for many of these players, their mothers are the most important people in their lives. Two, they live in fear of their moms, and they feel the only way they won’t get into trouble for getting a tattoo is by dedicating at least one to said mom.
Sadly, another popular theme was to fallen family members and comrades.
But mostly the tattoos are for inspiration, or just fun. Like Shaq’s “Superman,” Greg Ostertag’s “Fred Flintstone,” Parks’ “Danger Girl,” crazy Jason Williams’ “White Boy” and Tim Duncan’s “Skele-jester.” What’s a skele-jester, you ask? Yeah, that’s what we asked.
“A skele-jester,” Duncan replied, shocked that he would have to offer any more information. He said it like anyone else would say, “It’s a cat. You know, a cat.”
So Andrew, showing much more locker room courage than I would ever possess, said, “Okay, you’re going to have to take off your shirt and turn around to give us a better look.” Surprisingly, Duncan did just that. Next thing we knew we were looking at a skeleton with a jester’s cap on. Of course, a skele-jester.
Every player we approached was cooperative.
And then there was Karl Malone. We asked him if there was a story behind his buffalo skull tattoo he wanted to share with us. He answered, “No.” But it was the way he said no, and the way he stared at us afterwards, that made it clear if we asked him again it would be the last question we ever asked anyone, which only strengthened my old point of view that no good ever comes from anything to do with Utah.
So we slinked (and yes, that is the first time in my life I ever slinked) away from his locker. John Stockton saw what happened and called us over.
“Hey, guys,” John beckoned, “you want a candy bar?” Andrew and I looked at each other, not sure what was happening. But only insane men turn down candy bars, so we shrugged and answered, “Sure.”
Stockton reached into a bag of candy bars he kept in his locker and gave each of us one. Then he chatted for a while. And I started thinking, “Did he always keep candy bars handy for the people that Malone was mean to? Is this what made them such a dynamic duo? Good cop, bad cop. Or grouchy power forward, candy bar-toting point guard.”
All I know now is I’m going to miss Malone. I hope to run into him someday and tell him how much I respected his game. And, if Stockton is anywhere in the vicinity, I hope to ask him the story behind his tattoo. Because that was one hell of a candy bar.

Jack Burditt is a TV writer. “In the Paint: Tattoos of the NBA and the Stories Behind Them,” by Andrew Gottlieb, is available at amazon. com.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-30-2005, 08:31 AM
LOL isnt it weird how rumors start? I read on spursreport that people thought that same video was duncan too. How do things like this start?

LOL...lightning bolt! lightning bolt! lightning bolt! lightning bolt!

hahahaha

ObiwanGinobili
06-30-2005, 08:58 AM
BODY: Tim Duncan has a couple of obsessions not usually equated with today's hip-hop NBA: Renaissance fairs, samurai swords, and most importantly, Dungeons and Dragons. Known as "D&D" among afficinados, the fantasy role playing game engages players' imaginations as they trek through the imaginary world of GreyHawk. Along the way, players encounter friendly and hostile dragons, elves and a variety of otherworldly beings.

"It's a great escape from the rigors of the NBA," Duncan said while rolling his lucky 20 sided die while casting a spell of invisibility.

"I got hooked on D&D at Wake (Forest). Me and some buddies would play for hours at a time until I had to go to practice. My character is a 13th level lawful evil sorceror named Merlin (after the magician from Arthurian legend). Today, he has 98 hit points and an armor class of 2. My Charisma is 21. That's perfect."

A. I feel really special knowing that Timmy is just a big a dork as me and my whole family. OMG we could adopt him.

B. His Charisma is 21?? How many times did he roll for that one?? I hate when peopel roll for like 3 hours. I'll be trying to play Baldur's gate on my PC and my dumbass husband has to roll like 3,000 times to get it "just right". ugh!

TNT21
06-30-2005, 10:09 AM
Lightning Bolt, Lightning Bolt, Lightning Bolt!

milkyway21
06-30-2005, 08:18 PM
http://zerfnba.iespana.es/archivo/cherokeeparks/galeria_cherokee_parks_01/cherokeeparks010.jpg

http://espn.go.com/media/nba/2003/1211/photo/parks_vi.jpg

:wow :wow

milkyway21
06-30-2005, 08:23 PM
My Charisma is 21. That's perfect."

so is this the reason why Tim's jersey no is 21?

Timoha
06-30-2005, 08:24 PM
LOL isnt it weird how rumors start? I read on spursreport that people thought that same video was duncan too. How do things like this start?

LOL...lightning bolt! lightning bolt! lightning bolt! lightning bolt!

hahahaha

i never thought that it was tImmy in the vedio. but its fun to imagine that it is
:elephant

TheAdmiral#50
06-30-2005, 08:40 PM
I like Sheed's tatt's.

Mark in Austin
06-30-2005, 09:46 PM
Wallace's family portrait. Nothing else I've seen comes close.

Horry For 3!
06-30-2005, 10:11 PM

:lmao @ that! Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt!

tw05baller
06-30-2005, 10:35 PM
ok, i know everyones already killed it but that lightning bolt, lightning bolt. is funny :lmao

BlueShark#6
06-30-2005, 10:44 PM
Vlade.

Summers
06-30-2005, 10:56 PM
so is this the reason why Tim's jersey no is 21?

I realize you're probably joking, but for the benefit of those who don't know, Tim chose #21 as a tribute to his brother-in-law who taught him how to play when he was a kid. 21 was Ricky's number when he played in college. :)

Spursdaone
06-30-2005, 11:48 PM
This thread should be changed to who has the dumbest tattoos in the league? I am not a big fan of tattoos and some of them are just plain stupid.

Summers
06-30-2005, 11:55 PM
Well, then start your own thread. This thread is about cool tattoos for those of us who do have them or like them.

:)

"Black Jesus" is the dumbest tattoo, btw.

Spursdaone
06-30-2005, 11:59 PM
Starting a new thread on stupid tattoos is pretty redundent to this thread. It is not worth starting but if you want to add to this also about the stupid tattoos with cool tattoos I don't see a problem with that.

CalsonicKansei
07-01-2005, 12:07 AM
I like Iverson's scull skeleton under his brace that is on his arm. If you want to see it, and you have NBA Live 2004 you can go to the edit screen (accessories) and remove the brace from Iverson to see the tattoo. It quite big.

Wallace ²
07-01-2005, 07:04 AM
Can anyone find a picture of Sheeds portrait?

My favorite tattoos are ones that go with the person or their nickname. For example...

Damon Stoudamire has Mighty Mouse
Ben Wallace has Big Ben

I just like when they have meaning and aren't random

theMUHMEshow
07-01-2005, 07:34 AM
Iversons Tat that has the bull dog and says only the strong survive

Sheeds Sun of course

I HATE THE TAT THAT DOUG CHRISTIE HAS!

I like Cambys

I like the script on Kenyon Martins forearm too

WayDowntownBang
07-01-2005, 07:42 AM
The Egyptian Family tat of Sheed:

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/IMG/jpg/wallace1x1.jpg

mcornelio
07-01-2005, 11:52 AM

HOLY SHIT... YOU GUYS ALWAYS HAVE A WAY TO MAKE ME FALL OFF MY CHAIR LAUGHING... THATS JUST HILARIOUS!!! LIGHTNING BOLT!

alamo50
07-01-2005, 12:07 PM
02/15/2002 - Updated 01:29 AM ET

A 20-second timeout with Cherokee Parks

What's 6-11 and a walking, blocking art gallery?

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/nba/_photos2/2002-02-15-parks.jpg
By Eric Gay, AP
Cherokee Parks has colorful pictures on his right and left shoulders (wings and roses) and his right calf.

Cherokee Parks is one of the NBA's most colorful players. He has managed to separate himself when it comes to tattoos in a league where it is easier to count the players who don't have art on their bodies — most of Parks' are colored. A Duke graduate, the free-spirited San Antonio forward does not fit the clean-cut Blue Devils image associated with Grant Hill, Shane Battier or Elton Brand. USA TODAY's Matthew James Weeks spoke with Parks about his tattoos.

How many tattoos do you have?

Actually I don't like needles at all. But I have about 13 or 14. I've got them on my chest, back, stomach, right leg and both arms, shoulder to elbows. I also have one on the back of my neck.

Where wouldn't you have a tattoo placed?

Stay off the ribs — they are the worst. One of my boys has got a devil in his armpit. It looks so dope, but it would be unbearable to get. I don't see anyway how that could be done. But it looks killer.

What's your most significant tattoo?

I like them all. They all remind me of something. I have some with names of my kids and my girl. My mom's name is on one, too. I like big, big bold pictures and lots of color ... a lot of old-school stuff. Some guys have themes. Most guys just do black work. I like stuff that's going to hold color.

What are people's reactions to your tattoos?

I get a lot of (grief) when we're on the road. I'm a white guy with a lot of tattoos with color, so they stick out. Like someone will say 'Hey Parks, nice tattoo.' And I'm like 'All right. You got me, thanks dogg.' Whatever. I think it's a lot of old-school Duke haters. Where I live in Orange County (Calif.), there are a lot of young fools running around with tattoos. Most people say 'Look at all the crap on your skin.' But you have one chance to live, and you have to do it the way you want to. To me, if you take care of business and hurt nobody, it's cool.

How would you explain to fans why NBA players have so many tattoos?

A lot of guys get stuff because of a family member. Some have them because it's (popular) where they're from and what they're into. It's just how you look at yourself and what makes you comfortable. I'm one of the few guys who has straight-up art. On my left arm, it's skulls, flames, wings and roses.

Who do NBA players feel have the best tattoos in the league?

Damon Stoudamire's got a portrait, and that's really hard. You better have the right guy doing it otherwise it would look nothing like what you want. Marcus Camby has something written in Asian on his arm. That's really cool. Tim Hardaway's got a character from the movie A Bug's Life on his leg. And Darius Miles has the words "St. Louis" on his arm. Brian Grant has some nice ones. So does Jason Williams, Allen (Iverson), (Corey) Maggette and (Sean) Rooks.

Do players recommend tattoo artists?

It's pretty much who you're comfortable with. I like hanging down in Balboa near Newport Beach, Calif. It's just a good crew down at a parlor there. (Dennis) Rodman has been in there a couple of times because he lives down the street.

Do you consider yourself a typical basketball player from Duke?

I did have tattoos at school. I had one on my ankle and one on my back, but none were visible. Around my junior year I shaved my head and dyed it blonde ... (coach Mike Krzyzewski) had a meeting with me after that. Image is important to him. K (Krzyzewski) is definitely changing with the times, though. Now you've got (Jason) Williams and (Carlos) Boozer with tattoos and scruff going. When I was there, you couldn't have any facial hair. Once I got in the NBA and got divorced, though, I let loose.

How does your family feel about your body art?

My mom gives me an 'Oh God,' now and then. My sister (Corey) has more than I do. She's got a full sleeve. I've got to get my sleeves done.